• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation on April 1st

Doorman

It's pretty entertaining to be reading through a lot of the reactions in this threat, on both sides. It seems to me like the people most disappointed are the ones who went into today with the highest expectations...so, no surprise there I guess. Two months away from E3 is not really the time or place to pull back the curtain on major unannounced games. It's clear that Nintendo is relying on DLC and Amiibo support to lengthen the legs of their long-tail games during the dry summer (additional content for Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and I suspect there will be continued support for Splatoon post-release as well) while the rest of their studios work on other projects behind closed doors. My bet would be that their development schedules have remained longer than they used to be in the non-HD era, and of course things look sparse when there's only one publisher really supporting the system, even if it is one of the largest publishers in the world.

I'm satisfied with what we got. That damn Yarn Yoshi amiibo hit my heart way more than it should have, and while I'm not a big fan of the continued "onii-chan" approach Fire Emblem is taking in all its forms, I'm intrigued enough to keep an eye out for it.
The only disappointment for me was the utter lack of mention for XCX, as it suggests to me that its localization is lagging pretty far behind the Japanese version, and it may be getting repositioned into the holiday season Stateside as the "big" game to cover Zelda's loss.

So, do other people think that Xenoblade 3DS looks pretty rough visually?

To be fair I though the Wii game wasn't much to look at either.

Exile20

One new retail game, for Wii U, would have sufficed most I'd reckon. E3 is soon, and people probably hope for multiple new titles there. Remember Nintendo is doing the heavy lifting all by their lonesome for the system so if you believe they're supporting the console still they should have at least a half dozen unannounced titles up their sleeve at this point.

That what I think anyway but 'm not disappointed, just not impressed either.

Come on man, they are covering two systems. That shit is hard as fuck to do, ask Sony about how much they are supporting the Vita and they are getting help from every third party dev out there.

Mory Dunz

Yeah. One game for the Wii U from April-September is brutal. I hate nintendo holding releases back for Q4. They shove everything into Q4.

So we have Yoshi, Mario maker, Star Fox, and Xenoblade, and then Devil's 3rd (dunno about this), Giant Robot if that's still separate...

all for September-December? Hmm....

So we have Yoshi, Mario maker, Star Fox, and Xenoblade, and then Devil's 3rd (dunno about this), Giant Robot if that's still separate...

I wouldn't bet my savings on Devil's Third making this year. Hell, I wouldn't bet my savings on it releasing at all.

Overside

Banned
So, do other people think that Xenoblade 3DS looks pretty rough visually?

To be fair I though the Wii game wasn't much to look at either.

Xenoblade is pretty rough visually.

The games beauty came from its scene composition and art design, which was unbelievably good.

Asset wise its low poly with incredibly low res textures that often times turn into unintelligible blurs when seen up close (this is the wii version i am talking about).

So, its pretty much identical to the wii version visually, with the difference being the 3ds's screen resolution is lower than 480p.

Mik317

I say this after every Direct but those let down by a Direct need to keep their expectations in check. I always see "all they talked about is old games" type posts afterward.,..uh..yeah. Generally we don't get amazing new game reveals back to back to back and most directs are just "here is new info on games you already knew about" with maybe one new game and that generally isn't the Metroid, Zelda, Mario, NEW IIIIIPPPP tier game.

You only have yourselves to blame if you are super let down by it. I get not liking the games shown or what not...but not everything is for you and you alone anyway...just look at it this way...someone out there is having a great day from the reveals right now. I don't give a fuck about P&D but someone out there is losing his/her shit right now. Someone out there enjoys all the animu ass animu stuff and is looking forward to it. You can be dissapointed and let down but having that perspective helps...and if these directs keep letting you down?...don't fucking get hyped to high hell next time.

Fire Emblem in 2016,
good
. It looks AMAZING.

The new Animal Crossing spin-off on the other hand looks really boring. And I'm a huge fan of the series.

Mory Dunz

I wouldn't bet my savings on Devil's Third making this year. Hell, I wouldn't bet my savings on it releasing at all.

Yeah, I don't really care about it tbh.

I'm worried about Xeno slipping into 2016 and Star Fox too, depending on how it releases and what kind of game it is.

OMG NEW MII PLAZA GAMES
UDppDkB.png

EDIT: Shit I forgot HomePass stopped working. NOOOO
I heard it still worked but you need the access point to not be secure in any way (I suppose silent SSID+MAC address filter so only the 3DS can connect are all the security you'll get).

I also have a feeling the VIP room will do something here. It almost implied the streetpass birthdays thing will let you pass those people on their birthday. Shame I purged my plaza somewhat (it is slow to do) due to how after 1000 Miis is starts demoting them to "met by invitation" (unless it is a special Mii, those get deleted instead) and some of my most frequent passes ever are near that cut-off.

MilesTeg

Banned
I say this after every Direct but those let down by a Direct need to keep their expectations in check. I always see "all they talked about is old games" type posts afterward.,..uh..yeah. Generally we don't get amazing new game reveals back to back to back and most directs are just "here is new info on games you already knew about" with maybe one new game and that generally isn't the Metroid, Zelda, Mario, NEW IIIIIPPPP tier game.

You only have yourselves to blame if you are super let down by it. I get not liking the games shown or what not...but not everything is for you and you alone anyway...just look at it this way...someone out there is having a great day from the reveals right now. I don't give a fuck about P&D but someone out there is losing his/her shit right now. Someone out there enjoys all the animu ass animu stuff and is looking forward to it. You can be dissapointed and let down but having that perspective helps...and if these directs keep letting you down?...don't fucking get hyped to high hell next time.

It's more that we are so starved for information and games, and then a Direct gets announced...and Nintendo never has enough content. People think they are going to blow their load, when in reality they just don't have that much to show. It's been the case for a very long time now. We aren't getting enough games and every time a Direct gets announced we think"OK, Nintendo is about to fix this". But they never do.

Heartfyre

I enjoyed that Direct. No megatons...or significant new announcements...but still some solid updates in there. I really love how SMT x Fire Emblem is looking, but I say that as an SMT fan first-and-foremost. Woolly World releasing in Europe in June is great, and the woolly amiibo is even better.

...But yeah, undeniably, there's a lot riding on E3 for Nintendo. We need some substantial stuff. They killed E3 last year with great announcements and their Treehouse stuff, and they need to do that again.

A new Mario platformer would not go amiss.

Striek

Come on man, they are covering two systems. That shit is hard as fuck to do, ask Sony about how much they are supporting the Vita and they are getting help from every third party dev out there.

But you would agree that Sony is fucking up the Vita, no? Even making that comparison seems an admittal that Nintendo isn't living up to expectations on both fronts.

Hence disappointment from some people.

I loved seeing Fatal Frame, FExSMT, and Fire Emblem If, but both the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U looks incredibly barren this year. There is just are huge gaps between new releases.

cacildo

Terrible direct.
If you dont like RPGs, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, n64 games, NintendoDS games, third person shooters, amiibo, Smash Bros, Mario Games, horror games, puzzle games, indie games and yoshi games what else did they had?
NOTHING!

Doorman

For as rough as people seemed to claim it was, I wouldn't be too sure about Devil's Third making it this year. Project Giant Robot, meanwhile, was a nifty little tech demo but even last year at E3 Nintendo never really positioned it as much more than that, and there's been no word about it or any of those "Miyamoto-games" short of sparse Star Fox info.

My expectation
/fear
is that Giant Robot and Guard and other such projects will all work their way into a disparate collection of minigames that comprise what Star Fox turns into (the "late night programming" Miyamoto spoke about last year).

Vena

Yeah. One game for the Wii U from April-September is brutal. I hate nintendo holding releases back for Q4. They shove everything into Q4.

The ship on the WiiU has sailed in terms of big tent-pole releases. The system will subsist on sporadic month-to-month titles, digital promotion of indies and other digital games/expanion of current games, and bigger mid-summer and winter releases. The bigger tent-poles will get expanded content added to them (which is basically what fills up April).

So it ends up being:
April - MK8/Smash DLC
May: Splatoon
June: ???
July: ???
August: ???
September: Mario Maker
October: Project Zero (Halloween)

That leaves: Xenoblade, Devil's, StarFox, Yoshi, and the Customs with no release date, as well as the possibility of IllRev launching end of 2015 outside of Japan but I doubt that. Nintendo isn't above announcing a game at E3 and then releasing it come winter, either. There's also Tantalus' port.

Project Treasure is also still an unknown. E3 will have Retro's Group 2's new title, more than likely and do as SM3DW did and release shortly there after.

giphy.gif

The ship on the WiiU has sailed in terms of big tent-pole releases. The system will subsist on sporadic month-to-month titles, digital promotion of indies and other digital games/expanion of current games, and bigger mid-summer and winter releases. The bigger tent-poles will get expanded content added to them (which is basically what fills up April).

So it ends up being:
April - MK8/Smash DLC
May: Splatoon
June: ???
July: ???
September: Mario Maker
October: Project Zero (Halloween)

That leaves: Xenoblade, Devil's, StarFox, Yoshi, and the Customs with no release date, as well as the possibility of IllRev launching end of 2015 outside of Japan but I doubt that. Nintendo isn't above announcing a game at E3 and then releasing it come winter, either.

I know we all hate august, but It deserves to exist too :p

Banned
It's pretty entertaining to be reading through a lot of the reactions in this threat, on both sides. It seems to me like the people most disappointed are the ones who went into today with the highest expectations...so, no surprise there I guess. Two months away from E3 is not really the time or place to pull back the curtain on major unannounced games. It's clear that Nintendo is relying on DLC and Amiibo support to lengthen the legs of their long-tail games during the dry summer (additional content for Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and I suspect there will be continued support for Splatoon post-release as well) while the rest of their studios work on other projects behind closed doors. My bet would be that their development schedules have remained longer than they used to be in the non-HD era, and of course things look sparse when there's only one publisher really supporting the system, even if it is one of the largest publishers in the world.

I'm satisfied with what we got. That damn Yarn Yoshi amiibo hit my heart way more than it should have, and while I'm not a big fan of the continued "onii-chan" approach Fire Emblem is taking in all its forms, I'm intrigued enough to keep an eye out for it.
The only disappointment for me was the utter lack of mention for XCX, as it suggests to me that its localization is lagging pretty far behind the Japanese version, and it may be getting repositioned into the holiday season Stateside as the "big" game to cover Zelda's loss.
The only way Xenoblade sells enough to fill the gap lost my delaying Zelda is if a Zelda demo is bundled with Xenoblade Chronicles X.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It was a great Direct for me, better than I was expected overall.

The negatives: no Devil's Third and no date for Xenoblade X (as the lack of trailer for it will be compensated by the dolls&network direct next week).

The great surprises: Fatal Frame localization and the 200cc mode in MK8.

The best part: NoE release schedule:

• now - Super Mario 64
  • now - Donkey Kong 64
  • April 9th - Affordable Space Adventures
  • April 16th - Pandora's Tower
  • April 23rd - MK8 update and DLC (and 200cc !!!)
  • April 30th - Sin and Punishment
  • 29th of May - Splatoon
  • 26th of June - Yoshi's Wolly World

And these are just the highlights. Plus an overwhelming number of Amiibo that I must get (Splatoons, Yoshi, Olimar ...)

Doorman

The only way Xenoblade sells enough to fill the gap lost my delaying Zelda is if a Zelda demo is bundled with Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I'm not trying to suggest that it will sell as much as Zelda, or that it would even be expected to. I'm talking of positioning it as a "big" game in terms of it being large in scale, with a lot to do, and treating it as a substantial release. Giving it the amount of attention that the likes of Smash Bros and Splatoon have gotten. Not because that's what XCX really is, but because there may be so little else for Nintendo to rely on in that timeframe that it might be what they need it to masquerade as.

edit:
It was literally announced as done almost a month ago
...Oh! Missed that news, apparently. Saving it for E3 then, I suppose? Thinking back, most everything that was discussed comes from established Nintendo IPs (or the likes of Splatoon, which it seems they're treating as a true franchise for now) aside from the brief Indie sizzle-reel. I know that Nintendo picked up the rights for D3rd and are working on it in part, but I can partly understand why it wouldn't have been brought up today, regardless. Maybe I'll be optimistic and hope for a fall release.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
I feel 200cc is to get players better acclimated to the INSANE speeds they will need to achieve to play F-Zero U!

Why have you forsaken me Iwata-sama.

Top Bottom