• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEVIUS FINAL FANTASY First Look (Up: F2P confirmed, Mitsuto Suzuki composing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlk

Mitsuto Suzuki is working on this game. :)

I would have probably bought it anyway, but now I got something to look forward to.

I just don't want what I'm hearing to be an indication of the bulk of the OST will be.

EDIT: Welp, got excited and finally read that it's F2P. :/

duckroll

Nice! I love Suzuki's work. Was hoping that Mizuta would work on it, too.

F2P on the other hand is a bummer. I was hoping for a 10-20$ pay-once game like SE's FF ports or the Chaos Ring series.
I mean, Stamina-based F2P can be done right and unobtrusive (see Terra Battle), but most of the time the games feel like playing slot machines. You press a button, watch simple, automated stuff happening and throw money in in the end to keep doing it. Just tried out FF: Record Keeper (DeNA-developed) and it was utter trash. Felt like a pure nostalgia cash grab. SE's Heavenstrike on the other hand is really charming and well-made in comparison, despite its F2P mechanics.

I agree that being F2P with this level of production values should make people cautious about it. To be profitable, they're going to need a lot of people playing it to want to spend money on it somehow.

In theory, the game could well be designed like Terra Battle, where players who don't want to pay anything can just keep playing a little every day in the morning and evening, and have enough stamina to clear the story at a pace which feels satisfying. But Terra Battle is a super cheap game made by like... 5 people. While this is supposedly a huge undertaking by S-E's internal staff and contractors. Not sure if it'll balance out, especially when they're also going to limit the audience by only supporting higher end devices.

Koozek

I agree that being F2P with this level of production values should make people cautious about it. To be profitable, they're going to need a lot of people playing it to want to spend money on it somehow.

In theory, the game could well be designed like Terra Battle, where players who don't want to pay anything can just keep playing a little every day in the morning and evening, and have enough stamina to clear the story at a pace which feels satisfying. But Terra Battle is a super cheap game made by like... 5 people. While this is supposedly a huge undertaking by S-E's internal staff and contractors. Not sure if it'll balance out, especially when they're also going to limit the audience by only supporting higher end devices.

Terra Battle made me feel BAD if I hadn't paid at least a few bucks. That's how F2P should be. I played around 3 weeks straight on a daily basis which is crazy considering that I normally stop playing F2P games after an hour or so because the games feel so shallow and, as I said before, like gambling machines.

EDIT: Okay, I'm not sure anymore if my tablet could handle Mevius :/ Other 3D games like Dead Trigger looked and ran really good, though.

Squire

Banned
Sarah is a decent character design. Is Nomura doing the characters for this? Or it Kamikaze-whoever? The XIII guy?

F2P? Eh, I'm not sure I want to get this or not...

That combat system (animations, spell effects, "break"/stagger, and even battle font + sound effects) reminds me very, very much of FFXIII. No thanks.

... okay, now I KNOW I'll never play this. People loved FFXIII's battle system, but I HATED the whole "break/stagger" thing(and if I could put a massive accent on how much I hate it, I would).

Better they be on mobile in my opinion.

Excellent point!

On a side note, this seems almost like a reinterpretation of the first FF. Just read up on the story and it seems like a reimagined take on the base premise of the original(summoned "heroes of light" showing up, world threatened by Chaos and his forces of evil, and Princess Sarah of Cornelia).

extralite

On a side note, this seems almost like a reinterpretation of the first FF. Just read up on the story and it seems like a reimagined take on the base premise of the original(summoned "heroes of light" showing up, world threatened by Chaos and his forces of evil, and Princess Sarah of Cornelia).

It doesn't just seem that way, they said they wanted to go back to the series' roots. It's all but a remake of FF1, according to Kitase.

duckroll

http://blog.jp.square-enix.com/sep_japan/2015/03/000946.html

They've officially announced this Thursday's stream on their site now. The title of the presentation suggests that they will probably be announcing the service start date for the game, which should be soon.

The development staff guests are producer Yoshinori Kitase, project leader Naoki Hamaguchi, and production producer Hironori Okayama. Hamaguchi is a programmer from the FFXIII team and the main programmer of Lightning Returns.

Falk

that puzzling face
The more info comes out the more it looks like the business division that did LR went on almost immediately to start on this.

Koozek

The more info comes out the more it looks like the business division that did LR went on almost immediately to start on this.

Now if only Toriyama would be appointed as the main director for the Mevius sub-series and kept away from FFXVI :D

raven777

FatMessyAgouti.gif

Einbroch

Banned
Battle system looks to be something new.

I'm guessing, but it looks like you'll tap to attack, swipe to dodge left or right, and tap a button to switch between 3 "classes" depending on what crystals are at the top of the screen. The more of a color you have, the stronger the ability is that you use when you activate that class.

That's just my guess.

Edit: Whelp, watched the video above. Neeeeeeeeeeeevermind.

raven777

To be fair, if you're trying to say "lol, plays itself": you could do the same with any FF :p

I could make the same gif with someone playing FFXV and button-mashes Square/X.

you don't need to mash, you can just hold square for FFXV :)

The battle system seems somewhat interesting but there needs to be more than what they showed today.

Koozek

you don't need to mash, you can just hold square for FFXV :)

The battle system seems somewhat interesting but there needs to be more than what they showed today.

Couldn't you hold X in older FFs, too? Not sure, right now. I think you can in FFX-2 at least. And in FFXII you don't even have to press any button. In FFXIII you could not watch the screen and just press X most of the time. You can do this with pretty much any FF, really.

You know what the only one was where you had to be on your toes for basically every battle? Lightning Returns. Limited healing items and the fear of losing a precious hour of your in-game time when you die made every battle exciting. At least if you try to do every sidequest possible in your first play-through like I did.
Best FF battle-system.
Come at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom