• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announced for PS4/XBO/PC - April 2015

Kazuhira

What I want to know is if they are going to add back in removed assets and if lighting will be restored back to or close to its former pre retail glory.

I don´t know about that but one of vaati´s videos showed that they made some areas really dark like in the first gameplay trailer,it´s better than nothing i guess.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wasnt there an interview where the team said they ran into some kinda trouble and it messed them up so they had to totally change the game in certain ways? Did that contribute to the downgrade?

To me, Bloodborne's environments, style of texturing, and dense amount of level geometry look a whole lot like the Dark Souls II demo build. Given that BB still has framerate issues on PS4, I wonder if Dark Souls II's maps were being constructed on a version of the FROM engine similar to BB for a while. Then they found out say, that version just could not be downported to PS360 without totally rebuilding the maps.

Early in DS2 development I recall them going on about how their "new engine" had all these improvements like lighting, cloth physics, etc. Stuff that shows up heavily in Bloodborne, was in the DS2 preview, but was mostly ripped out of the final version of DS2.

Santiako

Doesn't that require crazy stats? I never tried dual wielding in DS2 and the mechanics with stats seemed pretty weird all around for that.
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly I began by dw regular clubs (that only required 18 str or so) and by the time I got the big clubs I already had enough str to dw them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wasnt there an interview where the team said they ran into some kinda trouble and it messed them up so they had to totally change the game in certain ways? Did that contribute to the downgrade?

Yeah, someone linked to it, and its very obvious from the game as finished which areas were part of the "early" design and those from the revised version. Its probably why the DLC areas are so good comparatively, as they were a lot more comfortable with what they could do by that point.

I also have a very strong suspicion that the darkness mechanic simply didn't work as well as they hoped, which is why it doesn't make a reappearance in Bloodborne despite that game's design being far more amenable to fighting while wielding a torch than DSII is.

Neoweee

Probably already asked but will this version fix weapons degrading twice as fast when playing at 60 fps?

Weapons don't degrade twice as fast at 60fps, so there's nothing to fix. That's a gross oversimplification of what the bug actually is.

The difference is the penalty for when you hit corpses and walls, which remains, but the weapons that "normally" hit walls or the floor have generally had their durability increase.

Yeah, someone linked to it, and its very obvious from the game as finished which areas were part of the "early" design and those from the revised version. Its probably why the DLC areas are so good comparatively, as they were a lot more comfortable with what they could do by that point.

I also have a very strong suspicion that the darkness mechanic simply didn't work as well as they hoped, which is why it doesn't make a reappearance in Bloodborne despite that game's design being far more amenable to fighting while wielding a torch than DSII is.

I agree. When I see people complain about wanting more pitch-black areas, I'm like "You really liked the Gutter that much?"

Navy Bean

I will be severely disappointed if the new NPC doesn't promptly return to your hub and murder everyone... I will kill any new NPC's on sight lol.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I will be severely disappointed if the new NPC doesn't promptly return to your hub and murder everyone... I will kill any new NPC's on sight lol.

I'd say the new NPC is much cooler than Yurt 3.0 :p

Probably already asked but will this version fix weapons degrading twice as fast when playing at 60 fps?

Apparently, that's how weapons are supposed to degrade. One of the previews that it felt like weapons decayed faster than the PS3/360 version.

Yeah, fairly certain they actually coded the game to run properly at 60 FPS, I mean it's a counterbalance to the new repair system. Since your weapons are auto-repaired at bonfires, they break faster.

finished demons souls
got far through dark souls (still need to finish)
currently playing bloodborne
never got to play dark souls 2 so i'm excited for this!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh wow, there's a stone statue in front one of the fog gates in Things Betwixt now, wonder what that's about :D

Edit:
Ah, it's the gender bender coffin beyond that point

Calamari41

41 > 38
I agree. When I see people complain about wanting more pitch-black areas, I'm like "You really liked the Gutter that much?"

The Gutter was a lot of fun for me. Looking back and seeing all of the torches that I had lit was very cool and very satisfying. That said, that one area was enough as far as "you can't see anything unless you have the torch out" goes.

Neoweee

The Gutter was a lot of fun for me. Looking back and seeing all of the torches that I had lit was very cool and very satisfying. That said, that one area was enough as far as "you can't see anything unless you have the torch out" goes.

Yeah, I liked it to, but that area gets a lot of hate.

nynt9

The multiplayer beta test was a lot darker and I recall a lot of people complaining that it's too dark, and given that they put a lot of effort into creating a dual wielding system, it would defeat the point if you were forced to carry a torch around all the time for the game to be playable at all.

What I want to know is if they are going to add back in removed assets and if lighting will be restored back to or close to its former pre retail glory.

Below are example shots of a before and after to detail my point. As you can see before the changes in this particular hallway we can see many more assets where as in the retail release the hallway looks stripped bare for the most part. If the entire game was neutered like this, I want to know if what my screenshots display have made a return.

8ai8u2g.png

8bddu5a.png
Holy cow

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A lot of the "dark" areas had torches for the player to light that stayed lit. Seems it could be a reason why the darkness was toned down is that so much dynamic lighting of the environment was removed, the torch beacon points (which are all over The Gutter) didn't light up the level the way they were intended to.

If they put dark areas back in again, I wonder where and if lighting torches has become more strategic.

HF2014

Wondering something, do the 3 last dlc add less humanoid boss and more monster like fight? Its what i kind of hated about dks2, too much humanoid bosses.

I feel like they dodge the topic for the most part but that interview all but confirms that they scrapped and redid many portions of the game

Yep.

New enemy placements
New enemy behaviour
New item placement
Graphical enhancements
Expanded multiplayer (more phantoms)
All exclusive to current gen/DX11 build

I wish I knew what was meant by behaviour. I'm disappointed to hear about the enemy lock on being a thing, as it seems to sound like a really poor way to make the game more difficult.

Is the game made "easier" from designs like "lock on" enemies and the spamming of enemies the game seems to throw at you? Are there better placed enemies, fewer enemies spammed at you that seem to heighten difficulty through quantity, etc?

I know there was a patch with lots of buffs, does it help?

Bloodborne was (is) my first Souls game. I didn't expect to like it (I feared it was going to be too hardcore) but somehow it really clicks. The sense of exploration, unlocking new shortcuts, the sense of danger everywhere and the actual feeling of becoming better at the game.

Should I pick up DS2: Scholar of the First Sin too? Since I like Bloodborne this much. In which way is DS2 better/worse?

If you like BB, you should get into the other Souls games for sure. What I love about BB/Souls is that each entry feels different, while retaining the whole concept of the game's mechanics.

So you still have that difficulty, exploration, discovery, challenge, etc. but they all do things differently enough to the point where I can't ever recommend one over the other.

Neoweee

I wish I knew what was meant by behaviour. I'm disappointed to hear about the enemy lock on being a thing, as it seems to sound like a really poor way to make the game more difficult.

Is the game made "easier" from designs like "lock on" enemies and the spamming of enemies the game seems to throw at you? Are there better placed enemies, fewer enemies spammed at you that seem to heighten difficulty through quantity, etc?

I know there was a patch with lots of buffs, does it help?

If you like BB, you should get into the other Souls games for sure

You really should just give up on the game. You're going through and reading every negative comment you can find. You won't like it. Nobody wants to spend time convincing you about every last thing.

It is borderline concern trolling.

ironcreed

Banned
Bloodborne really got me in the Souls groove, so I am looking forward to hopping back into this with all of the changes, the technical upgrade and DLC that I missed. It should be great.

Hope someone tries manually moving saves from ds2 vanilla to see if it works and if not hope someone makea a save convertor before long.

does this build work outside of bloodborne?

Yeah pretty easily, I had no troubles as dual wielding falchions dex though the game and I'm mediocre at best.

CHC

Honestly, I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one pissed about the impossible to stagger enemies in the dlc. I went through the DLC with my no shield dex build literally based around constant staggering, and I was pissed almost the entire time.

Yeah I mean I didn't even realize how much it was bothering me until Bloodborne. Playing it has brought back that tension of "use all your stamina to stagger and damage" vs "save stamina to dodge or block the inevitable retaliation". Stagger-proof enemies just prompt annoying hit-and-run tactics and backstab fishing. The whole series' combat is balanced around keeping the enemies off balance by attacking, but saving some stamina to defend.

Don't get me wrong I loved DSII immensely, but by the end it felt like they were just throwing enemies at you that were difficult only by virtue of "the numbers". They didn't have particularly interesting attacks or balanced routines, they were just full of HP and impossible to stagger.

You really should just give up on the game. You're going through and reading every negative comment you can find. You won't like it. Nobody wants to spend time convincing you about every last thing.

It is borderline concern trolling.

No, sorry, that's not my intention. I know I will enjoy the game, I just am curious about the criticism, mainly to do with the lock on, but also to do with some of the map designs.

I'm absolutely going to play it, I'm just very curious about the mechanics and enjoy reading about people's opinions, especially the critical ones, because I just enjoy reading those more. Since BB came out, I've been trying to compare the three games and see what they do better/differently.

I can see how that can be negative, so I'll just try to read on the game from other sites if that's the case, but I just like reading about faults.

Seanspeed

Banned
No, sorry, that's not my intention. I know I will enjoy the game, I just am curious about the criticism, mainly to do with the lock on, but also to do with some of the map designs.

I'm absolutely going to play it, I'm just very curious about the mechanics and enjoy reading about people's opinions, especially the critical ones, because I just enjoy reading those more. Since BB came out, I've been trying to compare the three games and see what they do better/differently.

I can see how that can be negative, so I'll just try to read on the game from other sites if that's the case, but I just like reading about faults.
I get where you're coming from, but it feels like you're going to go into the game with half a mind on all the faults that you've spent time thoroughly researching. Which could lead to any faults 'standing out' more.

Basically, if you've already got your mind set to play the game, stop worrying about it. You're not doing yourself any favors. Play it and make your own opinion.

I get where you're coming from, but it feels like you're going to go into the game with half a mind on all the faults that you've spent time thoroughly researching. Which could lead to any faults 'standing out' more.

Basically, if you've already got your mind set to play the game, stop worrying about it. You're not doing yourself any favors. Play it and make your own opinion.

That's not really true, regarding my intention.

For example, I want to talk about a lot of faults in Bloodborne, but it's impossible currently with how fast the OT is moving, so I imagine more critical discussion will come after. I just like discussing the finer points you wont ever see in reviews.

When I play a game, I enjoy it. But when I'm on GAF or other websites, I like to read critical thoughts, go into more detail, get a better picture of the game, etc. It's just how I enjoy looking at games. Since Bloodborne is out, I'm trying to get a sense of all three games, and since this thread exists, I wanted to see if I can read some more about the various criticisms. I'm not intending to let these bother me much when I actually play. I can differentiate myself from when I play and when I talk about the game on GAF, you know?

I know what to expect generally, when it comes to positive features of the game. I've read it on a lot of reviews and impressions. Those are easy to find, but I never find media reviews to go into specific critical detail. Those are usually expressed by fans, which I only really get to inquire about on forums like this.

Sorry if I was derailing the purpose of this thread, I'll just stop being so curious in that case.

Enemies patrol areas now afaik.

Thanks

The thing is, few games have such dedicated haters as Dark Souls 2. It's maybe that and Final Fantasy VIII. Every single change from DS is listed as a huge flaw at best, and a conscious design decision to "piss off the loyal fanbase" at worst.

Weapon repairing was USELESS in Dark Souls since it basically never affected anything. You would upgrade it before it ever broke. You'd return to André like "hmmm, I've played with this for an awfully long time now... nope, still at 120/200". Only affected crystal weapons, basically. They changed it to A) make you use more different weapons and B) make it important to try and not whack your shiny sword into stone walls all the time, if you could help it. They may have overdone it, but at least now it makes a difference.

Sidestepping and backstabbing made most enemies a joke, unless there was a shortage of space or other enemies around. You'd just hold left and circle while they'd inevitably swing at air. DS2 added a few back attacks but mostly adding tracking so that enemies try to keep you in their sights. Since you can still move pretty quickly around them, you get pivoting enemies without animation. The net effect is that you have to wait until they actually commit to an attack before you sidestep/dodge. Most people probably haven't done swordfighting for real, but if you're trying to evade something, you can't move before the attack - the attacker will simply adjust to what you're doing.

And soul memory was put into place to stop ganking of newbies. In DS, you could very easily run through the game without levelling, and spend all your souls on maxing out your gear and getting the endgame magic. Then you could return to the starting zones at level 10 or so and destroy everyone. Soul memory removed this, and added other problems. But it's still not something they actually put in to destroy the PVP game.

And so on and so on. Then add the "OMG lighting betrayal OMG OMG gimme back the E3 lighting or I'll never forgive youuuuuuuu" stuff, and it gets pretty annoying.

Seanspeed

Banned
That's not really true, regarding my intention.

For example, I want to talk about a lot of faults in Bloodborne, but it's impossible currently with how fast the OT is moving, so I imagine more critical discussion will come after. I just like discussing the finer points you wont ever see in reviews.

When I play a game, I enjoy it. But when I'm on GAF or other websites, I like to read critical thoughts, go into more detail, get a better picture of the game, etc. It's just how I enjoy looking at games. Since Bloodborne is out, I'm trying to get a sense of all three games, and since this thread exists, I wanted to see if I can read some more about the various criticisms. I'm not intending to let these bother me much when I actually play. I can differentiate myself from when I play and when I talk about the game on GAF, you know?

I know what to expect generally, when it comes to positive features of the game. I've read it on a lot of reviews and impressions. Those are easy to find, but I never find media reviews to go into specific critical detail. Those are usually expressed by fans, which I only really get to inquire about on forums like this.

Sorry if I was derailing the purpose of this thread, I'll just stop being so curious in that case.
No need to apologize!

Anyways, I get that you enjoy discussing the finer details and critiques, I just think you should play the game first. Form your own opinions instead of going in with a lot of preconceived notions of what the game is going to be like. It will be very hard to remain unbiased now.

Can somebody give me the gist of how this is releasing and what exactly the changes are? I'm posting the OT but I'm super confused.

Is the full version of the game releasing on PC tomorrow or is it just the update that PS360 got?

What changes didn't get added to the old gen versions? I know 6 player MP was one of them.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can somebody give me the gist of how this is releasing and what exactly the changes are? I'm posting the OT but I'm super confused.

Is the full version of the game releasing on PC tomorrow or is it just the update that PS360 got?

What changes didn't get added to the old gen versions? I know 6 player MP was one of them.

Dark Souls 2 got a rebalance patch and an added NPC

Scholar of the First Sin (which is also what they called the patch, however confusing that may be) features the following:

• All DLC included
  • Enemy placement has been changed
  • Item placement has been changed
  • You can summon/get invaded by more phantoms
  • Slight graphical tweaks
  • NPC added (also in old-gen patch)
  • Weapon/Armour Rebalance (also in old-gen patch)
  • Added or changed lore in item descriptions (also in old-gen patch)

The patch was released a couple months ago, the thing that's hitting Steam tonight/tomorrow is the new edition of the game.

Does ayone that have the game have the trophies installed for it ? I think I have a strange bug :

Many shops sold the game early, so I got it his week end. But the trophies for the game were not installed, and do not appear in my trophy list.

I tried to jump from the first cliff to get the "welcome" trophy, I git the pop up and when I pressed the PS button, it said "error".

Is that normal ? Is this because the game is not out yet ?

Many thanks !

I'm still sad they nerfed lightning spear, after I already had a super leveled NG++ faith/strength dude on the last gen version :(

Don't care, making one again, Sun Pally forever!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The only thing I really want them to tweak is enemy poise in end game areas. Some of the shit in the Ivory Crown areas was really frustrating. Part of the Souls combat is all about the risk reward of keeping your enemy staggered at the expense of stamina, but so many end game mobs in DSII just felt like you were wailing on a tree trunk, you could do so much damage without ever interrupting their attack or having them even flinch. I'm talking about shit like those horses in the snow area. That zone was so stupid, just a big "fuck you".
Honestly, I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one pissed about the impossible to stagger enemies in the dlc. I went through the DLC with my no shield dex build literally based around constant staggering, and I was pissed almost the entire time.
Yeah that was annoying but the stone ring made a huge, huge difference there. Seriously, try it, it'll make your DLC experience far less frustrating.

Does ayone that have the game have the trophies installed for it ? I think I have a strange bug :

Many shops sold the game early, so I got it his week end. But the trophies for the game were not installed, and do not appear in my trophy list.

I tried to jump from the first cliff to get the "welcome" trophy, I git the pop up and when I pressed the PS button, it said "error".

Is that normal ? Is this because the game is not out yet ?

Many thanks !

If i remember correctly servers arent up for ds2, but idk why the ps4 wouldnt recognize em?

idk?

This was no help.

Got a quick question; Did you play the game on PS3, and got trophies for that version?

Because it would mean the game has a separate trophy table. And in that case, I'll take it on PS4.

Guevara

I'm still sad they nerfed lightning spear, after I already had a super leveled NG++ faith/strength dude on the last gen version :(

Don't care, making one again, Sun Pally forever!

Me too, I don't care. Lightning SHOULD be overpowered.

If you're a sunbro and helped out 50 people or whatever in co-op, you should have a super awesome weapon.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves

Dark Souls 2 got a rebalance patch and an added NPC

Scholar of the First Sin (which is also what they called the patch, however confusing that may be) features the following:

• All DLC included
  • Enemy placement has been changed
  • Item placement has been changed
  • You can summon/get invaded by more phantoms
  • Slight graphical tweaks
  • NPC added (also in old-gen patch)
  • Weapon/Armour Rebalance (also in old-gen patch)
  • Added or changed lore in item descriptions (also in old-gen patch)

The patch was released a couple months ago, the thing that's hitting Steam tonight/tomorrow is the new edition of the game.

To add on the above:

• 1 April, North America PC (steam at 3:00 PM PST)
  • 2 April, Australia/NZ PS3, PS4, 360, XB1
  • 2 April, Europe PS3, PS4, 360, XB1
  • 2 April, Europe PC
  • 7 April, North America PS3, PS4, 360, XB1
  • 9 April, Japan PS4 & XB1
Sources:
See this official announcement with useful info.

When will Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin be available?

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin will be available on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 digitally and at retailers on April 7th, 2015. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin will be available on Steam on April 1st, 2015 at 3:00 PM PST.

Or this megathread on /r/darksouls2

Top Bottom