• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

You have to open the fitness app, then select workout type. I think all selecting the workout type does is gives you options for type of workout. So if you select outdoor run or bike it gives you distance as an option, otherwise just calories, time, or "open" (just runs non-stop and gathers data)

Oh and the fitness app only runs on the watch, so at the same time you can have whatever app you want/need running on your phone.
I might go for a run with my phone today to better calibrate my pace/stride/speed. So I only need to run the workout app on the watch, and the phone can just sleep normally?

Ambient80

Battery life is way better than any of the reviews would have led me to believe. I texted a LOT yesterday, looked at Twitter, checked notifications and just the time countless times, got ESPN updates, etc all day, took off charger around 9am and went to bed at 10:30 with 51% battery. Did reviewers have unoptimized software or something?

TKR92

I've already got a tiny scratches on the glass (SG Sport).
Of course, you don't easily spot those in most of usage.

Anyways, if you are obsessed with scratches on the screen, you better buy the SS watch.

mcfrank

Now that it's out, what Sport aluminum matches the iPhone 6 aluminum? The light or the dark one? Or neither?

I believe that the sport matches a silver iPhone and the space grey matches a space grey iPhone, but I have not held them all side by side.

Majine

Banned
I believe that the sport matches a silver iPhone and the space grey matches a space grey iPhone, but I have not held them all side by side.

Based on the PR shots, the lighter one looks close to space grey iPhone, and the darker one is... well darker.

house

Ladies and gentlemen, my boss.
t5yXt9j.jpg

(Dropped it while opening the box)

I have found two more images like that on reddit:

PeNez5p.jpg

Link
Apparently, while pulling his hand out of his pocket, the band rubbed against his belt and opened, causing the watch to fall on the floor.

kNOespO.jpg

Link
This guy is not certain how it happened, in thinks he must have bumped the watch against a door frame.

These are probably just isolated cases of unlucky individuals, but try to take care of your apple watch sports.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
How much would you guess the black link bracelet would resell for on its own?
Thinking about selling it if I went for that model and I don't like it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just find it difficult to understand how the glass could shatter that badly from a drop. The watch is so much lighter than a phone.

ayeorkean

I just find it difficult to understand how the glass could shatter that badly from a drop. The watch is so much lighter than a phone.

Compressed glass only needs a small fracture to release its tension. The weak spot seems to be the screen's rounded corner.

You have to open the fitness app, then select workout type. I think all selecting the workout type does is gives you options for type of workout. So if you select outdoor run or bike it gives you distance as an option, otherwise just calories, time, or "open" (just runs non-stop and gathers data)

Oh and the fitness app only runs on the watch, so at the same time you can have whatever app you want/need running on your phone.

What about keeping track of miles walked, step, calories burned... Is that all part of the fitness app that needs to be running? I thought this was always keeping track of this stuff basic stuff

Is there anything about force pressing that couldn't have been done with a long press? It seems like it just holds options that don't fit in the main UI, and a long press would seem to make sense for that. Why teach people a new interaction for something that is already familiar to people?

Honestly I think it's there just because it's cool. The way the UI actually looks like your pushing it into your watch is really neat and I don't think the UI would be any less confusing if it required long presses instead of force presses as that wouldn't solve the actual problem of not knowing what's going to happen once you press down.

subrock

Battery life is way better than any of the reviews would have led me to believe. I texted a LOT yesterday, looked at Twitter, checked notifications and just the time countless times, got ESPN updates, etc all day, took off charger around 9am and went to bed at 10:30 with 51% battery. Did reviewers have unoptimized software or something?
Keep in mind that members off the press probably have a lot more Twitter/email/text/Instagram/Facebook action happening at all times. They were also probably poking at it way more and using apps heavily as they were putting it through its paces.

Keep in mind that members off the press probably have a lot more Twitter/email/text/Instagram/Facebook action happening at all times. They were also probably poking at it way more and using apps heavily as they were putting it through its paces.

Right, they're getting hundreds of updates a day on everything you mentioned, not something the average gets

Juice

I had a ton of BT drops yesterday so I'm currently at the Genius Bar (they LOL'd that this is their first watch appointment)

Anyway, turns out there is no service for Watch in store yet. All Watches are being shipped out on a 5-7 day return. No in store swaps yet either.

Since there's no service they can do on the watch they swapped my phone first to see if the BT would work. Currently restoring watch. Hopefully works.

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
This is great, but i guess you need to do a few runs with the phone to "calibrate" it to your steps / meter ratio and then it'll track well as long as you keep a somewhat stable pace.

Still, very impressed.

How do you even do that? Just take the phone with on your runs or do you need a setting / app to calibrate it?

border

My battery life report from Day 1:

42mm Space Grey Sport
10:30 AM - left house at 100%
2AM - went to bed at 18%

For about 6 hours I used the GPS navigation very heavily when running deliveries for work, so I'm pretty impressed that it lasted all day even with the constant data flow that's required for turn-by-turn navigation. I also really liked how the haptic feedback works when driving, though I feel like it ought to warn you just a little earlier when a turn coming up. It definitely feels safer than glancing down at a GPS or phone screen though.

Theonik

How do you even do that? Just take the phone with on your runs or do you need a setting / app to calibrate it?
Probably does it as it collects data from you using it. So ideally you always take your phone.
Also, variance from estimated values is going to vary a lot depending on the type of exercise and run I imagine.

I also really liked how the haptic feedback works when driving, though I feel like it ought to warn you just a little earlier when a turn coming up.

That's not surprising. I have a feeling the Watch directions and taptic feedback are optimized for walking and biking, where you don't need to be notified of a turn as early. I imagine Apple expects people to use an iPhone or CarPlay while driving.

Speaking of driving, my car stereo has an aux-in (but not BT), so I use my iPhone as a navigation device with Siri coming out the car speakers. However, I have no way of changing music unless I look at my phone and manually switch to the Music app. I've gotten good at tapping in the right areas without taking my eyes off the road, but still it's not optimal. With the Watch's Remote app, I can now change or pause the music on my phone just by tapping my wrist. Doesn't interrupt the Maps navigation at all. Granted, it's a bit awkward to do this while driving, and may go back to blind-tapping my phone, but it's nice to have the option.

yogloo

Is there anything about force pressing that couldn't have been done with a long press? It seems like it just holds options that don't fit in the main UI, and a long press would seem to make sense for that. Why teach people a new interaction for something that is already familiar to people?
Force press is actually a better ui design compared to long press. Anything that makes your user wait is actually interrupting your design flow.

My biggest annoyance so far are with glances. Some of my 3rd party ones just don't refresh. ESPN and Weather Underground seem to be the biggest offenders so far and with both of those it's pretty important to have up to date info. I wish there was a way to force a refresh.

Top Bottom