• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

ironcreed

Banned
Thats pretty much what you do in most games though. If anything is boring, its that. Faction conflict almost always makes for a more satisfying story, IMO.

But all games are still different and play out in their own way. In which sense, I have no problem with a more traditional direction. But suit yourself.

diaspora

Meh...sounds like more of the same but without the memorable characters (which to be honest, was the main/only reason I played the first 3)
All of your companions sans Varric in DAI were the first appearances for them and I love them all anyway...

Spacejaws

Hmm all sounds cool except the busywork nature it seems to be going towards.

I'm mostly worried about the story. Sounds DA2 amount of pointless.

But I'm hoping its not.

Gojeran

Forerunners? :p

I always roll destroy. I don't care for indoctrination theory but a reaper convincing you not to destroy them seems like the very essence of literal indoctrination.

First and only play through of mass effect 3...full paragon and destroy was the only option. I said I played this entire trilogy to destroy the reapers. Destroy is the only option now and ever.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd feel content saving my crew or my colony or even as small as my Family. Why its always the end of Humanity I just don't know. Stakes can be personal and small and mean so much to you - I don't need the Save Everyone motivation. Like you that is just how I feel. No one is wrong or right.

Its not even humanity, its the fate of galactic civilization both present and future. At least in the first trilogy.

Sou Da

Its not even humanity, its the fate of galactic civilization both present and future. At least in the first trilogy.

Plot here seems to be: Colonize galaxy and get technology to gain superiority over original denizens.

Honestly makes the player sound like a huge imperialist asshole.

ironcreed

Banned
I'd feel content saving my crew or my colony or even as small as my Family. Why its always the end of Humanity I just don't know. Stakes can be personal and small and mean so much to you - I don't need the Save Everyone motivation. Like you that is just how I feel. No one is wrong or right.

Exactly and I get what you are saying. A smaller story can feel more personal and could even feel more powerful in some ways. I suppose I just love playing out something that is on a grand scale, where you feel the weight of the world or universe on your shoulders. As cliche as it sounds, I love my role playing games to be, well, epic.

Boss Mog

When I see stuff like "100s of planets to explore with the Mako" I get a little scared that maybe it will not be very deep or detailed; similar to the ME1 Mako experiences. Personally I would prefer 30 super well done and and detailed planets than 100s of uninteresting ones.

ironcreed

Banned
Plot here seems to be: Colonize galaxy and get technology to gain superiority over original denizens.

Honestly makes the player sound like a huge imperialist asshole.

I am guessing the original denizens are the assholes, though. Probably some ancient and hostile race.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Exactly and I get what you are saying. A smaller story can feel more personal and could even feel more powerful in some ways. I suppose I just love playing out something that is on a grand scale, where you feel the weight of the world or universe on your shoulders. As cliche as it sounds, I love my role playing games to be, well, epic.

A personal story can have a grand scale. Particularly when you have a whole galaxy for it to take place in. Planescape is both extremely personal and extremely grand.

prag16

Banned
Everyone is talking about exploring desolate worlds. But I'm hoping they also work a more densely populated hub or two into the mix as well.

Also, damn, a lot of (imo) unwarranted pessimism in this topic. Yes, some of the DA:I stuff is a concern, but there are so many blanks still to be filled in.

Hahs

Was doing some math:

If the map is 4X the size of ME 3, and ME3 (for PC) is 10GB wouldn't that come to around 40GB for the new ME (give or take) - does that sound about right?

EDIT: I know the map isn't the full 10 gigs - just theorizing here.

A-V-B

That would have been just as much of an asspull as the crucible, there is literally no way the galaxy could have practically won unless the Reapers had like 10 in total numbers.

Ok, if you wanna get real for a second, it's less about being absolutely plausible and more about being satisfying for the player. If it was about being realistic, the Crucible wouldn't've existed either. But since it's all a wild fantasy anyway, you might as well understand where that desire comes from and play to certain strengths. Shepard IS already a Deus Ex Machina for all life in the galaxy, and the ultimate mac daddy/mommy. He/she is beyond conventionality, digging into the problems where no one else can find the answer, and coming out with the victory. Shepard wins Shepard's way. Shepard is the Anti-Reaper. Shepard does the Impossible. Row row, and all that jazz.

You still have the conventional battle, and that affects who survives and which races have triumphant moments (or don't) --- outside that, you have a lot of ways to end it by personally confronting the Reapers. You can talk your way into victory, you can shoot your way into victory, you can sneak and sabotage your way into victory, you can sacrifice yourself to victory, you can sacrifice others, you can win with logic, you can win with heart, you can win with apathy(!). You can go it alone, or include your team. And these can be mixed and matched together. Preference by method of personal principle and gameplay style should dictate. As long as the player keeps the story, and their past actions, in mind.

But I suppose I'm holding the ideal Mass Effect ending to Chris Avellone standards, when that's actually... utterly impossible considering Mass Effect's development ecosystem.

Tovarisc

Everyone is talking about exploring desolate worlds. But I'm hoping they also work a more densely populated hub or two into the mix as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if first colony you establish at start of the game is one that grows into large / densely populated hub over time as you keep upgrading and expanding it with resources and tech you find.

That or if game features huge colony ship then that can be that major hub area.

To be clear; Those are just ideas of my own that I came up with after reading survey stuff.

ironcreed

Banned
A personal story can have a grand scale. Particularly when you have a whole galaxy for it to take place in. Planescape is both extremely personal and extremely grand.

And I am not arguing against it and think there is room for both. But I happen to still love the idea of another space epic like the previous trilogy, only more ambitious than ever and with a new story. To each their own, I guess.

Was doing some math:

If the map is 4X the size of ME 3, and ME3 (for PC) is 10GB wouldn't that come to around 40GB for the new ME (give or take) - does that sound about right?

Well, that's not how it works really. Saying a game is "X" times larger than another doesn't translate 1:1 in disc space.

Vamphuntr

You guys think that 1000 years into the future and in another Galaxy that the world is still basically a bunch of corridors with waist high walls?

aravuus

Was doing some math:

It doesn't really work like that at all

You guys think that 1000 years into the future and in another Galaxy that the world is still basically a bunch of corridors with waist high walls?

of course and there will be a shotgun type weapon and a pistol type weapon and what's that? ah a sniper rifle. Its what we deserve for buying so many shooters I guess :D

Sou Da

Ok, if you wanna get real for a second, it's less about being absolutely plausible and more about being satisfying for the player.

Yeah I figured this is what is was about, wasn't the whole point of the ME1 ending supposed to establish how powerful the Reapers were and how there would be no conventional way to defeat them all?

Out of all the factors to ignore for an ending that seems to be a pretty big one. It was clear, to me at least that the sequels would have you search for some plot device to defend the galaxy from the reapers and it happened.

That CA bit at the end, just don't. Don't go down that road here, man.

Who knows.

Every person has a different perspective on what can and probably should happen in the future. I guess that is why sci fi games and movies are so damn popular. It gives us the feeling of already being present in that time, and that we get to witness what life in the future is all about.

Plus.. We just love to fantasize on what humanity will achieve. It is what makes us different from other species, and the fun fact about that is that each individual has a totally different perspective and I am glad that such a thing is being thrown into my favorite medium; games.

A-V-B

Yeah I figured this is what is was about, wasn't the whole point of the ME1 ending supposed to establish how powerful the Reapers were and how there would be no conventional way to defeat them all?

Out of all the factors to ignore for an ending that seems to be a pretty big one. It was clear, to me at least that the sequels would have you search for some plot device to defend the galaxy from the reapers and it happened.

That CA bit at the end, just don't. Don't go down that road here, man.

What, is Chris Avellone the Devil in these parts? The way Alpha Protocol handled its ending was a masterwork in reactive modularity. And from what I hear, one hell of an ordeal for the dev team. Which is why it probably wouldn't fly with Mass Effect. Bioware just wouldn't have the time to do it.

Kosma

Banned

This is why I stopped playing ME3.

I was on this alien planet early on, the surface, and I was running in corridors.

Quit right there.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This lines up pretty damn well with what I've heard, what EatChildren has heard, what everyone who has heard anything has heard.

Huh.

The next Mass Effect game takes place in the Helius Cluster (a cluster of 100s of solar systems in the Andromeda Galaxy), far removed by time and space from Commander Shepard’s heroic acts and the final events of the Mass Effect trilogy. You are a pathfinder, a combat trained but un-tested explorer leading an expedition into the Helius cluster to establish a new home for humanity. As you explore this sprawling series of solar systems (over 4x the size of Mass Effect 3), collecting resources and building colonies, you will encounter the savagery of untamed lands in the form of cut-throat outlaws and warring alien races. To survive and colonize the wild reaches of space, you will need to grow your arsenal, your ship, your crew and make strategic (and often uneasy) alliances to fight against increasingly menacing foes. Along the way, you will encounter the remains of a once powerful and mysterious alien race, the Remnant, whose forgotten technology holds the key to gaining power in this region of the galaxy. As you uncover who the Remnant were, and the mysteries their ruins contain, you are drawn into a violent race to find the source of their forgotten technology that will determine the fate of humanity

so.... its just Mass effect 1-3 all in 1 game? Thats what it sounds like.

Sou Da

What, is Chris Avellone the Devil in these parts? The way Alpha Protocol handled its ending was a masterwork in reactive modularity. And from what I hear, one hell of an ordeal for the dev team. Which is why it probably wouldn't fly with Mass Effect. Bioware just wouldn't have the time to do it.

Nah, mentioning him usually just leads to a conversation I've had many times before and don't want to have again.

A-V-B

Nah, mentioning him usually just leads to a conversation I've had many times before and don't want to have again.

Oh. I see. One of those conversations. I think I know what you mean. Well in that case, I'll never convince you that any of my points are worth considering, presumably, so have a nice day.

I think it plays fine, if you don't try to play it like a third person shooter, if you treat it more like a traditional rpg it makes more sense, I.e pausing and planning out your attacks.

I do play it that way, but just because we are used to how the game played and adapted to it does not mean the combat did not have problems. For instance, the cover system was very clunky, and the enemies would bullrush you in closed environments. The game was not very flexible in how to really deal with these circumstances, with either using your weapons or powers.

Sou Da

Oh. I see. One of those conversations. I think I know what you mean. Well in that case, I'll never convince you that any of my points are worth considering, presumably, so have a nice day.
:lol
I think you misunderstood what type of conversation I meant.

Your points are valid and would have made for a more satisfying endgame for the player, I just think that with what they previously established they would have never considered going forward with anything that didn't involve some sort of reaper disabling plot device.

prag16

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if first colony you establish at start of the game is one that grows into large / densely populated hub over time as you keep upgrading and expanding it with resources and tech you find.

That or if game features huge colony ship then that can be that major hub area.

To be clear; Those are just ideas of my own that I came up with after reading survey stuff.

Yeah. That sounds reasonable, and is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Also, can we all stop saying "special snowflake"?

We'd rather the protagonist be a "nobody"?

And the complaints about the prospective antagonists are overblown considering we still know very little. I'm sure we'll find out more before long.

LordOfChaos

Sounds great. Completely different galaxy from the old ones. That's exciting. I hope they make the new galaxy adequately alien.

Am I missing something here? Is this an expectation or was it stated?

Expectation. I would like it to be just a tool to defeat the original inhabitants of the galaxy, but this is BioWare we are talking about here. Raising the stakes is kinda what they do.

Ushay

So when is this taking place? We know it's totally out of the way from the original trilogy. Are we talking after or before?

A-V-B

:lol
I think you misunderstood what type of conversation I meant.

Your points are valid and would have made for a more satisfying endgame for the player, I just think that with what they previously established they would have never considered going forward with anything that didn't involve some sort of reaper disabling plot device.

Guess it's all about who you're writing for. A long series can, and often does, take its own shape, unique from your original framework. A theme, or even a desire, expresses itself through the development of the work. Sort of like raising a child. You may plan for them to be a doctor, but as they grow, you may discover they have a farmer's heart, or the hands of a master pianist. So how do you continue raising them?

Sou Da

Guess it's all about who you're writing for. A long series can, and often does, take its own shape, separate from your original framework. A theme, or even a desire, expresses itself through the development of the work. Sort of like raising a child. You may plan for them to be a doctor, but as they grow, you may discover they have a farmer's heart, or the hands of a master pianist. So how do you continue raising them?

Beat the doctor into them.
/s

Top Bottom