• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2015

Simbabbad

Considering the closeness of the timing of the NX announcement and this one, I'd say common sense points to a Twilight Princess situation at the very least.
No. First, NX could be a portable console. And then, NX was announced only to make clear Nintendo isn't stopping hardware production after the DeNA deal. We could be years from an actual reveal/release.

cacildo

Instead Nintendo came and took a game away from us. Ouch.

Exactly

Nice how they drop this late on a Friday evening (at least in the U.S.). That's a classic "hide the bad news" move if I ever saw one.

You know, i think directs should be on saturdays....

I know weekend news dont travel as fast as working day news, but...

The weekends are so empty when it comes to videogame news, maybe this could really shake things up. Plus, a lot of us that misses directs because of work could finally watch a direct without any pressure

Pachimari

Considering the closeness of the timing of the NX announcement and this one, I'd say common sense points to a Twilight Princess situation at the very least.
This is ridiculous. Nothing, absolutely nothing points to a NX release. For all we know it could end up being a Skyward Sword situation.

Also, there's nothing for me to be excited about this year other than Splatoon. But that's fine, as it gives me time to play last years games which are still just on my shelf. And for my PS4 and PC library to grow.

cacildo

"We are working on a new system and the code name is NX..."

"WOW! IT WILL BE RELEASED NEXT WEEK RIGHT?"

People people... sometimes it seems you dont know how things works... if something exciting is mentioned, it means its at least 2 years away

TheMoon

...... Woah. I wonder if those tweets saying Nintendo fans should get hyped for this week knew about THIS? This is just cruel!! Thinking we're getting some new footage but all we got was a damn delay.

Don't be silly. Nobody knew about this.

There's really nothing I'm interested in for the Wii U this year now aside from Splatoon and maybe Yoshi.

What a bummer. :(

If you're saying this because of Zelda then you should seriously look at XenobladeX.

ozfunghi

so Fatal Frame, its got a chance now, right?

Ninty needs something to fill that new hole in the schedule, they just can't keep it in Japan forever, right? (voice begins to break)Right?

(cradles face in hands, sobs quietly)

They should localize it regardless. But indeed, espcially now.

TheMoon

I know that, just so stupid to think that we were getting hyped for a possible Direct this week.

We had good reason to. We assumed that they were following the SM3DW pattern of inviting press to play the game and shortly after the embargo on those impressions lifts, there was a Nintendo Direct. It was looking like we'd see a repeat of this now with Splatoon but they seem to have a different schedule for it right now. Things are looking good for next week though. Sometime soon we'll get one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A lot riding on Splatoon for me as X feels like a Fall game now with the need for games and localization.

That means for retail stuff there is Splatoon for me, and I guess Yoshi if we ever get a date.

Considering Mario Party does nothing for me, that's a shit ton riding on Splatoon to fill a mega gap.

jariw

We had good reason to. We assumed that they were following the SM3DW pattern of inviting press to play the game and shortly after the embargo on those impressions lifts, there was a Nintendo Direct. It was looking like we'd see a repeat of this now with Splatoon but they seem to have a different schedule for it right now. Things are looking good for next week though. Sometime soon we'll get one.

The Splatoon marketing schedule follows the MK8 marketing schedule pretty well so far. The MK8 Direct was one month before release (April 30th 2014). The press played selected MK8 courses on April 3rd 2014, compared to March 23rd 2015 for Splatoon.

rodan

Neo Member
Only got my wii u a couple of weeks ago, now lots of rumours that it is being wound down... but have great backlog to work through and looking forward to X and splatoon.

Can only buy one full priced game per month, not so bad for me, but If you had the system from the start then it looks a little thin this year.

jmizzal

Only got my wii u a couple of weeks ago, now lots of rumours that it is being wound down... but have great backlog to work through and looking forward to X and splatoon.

Can only buy one full priced game per month, not so bad for me, but If you had the system from the start then it looks a little thin this year.

2nd half of the year is loaded for me

Splatoon, X, Devils third, Star Fox, Mario Maker plus we dont now what else

Wish Zelda was still coming tho, X makes it easier to deal with

rodan

Neo Member
2nd half of the year is loaded for me

Splatoon, X, Devils third, Star Fox, Mario Maker plus we dont now what else

Wish Zelda was still coming tho, X makes it easier to deal with

As a wii u newb, wasn't aware of devils third, just watched a couple of vids of it, added it to my list!

TheMoon

It's just typical internet nonsense, no actual rumors. The schedule is packed already for this year and Iwata just said in January there are still a unannounced Wii U games in development. Hell, we're even getting some unexpected third party retail nuggets again (Rodea, Legend of Kay Anniversary). Besides, even without Zelda, 2015 is way more packed that 2014 and that was an awesome year, quality wise.

I just bought Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and Bayonetta 2. I think I'm in for some great Wii U gaming. Pretty excited about Splatoon, though. 2014 was a great year for Wii U, I hope 2015 will be just as good or better.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think zelda will be partially compensated by other unannounced games. 2016 topic could be way thinner if they will not show 2016 games for real at e3

jariw

2014 was an epic year for Nintendo.

2015, not so much.

For me personally. It'll be a wasteland.

Perhaps a bit too early to judge that? Were there any posts in March 2014 saying that 2014 will be an epic year for the Wii U games? Back then, it was mostly about if Iwata should be fired or not, IIRC.

TheMoon

Perhaps a bit too early to judge that? Were there any posts in March 2014 saying that 2014 will be an epic year for the Wii U games? Back then, it was mostly about if Iwata should be fired or not, IIRC.

We're reading the exact same posts every year. "OMG they have nothing. Game 1, 2, 3 and 4 don't interest me, only Game 5 but that is too far out" ...

Pachimari

We're reading the exact same posts every year. "OMG they have nothing. Game 1, 2, 3 and 4 don't interest me, only Game 5 but that is too far out" ...
Take it easy guys.
Of course I'm talking about the current lineup and not about unannounced games. What else can I comment on?

Am I not allowed to say Yoshi, Kirby, Mario Maker, Star Fox and Xeno is a weak lineup to me?

I didn't say the Wii U has a weak lineup in March of last year, and I didn't say that the year prior. What is this making GAF a single person?

while im upset zelda got delayed atleast that will give me time to concentrate on other games this year.

Devils Third
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Star fox
Xenoblade chronicles X
Yoshi's wolly world

Lego Jurassic World
Lego Marvel's Avengers

Thats not including games i have that i still need to beat or 100%

Pokemon Rumble U
The wonderful 101
Donkey Kong Country tropical freeze (need to 100%)
Hyrule Warriors (still h ave so much to do in this game damn u dlc >.<)
bayonetta
Captain Toad treasure tracker (need to complete all the hide and seek puzzles)
Kirby and the rainbow curse (need to beat and 100%)
Mario vs donkey kong tipping stars
mario party 10 (need to 100%)
a ton of third party games i still need to beat >.<

TheMoon

Take it easy guys.
Of course I'm talking about the current lineup and not about unannounced games. What else can I comment on?

Am I not allowed to say Yoshi, Kirby, Mario Maker, Star Fox and Xeno is a weak lineup to me?

I didn't say the Wii U has a weak lineup in March of last year, and I didn't say that the year prior. What is this making GAF a single person?

I should've probably specified that my post wasn't directly referring back to yours.

jariw

Take it easy guys.

Personally, I find it difficult to judge if games are going to be weak or not before the games are released.

Games like Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, Tropical Freeze and 3D World were much much better games than I expected them to be in advance. Game & Wario and NintendoLand were not as fun as I expected them to be.

And a game like MK8 was about what I expected when I first played it, but with the courses of the DLC1 it almost became a totally new game.

I don't know enough about Mario Maker, Yoshi and Star Fox to make any assumptions on the quality or scope of the games. And ultimately, I don't know yet exactly what the Wii U games of 2015 will be.

Pachimari

Well, I can tell what kind of games will fit my style based on media released. I would assume everybody would be capable of doing that.

Objectively, yeah, these games will be amazing games no doubt. But personally, I don't think it'll be something I'll spend my time on. I haven't even had the will to play much of Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 and haven't even opened my Bayonetta duo or Pikmin 3 - but I will eventually when I feel like it. :)

But objectively, they will highly likely be very great games.

Well in other news not likely big enough for a thread, Rhys Lewis has left Retro, who was their only employee who was at Rare (he was a Programmer on BK) and started his own company:

https://twitter.com/SquareheadStdio

Is ANYONE capable of staying at Retro? :/ No other dev at Nintendo is this much of a revolving door. *sigh*

EDIT: Their game Star Drift is composed by DAVID FUCKING WISE?! o_O

https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames/status/570191818685603840

I tweeted Squarehead asking if it might ever show up on Wii U. PLEASE!!!

When they have such a great team as to go from the amazing Metroid Prime Trilogy to the fantastic Donkey Kong Country Returns games, I really don't mind.

Must be stressful not having the freedom you'd like working under the close watch of the big 3 companies.

Good luck to him, he's earned a shot on his own. :)

Gambit

Well in other news not likely big enough for a thread, Rhys Lewis has left Retro, who was their only employee who was at Rare (he was a Programmer on BK) and started his own company:

Is ANYONE capable of staying at Retro? :/ No other dev at Nintendo is this much of a revolving door. *sigh*

Yea, but no other Nintendo dev is in America. I seem to recall people saying that such a high turn-over is very common for game developers there.

AniHawk

2014 was an epic year for Nintendo.

2015, not so much.

For me personally. It'll be a wasteland.

2014 was mario kart 8, pushmo world, kirby triple deluxe, yoshi's new island, dkc tf (if you like the kinds of games retro makes), smash bros. and captain toad...

2015 is kirby, splatoon, xenoblade, codename steam, star fox, mario maker, and yoshi.

i don't know. i think i'd take 2015. hoping that xenoblade isn't some sort of massive disappointment, but if it lives up to the hype i think it'd outclass anything from last year just by itself.

2014 was mario kart 8, pushmo world, kirby triple deluxe, yoshi's new island, dkc tf (if you like the kinds of games retro makes), smash bros. and captain toad...

2015 is kirby, splatoon, xenoblade, codename steam, star fox, mario maker, and yoshi.

i don't know. i think i'd take 2015. hoping that xenoblade isn't some sort of massive disappointment, but if it lives up to the hype i think it'd outclass anything from last year just by itself.

LOL What are you trying to say? ;)

Pachimari

And I understand that perspective perfectly well. :)

Bayonetta 1+2

As a new Wii U owner, I'm much more interested in picking up games from last year than this one.

DKC: Tropical Freeze - I'm expecting this to be one of the best 2D platformers I've played, given the user impressions.

Bayonetta 2 - I'm also expecting this to be one of the best character-action games I've played, too.

Smash Bros & Mario Kart 8 - Picking these both up for fun quickplays and multiplayer with friends.

Captain Toad & Pushmo World - Relaxing platform puzzlers.

Kirby & Yoshi - Not interested. I've had my fill of Kirby on the Wii with Yarn and Return to DL.

Kirby & Yoshi - Not interested. See above.

Splatoon - Seems like a cool concept...will keep an eye out for this one.

Xenoblade - I actually didn't like its predecessor at all.

Codename Steam - I love SRPGs, but given the intolerable enemy turns, I'm passing on it for my 3DS. Not a fan of its art direction either.

Star Fox - Don't know much about their new entry, but will be interested.

Mario Maker - Don't care for the build-it-yourself concept.

-Horizon-

EDIT: Their game Star Drift is composed by DAVID FUCKING WISE?! o_O

https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames/status/570191818685603840

I tweeted Squarehead asking if it might ever show up on Wii U. PLEASE!!!

Western studios are mostly like that though right? Just that western Nintendo ones have a lower turnover in comparison to others.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
DKC: Tropical Freeze - I'm expecting this to be one of the best 2D platformers I've played, given the user impressions.

GAF has hyped this too much imo. Don't go in with really high expectations or you'll be disappointed. It's a solid platformer, but nothing extraordinary. There was a spurt of levels in World 3 that I really loved with the amount of creativity they had, but after that the game fell flat for me.
Not putting Stickerbrush Symphony in a level CALLED Bramble Blast after teasing you with it in the previous rocket level? That was BS. Plus the Bramble level wasn't good either T_T.

GAF has hyped this too much imo. Don't go in with really high expectations or you'll be disappointed. It's a solid platformer, but nothing extraordinary. There was a spurt of levels in World 3 that I really loved with the amount of creativity they had, but after that the game fell flat for me.
Aww...that's not what I wanted to hear. :(

Understandable. I'd be bummed too if I were hyped for a game and it didn't live up to my expectations. Fortunately, his opinion is not shared by many who have played the game. If you like 2D platformers, Tropical Freeze will likely make you very happy.

jnWake

I wouldn't mind the comment much. How much you enjoy Tropical Freeze depends, IMO, on the mindset you have when playing it. If you go into the game with the goal of playing it casually and clearing the levels, not minding the KONG letters and stuff, you'll probably like it but don't understand the "GAF hype". If you collect everything and play the secret levels, you'll like it more and maybe understand the "GAF hype". If, however, you play it with the goal of mastering the game, playing time trials and that stuff, you'll absolutely love it. Of course, this is how I view the game and, if you're bad at platformers, you'll probably hate it haha.

DJIzana

For me, Nintendo has Xenoblade Chroncles X (likely my GotY if it still comes out 2015), Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker and Star Fox. A fair bit, I guess.

69wpm

B78YtYZ.jpg

Welp, now there is a supposed Starfox Horizon leak which shows the last part of the trailer in the supposedly upcoming ND. It's on YouTube for now.

The logo doesn't look the same as the previous one (different colour).

lZzeqhN.png

Is the part with Iwata from a previous direct? That would discredit this rumour instantly.

ramparter

Banned
B78YtYZ.jpg

Welp, now there is a supposed Starfox Horizon leak which shows the last part of the trailer in the supposedly upcoming ND. It's on YouTube for now.

lZzeqhN.png

Is the part with Iwata from a previous direct? That would discredit this rumour instantly.

Even I could make a video like that.

B78YtYZ.jpg

lZzeqhN.png

Yep, certainly seems legit as a fan-made named new entry in a game series.

Top Bottom