• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| Vita Savers

Just finished Cyber Sleuth at 79 hours (a lot of that time was spent getting certain Digimon).
Overall, it was a great Digimon game. I’d recommend it to any Digimon fan who’s willing to power through another language. I really hope it gets a Western release, so I can enjoy it fully. Here’s some pros and cons:

Pros
  • The Digimon models are fantastic. This is the best they’ve ever looked in game form and screenshots don’t do some of them justice.
  • The characters and story are great. While I have a few problems with it, I find it to be my favorite Digimon Story… story. I will say that if you heavily prefer the Adventure/Frontier feel (i.e. going on a journey in the Digital World) you might like the other Story games’ plots more, but I still feel this one is pretty good.
  • The music is awesome. There was a point where I got tired of certain tunes, but that should be expected after 79 hours. There are some tracks in the game I wish came with the CD, but Youtube’s good enough.
  • There are unique side quest stories that were fun to play through.
  • There are some cool looking dungeons. The ones toward the late game especially.
  • I loved Agumon and Gabumon.

Cons
  • The difficulty is way too easy. This becomes really apparent when you fight the (Chapter 19 side quest spoiler)
    Royal Knight copies
    and the DLC Demon Lords. Those fights felt like an actual challenge and weren’t easily blasted through by type advantage. I didn’t even care to know about some of my Digimons’ stats or moves until I faced them.
  • Going through the same type of dungeon gets pretty tiring (I hate Coulomb). Even some of the unique ones get a little boring after a few side quests.
  • After finishing the game, I feel the MC should have had more of a voice. He/She is as far away from a blank-slate a blank-slate can get. Emotional scenes would have been better with the lines voiced, imo.
  • Those fetch side quests need to die in a fire.
  • Late game spoilers:
    You see a lot less of EDEN towards the end, to the point I forgot it was there. I don’t know if it’s a con exactly, but I would have liked to see more areas
  • Chapter 20 spoilers:
    Like EDEN, I wanted to see more of the Digital World

Other notes
  • Moar Digimon pls. I know this is an obvious one, but there are some Digimon (like Wendimon, Cherubimon (Bad), and other Armor evolutions) I wish had made the cut. Hackmon needs his Adult and Perfect forms!
  • Playing as a girl makes the story strangely more “girl powery”. I can only imagine the harem that awaits male MC, lol.
  • After getting Imperialdramon PM, I will probably stop playing, so if you have a screenshot request, get it in now.
  • Speaking of, is anyone interested in a spoiler full story screenshot album? I wouldn’t mind putting one up, but it’s not worth the effort if no one wants to see it.

I sort of feel uncomfortable posting three times in a row, but I just wanted everyone to know that I'm probably done taking pictures at this point.

The gallery is here. If you don't see your favorite Digimon, chances are I just didn't take a picture of them (I missed a lot of the Mamemons).

Some Digimon need to work on their posing techniques. They should take some pointers from V-mon's line(s). :p

Man, I'm at 84 hours or so and still in Chapter 16. I guess I'm spending way more time than I should evolving my Digimon. The story is definitely pretty strong in my opinion. I do agree about the lack of a challenge. I think I've only died on one boss fight. I'm hoping to finish the game up in the next week or so. Right now this feels like a very strong contender for Game of the Year.

Paper Sparrow, how difficult is the platinum trophy, since you've just finished the game?

The hardest trophies to get would probably be collecting all of the Digimon medals, winning 30 matches online, and winning the harder offline Cups depending on how good you are.

The Digimon medals are pretty much worthless except for the trophy and I only have about 33% of them. I don't know how hard they would be to get if you got serious about collecting them though.

I think there is a trophy tied to the quiz questions your Digimon ask you, so that might be hard if you don't understand what they are asking.

As long as you make sure to do side quests and collect and evolve Digimon, the rest of the trophies are simple to get, imo.

Man, I'm at 84 hours or so and still in Chapter 16. I guess I'm spending way more time than I should evolving my Digimon. The story is definitely pretty strong in my opinion. I do agree about the lack of a challenge. I think I've only died on one boss fight. I'm hoping to finish the game up in the next week or so. Right now this feels like a very strong contender for Game of the Year.
I thought the same thing, but to be fair, I grinded a fair amount to get all the Digimon I wanted, so I think I was overleveled a little bit for some parts.

Also, I think we know how RPGs work by now, so I don't know if we can be overwhelemed like that.

I'm at the end of Chapter 19, so I should be close to the end of the game. I'll post my screenshots gallery when I get there, though right now I'm finishing sidequests instead of saving the world.

The
Royal Knights
bosses in the sidequests sure were no pushovers.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The hardest trophies to get would probably be collecting all of the Digimon medals, winning 30 matches online, and winning the harder offline Cups depending on how good you are.

The Digimon medals are pretty much worthless except for the trophy and I only have about 33% of them. I don't know how hard they would be to get if you got serious about collecting them though.

I think there is a trophy tied to the quiz questions your Digimon ask you, so that might be hard if you don't understand what they are asking.

As long as you make sure to do side quests and collect and evolve Digimon, the rest of the trophies are simple to get, imo.

Its so bullshit that they added a trophy which requires online play. That is one thing these days which Sony should make specific rules that state no online trophy for a single player game. Now if its a MP only game such as Planetside 2 for example or the upcoming starwars MP game different story.

I thought the same thing, but to be fair, I grinded a fair amount to get all the Digimon I wanted, so I think I was overleveled a little bit for some parts.

Also, I think we know how RPGs work by now, so I don't know if we can be overwhelemed like that.

I'm at the end of Chapter 19, so I should be close to the end of the game. I'll post my screenshots gallery when I get there, though right now I'm finishing sidequests instead of saving the world.

The
Royal Knights
bosses in the sidequests sure were no pushovers.

The
Royal Knight side quest bosses
were really the level the rest of the game's bosses should have been at. Not outrageously hard, but still a bit of a challenge.

The 7 Demon Lords were probably the most interesting fights, though they were DLC.

Its so bullshit that they added a trophy which requires online play. That is one thing these days which Sony should make specific rules that state no online trophy for a single player game. Now if its a MP only game such as Planetside 2 for example or the upcoming starwars MP game different story.

Yeah, that and the Digimon medals make me glad I'm not a trophy hunter. I'm not about that online battling/tons of worthless collectables life.

I'm spending too much time digievolving so I haven't touched the online colosseum yet but according to GameFAQs, it has fake "online players" to battle as well. I guess if it can't find any online players, it gives an AI one.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/757436-digimon-story-cyber-sleuth/71454752

Took a break from the game due to other releases, but I just got back to it this week (before Bravely Second no less).

Forgot how much I was loving it. It'd be a real shame if this never went west. I feel like it could do really well.

The
Royal Knight side quest bosses
were really the level the rest of the game's bosses should have been at. Not outrageously hard, but still a bit of a challenge.

The 7 Demon Lords were probably the most interesting fights, though they were DLC.

The final round of the Platinum Cup was also pretty challenging, at least for me. But the story bosses are all pretty easy as long as you have a balanced team. I hope the next game has a higher level of challenge, as well as a lot more Digimon.

And I'm finally done, after 76 hours of playtime. Some of it was spent grinding the Digimon I wanted, but it wasn't that long with the help of my trusty Triple PlatinumSukamon. I enjoyed it a lot, and I would recommend it to anybody if it were to get a western release, even if there aren't Digimon fans, because I think it is a fine RPG on its own. Heck, I'm not even that big of a Digimon fan myself.

Here are some things I liked and disliked :

+ Dang damn this game is beautiful. The lack of Anti-Aliasing is a shame, but it was probably the only way they could keep a acceptable framerate through the entire game, and the animation quality makes up for it anyway. I got a few slowdowns in graphical heavy areas, but nothing to be angry about. The Digimon models are just wonderful, and all of their special attacks are animated.
+ Speaking of graphics, dungeons and towns are looking super cool, especially the Digital Shifts. Going through Nakano Broadway again made me nostalgic, they even kept TRF.
- It's a shame the digital dungeons more or less look the same though, there could have been some more variety in it.
+ Atmosphere in general is fantastic, especially in the final areas.
- That maid model is seriously looking like she wants to eat my soul.

+ Characters are fantastic, and their development is excellent, as well as their interaction with each other. I also loved seeing Rina and Mirei again.
+ Story is good. It's not perfect, but it had some interesting twists and strong moments. The scenario kept growing stronger until the end of the game. It felt "right" as a RPG.
= I feel like the silent protagonist could have been avoided, but I guess it's personal preference.
- At the beginning, Digimon felt a little... out of place? Maybe that's just me.
+ Most of them are adorable though, especially Agumon and Gabumon.

+ Music is great, and is handled perfectly to flow with the story. Voice acting was also great, though some actors felt a bit out of place.
I mean, come on, Gankoomon was MADE for Norio Wakamoto and they put him to Leopardmon?

+ Content-wise, the game is huge. There are a lot of things to do beside the main story, and sidequests are handled pretty well, albeit a few of them are repetitive and without much interest. Optional bosses were cool, and post-game content is present. I cannot play the DLC sidequests since I don't have a JP account on my Vita, but it is apparently a fun addition to the game.
- A fair amount of backtracking is required, which is unfortunate. Some small digital dungeons are just copy/pasted.
+ A lot of sidequests are really fun though.
- EDEN felt completely tossed aside towards the end of the game, and some areas become useless once you went through them once. クーロン isn't very interesting overall.
+ That being said, EDEN is well exploited in the first chapters, and is a cool concept.
-
I wanted to see more Digital World. :(

- The game is easy. If I had to compare the game to another one in terms of difficulty, I would say Final Fantasy VII. The game can be blazed through with minimum grinding once you figure out the resistances and weaknesses, while the optional bosses are TOUGH. While it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game one bit, a little more challenge would have been welcome. A Hard Mode, for example, would have been perfect, and it would have made me use the shops, because except for grinding Digimon I wanted, I never bought anything.
+ With that said, it was a safe approach, and I don't blame them. At the very least, I could enjoy the story quietly.
= Gameplay is simple to figure out. While it avoided battles being tedious, there was a lack of some gimmicks that could have made the game more enjoyable.

Overall, I loved the game, and it's probably the game I enjoyed the most since the beginning of this year. I am kinda hard to please when it comes to RPGs, and this one certainly didn't disappoint me. I want more of it, it is totally the kind of atmosphere I'm searching for.

Here is a gallery of screenshots, for those who are interested. Although, be warned, IT CONTAINS HEAVY SPOILERS!

--------------------------------------

On a side note, does anybody know if the complete OST is available somewhere?

Wow, as I'm writing this,
Imperialdramon PM
destroyed me.

EDIT : Oh, you had to
actually survive his final onslaught
. I barely did, but I did nonetheless.

Since people are starting to finish up, I want to see how others felt about the story. I like how it plays off the "classic Digimon" stuff, but adds a little twist to it. Unlike the other Digimon Story games I've played, this one actually feels like it could have been an anime season.

The ending
has that bittersweet feel that a lot of Digimon seasons end on, with almost everyone forgetting and being separated from the Digital World. It was a good idea to make Alphamon as close to MC as she was, because despite the fact I had a ton of Digimon partners, Alphamon felt like the "real" partner and that made the ending sadder.

It helps that the transformer Alphamon scene was so bad ass. This game completely sold me on Alphamon really.

Completely unrelated but I love this picture.
(Spoilers for Chapter 16)

Wow, as I'm writing this,
Imperialdramon PM
destroyed me.

EDIT : Oh, you had to
actually survive his final onslaught
. I barely did, but I did nonetheless.

My Craniummon and Jesmon completely owned that fight with their guard moves (forgot what they were called).
Watching Imperialdramon PM obliterate the rest of my team as they took 0 damage was amazing.

apricot

Finally got my copy in the mail, and will hopefully start it soon!

[*]Playing as a girl makes the story strangely more “girl powery”. I can only imagine the harem that awaits male MC, lol.

I'm really intrigued by this comment, lol. I was actually going to play as male MC because I like his design better, but could you expand on what you mean by this? I may try female MC instead.

Finally got my copy in the mail, and will hopefully start it soon!

I'm really intrigued by this comment, lol. I was actually going to play as male MC because I like his design better, but could you expand on what you mean by this? I may try female MC instead.

A lot of the plot is moved forward by female characters. A lot of side characters are female characters. Just a lot of human female characters really. Thinking off the top of my head and excluding MC, there are about 4 male characters and 8 female characters tied to the main story.

You could say this is for waifu purposes, but eh, I found it interesting as a Digimon fan who is used to one or two girl characters whose character consists of "girl".

It's far from girl power-y. Not even a single dialogue goes in that direction.

The game is written for a male MC, but you can see they put effort to make it work for both. There are probably only two or three scenes that heavily points to it being for a male, with one of them "could kinda also work for female MC" if you push hard enough but I think it doesn't fit (and IMO they shouldn't have included it). Either ways, female MC is definite the best course to go because (late game story spoilers)
Yuuko would be lesbian then. And the world needs more yuri in this yaoi-filled world.

(small edit: they seem to have made different dialogues on some scene, but not all. just my imagination lol)

Some "post-game" stuff (no. 7 to be specific):
That moment when you think the challenges were getting easier, and then you see defeating Dukemon give power to Alphamon and Omegamon. Then you decide to leave Omegamon for last, coz he is the Last Knight, and that even with the aforementioned power up, they were still pretty weak compared to earlier challenges. And he stood true to his name, The Last Knight buff + GreySword = 8k to 30k damage to whole team. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. T__T

P.S. Spamming buffs make the effect stack up. Max is 200% stat. Ironically, I only got solid confirmation on this when doing the very first challenge (post game)
Ulforce Veedramon Speed Charge'd himself to hell and back, and my main team being low-ish level overwhelmed my Speed. He went from 3 turns to 9 turns.
I thought bosses were just using a stronger version of the buffs. lol

P.P.S. There are many Digimons with slightly different 必殺技 animations when used by the player.
Guest characters are not considered as used by player BTW.
Usually, the non-player versions are "cut off", has less effects, and/or with different angle/camera work. Biggest example would be Rosemon's Thornwhip.

Yasumi

Banned
I remember reading something pre-release about there being points where you have to wear a disguise to discreetly collect info while investigating. How much actual sleuthing is in the game, and how deep does it go?

I remember reading something pre-release about there being points where you have to wear a disguise to discreetly collect info while investigating. How much actual sleuthing is in the game, and how deep does it go?

If you're thinking there's some complex system about it, get that out of your head.

Yasumi

Banned
If you're thinking there's some complex system about it, get that out of your head.

Of course not, I just mean like, are the mysteries actually interesting, and do the disguises act as costumes/model changes. That's pretty much all I'd want from it.

My God the game looks fucking good especially the digimon 3D model. I wanna pick it up during my Japan Trip but I know nothing about japanese :<

It's far from girl power-y. Not even a single dialogue goes in that direction.

The game is written for a male MC, but you can see they put effort to make it work for both. There are probably only two or three scenes that heavily points to it being for a male, with one of them "could kinda also work for female MC" if you push hard enough but I think it doesn't fit (and IMO they shouldn't have included it). Either ways, female MC is definite the best course to go because (late game story spoilers)
Yuuko would be lesbian then. And the world needs more yuri in this yaoi-filled world.

I'm less referring to "girl powery" dialogue and more referring to the fact that a lot of the important cast is female. Having a girl main makes it even more noticeable. Heck, when (late game spoilers)
Arata goes "evil", the only characters doing anything are Yuuko, Nokia, Kyoko, and MC. It balances out when Arata is good again and Yuugo comes back.

But yeah, there isn't any real big difference between them. I just found it interesting when I was playing, that's all.

Then this isn't true?

There are a few parts where you "disguise" yourself, so to speak, but there are no costumes that I remember.

I'm less referring to "girl powery" dialogue and more referring to the fact that a lot of the important cast is female. Having a girl main makes it even more noticeable.

But yeah, there isn't any real big difference between them. I just found it interesting when I was playing, that's all.

Pardon me then, but I see the term girl power as a marketing term (which is when I see it most used) and a rather bad/sexist one at that.
(Not going to discuss further in this thread.)
I don't see a problem with major cast being female. I don't think it's uncommon for it to stand out, at least.

Pardon me then, but I see the term girl power as a marketing term (which is when I see it most used) and a rather bad/sexist one at that.
(Not going to discuss further in this thread.)
I don't see a problem with major cast being female. I don't think it's uncommon for it to stand out, at least.

It's uncommon in Digimon, which I was mainly getting at. Barring a few exceptions, girl characters tend to be sparse and not very fleshed out. It was a nice change of pace for this game.

LOL.

It's actually possible to have 4x Xros Link. The fourth one will show up in the center with No Signal on other sides after the first batch.

I guess 5x Xros Link is also possible.

Also, Xros Link is a weird mechanic IMO. Sometimes, it's there, sometimes it's not. And using Chain Plus/Max does not guarantee getting more bars

It's still an awesome buff in that it does improve everything (if not almost all).
Chaos Degrade
did more than the usual 25% current HP damage but less than 50%. With three Xros Link, it did a bit less than 50% HP (40~45%).

Then this isn't true?

That moment when they used a scan on the internet, and the scan has goddamn furigana but they still translated it wrong.

&#20381;&#38972; =/= &#34915;&#35013;

Aren't Gematsu guys full-time professionals?

I like them since they at least directly acknowledge their sources. Others pretend they have access to the magazines when they don't. >__>

Sealtest

Finally finished the game thankfully someone put up a guide for people who can't speak japanese.

Is there no real post-game besides the royal knights and colliseum? I'm only level 18 CSP and I can't find a way to get it up anymore. I'm playing on my NA account so maybe because I don't have the DLC is why I can't hit level 20.

Edit - After spending an hour looking people are saying level 20 isn't even possible without the DLC quests.

stryke

They better not be fucking with us

DJKP1rG.png

They better not be fucking with us

DJKP1rG.png

There's no way this game won't get localised, people in the West haven't shut the fuck up about it ever since it was announced. Not to mention it's a permanent fixture on the BuildingTheList twitter page. It's just a matter of time folks.

"One of the most requested"...
"We heard you loud and clear"...
"Our Friends at Bandai Namco"...
"Digimon Cyber Sleuths".

Currently right now, this is my biggest WANT from E3.

I think that right now is at 39.99€

Question to all: How similar is this game to Pokemon?

Does it have the same "Gotta catch em all" fever?

Well its definitely easier to catch em all in this, I never had catch em all fever with pokemon though, I only catch and evolve what looks cool. It's also turn based, watch a game play video, it was a vita game with a limited budget(since digimon wasn't hugely popular at the time). It's still incredibly fun though.
This is the topic for the Japanese version BTW, western version is here:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1178277&page=100000

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I renamed my guy and now am the only human being in this world with a non-Japanese name. I regret doing so.

I stopped after
I couldn't beat Lucemon(either form) even on normal mode
. :(

The game as a whole is great, though. It's pretty superficial during the first couple of chapters, but like others have said, it really picks up after chapter 10 or so. Some of the side missions are pretty nice, with one being very creepy(to me).

Top Bottom