• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H-Hour World's Elite Released on Early Access Today (5/19)

mtodavk

The game is finally available to non-kickstarter backers/donators and I'm probably going to give it a shot. Looks kind of rough still, but I'm itching for the classic Socom gameplay.

For those who aren't up to speed on the game's development:

-Originally introduced as spiritual successor to Socom 2 with David Sears at the helm
-Started a Kickstarter for a "proof of concept" to show to game investors
-Kickstarter was a success, but not by much and not many of the stretch goals were met
-No investor interest, but the project continues with the Kickstarter money
-Community then learns that David Sears has left the team, and had actually left weeks before we had found out
-Development continues sans-Sears and who appears to be the project lead, Tom, gives us weekly updates about the game's development with no gameplay shown. This continues all the way up until the release of the game's beta test.
-Beta test happens for backers and the gameplay doesn't actually look too bad. Only two maps and one game mode
-Because of the small dev team, progress is slow and the updates aren't really anything noteworthy until the most recent one

They just updated the game and put a demolition mode in along with other maps tweaks and balancing things. The game still looks really early on in the process, especially in the animation department, but the core game is there.

Here is some gameplay from the beta released by SoF studios:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgQBkhALxH0

I hope they get enough money in EA to finish up the game and make it fully featured. So, What does GAF think? Are there any other Socom fans out there ready for a fresh experience?

Edit: The game is available on Steam right here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/293220/

tbhysgb

Buying it tonight. Expected it to be 40. Was surprised its 25. I've been watching it, looks rough but it looks like socom.

Se_7_eN

This will also be heading to PS4, so all those old SOCOM players waiting on the console version.... It is coming, hopefully this summer.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
What was the whole deal with David Sears leaving the project anyways? Kinda thought that was odd considering am sure lots of folks donated due to him being on board.

tbhysgb

He's still an advisor I think. I think he probably just meant to get the project going. I'm sure he's got his own thing full time. Its got potential though guys.

Omega

Banned
any GAFers getting this? Just bought it as I was a huge SOCOM fan. it's definitely an early access title (extremely bare bones) but I'm still having a lot of fun due to the nostalgia

steam ID is in my profile, add me.

What was the whole deal with David Sears leaving the project anyways? Kinda thought that was odd considering am sure lots of folks donated due to him being on board.

He left to become the Creative Director at Edge of Reality (makers of loadout). I think, essentially, once the game didn't get the investor funding it needed after the Proof of Concept funded by the kick starter, David moved on.

It sucks, but this game has crashed and burned. There is no way we'll ever see it on ps4.. Look how bare bones this offering is. The only hope now is Sony just somehow decides to bring socom back.

Man, I remember there being a lot of hype around this game from Socom fans when the kickstarter first launched. It totally flew off my radar until just now when I saw it mentioned on Reddit somewhere. Apparently it already released on PC? I honestly thought it was still in development. How is the population if anyone owns it? Is it worth buying?

Top Bottom