• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

TheFalconPunch

Neo Member
Edited in the new blue PS4 boxes for the 3d previews. I'll look into those requests when I get some time. Next up is a GTAV cover.

bah, i don't like the effect I used here. I will redo later, out of time for tonight.

Hey, if you haven't started those requests, don't feel like you have to. Even though I'm not a photoshop wiz, I decided to try to my hand at making a cover and I kind of like how it came out. I think I'll try to make my own PS4 set too. :)

Still love your stuff, though. That Crew one is gorgeous. I think the effect looks fine.

(Btw: I used a free-to-use photoshop-like suite called Gimp, for anyone else who might be photoshopless and looking to try and make their own covers).

RJWUekq.jpg

Renpatsu

Hey, if you haven't started those requests, don't feel like you have to. Even though I'm not a photoshop wiz, I decided to try to my hand at making a cover and I kind of like how it came out. I think I'll try to make my own PS4 set too. :)
That's a nice cover. You could afford to get rid of the black stroke entirely though, so it fits with the Wii U logo - or alternatively just make the stroke colour a light subtle blue so that it isn't too noticeable.

Edit: Also a reminder, saving as a JPG file means that the quality of the image will be compressed creating artifacts that may detract from an otherwise solid design. Save in an uncompressed format means that yes, the file size will be larger, but ultimately would be of a higher quality when it comes time for print.

Saro

Is there any chance that some could make a custom cover for Monster Hunter 4? The current box art make me feel like I bought a bootleg DVD from down the block.

Niosai

Is there any chance that some could make a custom cover for Monster Hunter 4? The current box art make me feel like I bought a bootleg DVD from down the block.
I was going to try, but it seems like there's a big drought of official MH4U/MH4G art. The European cover does look a lot better IMO, though, so maybe try going with that.

TheFalconPunch

Neo Member
That's a nice cover. You could afford to get rid of the black stroke entirely though, so it fits with the Wii U logo - or alternatively just make the stroke colour a light subtle blue so that it isn't too noticeable.

Edit: Also a reminder, saving as a JPG file means that the quality of the image will be compressed creating artifacts that may detract from an otherwise solid design. Save in an uncompressed format means that yes, the file size will be larger, but ultimately would be of a higher quality when it comes time for print.

Thanks for the advice.

What file type would you suggest? I had actually exported it as a png so I'm not sure how it ended up as .jpg. Maybe my lack of imgur knowledge?

Megauap

My first ever cover! I'm pretty satisfied with the result :)

kzsw_covervzj3i.png

Btw, does anyone know any interesting tutorials? I want to improve my skills.

DryvBy

I want to make cases for my old GB games that I lost the boxes for and I have a couple of questions. How do you make something like this? As in, how do I get a GB case like this? And are there any for NES/SNES/N64/Genesis that are exactly like that?

Also, I saw someone post re-printed NES boxes a while back. Anyone have some helpful info on that?

Did a quick mock-up of an MGS4 cover with my new PS3 template.
0MmPDRH.png

Did away with quite a large part of my PS3 library that I didn't care for, and looking to convert what I've got left to PS4/Criterion-sized cases to match my PS4 games. Nothing too fancy, since it's basically just to show off the template (I do intend to use this piece of artwork for the MGS4 cover though.)

Don't mind the bilingual text, as I accidentally didn't use my regular US/EU template for this.

Renpatsu

That is one of the best covers I've seen!! I hope you make one for PS4 when it releases.
I hate to make a request, but someone should PLEASE do a Type-0 cover. That cover with the demo marker needs to be replaced.

Thanks!
I guess this would be a good time to post the PS4 version of my Vita Type-0 cover.
I would like to second this. I'd be eternally grateful if someone could alter the front cover below into a printable alt.
And an alternative using the CE colour scheme.

Did a quick mock-up of an MGS4 cover with my new PS3 template.
0MmPDRH.png

Did away with quite a large part of my PS3 library that I didn't care for, and looking to convert what I've got left to PS4/Criterion-sized cases to match my PS4 games. Nothing too fancy, since it's basically just to show off the template (I do intend to use this piece of artwork for the MGS4 cover though.)

Don't mind the bilingual text, as I accidentally didn't use my regular US/EU template for this.
That's a-freaking-amazing. The PS3 banner didn't need tinkering with but I'll be damned if that's not a better cover than the boring one we got with the closeup of Old Snake's face.

hurzelein

Bought around 20 original Vita game cases on ebay for cheap money for all the awesome Indiegames on Vita. Not sure what I will do with 20 x Little Deviants catridges, but as new Vita cases are hard to come by in Europe (A Rip off is sold on ebay.com but as I heard they don't have the beste quality) I prefered to buy these.

Now I just need more time for the covers :D

JDHarbs

I ran into too many issues with my XB1 3D template so I moved on to a PS4 one. It's basically just a modified version of the 360 template resized and colored to fit a PS4 cover. I'll add a download link one I finish tweaking it.

It doesn't work as far back as CS2 does ist?
If the 360 template works for CS2 then this one should.

RedSwirl

I ran into too many issues with my XB1 3D template so I moved on to a PS4 one. It's basically just a modified version of the 360 template resized and colored to fit a PS4 cover. I'll add a download link one I finish tweaking it.

It doesn't work as far back as CS2 does ist?

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
Hey all been away for a while, but came back because I'm remodeling my house and my games will be more on display so I needs me some custom covers, you guys do amazing work.

Anyways question, it looks like there are a ton of newer games missing minimalist covers, or the 1st page isn't updated. Are they just not made or is there a new thread or location I should be searching?

if you're interested I'm looking for Farcry 4, Shadows of Mordor and Dragon age: Inquisition

Thanks all, Keep up the good work!

Griss

Hi all. Love this thread, so I decided I'd let it be my impetus to finally learn photoshop. (Well, that and getting it as part of my new Lightroom subscription - I love Lightroom.)

I've been tinkering with the templates for an hour, including a half-hour intro tutorial done by lifehacker, and I have to say the program and the templates posted are fantastic.

I have some questions, though.
1. How do I make a preview from the template that applies my cover to a 3D box like this for PS4 or Wii U:
I don't see links for those in the OP. (EDIT: Okay, so it appears the PS4 one is still being worked on and the Wii box should work for Wii U. I get it now. Thanks to everyone who makes these possible.)
2. I've been dragging JPGs and PNGs into photoshop and then struggling to edit them because it says they're smartobjects. I eventually figure it out each time (I think I have to rasterize them - no idea what that does) but I'd like to know how best to import images as layers to work with.
3. Is there any particular place to look for high res official art, particularly Nintendo stuff? I found the official box art for DoA5 on FreeStepDodge, so that's my training one right now.

I'm not artistic so I won't be producing anything good but just the chance to do my own covers is great - for many games almost anything would be an improvement. When I get an answer to the 3D preview question I'll post the rubbish I'm working on :)

Hey all been away for a while, but came back because I'm remodeling my house and my games will be more on display so I needs me some custom covers, you guys do amazing work.

Anyways question, it looks like there are a ton of newer games missing minimalist covers, or the 1st page isn't updated. Are they just not made or is there a new thread or location I should be searching?

if you're interested I'm looking for Farcry 4, Shadows of Mordor and Dragon age: Inquisition

Thanks all, Keep up the good work!

I don't think the OP is updated with everything people do, or at all anymore. I know I've seen a FC4 cover in here somewhere, check the last couple of pages.

EDIT:
Okay an update - a basic DoA5 Last Round cover for PC. Couldn't believe how easy this was for someone who just downloaded photoshop today for the first time ever. The templates and scripts are incredible. Used a slightly NSFW screenshot for the back cover, but hey, it represents the game, right? I'd rather do something more interesting but this was a 20-minute job to see how easy it would be.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Any PS2 Silent Hill Shattered Memories covers about?
Got a copy from Germany and wanna replace it, I like the art but something more minimal with that artwork would be nice.

Just what the doctor ordered.

I'm looking to transplant my GC collection to mini-jewel cases, and I'm trying to find the right artwork to make them, and the exact dimensions.

Collection contains:

Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Gems Collection
Baten Kaitos Origins (this will be hard since I'd need a case with 2 disc spaces)
Kirby Air Ride
Mario Superstar Baseball
Pokemon XD
Ribbit King
Chibi-Robo
Star Fox Assault

Having trouble just getting art of SADX and SA2B without logos since all I find are pieces with the original logos on them (Sonic Adenture and Sonic Adventure 2).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

So I just did the 4 games for 10$ deal at Gamestop and well since its Gamestop all the cases are pretty much blank. So I've decided I want to use these custom covers but just want some clarification.

If I want to print these out at an OfficeMax how exactly do I go about it? Do I download the covers I want from Dropbox onto a USB and hand it to them? Do I need to tell them the dimensions needed? Ive never printed at a store before so im completely clueless. Also is it still .73 cents per page? It seems so cheap considering how much ink we'd use.

Renpatsu

So I just did the 4 games for 10$ deal at Gamestop and well since its Gamestop all the cases are pretty much blank. So I've decided I want to use these custom covers but just want some clarification.

If I want to print these out at an OfficeMax how exactly do I go about it? Do I download the covers I want from Dropbox onto a USB and hand it to them? Do I need to tell them the dimensions needed? Ive never printed at a store before so im completely clueless. Also is it still .73 cents per page? It seems so cheap considering how much ink we'd use.
Not in the US so I don't know about OfficeMax specifically, but many print stores will allow you to print files directly from a USB if they're in a compatible image format.

In regards to the dimensions, although there may be exceptions, by and large all the files in this thread should already be accurate in size and all you'd have to do is request the store to print at 100% and not scaled to the page. If you mention that they're for video game cases they'll likely choose the correct paper size for you.

when i used to print them at office depot it was cheap for the printing but still had to pay for the paper on top.

Not in the US so I don't know about OfficeMax specifically, but many print stores will allow you to print files directly from a USB if they're in a compatible image format.

In regards to the dimensions, although there may be exceptions, by and large all the files in this thread should already be accurate in size and all you'd have to do is request the store to print at 100% and not scaled to the page. If you mention that they're for video game cases they'll likely choose the correct paper size for you.

Ahh hopefully its the same here. Thank you though!

when i used to print them at office depot it was cheap for the printing but still had to pay for the paper on top.

So there is an additional fee then? For 4 of these how much should I expect to be paying? Also is what the guy above said correct? The files here are already the right size and simply bringing in the usb and handing it over will give me the right covers?

Still looking for a little clarification about the above post, OfficeMax is the only place around me that does prints but its definitely out of the way. Wanna make sure I know everything I need before having to make the trip down there.

it's been a while but it shouldn't bee more than 2.50. if it's like the office depot they should have photoshop. just open it, and print. i had to, for some reason click scale to fit or whatever its called. it shrunk it a tad height wise but length wise it was good. couldn'r tell it was too small.

it's been a while but it shouldn't bee more than 2.50. if it's like the office depot they should have photoshop. just open it, and print. i had to, for some reason click scale to fit or whatever its called. it shrunk it a tad height wise but length wise it was good. couldn'r tell it was too small.

Thanks alot!

Squalliczek

Neo Member
Hi, looking for cover for Batman: Arkham Origins. Front Covers PS3 logo on the side only PS3 logo and inscription Arkham Origins. Anyone of you has the cover. Thank you in advance and best regards.

Top Bottom