• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Accounts that have spent less than $5 on Steam now have limited access

Where did you get "us" from?

If you're asking who's not OK with the new restrictions, then me. I like posting on the forums among whatever else they restricted. Anyway I'm not too invested in steam or this thread, I just wanted to point out its not as peachy as you guys want to jump up and make it to be. And I understand my opinion on it is incredibly unpopular. Not to get off topic but 'm gonna go get blazed and boot up PoE

From your post, the one I quoted. You said it was going to cost "us" $5 which isn't the case at all, it would cost "you" and the other small contingent of people who are using Steam without having put a fiver through their account.

And the restrictions aren't that severe anyway, you can still post in the community forums but you'll have a bigger wait between posts. People can still add you as a friend, you just have to be invited. You can still talk to people on your friends list, but only using the client rather than the web or mobile app chat. The disadvantage is so small, honestly I could live with those restrictions because of how I use Steam these days.

Your opinion on it is unpopular because people who do spend money on Steam and have a large investment in it are getting sick of spam and phishing attempts, which have most certainly been on the rise since the increase in f2p games available on the service.

pompidu

Even in an alternate world where Origin had any non-storefront features that anyone on Earth cared about, I really don't think so, no. These kinds of restrictions are common on many platforms (gaming and otherwise) and Valve's implementation is actually quite mild (unusually low dollar threshold, very minor set of features).

Never heard of or used any service the locked out features if you havent spent money, after the fact that they created an account.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Never heard of or used any service the locked out features if you havent spent money, after the fact that they created an account.

pretty much any MMO in existence that is F2P or has a trial period.

pompidu

That would require Origin to actually have the features mentioned. They don't have a single one of them.

Pretty sure theres friend invites (could be wrong, been a long while since ive used it), but yes they dont have much of the features. I guess im more or less shocked about the positivity surrounding this. I Understand the reason but its scummy imo.

Pretty sure theres friend invites (could be wrong, been a long while since ive used it), but yes they dont have much of the features. I guess im more or less shocked about the positivity surrounding this. I Understand the reason but its scummy imo.

There's a lot of positivity about it because it solves a long-standing, unpleasant problem with the service and causes real (as in, not purely hypothetical) problems for basically no legitimate users.

Then think of something that is better, something that is not the terrible "solutions" that others think will do anything other than just make things worse for "customers" or do absolutely nothing against the bots.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
But once again just as a curiosity, I find it a little amusing that their solution to this problem cost us a (MEANINGLESS according to rich-GAF) $5, and will make them god knows how much money.

Send proof you have a Steam account with no purchases on it, that you use regularly for the features that are being restricted, and "rich-GAF" will give you the money you need to get your account unrestricted--you can use that money to gift them a game. Problem solved.

pompidu

There's a lot of positivity about it because it solves a long-standing, unpleasant problem with the service and causes real (as in, not purely hypothetical) problems for basically no legitimate users.

Never had any issues with spambots on Steam.

Then think of something that is better, something that is not the terrible "solutions" that others think will do anything other than just make things worse for "customers" or do absolutely nothing against the bots.

Use captcha codes that require human intervention? I made a steam account like 10 years ago so i have no idea what the account creation process requires.

Aselith

Send proof you have a Steam account with no purchases on it, that you use regularly for the features that are being restricted, and "rich-GAF" will give you the money you need to get your account unrestricted--you can use that money to gift them a game. Problem solved.

I love the implied accusation that Valve did this to extort money from people. If this touches more .5% of their user base I could be legitimately shocked.

MUnited83

For you.

Use captcha codes that require human intervention? I made a steam account like 10 years ago so i have no idea what the account creation process requires.

captcha codes were introduced long ago. Didn't really work.

Just because you haven't seen them, doesn't mean they don't exist. As many people have said already, if you have anything of value in your inventory or used to do a lot of trading, then you will get spambots.

Captcha is not the end all be all that so many seem to think it is either. It literally takes a few extra seconds to input and that's it....so hard for people to do before they run their bots.

i think it should be extended to those with a retail key. Other than that i dont see the problem with this.

As it has been said a million times in this thread alone, bundle keys are considered retail. You can buy bundles for next to nothing.

Jams775

Did they impliment this yet? I just got a damn invite from a level 0 with a private profile named vasilina. This is the problem. I'd normally accept it because I put my steam name out there for neogaf and giant bomb people to play with but now I can't tell.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Did they impliment this yet? I just got a damn invite from a level 0 with a private profile named vasilina. This is the problem. I'd normally accept it because I put my steam name out there for neogaf and giant bomb people to play with but now I can't tell.

block

Got bunch of dota items. What are the bots spamming about?

Of course they didn't do this to squeeze 5 measly dollars out of users.

"Bunch of Dota items" doesn't really say much when it comes to value. Do you have items that are worth multiple dollars each?

Except it doesn't "squeeze" anything out of users, most users have already payed that much when they've bought games.

They could probably whitelist specific actual retail keys if they wanted to, but I don't think they'd put the work in unless this rule wound up actually significantly restricting a big set of users.

Make bundle keys?

There already are bundle keys though? The only way for bundle keys to be something different than the keys Steam sells, is for them to go through half of the games that Steam has and for them to make a completely different id for bundle items. They'd also have to look at every single person that has bought bundle keys and see that they aren't actually retail, something that would take an extraordinary amount of time.

draetenth

Well, I just got an invite from a level 0 user with a Private profile...

I have no idea how they get my name - I don't give it out and everything (profile, content, inventory) is set to private.

I'm not even sure why they are bothering with me as the only things I have in my inventory are: HL2, HL2 - Episode 1, two copies of The Ship gift pack, and Dead Island Epidemic Open Beta.

Massa

Well, my nephew is 11 and every game he owns on Steam was gifted to him, so this certainly affects him.

Well, my nephew is 11 and every game he owns on Steam was gifted to him, so this certainly affects him.

What could he possibly be doing at 11 that would make this affect him? The only thing I could think of is not being able to invite friends, which I would find it strange if literally all of his friends were in the same situation.

Every single one was gifted directly? He never at any point got a Steam giftcard or cash added directly to the wallet that was then used to purchase games for him? Are you absolutely certain of that?

And then, yes, which of the limited features is going to inconvenience this kid if he hasn't?

Every single one was gifted directly? He never at any point got a Steam giftcard or cash added directly to the wallet that was then used to purchase games for him? Are you absolutely certain of that?

And then, yes, which of the limited features is going to inconvenience this kid if he hasn't?

Now he can't talk to his nan on his phone, they have both been using the steam chat feature for years to keep in touch.
:p

Of course they didn't do this to squeeze 5 measly dollars out of users.

What is the payoff from scammers? If it is > $5 then Valve are just seizing an opportunity.

After all, they have no trouble profiting from kids gambling online or other scummy practices like selling ubisoft games.

I get soooooo many of these stupid friend requests. Mainly cause I have a shitton of trading cards (go go idlem@ster) and all the wierd and wonderful one-off TF2 items I have (such as the potato hard hat, the quantum conumdrum badge, the pip-boy, etc...)

Glad to know it's getting cracked down on.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Steam requires users be at least 13 years to have an account, as is obvious on the account signup page. Do you mean your 13 year-old nephew?

Deadbeat

Banned
Just about blocked another person that added me that was level 1 but they actually buying a bunch of my leftover tf2 stuff.

Its gonna take a little while for me to lose that block trigger finger.

Mr_Zombie

You can buy a $10-$20 Steam card. Seriously, it really isn't as big of a deal as you want this to be.

Breaking news: Steam cards aren't available in every country. Not to mention, you still have to pay additional money after you bought your game and as was previously mentioned, Steam prices in Europe aren't as attractive (compared to other shops, digital and retail) as they are in America.

Requiring people to spend money at a store to be able to hang out at the store. What a shocking concept.

Steam isn't just a store. It wouldn't be a problem if it was just that. But for many people it's a service that they have to use in order to activate and play their games.

I really do feel sorry for anyone who thinks that $5 makes someone "rich".

Oh ffs, it's not about how much it is. It's about that you have to count it as additional cost to your new $60 game if you don't have a Steam account yet (or are still a limited user) and that you have to spent (or at least lock) those money on Steam even if you don't need to buy anything from the store.

Apart from the friend invite non of the restrictrions have much impact. unless you think voting on workshop items and the steam market (how do you even use this one without a credit card) are key features.

and friends can still invite you.

Except friend invites is a big feature, since without it you can't talk with other gamers via Steam (sucks for games that don't allow in-game chat) and can't invite them to play a game. Yeah, it's no issue if those "other gamers" are your friends you know from real life or other social services. It sucks though if you've just played a good co-op game with a random stranger found via matchmaking and now have to hope that he decides to send you a friend invitation (unless he's also a limited user - then you're both screwed).

One can get keys for free or very cheap thanks to indie bundles and giveaways, so no, it wouldn't work if retail games were allowed to lift the limit.

Then maybe Valve should change their key generator so that based on the key they could different between retail CD keys and those handed to Humble Bundles and other such initiatives?

People are ignoring it because these hypothetical users who have hundreds of dollars of retail activated software on their account, have never spent a dime on the store directly, but somehow desperately need Steam mobile chat and trading cards are imaginary.

Friend invites. Yes, those other features are meaningless, but being able to invite those random people you've just played a game with as friends is a big feature.

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more I'm convinced this will directly benefit 50%+ of users getting hit by spambots and it will affect negatively 0.1% of people who can't be arsed to spend 5 bucks to buy one of these legitimately great digital-only games but need the locked features.
We had a ton of threads about awesome sub-5 games.

I'm amazed at all these people who don't have any access to traditional payment methods. I guess they don't own a mobile phone or a console.

Edit: I'd love to see stats on how many non-spambot accounts have never spent a dime on Steam and use these features.

Derpcrawler

I would make this 10USD at minimum. Bots still spam invites, especially if you have expensive inventory.

For people whining- get the fuck out, I am sure me and other 70%+ of steam users really appreciate greatly reduced spam and risk of scam. Stories about 11 year old nephews are so stupid. First of all, you need to be 13 to use Steam.

Except friend invites is a big feature, since without it you can't talk with other gamers via Steam (sucks for games that don't allow in-game chat) and can't invite them to play a game. Yeah, it's no issue if those "other gamers" are your friends you know from real life or other social services. It sucks though if you've just played a good co-op game with a random stranger found via matchmaking and now have to hope that he decides to send you a friend invitation (unless he's also a limited user - then you're both screwed).

It's really hard to garner sympathy for those people who really value such a function, and cannot in any way add the additional $5 to their account to get it. It's a bit much to ask of Valve to design their system for an online distribution platform and gaming community for them.

Maybe it's not a 100% perfect system for absolutely everyone, but when is anything ever that?

Halabane

You spend money on steam, in most cases, you used a credit card. With that if they have issues with you they have some form of identification. Of course that goes to hell if you use a steam card, unless when you buy and they unlock it the credit card used to buy it gets linked to that steam card number. Look they are trying to get rid of jerks. Not sure this will help a lot but at least they are trying.

Now if you are a high school kid with no bucks then yeah this probably sucks to be you. Ask mom and dad to let you buy some stupid ass item for 5 bucks. Then go mow the lawn or do the dishes.

Till we go to id cards or real id or whatever this crap will always be there. I think that if Valve and others don't do something...then when something bad happens they may end in court for creating the situation and not doing anything about it.

Top Bottom