• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A visual appreciation of Shovel Knight's first level, and of tutorials done RIGHT

Draft

Here's a theory: if the major mechanics of a game cannot be demonstrated without instruction in the first level, the mechanics are too complicated or too numerous.

I really enjoyed reading the OP and I agree that Shovel Knight does a great job explaining the game mechanics without forcing the player through a boring, verbose tutorial.

Neiteio

One question that did pop into my mind while watching people like the Two Best Friends play this game, is more of a visual design nature: which castle is featured in the background of stage 1? As far as I can tell, none of the two initial knight castles look like that tall tower you see there, so which castle are we seeing then?

I love it when games, apart from everything you touch upon, also provide visual clues that allude to future segments, such as showing something in the background that you will later get to visit (which Dark Souls 2's Majula area does as well, though I'm not 100% sure if all those distant areas are actually in that game either as I haven't played it to completion yet). Hopefully, this castle is featured in the game world of SK in other words, making the castle in the background of stage 1 more than just nice eye-candy.
The castle in the background is actually the Tower of Fate, where the final boss resides, and where Shovel Knight is going to rescue his beloved friend, Shield Knight. It's off in the distance, so they're showing you where you're going. But you won't get there for another eight levels (and many side levels in-between). It reminds me of the start of Journey, where you can see the mountain you're ultimately going to climb, but it's far, far away. :)

mclem

Here's a theory: if the major mechanics of a game cannot be demonstrated without instruction in the first level, the mechanics are too complicated or too numerous.

I don't think that's effective as a full-on rule, it sort of means that (say) complex simulations are right out. And while 'levels' aren't really a discrete concept for it, it was a good few hours of Civilization before I'd got a handle of the basic structure.

Certainly, though, it works if the intended goals are to make a game that's meant to be instantly accessible.

I'd say Half-Life 1's Hazard Course (and in turn, the tutorials from Op4. Can't speak for Blue Shift) is a good example of most of those points being done very right. It's optionally accessed from the menu, it's thematically tied very nicely with the game, it's demonstrated by the Hazard Course Hologram, and it covers some mechanics that *are* a bit unconventional for FPSes at the time (Long jump, mantling)

Yep, it's a memorable tutorial sequence. Half Life 2 didn't do the same thing, but it teaches new mechanics across the whole game non-intrusively, Valve tends to do their tutorials rather elegantly.

Rubikant

Its awesome to see threads like this highlighting this style of tutorialization. I've always been a big proponent of teaching players in this way rather than the hand-holding forced tutorials used by typical modern games. It was a major goal in the development of Volgarr the Viking to use techniques like this.

No one made a detailed post about this aspect specifically, but someone early on did make a video preview that went into some detail on how Volgarr used this teaching style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZmioPG5fls

Its one of my favorite videos about Volgarr, largely because I was so pleased that someone actually noticed and pointed out the effort that went into trying to teach the player without being a nuisance about it. I hope the SK guys have seen this thread!

Excellent dissection of the first level Neiteio; your post was thoroughly satisfying to read. I'd also point out something I picked up on when playing through the level myself:
wiiu_screenshot_tv_017skhs.jpg

Here the game presents the player with a choice: Go left and hit the imperfection in the wall to reveal a secret passage, as previously learned, or go right and proceed with the level. The player knows he must jump over the spikes, and he can get the drop on the skeleton by leaping off the sand block and using the shovel drop to defeat the enemy in close quarters. The imperfection in the wall leads to a series of pitfalls the player can then leap across to reach treasure.
This is the second skeleton you encounter so far. The first fight provided an opportunity to learn that the skeleton enemies won't start moving until you get close. This encounter re-iterates that point, but requires the player position themselves between the enemy and an environmental hazard for the enemy to start moving in to attack. Since this is the first time such a scenario occurs with this enemy, the developers put a small sand block in the path of the enemy, preventing it from rushing the player straight into the pit of spikes.
This scenario is reused later in the level:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01p0jfh.jpg

A skeleton that stops just short of the edge, risking knockback down a bottomless hole, and a narrow ledge that requires pixel-perfect jumping. By this point the player is well-attuned to the controls -- controls so tight, they're an extension of the mind.
Notice that the player actually has two options here: the first is to just stand at the end of the ledge they're currently standing on; your position is close enough such that the skeleton will rush forward and fall off the ledge to their death (i.e. the "haste makes waste" point again). Alternatively the player may jump onto the platform with the skeleton and attempt to defeat it directly, this time without the safety net of an object blocking the skeleton's assault.

The concept of learning by doing/experiential learning is fantastic to put into games, that being said there's quite a ways to go still for refining this process for in-game actions that are of greater complexity, or where the controls are more abstract. Take for example the village area immediately after the tutorial in this game. The first thing that happens is the player is forced into a conversation with a nearby guard. At the end of the conversation the player is told:
This is the game explicitly telling the player controls, much like a regular game tutorial. Regardless of the elegance of how this is performed the game is still telling me how to play it rather than letting me discover it through play. The same thing occurs when gaining an item:
Of course these actions are using more abstract control inputs; pressing up to talk to someone doesn't seem terribly intuitive compared to the controls to shovel downwards (at least to the average person; a more experienced gamer probably disagrees since they have a library of acquired gaming knowledge and are more savvy to the medium). This issue isn't indicative of some failing of the developers of this game though (haven't played much of it myself, but what I have played is fantastic) but rather shows just how difficult it is to implicitly teach a player through experimentation and interaction compared to just telling them what to do.

Neiteio

Yeah, it's true the first NPC in the first village tells you how to talk to people, and that when you acquire a relic, the game tells you the button to use it. But I don't think that takes away from the impressive feat of the first level (and every subsequent level) in terms of teaching new mechanics and applications of those mechanics, all without every appearing as a tutorial. Design like that makes me happy. :)

rpmurphy

I noticed the design of the first stage too, and it was neat.

However, it took me quite a long time until I realized that I only needed to press down on the D-pad to strike down (since I was always used to using the action button along with the directional pad for actions like that).

Nixonomics

Awesome write-up, Neiteio. I love seeing an appreciation for smart level design - I hope the YCG team sees this.

I think one indicator of a great tutorial is that it goes completely unnoticed. The mechanics and systems of a game should be slowly fed to the player (but not too slowly), not introduced via text dumps in a sterile tutorial environment. Tutorials should exist as an unwritten dialogue between the player and the game, explaining the mechanics through trial and error - thus allowing the player to enjoy the sense of discovery and slow mastery of the mechanics that many modern games deprive the player of. Most players probably don't even realize they've experienced a 'tutorial' in SK - which is brilliant. I felt like I was born to shovel after 1-1.

Do you guys think game designers today are unaware of how bad their tutorials are? Or do they forgo taking the time to develop a good tutorial for other reasons (i.e. Easier to design? Not a priority? Not enough time?)

Neiteio

Awesome write-up, Neiteio. I love seeing an appreciation for smart level design - I hope the YCG team sees this.

I think one indicator of a great tutorial is that it goes completely unnoticed. The mechanics and systems of a game should be slowly fed to the player (but not too slowly), not introduced via text dumps in a sterile tutorial environment. Tutorials should exist as an unwritten dialogue between the player and the game, explaining the mechanics through trial and error - thus allowing the player to enjoy the sense of discovery and slow mastery of the mechanics that many modern games deprive the player of. Most players probably don't even realize they've experienced a 'tutorial' in SK - which is brilliant. I felt like I was born to shovel after 1-1.

Do you guys think game designers today are unaware of how bad their tutorials are? Or do they forgo taking the time to develop a good tutorial for other reasons (i.e. Easier to design? Not a priority? Not enough time?)
Some people have pointed out that some games are so complex in their inputs and systems that it'd be unreasonable to expect gamers to learn everything organically without the game stepping in to explain itself. And I agree. But I feel like many games just take the tutorial approach too far. Rather than using it sparingly to explain less obvious inputs, even the most basic of interactions are detailed with prompts, pictures, dialogue, right from the start. And that just hamstrings the game's pacing and impact right out of the gate.

Tizoc

Please do excuse the bump, but IMO with SK out now on Sony systems and releasing soon on XB1, more GAFfers need to know about this.

Portal does it very well in my opinion, the mechanics are simple but it escalates the complexity to each room so well and you learn what do so fluidly and easily. The game is just amazingly designed.

It's even better when you listen to the making of Speech bubbles that the game has, the ingenious ways they came up with to teach the player to do things is amazing.

This is a really terrific breakdown of an excellent opening level. I only played SK for the first time about a month ago but I recognised how cleverly designed it was, subtly layering on more and more complexities to the simple mechanics.

Top Bottom