• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

epmode

is there a place to buy guns from? I don't think i've seen them yet. But I just got to defiance bay after restarting. so maybe that's why. Would like one for my cipher.

A street vendor in Copperlane sells em. They're relatively expensive compared to other base weapons but at least they're available. I couldn't find a blunderbuss through all of Act 1!

is there a place to buy guns from? I don't think i've seen them yet. But I just got to defiance bay after restarting. so maybe that's why. Would like one for my cipher.
A street vendor in Copperlane sells em. They're relatively expensive compared to other base weapons but at least they're available. I couldn't find a blunderbuss through all of Act 1!

There are also a pair of rather good pistols in the exclusive store inside the brothel.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Ok I'm seeing talk about cipher with a soul whip and using the soul whip and that confusing me. Isn't the soul whip just a passive ability that basically makes you gain focus as you do normal attacks with any weapon? Doesn't every cipher start with that?

Gaz_RB

Well it's tutorial segment for a game while kickstarting story. You could think it as pilot episode for TV series, you know it will look sucky in hindsight as series find its pacing and gets going.

Yeaah that's a good point. My friend was watching me like 25 hours in and he was getting super excited while I was showing him the stronghold stuff and my party set up and the open world/questing. He went out and bought it and couldn't make it through the first section. I enjoyed it because I love these types of games, but I can see how it doesn't grab any newcomers.

Hmm, I dunno. Now, I get that you might want to keep him out of harm's way, but Priests have so many powerful spells that are tiny AoEs centered around the caster. With quarterstaff or another extra reach melee weapon, Durance will stand right behind your tank(s) dealing damage through them, and you'll have better opportunities to use his small AoE spells. I know you can do this with proper ranged weapons, but it takes just a little bit more micromanagement with your positioning

This is exactly how I play him and it works great- he's parked right behind my tank and Kanu so he can melee with extended reach but is protected from harm himself.

It's just a hassle to me to have to disengage Durance, especially when dealing with big mobs and you can't predict who they will engage. So for me I prefer to not have to deal with him dying all the time and just keep him in the back.

You can manipulate the engagement system pretty effectively. With the right skills your tank should be pulling 3 or 4 enemies himself. If you select an enemy then the cursor will highlight who they are targeting. So if at the beginning of a fight if any of them are bee-lining toward Durance, have your tank or someone else with good defense take a couple of shots at an enemy targeting Durance and they will take the aggro from him.

You can also use the Cipher's push back ability (forgot the name) to break engagement on an enemy engaged in melee with Durance.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Phew, you have so many options with a higher level party that with a little coordination pretty much nothing stands a chance. Triple Crown Solo is going to be the real challenge on a second playthrough. ;b

Do you guys think the stronghold is such a money sink without any real benefit? I mean the bonus is worst than other inn, and I don't even know why i store prisoners....

jtb

Banned
Do you guys think the stronghold is such a money sink without any real benefit? I mean the bonus is worst than other inn, and I don't even know why i store prisoners....

Seems like it.

Doesn't generate anywhere near enough money to justify the investment.

Once fully upgraded the inn will be a free spot to rest with bonuses that are better than any other inn i've seen in the game so far.
And its free.

Blizzard

Banned
Phew, you have so many options with a higher level party that with a little coordination pretty much nothing stands a chance. Triple Crown Solo is going to be the real challenge on a second playthrough. ;b
I just started trying triple crown solo on a second character, when my main character hasn't even gotten past (early location)
Gilded Vale
. What could go wrong! :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Steady income, lots of crafting components generated, missions for inactive party members to give them experience and loot, etc. etc. It's not really about the resting bonuses at all. And you'll see why you store prisoners eventually.

DrSlek

Interesting. I found caed nua pretty easy where I struggled in raedrics keep. Maybe I need a different weapon set for my rogue to handle the heavy armored paladins.

Well my general strategy for combat is to run through a door and block the door with my fighters while my spellcasters ruin everyone through the doorway.

Volodja

There's 2 Utility talents that heal Health.
One is Field Triage for an ally (1 per rest)
The other is Wound Binding for the caster only (1 per rest)

It probably takes a strategy similar to speed runs, doing all sort of quest out or order based on whether their require combat.

Dresden

Rerolled tonight as a cipher, decided to just start potd. Really enjoying it. I get a feeling that this would be much easier if Aloth wasn't such a deadweight, though - never came across this Slicken spell everyone talks about so he's reduced to using Fetid Caress or Chill Fog, which isn't bad, but nothing compared to the contributions from Durance or my Cipher PC. Got a Fine Arbalest while doing Ranga's chores, so it should smooth things out a bit.

One more question: The chanter ability to quickly reload ranger weapon. Is this only apply to the bow and crossbow? Does this also apply to paladin's gun?

pahamrick

Fuck my life. I think I got hit with that save corrupting bug. Go to load back into my game and the load button and continue button are grayed out. Restart a couple times, no go. Saves weren't listed in the directory, either.

Fuck.

Blizzard

Banned
The wiki has not been very useful most times I try to look anything up. Does anyone know what affect it has on a ranger when the pet dies? It seemed to revive with no ill effects at the end of the fight. The only clue I found was something in the wiki saying that the ranger and pet share health and endurance pools.

Narag

The wiki has not been very useful most times I try to look anything up. Does anyone know what affect it has on a ranger when the pet dies? It seemed to revive with no ill effects at the end of the fight. The only clue I found was something in the wiki saying that the ranger and pet share health and endurance pools.

A debuff pops up next to the rangers portrait with the penalty iirc. I'll see if I can snag a quick screenshot

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Expose Vulnerabilites you guys. I took this on a whim from a level up. It's a godsend. It turned some of the High DR monsters I'd been fighting from struggles into cakewalks. The debuff power is really amazing if you have a party that can deal a lot of damage from other characters than the Wizard. Double especially if they are dual wielding. It's really an amazing spell in some setups. Highly worth the cost over the big names like Fireball, etc.

Blizzard

Banned
A debuff pops up next to the rangers portrait with the penalty iirc. I'll see if I can snag a quick screenshot
Thanks, I didn't catch it.

Also, for both speedrunning and path of iron attempts, it would REALLY be nice if there were some sort of way to skip cutscenes. There are unskippable sections with that jittery camera pan that are rather annoying when you are just trying to move on.

JC Sera

No luck with the earlier save. Whatever triggered the glitch, it's many, many hours in the past. Do many other quests run through the House of Mysteries?
The quest where you need to get
the animancer's journal from the inner sanctum, however that cam be solved by murdering them all

Rad-

The last few hours I have been wondering how the hell Durance never misses an attack. So now I cleared this one whole area of enemies and kept checking the stat window and yes, he didn't miss a single attack. He has the worst accuracy in my team and the other guys miss quite regularly but Durance just hits every time. I think he is bugged but I love him for it.

Expose Vulnerabilites you guys. I took this on a whim from a level up. It's a godsend. It turned some of the High DR monsters I'd been fighting from struggles into cakewalks. The debuff power is really amazing if you have a party that can deal a lot of damage from other characters than the Wizard. Double especially if they are dual wielding. It's really an amazing spell in some setups. Highly worth the cost over the big names like Fireball, etc.

Yep, all DR lowering stuff are pretty much a must if you have any weaker attacking weapons. For example if you have a dude dual wielding fast weapons, take vulnerable attack asap or he won't be making almost any damage later in the game.

Burt

Rerolled tonight as a cipher, decided to just start potd. Really enjoying it. I get a feeling that this would be much easier if Aloth wasn't such a deadweight, though - never came across this Slicken spell everyone talks about so he's reduced to using Fetid Caress or Chill Fog, which isn't bad, but nothing compared to the contributions from Durance or my Cipher PC. Got a Fine Arbalest while doing Ranga's chores, so it should smooth things out a bit.

Well, once you power through to level 8 or 9, he and one other caster are pretty much enough to relegate everyone else to meatshield or worthless, so... balance?

No long term effects. I think it's -20 accuracy and -10 will in combat, maybe -10 to another defense or two, but that's it. The wiki seems to be loaded up with stuff from much earlier builds, so I'm assuming that shared pool thing is outdated.

The last few hours I have been wondering how the hell Durance never misses an attack. So now I cleared this one whole area of enemies and kept checking the stat window and yes, he didn't miss a single attack. He has the worst accuracy in my team and the other guys miss quite regularly but Durance just hits every time. I think he is bugged but I love him for it.

Is he using a wand? It could be the enemies in that area have much lower magic resistance than physical resistance.

Narag

Thanks, I didn't catch it.

Here you go:
3vFLQ8X.jpg

Thanks. Then it must have been a different skill. Sorry I am still in the early game. This game is so good... I pick it up yesterday and have already logged 12 hrs....

No sweat.
I'm still fairly early in the game as well, but my PC is a paladin so I know a thing about Lay on Hands. I have no clue about that paladin healing spell either.

JC Sera

Any tips for a chanter build?
I have a Double Chanter team,
Kana and the watcher
build so you get extra abilities to use (from talents/items) to fill in the time before your invocations are ready,
or build to be pretty ok at being able to hit things and take a hit. They are good midline fighters.
Chanter actually has pretty good stats for melee, compared to all other casters.

Any stat is pretty good on a chanter, I would choose the ones you want to use for RP
Chanters are not dependent on Might if you are going summon buff/debuff chanter.

Meier

Played for about 2 hours.. got the mage and the blonde fighter in my team. I am a ranger with a wolf companion (up to level 3 now). Disappointed with the combat in this though.. your teammates really aren't very smart. My ranger should be hanging back more and he kind of rushes in more often than not. It's not uncommon for only part of my party (one person for instance) to go and attack as well. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but there's room for improvement to be sure.

Played for about 2 hours.. got the mage and the blonde fighter in my team. I am a ranger with a wolf companion (up to level 3 now). Disappointed with the combat in this though.. your teammates really aren't very smart. My ranger should be hanging back more and he kind of rushes in more often than not. It's not uncommon for only part of my party (one person for instance) to go and attack as well. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but there's room for improvement to be sure.

There is literally no AI for companions. You need to micromanage them. The only thing they will do on there own is close distance to initiate whatever attack you direct.

Played for about 2 hours.. got the mage and the blonde fighter in my team. I am a ranger with a wolf companion (up to level 3 now). Disappointed with the combat in this though.. your teammates really aren't very smart. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but there's room for improvement to be sure.

You should not be relying on companion AI at all. This isn't like Dragon Age where companions automatically employ tactics, you need to be in control of both the positions and the actions of your party at all times.

There's no real AI beyond auto attacking. It's a shame because some sort of programmable tactics setting would be great to have for less difficult fights.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do Paladins get interesting later? I'm level 4 and all I can do is swing the fire sword spell and do a lay on hands. Even the tank companion is more interesting than this.

Top Bottom