• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XenobladeX |Import OT| Discovery of Superb View: http://youtu.be/HgIXNOEv_40

Contains story spoilers!!!
Damn... thanks for answering, though. Since I don't know why she has this or its purpose there is still a lot about the story I don't know, right? Am I correct to assume that this is a small part of a much bigger story?
It's an important part of the story, but just that fact alone won't really indicate why it's important.

Nanashrew

Banned
Almost level 41 so I can begin on this kizuna quest which is required to start chapter 14.
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01l0u9s.jpg

Perfect.

Lumyst

Seems that at this point, when a Miiverse post is marked as a spoiler, it may have a major spoiler in it. So proceed with caution if you're curious enough to check Miiverse :p

Min0

Spoilers for those who haven't played Xenoblade on Wii (and slight for other Xeno games):
I can see the game being a possible "Episode 0" in the Xeno timeline because of the whole "creating (or perhaps recreating) the universe thing", no real reason I can see for it not to be. Zohar could be a form of the Monado and Alvis could potentially have turned into the "Wave Existence".
IDK though, I'm just getting into the series, my interest being spurred by this game and Xenoblade before it. I have Xenogears and it caught my interest immediately, but I got stuck very early on at a desert and haven't had the time to get back into it for a while. I'd be interested in hearing your theories on the connections between the games. This post tells me you know your stuff.

There are no connections between any of the Xeno games. Saga was supposed to be a reboot of Gears with the same themes but different characters. Blade was never a Xeno game to begin with, the name was changed during development probably to boost sales.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't decide if the soundtrack is amazing or super cheesy. I can't stop listening to it regardless, though.

Overside

Banned
I'm not a very big fan of the Saga games actually, but if you just wanted to sound like a condescending cunt, I suppose you succeeded. Congrats.

Oh yes, and the 'mmmmm yessss, I like complicated sophisticated stories, unlike that xenoblade' was totally not abeing a condescending cunt.

If you actually do like deep sophisticated stories, like gears, you might want to take another look at Xenoblade.

It left a far, far, higher bar for X to meet than gears.

Xbro

Spoilers for those who haven't played Xenoblade on Wii (and slight for other Xeno games):
I can see the game being a possible "Episode 0" in the Xeno timeline because of the whole "creating (or perhaps recreating) the universe thing", no real reason I can see for it not to be. Zohar could be a form of the Monado and Alvis could potentially have turned into the "Wave Existence".
IDK though, I'm just getting into the series, my interest being spurred by this game and Xenoblade before it. I have Xenogears and it caught my interest immediately, but I got stuck very early on at a desert and haven't had the time to get back into it for a while. I'd be interested in hearing your theories on the connections between the games. This post tells me you know your stuff.

Here's a thread(not from Gaf, so I'm not sure if the site is banned or not) that outlines a lot of connections between Gears and Saga. With Blade it could simply boil down to
being an episode zero for the series

aravuus

Oh yes, and the 'mmmmm yessss, I like complicated sophisticated stories, unlike that xenoblade' was totally not abeing a condescending cunt.

If you actually do like deep sophisticated stories, like gears, you might want to take another look at Xenoblade.

It left a far, far, higher bar for X to meet than gears.

I didn't even say deep or sophisticated lmao. As a self contained story, Xenoblade was very easy to follow - straightforward - at all times, which is the opposite of convoluted to me.

Overside

Banned
Here's a thread(not from Gaf, so I'm not sure if the site is banned or not) that outlines a lot of connections between Gears and Saga. With Blade it could simply boil down to
being an episode zero for the series

Blade could be the zero episode for any series, really. Its original title was 'begining of the world'.

Xenoblade never had anything to do with the 'xeno' story, the way gears, saga, and x do, in their various 'different enough to not sue' aspects.

Blade was more a spiritual/functional sequel, in that it did similar things like base its story, world, and lore off of famous philosophers works mixed with various religious symbology... Albeit taken to the next level by taking a concept thats been the basis of multiple religions, art, mathematics, philosophy, and computer programming, and weaving it all together from plot, to dialouge, to world building, to the game mechanics themselves.

Its left a very high standard to meet.

random25

the field themes are on par with Xenoblade's, the battle themes, however...not so much

I must say though, I like the regular battle theme of X over the first one. Shimomura's battle theme sounds good no doubt about it, but it doesn't feel like it fits as a battle theme. ACE+ composed battle themes however are damn great and much better overall than Sawano's.

But yeah, Sawano's field themes on X are really on par and sometimes a step up over Xenoblade's, especially the consistency of day/night cycle themes.

Overside

Banned
I didn't even say deep or sophisticated lmao. As a self contained story, Xenoblade was very easy to follow - straightforward - at all times, which is the opposite of convoluted to me.

Yeah... You just said complicated, I have artistic license, cant sue.

That would probably be because you arent actually following anything but the very surface of the story. You could do the exact same thing to gears.

That would be like completely ignoring all of the (straightforward and literally interpereted) freudian psychology gears was based off of (Amongst other things), and just saying gears was a simplistic story about a dude with a pony tail, who flies robots, usually misses seeing this red glowy dude, and then sits in a chair for a really long time and then a giant pink bunny gets crucified and they fight the boss.

Its really easy to make them simplistic straightforward stories when you dont bother to go into what they are actually about.

aravuus

Yeah... You just said complicated, I have artistic license, cant sue.

Complicated in the sense that there's a lot happening at the same time. Convoluted. Hard to follow, maybe. Complicated in the way Kingdom Hearts games are.

That would probably be because you arent actually following anything but the very surface of the story. You could do the exact same thing to gears.

That would be like completely ignoring all of the (straightforward and literally interpereted) freudian psychology gears was based off of (Amongst other things), and just saying gears was a simplistic story about a dude with a pony tail, who flies robots, usually misses seeing this red glowy dude, and then sits in a chair for a really long time and then a giant pink bunny gets crucified and they fight the boss.

Its really easy to make them simplistic straightforward stories when you dont bother to go into what they are actually about.

Yeah, because I enjoy following just the surface. I care about events and characters, not about themes, inspirations, interpretations. To me, stories are about the characters and the events they get into.

Overside

Banned
Complicated in the sense that there's a lot happening at the same time. Convoluted. Hard to follow, maybe. Complicated in the way Kingdom Hearts games are.

Yeah, because I enjoy following just the surface. I care about events and characters, not about themes, inspirations, interpretations. To me, stories are about the characters and the events they get into.

You are missing a vast deal of information on events and characters. Probably in gears as well as blade.

Ignoring the plot in favor of an incomolete view of the simplistic event to event story is not usually something you come across with people who enjoy xeno games.

Well, theres saga fans...

But whatever makes you happy.

aravuus

Ignoring the plot in favor of an incomolete view of the simplistic event to event story is not usually something you come across with people who enjoy xeno games.

Considering how popular Blade and Gears are.. Wouldn't be surprised if far more people enjoyed the games just like I do rather than you. Especially with Blade. But I suppose that's not the topic here, Heh!

Now I'm just waiting for the "my bad, I misunderstood your initial post and I was a bit condescending about it" post :^)

jb1234

But yeah, Sawano's field themes on X are really on par and sometimes a step up over Xenoblade's, especially the consistency of day/night cycle themes.

Eh. The field themes I loved the most from Xenoblade were the quiet ones, like Fallen Arm. There's nothing like that in X. Sawano doesn't have a subtle bone in his body.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Phew, was playing until 5 am yesterday, so here are some new screenshots:
And some shots from continents 2/3:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
Stuff Im fighting is like lv 40+ so its pretty important that they are not attacking things at random, which still happens anyways. D:
It doesn't really matter what level things are, because it's the level difference that's important.
I found "attack my target" to be the only command I'm using (also fall back and follow me if I need to drag something out of the deep water), but your problem might lie with artes themselves. Full Metal Jaguar (Elma's class) has at least 2 skills which might aggro everything around you - ライトニングソー attacks everything in front of you and has quite a long reach (which leads to aggroing stuff around) and スライドバースト (dash forward with guns blazing) can make you go all the way to the aggro zone of other enemies if you're not careful.
Since I'm a FMJ myself, I don't know much about skills from other classes, but if your NPCs are aggroing other stuff, better double check if they don't have AOE skills on them.

chadboban

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

It doesn't really matter what level things are, because it's the level difference that's important.
I found "attack my target" to be the only command I'm using (also fall back and follow me if I need to drag something out of the deep water), but your problem might lie with artes themselves. Full Metal Jaguar (Elma's class) has at least 2 skills which might aggro everything around you - ライトニングソー attacks everything in front of you and has quite a long reach (which leads to aggroing stuff around) and スライドバースト (dash forward with guns blazing) can make you go all the way to the aggro zone of other enemies if you're not careful.
Since I'm a FMJ myself, I don't know much about skills from other classes, but if your NPCs are aggroing other stuff, better double check if they don't have AOE skills on them.

Daaaaaamn those shots are gorgeous!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
2 important tips:
1. Wikis: Wiki one, Wiki two. Collection quests are terrible and they often don't give you any tips where to find the items, so these wikis are very useful. The first one lists items by zone, so it's really great. That said, for some quest items 2ch seems to be the best source of information. So many "where to find X" threads.

2. Save each time before starting a Kizuna Quest. Some of them require rare drops, one that I took just now required having 20% of the whole planet explored - sometimes you just realize that you don't want have the time for the quest and just want to progress the story, but with Kizuna Quests when you accept them, it's already too late.

random25

Eh. The field themes I loved the most from Xenoblade were the quiet ones, like Fallen Arm. There's nothing like that in X. Sawano doesn't have a subtle bone in his body.

There are some soft music in there, if that's what you're looking for. Ever listened to the Sylvalum themes?

2 important tips:
1. Wikis: Wiki one, Wiki two. Collection quests are terrible and they often don't give you any tips where to find the items, so these wikis are very useful. The first one lists items by zone, so it's really great. That said, for some quest items 2ch seems to be the best source of information. So many "where to find X" threads.

2. Save each time before starting a Kizuna Quest. Some of them require rare drops, one that I took just now required having 20% of the whole planet explored - sometimes you just realize that you don't want have the time for the quest and just want to progress the story, but with Kizuna Quests when you accept them, it's already too late.

huh, how much stuff is in these wikis right now? should probably get the English wiki to translate all of this too lol

So I've been hearing that there are characters who join you if you do optional quests. Is that right? Are they 'full' characters in the sense that they have personalities, unique designs and are integrated into the story and cutscenes?

Similar question for the DLC characters, unless they haven't been released yet.

Sorry if some of this stuff is already answered or based on outdated information; I've been trying to stay clear of X stuff.

Vena

So I've been hearing that there are characters who join you if you do optional quests. Is that right? Are they 'full' characters in the sense that they have personalities, unique designs and are integrated into the story and cutscenes?

Similar question for the DLC characters, unless they haven't been released yet.

Sorry if some of this stuff is already answered or based on outdated information; I've been trying to stay clear of X stuff.

The people who join from quests, or anyone who joins really (except for player character hires), all have character traits and personalities and unique arts to them.

2 important tips:

Does the quest ball not track monsters?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
2 important tips:

Good advice. Just did one where I had to follow Van Damme around and at one point it required some rare item from an obscure monster that I'd never fought before and thus wasn't in my Pokédex. The only direction given is "find X from Y on the first continent." Yeah, fuck that, off to the Internet.

15 hours in now, started Chp 4.

Some notes/impressions:

*The song that goes '1, 2, 3, 4 whooo!' in NLA is such an ear worm. I woke up with it in my head this morning.

*The party system is still ridiculous. Took 4 people to start Chp 4, oh, but hey there's a new member introduced. Alright, well, I guess I should try them out. Oh, nah, I liked Guin better...but now I have to go back to NLA to re-recruit him because switching in the new character sent Guin home. *sigh*

*Some of the quests are quite cool, especially the affinity quests, but also some of the quests with (unvoiced) cut-scenes. Non-story, non-character driven quest spoilers:
like the one where you have to go find a cave and kill the young pig beasts there and then the parent shows up and you have to kill it too and when you go back to the BLADE member to report he's all 'Yeah, killing a parent that was just trying to protect his kids is kinda shitty, huh?

*I don't know where Lyn goes at night when she's not in your party, but she's not in the kitchen where she usually is and Tatsu is no help. Ended up just changing the time of day so I could recruit her.

*The BLADE home customization stuff is cool, but I wish I had more colours to pick from for the lights. I want blue lights everywhere!

*The battle system, incl. Soul Voice, has really started to click with me now and I really like it.

*Discovered an option in the menu to turn off head equipment (affect is still present, the equipment is just not visible). It's nice because at one point my entire party was wearing helmets, which made us look like a weird motorcycle gang.

*The Navigation Ball is a good idea, but moves almost too quickly to keep up with.

*On the other hand, the Hopper Camera is great and has saved my skin a couple of times when I was lost (like finding that stupid cave for the 2nd Pathfinder quest).

*Guys, did you know Tatsu looks like a vegetable? Guys, did you know Tatsu looks like a vegetable? Guys, did you know Tatsu looks like a vegetable? Guys, did you know Tatsu looks like a vegetable? Guys, did you know Tatsu looks like a vegetable? Guys, did you know Tatsu looks like a vegetable? Guys, did you know Tatsu looks like a vegetable?

Nanashrew

Banned
*The BLADE home customization stuff is cool, but I wish I had more colours to pick from for the lights. I want blue lights everywhere!

I didn't know about this bit, or I might have not paid attention but I like that and they better patch in blue lights! I want my blue!

The people who join from quests, or anyone who joins really (except for player character hires), all have character traits and personalities and unique arts to them.

Cool, that's really good to know. Just a follow up question though, are the quest characters integrated into the story? Like do they appear in cutscenes and interact with the core cast, or is it more of the Elma and Friends Show.

moolamb

*Some of the quests are quite cool, especially the affinity quests, but also some of the quests with (unvoiced) cut-scenes. Non-story, non-character driven quest spoilers:
like the one where you have to go find a cave and kill the young pig beasts there and then the parent shows up and you have to kill it too and when you go back to the BLADE member to report he's all 'Yeah, killing a parent that was just trying to protect his kids is kinda shitty, huh?

This is especially interesting to me.
I have a very slight guilt issue where I don't enjoy so much monster-killing because of being brought up around conservation.

Have you read the final chapter in the BLADE formation short stories? Also in there is Lao having doubts about slaughtering the local monsters.

The way I see it, we're an alien species to planet Mira. We land and immediately we start slaughtering wildlife left right and centre. This reminds me heavily of 19th century colonisation. And being from New Zealand with its history of human-induced animal extinctions, it does disgust me a little bit.

I am guessing the main story will touch on this. It would be interesting to see the moral struggle play out - "humans are cancer".

Spoilertagging but it's not really a story spoiler.

*I don't know where Lyn goes at night when she's not in your party, but she's not in the kitchen where she usually is and Tatsu is no help. Ended up just changing the time of day so I could recruit her.
If a character isn't in their 'usual spot', they're ready for a Kizuna Talk/HearttoHeart, that's only available at that time of day. You don't really get any indications of where they are, unless you find a segment topic update that points you towards their location, but those aren't always easy to find. For Lyn's first one,
she's in the Arms warehouse in the Industrial Area, in that big open room through the door. At night, of course.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does the quest ball not track monsters?
The ball doesn't work with "collect item X" quests. As for monster killing quests, there are 2 types of those - straight up kill X of monster Y or "get item X from monster Y etc.". The "etc." part meaning that usually multiple monsters drop the same item. The general rule is that if you have a quest spot marked on your map, you can use the ball.

Bebpo

Banned
Just started Ch.4, where do I find my recruitable party members who are not at the Blade home?

Also is there no way to fast travel into the city from the outside? Only to the outside from the inside? And no real quick way to get around inside the NLA city since the mini-map on the tablet only shows the 1/6th area of NLA you are in? (so basically if you're doing quests and need to jump back and forth between one side of the city and the other, is there any way to do this?)

And 2 general questions for those a lot further in the game. Basically right now at about 7 hours in I'm a little worried about 2 things and it'd be nice if someone put my fears to rest:

1. The original Xenoblade had really memorable beautiful areas. Like the swamp that came alive at night with fireflies and incredible music, to the Noppon Forest, to the grass green fields where the opening title screen sword is place, to the gorgeous blue seas and futuristic sky city. It was a gorgeous game and every location was extremely memorable and varied. This starting continent area in Xenoblade X honestly...all looks the same. Just ugly brown rock with some flowers here and beaches there and structures here and there. Does Xenoblade X have memorable locations and gorgeous art direction areas later on?

2. The original Xenoblade had a party of really good characters like Dunban and Reyn time. So far the initial characters are kind of a bit plain outside of Rin & Tatsu conversations. Does the game get a good cast at some point?

Not really looking for spoilers, just kind of (yes/no) on if the areas get memorable and nice art and if the cast gets better as the story progresses.

The main gameplay is just as addicting as ever. So many quests jeez, but it's fun doing them and exploring and getting loot/leveling. Wish you could hold more quests at a time. Should let you hold at least 99 quests. 20 or 21 whatever it is, is too few since there are A MILLION QUESTS lol

Litri

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

Damn!!!

Mik2121

Might go and buy this later at the store nearby, they had tons of copies.

Is it worth it? I know close to zero about this except that it has massive worlds.
Does it have some sort of online component?

Edit: I see on the OP it has multiplayer. How does it work? You just match up with some friends to do some quests? I'd like to do that!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just started Ch.4, where do I find my recruitable party members who are not at the Blade home?

Also is there no way to fast travel into the city from the outside? Only to the outside from the inside? And no real quick way to get around inside the NLA city since the mini-map on the tablet only shows the 1/6th area of NLA you are in? (so basically if you're doing quests and need to jump back and forth between one side of the city and the other, is there any way to do this?)
When you press the map icon in the top left of the gamepad, left side of the screen allows you to warp to outside locations and those 6 icons on the left represent parts of the town. You can use the right side to jump around NLA.
As for the npcs, click around segments in Blade Area, they have their usual locations where they hang out.
The main gameplay is just as addicting as ever. So many quests jeez, but it's fun doing them and exploring and getting loot/leveling. Wish you could hold more quests at a time. Should let you hold at least 99 quests. 20 or 21 whatever it is, is too few since there are A MILLION QUESTS lol
I'm guessing you're talking about simple quests. Those are really meaningless unless you really like doing tasks like that. The limit is enough for Normal quests, which there's much less of and which actually matter :p

Edit:
Screenshot from the 5th continent.

Top Bottom