• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub PS+ Edition Has Been M.I.A. For 100 Days

mclem

Whats the chance the whole Drive Club PS+ Edition was just to get racing fans pre-ordering a PS4 instead of a XB1...

It's unlikely that that was a direct intention. But indirectly, I think as a component of an onslaught of good Sony press around that E3 to profit from opposition to the bad blood hanging around the Xbox One announcements, it would have had an influence. "4TheGamers", indeed; a free sampler of a high-end AAA title is emblematic of that notion!

However, if you're meaning to imply that they never intended to deliver on it, that I don't believe. This is foolishness, not malice.

Whats the chance the whole Drive Club PS+ Edition was just to get racing fans pre-ordering a PS4 instead of a XB1...

0 because microsoft had Forza 5, a real (and actually very good) racing sim on Day One and it was known very early, while Driveclub always was more simcade ala PGR.

So... yeah. 0%. Racing fans who wanted real racing went for Forza on XBO. Racing fans prefering GT might have picked up PS4 for DC and the upcoming GT but maybe most of the held the purchase.

Circinus

Unlikely

What really gets me is that it was never going to be anything more than an extended demo... You would still have to shell out more money to get the full game and season pass if you wanted that.

Meanwhile, there have been multiple opportunities to get the game and season pass for less than the price of an annual ps+ sub.

Yep, I agree. If people are looking forward to DRIVECLUB PS+ Edition, because the game appeals to them, isn't it likely that they'll like the full version and consider it worth their money? I think so, personally.

TWICE I have subscribed to PS+ to get this (once when it was announced at E3 2013, again a year later after the delay), and I still don't have it, just the same "information will follow soon" line they have recycled for hundreds of days now.

Just curious, assuming you subscribed for PS+ just for DRIVECLUB PS+ Edition and didn't care for any of the other PS+ perks. Was SCE willing the refund the PS+ subscription if you asked for a refund?

I am quite certainly mind-blowned by the revelation that customers asking for what has been promised by a developer/publisher is something that many seem to find aggravating/wrong.

Well like I've said, the developer/publisher is not in debt; they don't owe the potential consumers something unless people paid money for it in advance already especially if they refuse to refund the money.

This isn't the case here. We aren't talking about a commidity, but about an optional entertainment product that was F2P above all.

So it's an inconvenience, but I don't think there's a drama necessary to be made about it.

Every time the subject of "What happened to DriveClub PS+ Edition?" is brought up, someone always gives this excuse. "Well, they can't release it, because that would open the floodgates for bunch more new users, which would undoubtedly ruin the whole game for everyone else."

How come no one ever makes this excuse for any other major game from a major publisher? Games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Borderlands, Far Cry, Destiny...ahem, Need for Speed, Forza...they all hit the shelves, and such a collapse of the online component just never seems to be a concern for those games.

Sorry, but I really don't understand the comparison there. Could you clarify and elaborate? Thanks in advance.

Oh god there's that word again. How dare I feel entitled to something they promised.

Many people are curious but don't want to drop any money on it until they can try it. Many people just aren't going to buy when they were promised a free version. It's part curiosity and interest, and yes part principle. They didn't deliver what they promised and until they do people have every right to whine about it.

I think it's quite silly to make a melodrama about the delay of a bare-bones F2P version for which no money has been transactioned. Delays happen.

I mean, it really isn't much different than a publisher delaying a F2P game that's in development. The publisher "promised" a release date, but delayed the game and didn't deliver the game on that release date.

I think the word "promise" is also quite silly in this context. They are just targeting a release date for a commercial entertainment consumer good. It's how the free trade market works. It isn't about person-to-person loyalty or politics and making "promises" and delivering on that. You're a consumer, either the company offering the product that the company is advertising fullfills the advertised "promises" and you buy the product. Or the product doesn't fullfill the "promises", and you don't buy the product. And that's it.

This has gone on way too long without any transparency as far as what is really going on regarding the PS+ edition that was promised as a PS+ perk at the PS4 reveal, then delayed a year along with the launch.

No, it was announced at E3 2013, not at the PS4 reveal.

There's been enough transparency I think? I'm not sure what more you'd want, since technical details about the software engineering are irrelevant for 99,99% of the consumers and is something that understandable can be kept behind the scenes; not something that is owed.

Sheeesh, Amir0x take it easy, you of all people should know they have cleared the channel more than enough times to get the point around. Just look at Paul Rustchynsky replying to people everyday on his twitter saying PS+ Edition it is still coming. Their facebook updates that say they are continually improving servers to prepare for PS+ Edition, 3 Executives apologizing for DriveClub launch (Shu, Jim and Shaun). Paul coming here to Neogaf to clear the air too.

You posting those links when articles always take everything out of context from one another when stuff like that always happens for example the last guardian hiatus

If they made a promise they will stick to it, promises don't have expiration dates even if it takes 5 years and they deliver. Are you really gonna complain about it for the next half decade?

Exactly, I agree. :)

pezley

Banned
Technical limitations holding up Drive Club PS+ is a terrible excuse. Considering the game was planned originally as a PS+ how then does it technically become too hard to make it a PS+ title ? I bought it recently ( yet to play it ) but only because it was £10 second hand. The developers don't deserve any money for the shambles up until now.

Granted, this doesn't take away from how the game looks now, if it's as great as current owners say then good news but that doesn't take fix the empty promises and broken release. Sony's Masterchief collection.

Circinus

Technical limitations holding up Drive Club PS+ is a terrible excuse. Considering the game was planned originally as a PS+ how then does it technically become too hard to make it a PS+ title ?

It's related to the very high server traffic that the PS+ Edition would cause.

Agent X

Sorry, but I really don't understand the comparison there. Could you clarify and elaborate? Thanks in advance.

What I mean is that every time someone asks about the status of this game, and why it still isn't out more than six months later, someone leaps to the developer's defense and says that they should not release it, because doing so would bring about an increase in users, which in turn would swiftly send the game's servers tumbling down like a fragile house of cards. They then say that we need to give them more time to ensure that the game will be able to handle the load.

After a couple more weeks, someone raises the question again, and just like clockwork, someone once again defends the decision to not release the game. This cycle has continued for months now.

Using that flawed logic, the developers might never release the PS+ Edition, because they can never be certain that the game won't come crashing down again. The problem is that they will never know for certain, unless they actually do release the game.

My point is that numerous other online-enabled games are released each month, for which no one ever raises similar concerns. Look at the retail games that I named...some of those titles go on sale for $20 or $30 off, and that also causes an upswing in users. Does that bring down the servers for those games? No, it doesn't. They've even released many other online-enabled games on the PS+ Instant Game Collection, and those games are still running. Why is this game the only one that brings about these lame excuses?

DarkOneX

Such a shame if you've decided not to buy the game already, you're missing out on an amazing racing game.

I agree, and it's been $20 new at Gamestop for weeks that's a steal! If the free PSN+ version whiners wanted the game so bad they would have bought the full version anyway since the free one was going to be a glorified demo and $20 is a no brainer for this awesome game!

Does this thread only get bumped when there is negative MCC news. Maybe its me but I always see the two happening together.

Anyway, hopefully they are still working on this for the people who don't own the game already. Night and day compared to launch. Not sure how much of that filters back to the PS+ Edition. I'm also wondering what the impact of moving toward a service model with the game (think that's what I read in a thread here) will have on this edition as well.

I agree, and it's been $20 new at Gamestop for weeks that's a steal! If the free PSN+ version whiners wanted the game so bad they would have bought the full version anyway since the free one was going to be a glorified demo and $20 is a no brainer for this awesome game!

I have not found a single Gamestop (always "not available on-line") or Best Buy (to price-match) that has had this game in stock within 75 miles of me for at least the last 4-6 weeks or I would have bought it a while ago.

mclem

You think that the game has close to a 50% attachment rate?

It's an intriguing question to figure out where the upper limit actually is. All we really know is that the launch rush was definitely beyond the capabilities at the time. I would *hope* that subsequent improvements mean it could sustain a similar capacity to that launch rush now, at least, but how much beyond that?

Your statement suggests that it'd only be a problem if the sales matched the userbase of PS+, but we know it's somewhere between "PS+ audience" and "Launch audience". And yes, double the launch audience could indeed theoretically send it past the capacity.

Knowing the nature of the fixes they put in would give a little indication of how much increased capacity they actually have gained since launch.

What I mean is that every time someone asks about the status of this game, and why it still isn't out more than six months later, someone leaps to the developer's defense and says that they should not release it, because doing so would bring about an increase in users, which in turn would swiftly send the game's servers tumbling down like a fragile house of cards. They then say that we need to give them more time to ensure that the game will be able to handle the load.

After a couple more weeks, someone raises the question again, and just like clockwork, someone once again defends the decision to not release the game. This cycle has continued for months now.

Using that flawed logic, the developers might never release the PS+ Edition, because they can never be certain that the game won't come crashing down again. The problem is that they will never know for certain, unless they actually do release the game.

My point is that numerous other online-enabled games are released each month, for which no one ever raises similar concerns. Look at the retail games that I named...some of those titles go on sale for $20 or $30 off, and that also causes an upswing in users. Does that bring down the servers for those games? No, it doesn't. They've even released many other online-enabled games on the PS+ Instant Game Collection, and those games are still running. Why is this game the only one that brings about these lame excuses?

This.

Not only was the release a giant cluster-fuck, any sort of effective messaging to clear up ongoing development of the PS+ edition has been totally MIA. The whole thing has been mind-boggling. The Drive Club defense force is fervent too.

I think its at the point now where releasing the full game on PS+ makes the most sense as a way to push the GaaS angle & profit off the DLC.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Or people genuinely think this whole situation is a real problem and are angry that after all this time it still hasn't been resolved and Sony/Evolution are failing to communicate at all with fans and consumers as to the status of this fucked up botched launch. So either their servers are complete shit or they've been deceptive or they're horrendous at communication. At this point, none are particularly good outcomes and all make Sony look bad. And they've earned that in this case.

It's not a real problem because:

A) First Slice/Lite releases of games are not standard practice and

B) Evolutiob Studios are not DICE/Treyarch/Bungie/et al, ie: Studios with excellent online functionality track record. They didn't have the server capacity for the influx of standard purchases at launch, let alone the masses that would have strained and further wrecked the servers with a Lite version having to back up all those persistent stats.

It wasn't fucking feasible (and probably still hasn't gotten there yet being so understaffed and having to deliver actual promised , RELEVANT content such as post launch DLC), it wasn't worth destroying the experience of the regular users who bought it at launch , and frankly it's sure as hell not worth all the hoopla raised about it. It's not a game breaking feature, it's not a hefty promise by any stretch of reason, it's just a bunch of self righteous white knights over dramatizing the situation and calling for blood.

Feel free to discuss further, though.

Jingo

With all the hold back with the excuse that the game will crash we can all acept that this game is not literally for everyone.

I have not found a single Gamestop (always "not available on-line") or Best Buy (to price-match) that has had this game in stock within 75 miles of me for at least the last 4-6 weeks or I would have bought it a while ago.

Just to follow up on this, apparently the physical retail release has been discontinued according to Gamestop.

LifeLike

I cant find this Game for a decent price ANYWHERE !!
I've been looking for at least 2 months.

Could someone explain this shit?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=5cf50e3089680fc3319eced9c5135baden02

https://www.ebgames.ca/PS4/Games/316935/driveclub

Is that a joke?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Did you play it for more than 1 hour?

Because my 50h+ disagrees hard. Also my laughs, my excitement with hypercars and headphones, and my jaw on the floor.

Not a single racing game can top the races DC can provide.

I found the sound to be actually really bad, had to turn down everything and put up engine sounds to even be able to here the engine rev up to time my gear changes. I thought it was a bug, the default sound mix is terrible.

Shaneus

I found the sound to be actually really bad, had to turn down everything and put up engine sounds to even be able to here the engine rev up to time my gear changes. I thought it was a bug, the default sound mix is terrible.
I found that it was quite off for some of the early cars. Only did a race recently and had to crank up the engine sounds on the Mini to be able to hear it. Same sound mix worked for all the other cars fine.

Very weird.

It's only a lame escuse if you have no idea how the game handle his data.

It's like ignoring that 2 online enabled games can have very different methods of communication.
Still crack me up , the online enabled game part ..

And just like clockwork , someone will say : "but you can play online with GT or forza just fine !" , totally missing the point.

so....why the hell does this game not have any Japanese Imports? I wanna race in Japan in Japanese imports....wt...f?

Most likely a license issue

Lebneney

Banned
Just strolling by to post this.

251349_pahgawk_they-see-me-strolling.gif

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...onnectivity-prepare-playstation-plus-edition/

Armadilo

Banned
Yeah I was expecting it to release a month before E3 but nope, So I think theirs no chance it comes out during E3. Better to wait a month after and just release it

Nozem

"Dear Playstation fans. We regret fo inform you that the PS+ version of DRIVECLUB is canceled. We're really sorry."

There, done.

Tigress

Yeah I was expecting it to release a month before E3 but nope, So I think theirs no chance it comes out during E3. Better to wait a month after and just release it

They only need to wait a few more months now and it will be a year since the game came out and two years since the initial promise date that we would get it.

I'm genuinely curious what the plan is now...maybe just release the full game as the PS+ version & attempt to make $$$ on DLC? Its been so long now that would make the most sense. Releasing the cut down version is almost pointless. There's a silver lining: Regardless of what form the PS+ version comes in, by the time its available the retail version will probably be selling for $10 or less used....

desu

I'm genuinely curious what the plan is now...maybe just release the full game as the PS+ version & attempt to make $$$ on DLC? Its been so long now that would make the most sense. Releasing the cut down version is almost pointless. There's a silver lining: Regardless of what form the PS+ version comes in, by the time its available the retail version will probably be selling for $10 or less used....

100% won't happen. If you missed the last leaks, some people have the PSN+ version back from when it was originally released. This version has recently been updated, also featuring more content than before.

100% won't happen. If you missed the last leaks, some people have the PSN+ version back from when it was originally released. This version has recently been updated, also featuring more content than before.

This game is almost a year old and for a niche genre (everything that isnt a fps is niche right now), they will not make a lot of money with it, may as well release the full game for ps+ and at least make the ps+ customers happy after the driveclub fiasgo.

desu

Top Bottom