• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto on next Zelda for Wii: Link could not have the sword anymore! And much more.

I thought that every zelda was based in the idea that a hero arises when evil comes? Not trying to be funny, but I remember reading that somewhere. The Link in every game is a different person, thats why its always in completely nutty as far as actually time passage is concerned. Evil comes back, Link is resurrected....er, I guess reborn is a better world...reborn to confront that evil. Then again, I could have completely made that up from some lost chamber of my childhood :lol

I do remember that coming from somewhere though...

Linkified

Actually I would totally up for a futuristic Zelda which starts of in Ancient hyrule gets warped into the future lets say a few thousand years and Link has to adjust and take out Bionic Ganondorf. With masks which change your appearence and weapons you can use, heck I would play it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
SecretBonusPoint said:
Next Zelda will look to Ico / Prince of Persia as the previous one did Okami. Hell, Twilight had enough slight SOTC nods as well to indicate such.

What? They came out in the same year. Regardless the rest may be true, if this person is a companion I would hope she would be so in the way Navi and Midna were, and at the most like Elika was where she was an asset and not a hindrance that had to be protected all the time.

SkySonata said:
Armchair videogame designers.......telling Miyamoto how to do his job. :lol
Its easy as pie...just come up with an idea and clap your fucking hands, do two snaps and a circle, then watch it score a 10.

Azure J

abstract alien said:
Its easy as pie...just come up with an idea and clap your fucking hands, do two snaps and a circle, then watch it score a 10.

Needs more shaders. You forgot to click your heels. :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The game should start with Link in Hyrule, and - right after he gets the first three items he has to fetch - Ganondorf attacks the kingdom, bringing death and devastation.
Link is then thrown 1000 years in the future, and has to fight Ganon again before he wakes up and brings destruction once again, just like one millennium before.
He eventually falls in love with Princess Zelda (a maiden with royal blood able to summon light arrows), they even kiss in a lake and laugh awkwardly together, and (final plot twist) we find out
Link had died in the past, and the character you've been using in the second half of the game was just an illusion
Hardcore gamers and emo kids everywhere would love this MASTERPIECE and ORIGINAL story no game has ever told before!
I think I seriously need some sleep.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Insaniac said:
light sabers and the force confirmed.

Ganon creates an evil empire and lives on a small moon-like object
the_majoras_mask_moo.jpg

Jocchan said:
The game should start with Link in Hyrule, and - right after he gets the first three items he has to fetch - Ganondorf attacks the kingdom, bringing death and devastation.
Link is then thrown 1000 years in the future, and has to fight Ganon again before he wakes up and brings destruction once again, just like one millennium before.
He eventually falls in love with Princess Zelda (a maiden with royal blood able to summon light arrows), they even kiss in a lake and laugh awkwardly together, and (final plot twist) we find out
Link had died in the past, and the character you've been using in the second half of the game was just an illusion
Hardcore gamers and emo kids everywhere would love this MASTERPIECE and ORIGINAL story no game has ever told before!
I think I seriously need some sleep.
Will Link be taught swordplay by a grizzled former Hyrulean soldier wearing a red coat and sunglasses? Will his companions include a motley crew of warriors from all the races of Hyrule, including a male Gerudo with a hawaiian accent, a Twili magic user who shows a lot of cleavage, a Zora who has to overcome her companions' prejudices against her and a strong and silent Goron sworn to protect Zelda?

How about having Zelda be revealed to be half Zora? In another shocking twist, let's let Zelda become engaged to Zant halfway through the game, have Link and his friends kill him only to have his evil spirit live on as he tries to resurrect Ganon.

It'll be awesome!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
I think we do this with Mario and Zelda as well. When we are working on the plans for them, we are trying to come up with ways where we can satisfy our longtime fans and bring new players into the franchises as well. That's something we're always looking at. However, when I get involved in a title, I focus a lot on more experience and the more advanced gameplay elements. If I get into it, there's a tendency for difficulty levels to ramp up so that's something I really have to watch for myself to make sure that I don't do that.

Well, would you look at that. Imagine how much less difficult SMG would have been without Miyamoto.

Haters destroyed once and for all it seems.

Also, are there any other Miyamoto interviews? Didn't get too much time to be online this week.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
In news of the Zelda releasing this year, Nintendo seems to have confirmed that Spirit Tracks Link is not the Hero of Winds, but that the game takes place 100 years* after the events of Phantom Hourglass. If the games are somehow related, this could be interesting in terms of storyline.

Read this as an unspecified long amount of time. Aonuma once stated that the events of Wind Waker occurred "100 years" after the events of Ocarina of Time and that the events of Twilight Princess occurred around the same time in the parallel timeline. 100 years alone couldn't have been enough time for an entirely new language to have supplanted Ancient Hyrulean and for people to have forgotten what had happened to Ancient Hyrule.

Actually, I think the quote was "hundreds of years", not 100 years specifically.

Datschge

Joei said:
I'm surprised he said the game market is shrinking. (...) I think he's just flat out wrong.
I'm pretty sure he's not referring to the currently active gaming population, but the potential one. In Japan the young population is shrinking dramatically while the population as a whole gets older (the very reason why the DS and Wii targeted an expanded audience to begin with). And that's actually an issue nearly all developed countries (where the most money for gaming is done) face, the USA and France (any others?) being rather special exceptions.

EDIT: Why is nobody talking about the MH3 BLACK Wii megaton? Took Nintendo so long to offer a differently colored Wii...

neoism

Glad Miyamoto reallizes the next Zelda HAS to be as different as possible, I'm hoping for the best! I was disappointed in the last 2 Zelda's and I'm just getting tried of the same formula over and over! A Zelda game, like SOTC with a more serious nature would be soooo fucking awesome! God I hope!

neoism said:
Glad Miyamoto reallizes the next Zelda HAS to be as different as possible, I'm hoping for the best! I was disappointed in the last 2 Zelda's and I'm just getting tried of the same formula over and over! A Zelda game, like SOTC with a more serious nature would be soooo fucking awesome! God I hope!

So basically only bosses? Unless you're referring to the story of SOTC which wasn't really much more serious than any Zelda one..

Meesh

SecretBonusPoint said:
Next Zelda will look to Ico / Prince of Persia as the previous one did Okami. Hell, Twilight had enough slight SOTC nods as well to indicate such.
You're a bad, bad man.
Shigeru Miyamoto: Well, the story setting for this Zelda is, of course, in a completely different era and Link is older than he was previously. More approaching adulthood.There is one hint. Maybe from the art work you can see that he's not holding a sword.
As some may have mentioned, or not, The person in the blue cloak could be easily be the "Sage/Spirit of the Master sword". (Influenced a little by this or that, it doesn't matter, but I find gamers are more critical of Miyamoto and his games than any other designer.) All I care, is Link doesn't hang up his sword for a walking stick in his old age.(exaggeration) By the sounds of things, I suspect that by the climax of the game, Link will have trained a protege(his son?) with the aid of the Sword Spirit to carry on his name and power.

The father/son team could be pretty useful. Link Jr. could sneak into tight places, create diversions, eliminate smaller foes, and be the comedy relief. Link Senior would dispatch the big guys, do the heavy lifting, and train his son to ride Epona. Both would team up for some unusual boss fights, to complete puzzles, and have their own unique weapons while tracking down the missing shards of the Master Sword.

I've been hoping for a more adult Link for quite some time. Links age may also lead to some mature themed aspects that haven't really been touched upon before. I guess we'll see...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SecretBonusPoint said:

Yeah TP was SotC+Okami-ish.

Evilink said:
You're a bad, bad man.

As some may have mentioned, or not, The person in the blue cloak could be easily be the "Sage/Spirit of the Master sword". (Influenced a little by this or that, it doesn't matter, but I find gamers are more critical of Miyamoto and his games than any other designer.) All I care, is Link doesn't hang up his sword for a walking stick in his old age.(exaggeration) By the sounds of things, I suspect that by the climax of the game, Link will have trained a protege(his son?) with the aid of the Sword Spirit to carry on his name and power.

The father/son team could be pretty useful. Link Jr. could sneak into tight places, create diversions, eliminate smaller foes, and be the comedy relief. Link Senior would dispatch the big guys, do the heavy lifting, and train his son to ride Epona. Both would team up for some unusual boss fights, to complete puzzles, and have their own unique weapons while tracking down the missing shards of the Master Sword.

I've been hoping for a more adult Link for quite some time. Links age may also lead to some mature themed aspects that haven't really been touched upon before. I guess we'll see...

Oh yes, you could feed him, and carry him on your back, and when you swim he would hold on to you too. If you get wounded, the kid can take care of your wounds like pull arrows out!

And Link should have horns!:p

Evilink said:
You're a bad, bad man.

Uhh...I don't know how I feel about the father son thing...Link is always thrust into the position of hero, he doesn't chose to be one but accepts it. I don't see him training his son to face against dangers and stuff...also, the hero always has a piece of the triforce so I can't see 2 Link's being around at once...

Anyway, I see this Link as being more of a brawler than previous ones...I mean, if he's without a sword for a certain amount of time his only means of fighting would be with other weapons or with his own body and I'm going with the latter. Being nearly an adult would make sense too because they're generally seen as more physically able to fight with their bodies than children

Evilink said:

I don't know how you did it, but you somehow made Wife-Kids-and-a-Mortgage Link into a workable game concept. Now do Horndog-having-a-Midlife-Crisis Link and Crotchety-Racist-Old-Man Link!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Forkball said:
Sorry, but Link has to have a sword. That's like making a Mario game where he can't jump.

Mario to have extendable bionic arm in next game.

LegendofJoe said:
Sweet! Nintendo is finally releasing a black Wii. I hope NOA decides to do the same promotion over here.

Like that one they showed a long time ago.

Will Link be taught swordplay by a grizzled former Hyrulean soldier wearing a red coat and sunglasses? Will his companions include a motley crew of warriors from all the races of Hyrule, including a male Gerudo with a hawaiian accent, a Twili magic user who shows a lot of cleavage, a Zora who has to overcome her companions' prejudices against her and a strong and silent Goron sworn to protect Zelda?

How about having Zelda be revealed to be half Zora? In another shocking twist, let's let Zelda become engaged to Zant halfway through the game, have Link and his friends kill him only to have his evil spirit live on as he tries to resurrect Ganon.

It'll be awesome!

Then an Organization of XIII Ganon clone babies
with grrrreat hair
will appear and begin to steal the heart containers of everyone and create many NPCs that look like the originals. Shortly after, Link and Zelda's NPCs will make out with the real Link and Zelda
with dark silhouettes masking who makes out with who
, while Ganon watches with his new psychic
tentacle
powers, then
Mario and Luigi
will appear to make customizable
karts
for Link to travel through worlds until he finds his long-forgotten, never-mentioned before hero. That hero
kills Zelda with the Master Master Sword
and Link
cries for the first time
and sets off to
make him pay!
Ganon sees this and fears he is becoming irrelevant in this new
steam punk setting
, and wishes he had teh POWrrR to kill those who cried for it in the outer world. Yes, he knows they exist and he will stop at nothing to get his revenge. He will destroy these accursed
Phan-bois and all their brown and gray crayons!

To be continued
through DLC

Gruco said:
Outside the box is how we got Majora's Mask.

Outside the box is to be encouraged.

I wouldn't mind Link being without a sword for an important portion of the game. Think about how the Master Sword is a Legendary Hero's sword, and how Link has to prove that he is worthy of the title before he gets to use that sword. Maybe this time the process will consist of something else than just completing three dungeons.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
abstract alien said:
I thought that every zelda was based in the idea that a hero arises when evil comes? Not trying to be funny, but I remember reading that somewhere. The Link in every game is a different person, thats why its always in completely nutty as far as actually time passage is concerned. Evil comes back, Link is resurrected....er, I guess reborn is a better world...reborn to confront that evil. Then again, I could have completely made that up from some lost chamber of my childhood :lol

I do remember that coming from somewhere though...
More or less. There have been plenty of sequels. Zelda 2, Majora's Mask, and Phantom Hourglass were all sequels and I'm sure a few more were too.

webrunner

If he's going to be swordless, why would he also have dropped the hint to look at the swordfighting in Wii Sports Resort and think of Zelda?

MotherFan

I don't know how you did it, but you somehow made Wife-Kids-and-a-Mortgage Link into a workable game concept. Now do Horndog-having-a-Midlife-Crisis Link and Crotchety-Racist-Old-Man Link!

Damn Gorons walking everywhere like they own the place. Back in my day......

Also, for the 1000 year in the future link, he finds out Zelda has to sacrifice herself to kill Gannon, but Gannon will come back in 10 years and a new princess has to undergo the same journey!

But, Link will try to stop it because this is HIS story.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
J-Rock said:
An energy sword comes out of Links hand. You heard it here first.
Link is a Psionic confirmed?

i dare anyone to admit they know what i'm referencing

anyway, i don't think someone mentioned it before, but the character in the picture was thought to look like the Queen of Faeries from Windwaker. someone who was there said that there was a resemblance (though unconfirmed as far as who it was).

either way, i concur with Black-Wind in the other thread (even though i proposed it first). Link looks as though to play protector in this game, likely for the girl in the picture. that Link is older means that he likely took it because he has nothing better, but is still strong and set enough in his ways to do his duty for better or worse.

xs_mini_neo said:
Like that one they showed a long time ago.

Then an Organization of XIII Ganon clone babies
with grrrreat hair
will appear and begin to steal the heart containers of everyone and create many NPCs that look like the originals. Shortly after, Link and Zelda's NPCs will make out with the real Link and Zelda
with dark silhouettes masking who makes out with who
, while Ganon watches with his new psychic
tentacle
powers, then
Mario and Luigi
will appear to make customizable
karts
for Link to travel through worlds until he finds his long-forgotten, never-mentioned before hero. That hero
kills Zelda with the Master Master Sword
and Link
cries for the first time
and sets off to
make him pay!
Ganon sees this and fears he is becoming irrelevant in this new
steam punk setting
, and wishes he had teh POWrrR to kill those who cried for it in the outer world. Yes, he knows they exist and he will stop at nothing to get his revenge. He will destroy these accursed
Phan-bois and all their brown and gray crayons!

To be continued
through DLC
Jocchan and I were just regurgitating the story of FFX with Zelda characters, but your idea sounds much more awesome!

MotherFan said:
Also, for the 1000 year in the future link, he finds out Zelda has to sacrifice herself to kill Gannon, but Gannon will come back in 10 years and a new princess has to undergo the same journey!

But, Link will try to stop it because this is HIS story.
Hehehe

I doubted Wind Waker when I saw the screens and video from Space World 2002. I will never make that mistake again. I trust Miyamoto with Zelda.

Link will kill Ganondorf, but then 15 years later it turns out
Ganondorf was only brain dead and has been revived through nanomachines
, and that
Zant was only faking being possessed by Majora
for purposes of fooling
The Mask Salesmen, an Illuminati group consisting of Error, the Old Man from Zelda 1, the Priest from LttP, and Link's uncle.
The actual
Mask Salesman
died way back in Majora's Mask, and is actually
an AI.
Also, Saria reveals that
she has cancer, and that sages can cure cancer, but she doesn't want to so she dies.

MotherFan

Well, we could have futuristic link in space. Link starts out as the XO of a new prototype ship. The ship is going to a peaceful colony when it is revealed to link that a piece of triforce is on this colony and he is being watched by a secret beyond the law special ops force for recruitment. The colony is attacked, and Gannondorf takes the Triforce piece with the help of ancient machines. Link then goes to the seat of the galactic government, led by the Goron, Zora and Kokiri and tries to convince them that Gannondorf is the enemy, but they do not listen. Link has to go and get proof, shows them that Gannon is behind it and then becomes special ops. He then searches across the galaxy for Gannon and the evil race behind him.

MoogPaul

I think it's crazy that people are asking for new IPs from Miyamoto. It's kind of like talking to God and asking, "Yeah, Earth is pretty cool and all, but where are the unicorns?"

bhytre said:
You've got to be kidding me. Where's your source?

EDIT: Can someone do a comparison between this pic and the confirmed blurry pic, please?

First thoughts: the girl looks a lot like the Queen of the Fairies from Wind Waker, but this could be a coincidence. Link definitely looks older in the face. Maybe early twenties rather than late teens.

Top Bottom