• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Teknoman

I've tried to play Ristar a couple of times...it never seems to grab me.

;)

That joke was kind of a stretch.

SNL_1572_10_Update_Feature_Aunt_Linda.png

What is the best Mega Drive/Genesis emulator at the moment for Windows 8? I tried some a couple of years ago and got a lot of crashes with the programs.

So uh, Dragon's Revenge is something. I've been putting it off because i didn't wanna see something tarnish the Devil's Crush legacy, but man, that game is like Devil's Crush on acid, but not in the fun way.

Awakened

Is Fusion regarded better than GenPlus_GX then? Just wondered why Retroarch has picodrive & GenPlus_GX only and no Fusion?
I think people stick with Fusion because it's easier to use and has the more known name. Genesis, Sega CD, Master System and Game Gear emulation in GPGX are all on par with Fusion from my limited testing. The author notes 100% software compatibility with those systems on the project's site. And if you do find an issue you can open a bug report there and it will most likely be fixed since it's still actively developed.

Fusion's 32X emulation is still the best available. I think Picodrive can play the system's full library, but there are some visual glitches in Chaotix. Steve Snake never released the source for Fusion, so that's the main reason there's no Libretro core. I don't think he's around the emu scene anymore; Fusion hasn't been updated since 2010.

Tain

Actually, revisiting Fusion today I ran into some weird issues. Last time I used it I had a normal-ass monitor and Windows 7, but now in Windows 8 with my g-sync monitor fullscreen behaves weirdly (either it crashes or I get 30fps no matter what).

At this point I'd probably just use MESS/UME? I don't emulate MD that much anymore now that I have a good hardware setup for it.

Awakened

At this point I'd probably just use MESS/UME? I don't emulate MD that much anymore now that I have a good hardware setup for it.
I haven't tried it in awhile, but MESS is supposed to have great support for GEN/SMS/GG. 32X and SCD probably not so much. I haven't seen much about what emulators work best with GSync, so maybe MESS is better than RetroArch in that respect. But RA has black frame insertion and swap interval options that help with motion blur and smooth scrolling at 120hz, which I would think one or the other would work well with GSync. Best to experiment.

RiZ III

Recently got a slew of games I've always wanted or had and sold as a kid. Streets of Rage 1 never gets old, the music is one of the best I've heard in any game.

wUI4kKe.jpg

There was recently an MK event at Galloping Ghost where almost all of the original cast members were there so I ended up getting my copy of MK2 signed by them.
9gRTWhy.jpg

IrishNinja

that mad-signed MK2 is gorgeous

side note: Mzo helped me find a 32X that the Mega Everdrive supports, right? only..no one tells you, you can't play SMS games with said 32X hooked up.

...do you hear what i'm saying? even a tower of power + a trio won't save you. despite being Krzz's favorite, apparently at the moment there's no way to just play everything from one setup, which unless i'm happily mistaken is kind've shit

hodgy100

that mad-signed MK2 is gorgeous

side note: Mzo helped me find a 32X that the Mega Everdrive supports, right? only..no one tells you, you can't play SMS games with said 32X hooked up.

...do you hear what i'm saying? even a tower of power + a trio won't save you. despite being Krzz's favorite, apparently at the moment there's no way to just play everything from one setup, which unless i'm happily mistaken is kind've shit

youll never be able to play sms games through the 32x. i believe its a limitation of the 32x rather than the everdrive.

IrishNinja

ah, you're prolly right, it's just an unfortunate circumstance. i totally play more SMS than 32X so after a month or so, i see the genesis/sega-CD combo staying hooked up by default.

The other day I got Rocket Knight adventures!

Man I didn't remember this game being this hard, but anyway, it's still as awesome as I remember it.

The other day I got Rocket Knight adventures!

Man I didn't remember this game being this hard, but anyway, it's still as awesome as I remember it.
I remember my first roadblock being the fish boss on stage 3 or so. Once you get the rhythm of jumps it's easy though. From then on it's pretty smooth sailing until the boss gauntlet. Challenging but doable.

Only real issue is there's no way to practice the end of game parts easily since they removed the level select from the North American release. Try not to die early and collect all the 1ups so you have plenty of lives and can learn the last few bosses well.

Hard-ish game but definitely beatable.

Fatnick

ah, you're prolly right, it's just an unfortunate circumstance. i totally play more SMS than 32X so after a month or so, i see the genesis/sega-CD combo staying hooked up by default.

If you get an MS & the master everdrive you'd could keep the 32x plugged in and have access to the SG library.

Timu

I remember my first roadblock being the fish boss on stage 3 or so. Once you get the rhythm of jumps it's easy though. From then on it's pretty smooth sailing until the boss gauntlet. Challenging but doable.

Only real issue is there's no way to practice the end of game parts easily since they removed the level select from the North American release. Try not to die early and collect all the 1ups so you have plenty of lives and can learn the last few bosses well.

Hard-ish game but definitely beatable.
Definitely when it comes to not dying on the hardest setting.

IrishNinja

If you get an MS & the master everdrive you'd could keep the 32x plugged in and have access to the SG library.

see even with an FM mod i didn't really wanna add yet another system to my setup (much less more everdrive $) but the bolded is pretty interesting for me

youll never be able to play sms games through the 32x. i believe its a limitation of the 32x rather than the everdrive.
This is why you get a real Master System, it's the best solution. Even if there wasn't that problem with the Genesis 2 not fitting the Power Base Converter, no way would I want to have to remove my 32X every time I wanted to play SMS games!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is why you get a real Master System, it's the best solution. Even if there wasn't that problem with the Genesis 2 not fitting the Power Base Converter, no way would I want to have to remove my 32X every time I wanted to play SMS games!

Never a substitute for playing on original hardware! Not even a BC system!

D.Lo

You can get the FM Powerbase converter, so you get FM on the Mega Drive.

Then you only lose SG1000 compatibility.

Even if you like 32X (what is wrong with you ;) ), Mark III/MS is definitely better than 32X if you absolutely have to sacrifice one or the other!

BTW the Mega Drive literally becomes a MS in BC mode, so it technically IS original hardware.

I think it's also possible to install the FM board outright into a Genesis if you really want to. Quite a bit more soldering than doing it to a Master System or getting the FM PB converter though.

IrishNinja

Never a substitute for playing on original hardware! Not even a BC system!

guys...you're preachin to the choir. i grew up with an SMS & love it, but 3 and a half power strips + 12 RGB cables or so in...i take shortcuts where i can, you know? i gotta put our setup on that thread soon

You can get the FM Powerbase converter, so you get FM on the Mega Drive.

Then you only lose SG1000 compatibility.

Even if you like 32X (what is wrong with you ;) ), Mark III/MS is definitely better than 32X if you absolutely have to sacrifice one or the other!

BTW the Mega Drive literally becomes a MS in BC mode, so it technically IS original hardware.

hmmm...id have to rearrage a bit to make the tower of power fit, but this might work!

I think it's also possible to install the FM board outright into a Genesis if you really want to. Quite a bit more soldering than doing it to a Master System or getting the FM PB converter though.

damn, didn't even know this was an option

guys...you're preachin to the choir. i grew up with an SMS & love it, but 3 and a half power strips + 12 RGB cables or so in...i take shortcuts where i can, you know? i gotta put our setup on that thread soon

Well I know one system you can toss right into the trash to save some space/fix your SMS problem. :3

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Tried my hand at Castle of Illusion these past few weeks - first time, I made it to stage 5-1 (the castle dungeon) and the second time, I made it to the final boss, Mizrabel. Who is a total ripoff of Dracula from Simon's Quest :p Hopefully next time I will be able to beat the game.

I like the game, got some nice graphics for the time, and some decent level design. My biggest complaint is the dolphins in the milk jug level :p Looking forward to trying World of Illusion as well.

Also, finally got ahold of Thunder Force 3. It's the only game from 2-5 that I was missing (btw, what system was TF1 for? One of the early JP computers?) First level seems easy but then the difficulty ramped up FAST. Really impressive for a game from 1990 - bright, vivid graphics, nice music, and fast action.

Speaking of which, anyone else find the pre-Sonic Genesis days interesting? Lots of more obscure titles that I rarely ever hear much for that period...

graffix13

So I am working on building up my Genesis cart collection. I just bought Streets of Rage 2 (I never played it....I know, I know) but other than that, what are the Top 5 Genesis "must have" games?

Rydeen

So I am working on building up my Genesis cart collection. I just bought Streets of Rage 2 (I never played it....I know, I know) but other than that, what are the Top 5 Genesis "must have" games?
There's the obvious ones like the Sonic games, but just those would account for four titles if you count Sonic & Knuckles. Do you want what is considered the best of the best of Genesis games or do you want people's personal top 5? Because if it's the latter it'll get interesting. Here's my personal Top 5 on the Genny:

1. Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master
2. Strider
3. Ristar
4. Gunstar Heroes
5. Vectorman

It's impossible to post a top 5 must haves. You need to up it to 10.

1.Gunstar Heroes
2.Shinobi 3
3.Rocket Knight Adventures
4.Streets of Rage 2
5.Musha
6.Mega Turrican
7.Comix Zone
8.Castlevania Bloodlines
9.Sonic 3 w/Knuckles
10.Phantasy Star 4

Soltype

It's hard to pick just 5, but I'd go with these.

Contra Hard Corps
Shinobi 3
Phantasy Star IV
Thunder Force IV
Sonic 3

RiZ III

Xmen 2 Clone Wars, Streets of Rage 1, Sunset Riders, Shining Force 1&2

graffix13

Do you want what is considered the best of the best of Genesis games or do you want people's personal top 5?

Yeah just the consensus great games. Still some subjectivity I am sure but not as much as if it was personal.

Also, nice list. I always hear great things about Gunstar Heroes.

Mzo

Konami took a while to warm up to Genny and then fucking exploded:

Tiny Toons: Buster's Hidden Treasure
Rocket Knight Adventure
Contra: Hard Corps
Castlevania: Bloodlines
TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist

All well worth owning.

Do you like shmups? The Genesis bends the SNES over and goes to town when it comes to shmups.

Top Bottom