• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Fitness any good?

Hi, I have decided to get my ass is shape and wanted to try this XB1 fitness. I completed the Mossa Fight workout the other day and it was probably a bit too advanced for me to begin with to be honest, I did alright on it but was absolutely in bits by the end and very sore the next day.

So can anyone recommend any other free programs on it? I don't really want to pay for any at the minute until I know I can get on with it. It seems like there are only a few to choose from and most of them are only 10 minute things, do you just combine 3-4 of the 10 minute workouts to make up the time or are you supposed to just do 10 minutes as that seems like it's not really long enough, I would have thought 30 mins would be needed at least at a minimum but I am pretty clueless at this fitness stuff so probably completely wrong.

Prior to 2015 there was a large variety of free workouts. Anywhere from 10-60 minutes of different types of routines. With the January 2015 update, they drastically reduced the workout selection so it's a bunch of 10 minute routines and then Mossa (which is the only program on there that I think is any good). It kinda sucks now, unless you want to pay for some of the better routines.

Mossa does work well, but I find most of the 10 minutes ones OK. I have combined several in the past for one workout session, and that works ok. Once the 2015 update hit, I started doing most of my workouts on youtube (xbox app), where there's a surprising variety of free content - it doesn't track your progress, but it's free and has good variety. I do still do 1 or 2 mossa routines a week though.

I lost ~25 pounds doing just Xbox Fitness. Started mixing and matching 10-minute routines, and now I do Insanity. The scoring and gamification of working out really made a huge difference for me.

Just finished the Mossa Grove one and that was a lot easier than Mossa Fight but I suck at dancing, I have zero rhythm so I feel kind of janky doing it trying to keep up with their moves. Might give Fight another go tomorrow.

Daigoro

xbox fitness is good! i finally got back to it after a few months off of being a lazy ass and im glad i did.

Mossa is great. it can definitely kick your ass though.just take it at your own pace until you can do it all full strength.

there is also one called something like Athlete fit that ive been doing recently that i like a lot. that has me sweating and panting like crazy

the PX90 is on sale this week for $40. on the fence about it, but im tempted.

Swhalen

I'm pretty out of shape, just got an Xbox one. My girlfriend had me try a 30 minute program a few days ago. I'm still kinda sore from it but I'm going to find another one and keep at it.

mrg6290

Athlete Fit is free and a solid workout.

P90X is also on sale this week. I just picked that up in hopes that I focus and follow the program.

Overall I am hugely impressed with Xbox Fitness. Once I start, it keeps me going w/ the Kinect tracking and gamification (age group challenges, star rating, etc). I just need to force myself to use it every day.

Swhalen

Athlete Fit is free and a solid workout.

P90X is also on sale this week. I just picked that up in hopes that I focus and follow the program.

Overall I am hugely impressed with Xbox Fitness. Once I start, it keeps me going w/ the Kinect tracking and gamification (age group challenges, star rating, etc). I just need to force myself to use it every day.
Do you need any equipment for p90x?

Alx

I don't know if it is still free, but when I began I started with the Jillian Michaels kickboxing programs (because punching and kicking is fun :)), they're short and not too hard.
Then I moved up to Mossa, and then P90X.

The Gatorade trainings are also short and easy, as far as I remember.

I enjoy Xbox fitness and have done a few of the free workouts.
My suggestion is to browse them all and try all of them.
It's important not to judge a workout by how "hard" it is. P90x and similar programs work because you push yourself to a certain percentage of your current capacity. Some are inherently more difficult, yet if you don't push yourself you'll get less results than an easier routine.
My advice would be to set quantifiable goals, such as 30 mins, 3 times a week...or even use achievements and gamer score.
If you meet those goals for, say, 3 months,, reward yourself by buying some more videos. By then you'll know which you like best. $40-60 for your health is a great return on investment if you do the videos.

zoobzone

I tried it for few times when I first got the Xbox, it's meh, still prefer doing real workouts.

It's good to get motivated if you have enough friends doing it for the beat your friend's score thing.

I'm pretty out of shape, just got an Xbox one. My girlfriend had me try a 30 minute program a few days ago. I'm still kinda sore from it but I'm going to find another one and keep at it.

Hi, I have decided to get my ass is shape and wanted to try this XB1 fitness. I completed the Mossa Fight workout the other day and it was probably a bit too advanced for me to begin with to be honest, I did alright on it but was absolutely in bits by the end and very sore the next day.

So can anyone recommend any other free programs on it? I don't really want to pay for any at the minute until I know I can get on with it. It seems like there are only a few to choose from and most of them are only 10 minute things, do you just combine 3-4 of the 10 minute workouts to make up the time or are you supposed to just do 10 minutes as that seems like it's not really long enough, I would have thought 30 mins would be needed at least at a minimum but I am pretty clueless at this fitness stuff so probably completely wrong.

I keep seeing this theme of its good but it made me sore. Guys and gals, that means its working. You should feel like you had a workout. Stick with it!

My advice to beginners is to start with all the free 10-minute workouts (there's about 30 of them) and just gradually stack as many as you can handle in a row. Start out with 2 in a row and work your way up to 4 or 5 in a row. Once you can handle 4 or 5 of the 10-minute workouts in a row then move onto the longer 30-minute workout routines. The Mossa stuff is all free and very good. Then start stacking the 30-minute Mossa stuff doing 2 in a row. You can also try the Tony Horton (P90X) stuff which is also about medium level of difficulty. When you reach psycho level of fitness then you can start looking into Insanity. Don't go anywhere near Insanity until you are very well conditioned. During last summer I got to try all of the free workouts on Xbox Fitness which at the time was somewhere in the 60 video range.

I personally hate aerobic cardio exercise (there is nothing more boring to me than jogging) and by making it an interactive game with achievements, performance tracking and friend comparisons I was able to stay motivated and do my cardio exercise on a regular basis. Too bad a lot of the good stuff is no longer free; I would be willing to subscribe for access like Netflix/Xbox Music pass if that was an option.

Alx

Small bump : I'm looking for opponents to add to my list, I realized that trying to catch up on someone's score was good motivation. After I "lost" some of my fitness points earlier this year, I had several people on my friends list to overtake, but suddenly my lost points are back and I'm far ahead, with no opponent to beat. :(
I'm currently close to 10 million FP, if you're in the same area or further and looking for a challenge, I'm game. ^_^

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I used the ripped in 30 routine and loved it. Bought it for 7.99 in end. I lost 3 stone 16 and a half to 13 and a half in 3 months. I also changed how I ate but I did 30 minutes every day. I tried so many ways to lose and I don't know if it was just the right time but It worked for me. Good luck and work hard! Need to get back on for a tune up lol

PaulLFC

I need to take a better look at this and the prices / contents of the workouts offered.

I saw one on sale as part of the weekly deals a couple of weeks ago - "on sale" it was ~£30-£40 or something like that. I assume it must have been a bundle, because that seems far too expensive for a single workout that isn't even full price.

Can anyone recommend a decent beginner workout that's either free or doesn't cost silly money? Initial aim is to lose weight first and then if/when that happens (depends on motivation!) focus on building muscle afterwards.

GravyButt

I prefer my own weightlifting/cardio but after my injury I can't do it. Started doing some of these a little and im tolerating it ok. Maybe itll be a stepping stone.

tomhan

I really wanted it to be good when it first came out but I just couldn't get into it. Instead I use netflix / amazon video for yoga and lift free weights on my own. I actually haven't even checked it in a while though, I'd definitely give it a go again if they have any good yoga videos on it now.

Swass

I used it at launch but quit using it shortly after so I don't know if these issues have been resolved, but here is why I quit using it:

Far too often Kinect loses you so it isn't accurate for keeping rep count, a good example of this is in P90X Plyo, doing anything that moves you laterally messes it up like tires or lunges etc

And the biggest problem and reason I quit using it is if you are in the middle of a workout and you get disconnected from xbox live it throws you out of your workout and all progress up to that point is lost. This was the absolute deal breaker as I lost 3 workouts in 1 week. I would however be curious to know if this has been fixed.

Last thing is if you don't use the free workouts the programs are pretty pricy especially when you can find legit copies of beachbody workouts on craigslist for cheaper than the xbox versions and they are far more complete.

Alx

And the biggest problem and reason I quit using it is if you are in the middle of a workout and you get disconnected from xbox live it throws you out of your workout and all progress up to that point is lost. This was the absolute deal breaker as I lost 3 workouts in 1 week. I would however be curious to know if this has been fixed.

Yes that was very annoying a few months ago... things are much better now, but from time to time you can have a session buffering too often, or still get a "server unreachable" message. I usually switch to another program or postpone my session when it happens, but it's not so frequent any more.

Can anyone recommend a decent beginner workout that's either free or doesn't cost silly money? Initial aim is to lose weight first and then if/when that happens (depends on motivation!) focus on building muscle afterwards.

Start with the 10/20 minutes free program, until you're ready for Mossa, then P90X.
The shorter programs can be more or less easy though, I noticed that I can have a hard time with very simple moves, especially in female programs, even after I've made my way to harder routines (men and women are definitely not built the same way :p). The kickboxing programs are easy enough though, and quite fun.

It really does keep you honest about your form, kinda like a digital personal trainer. Honestly, I think it's the best kinect app on the platform. (Not saying much, I know.)

sinnergy

I used it at launch but quit using it shortly after so I don't know if these issues have been resolved, but here is why I quit using it:

Far too often Kinect loses you so it isn't accurate for keeping rep count, a good example of this is in P90X Plyo, doing anything that moves you laterally messes it up like tires or lunges etc

Last thing is if you don't use the free workouts the programs are pretty pricy especially when you can find legit copies of beachbody workouts on craigslist for cheaper than the xbox versions and they are far more complete.

Works great here, have p90X for xbox and did p90x before it was released on Xbox for years, no big problems here.. I manage to get 5 stars on most exercises, it can happen that it tracks a little worse sometimes but nothing to break your enjoyment, most of the time I have a better score than before.

As far as doing dvd worlouts, did those for years, and xbox fitness is far more motivational with achievements, stars and stickers and xbox correcting your form

Funny this thread should pop back up... I just made a pledge to myself this morning about starting to work out with Xbox Fitness again later today. Still need to lose about another 15 lbs to hit my goal weight. Hoping I can do this in a couple of months.

Bumping the latest Xbox Fitness thread I could find: Just downloaded this app, thought I'd give it a go, it just won't load. It freezes on the title screen and the animated loading circles just freeze. I've tried uinstalling and reinstalling the app, same problem. Anybody that has had the same problem?

Bumping the latest Xbox Fitness thread I could find: Just downloaded this app, thought I'd give it a go, it just won't load. It freezes on the title screen and the animated loading circles just freeze. I've tried uinstalling and reinstalling the app, same problem. Anybody that has had the same problem?

Huh, that's weird. I used it on Thursday and it worked fine. Are you using the console in standby mode by any chance?

If you are, try doing a full reboot and see if that helps. If you're not, I'm stumped. Maybe give CS a call and let them know there's a problem.

sinnergy

Just wait, can take a while,

Huh, that's weird. I used it on Thursday and it worked fine. Are you using the console in standby mode by any chance?

If you are, try doing a full reboot and see if that helps. If you're not, I'm stumped. Maybe give CS a call and let them know there's a problem.
It's not on standy mode no :/

Google searches of similar problems are just giving me old 2014 results too. Such a strange bug. I live in Tier 2 territory, and the voice part of Kinect is not supported for my language (Norwegian), maybe that's an issue?

nubbe

It's not on standy mode no :/

Google searches of similar problems are just giving me old 2014 results too. Such a strange bug. I live in Tier 2 territory, and the voice part of Kinect is not supported for my language (Norwegian), maybe that's an issue?

Not an Tier2 issue, I use P90X on my Swedish bone

But the app need a number of updates

Yes! Xbox Fitness is great, especially with Kinect tracking your heartreat and watching how you execute the exercises and then correcting you if need be.

Edit: also, Shape Up has a free demo.

mrg6290

Yup, it can take quite a while and appears frozen. I have done very limited testing but mine seems to load faster when I have a controller synced (instead of just using voice or my media remote).

Anyways, I usually just start it, walk away and give it a full 5 minutes to do whatever the hell it is doing. It could definitely use a few updates.

Alx

I don't have the loading issue, but I would gladly trade it for the one I have : after a few minutes into a session (around 15 I would say), the scoring part of the screen starts to stutter, while the video continues smoothly. As a consequence I get few points and stars even when the gauge is maxed. :/
The software is great, but also frustrating when such issues break it. The frequent buffering was annoying and I'm glad it's mostly gone, but that new problem is worse.

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll give it a go again today and leave it loading for a while! Maybe it's extra worse the first time you load it up!

Zenner

It takes a long while to start for me, too. It seems to load faster after a hard reboot, but still not what you'd call quick. Use that time to grab your weights, floor mat, get changed, fill water bottle, etc.

Edit: also, Shape Up has a free demo.

Shape Up is a tonne of loud, garish fun. None of the online challenges work, though - those have been broken since launch. If you can find the disc on sale for less than $40, it's a good buy. It also comes with a goofy jogging app (run away from the zombies!) for your smartphone, that supposedly syncs with your workout scores. But yeah, try the demo, for sure. :)

Good a place as any to ask: can anyone recommend some beginner routines that don't use much space? With my setup I've only got a foot or so of clearance behind me, and the Kinect can't see the floor. So when the basic kickboxing routine asked me to do a back kick, I was... pretty much SOL unless I was willing to risk slamming my foot into a coffee table :p

EBE

Good a place as any to ask: can anyone recommend some beginner routines that don't use much space? With my setup I've only got a foot or so of clearance behind me, and the Kinect can't see the floor. So when the basic kickboxing routine asked me to do a back kick, I was... pretty much SOL unless I was willing to risk slamming my foot into a coffee table :p

the mossa fight ones are good. as is the football trainer. forget the name.
i think you might have to pay for those now. for all of them, actually. shame it couldnt be kept free forever.

Alx

Mossa is still free for Gold I think, I never paid for it anyway and did a session last week. They do need some room though, since there are several sprawls and front/back kicks.
The sport ones are free too, since they're badly hidden advertising for Gatorade. :p The football ones should be easy to do in a small space, except maybe for the warm up/cool down which have a few ground moves.

Top Bottom