• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Gwent |OT| The original cardgame from Ancient Poland

I've been enjoying Gwent a bunch. My biggest issue is honestly how hard it is to find new, decent cards. The skill level of NPCs seem to be all over the place. Some key characters like the Baron was a joke, and then some armorer might be a piece of a cake, while the blacksmith five meters away form him throws out ridiculously overpowered hero cards like nothing. There are many interesting strategies here, but unfortunately in the end a lot of it comes down to how good the cards are. I've been doing alright though and I've gotten most of my foes so far, at least.

Furyous

Is it possible to play Gwent in Vizimia? Where are the Gwent locations in Novigrad, Velen, and the rest of the towns?

frontovik

Banned
There's a nobleman in Vizima's Royal Gardens that you can play against.

Most merchants (especially blacksmiths and innkeepers) plays as well.

Furyous

I can easily win one round against the guy in Vizimia palace and push him to a hard fought decisive third round. How come the game won't allow me to play my card worth 8 points? I've tried everything to convince it to allow me to do so. I play with the bare minimum allowed cards at 22. However, the game won't let me pull the card worth 8 points. Can someone help me figure this out?

Playing weather cards is great for confusing the dude. Also, playing your weakest cards first helps as well. Don't play him with hand that consists of any card worth less than four points. My clear weather card helps as does my decoy card. I try letting him get to 20 points higher than me then forfeiting. This way he'll be forced to lose the next round.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pissed that I can't get the unique cards from White Orchid any more.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I can easily win one round against the guy in Vizimia palace and push him to a hard fought decisive third round. How come the game won't allow me to play my card worth 8 points? I've tried everything to convince it to allow me to do so. I play with the bare minimum allowed cards at 22. However, the game won't let me pull the card worth 8 points. Can someone help me figure this out?

Playing weather cards is great for confusing the dude. Also, playing your weakest cards first helps as well. Don't play him with hand that consists of any card worth less than four points. My clear weather card helps as does my decoy card. I try letting him get to 20 points higher than me then forfeiting. This way he'll be forced to lose the next round.

Through lack of cards?

I do a similar strategy

frontovik

Banned
You win money based on how much you bet, usually merchants are willing to gamble with it.

Additionally, you get 1 card if you win a match, but nothing afterwards.

sueil

I won the high stakes gwent tournament and have some insanely good decks and haven't lost a game in ages ask me anything.

sueil

Nilfgaard is probably the strongest they get some insanely good leader abilities although northern realms free card draw is also very nice but foltest leader abilities are very weak. The level 4 leader of each faction you need to win the tournament to get. The level 4 emperor lets you take a card from the enemy discard and play it in your hand which is just super good. This not only increases your power by getting a good card but it buys you an 2 extra turns since it goes into your hand and not into play. Gwent is a game where being reactive is much stronger than proactive. I love it when the enemy goes first which makes elf deck opponents that always choose to go first kinda laughable.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Gwent is the type of phenomenon that makes me so happy to be a gamer.

Unexpected delights, CDPR... you have blown my mind with this game.

12/10, would buy again...and again.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how many side quests there is that require you to win at Gwent in order to open up the quest? Also, is Gwent required at any time in the main story? Thanks.

Chariot

Do you win money or items by playing gwent ?
Yes, you can win items when playing merchants more than one time. First time you always get a card, after that integret items.

You win money based on how much you bet, usually merchants are willing to gamble with it.

Additionally, you get 1 card if you win a match, but nothing afterwards.
Wrong, if you play Merchants and Blacksmiths a second time they give you random items like iron ore.

jUWjYxt.png
Ger-alt-oh, love it

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Man, you better be able to get that Foltest card some other way after White Orchard. If that was a one-time deal the game could have given a heads-up especially since Gwent is a non-presence in the player's mind at that point in the game due to lack of players.

patapuf

Man, you better be able to get that Foltest card some other way after White Orchard. If that was a one-time deal the game could have given a heads-up especially since Gwent is a non-presence in the player's mind at that point in the game due to lack of players.

i got it just after White Orchard
by beating the Nobleman in the park in Vizima

squidyj

Alright here's some gwent strategy for you all. I posted it in the main thread but I think it just got swept away there.

The basic gameplan I try to implement is win round 1 at all costs as the north. generate card advantage. win round three by being able to overwhelm my opponent's hand thanks to card advantage and a minion heavy deck.

Generating card advantage is valuable and to that end I use a Northern Kingdom deck, with the weather clearing foltest power. I tend to use my power to be able to 'pass' a turn as much as i do to actually clear weather. Most of the time I don't care about the weather but being able to spend a turn without playing a card is quite valuable.

I fill my deck with my highest power minions, spies, and medics. I do not want weather cards in my deck at all, if I draw a card I need it to be another minion I can play. Spies are great in round 2 where you can play them out to lose the round, often your opponent will even play one of his own cards. Medics allow you to play cards from your graveyard which more or less amounts to drawing another card as well. Medics can also be used to repurpose enemy spies for more card draw (medic on an enemy thaler is particularly great). The decoy card can also be useful to let me reclaim an enemy spy, a friendly medic, or claw back a regular unit in round 1 once your opponent has passed. It can also serve to essentially 'pass' a turn letting you generate even more card draw (play card A, decoy it, play card A again, 3 turns 2 cards)

In general you want to mulligan for a spy and a medic in your hand, if you have that then mulligan for a high powered diverse hand.

So general placement strategy. you want to
A. make your rows strong where your opponent is strong
B. diversify your power amongst rows
C avoid playing your msot individually powerful cards out of the gate
You're looking to minimize the value of his weather and other special cards with your placement strategy, in round 1 you want to make sure you dont wind up with a hand full of just 1 type of minion because that can fuck you in round 3

Round 1 fight tooth and nail for the win, keep playing until he passes, if you're far ahead on power try to stall by using decoy, leader power, low value minions, etc. Wining here gets you that card draw and the time you need to use it no matter what card it is.

Round 2 you want to give away to your opponent generally. Save your spy cards for this round, if you have any particularly low value cards, play them first then play the spies as it encourages your opponent to commit more cards to the round. Once you've drained off your worst cards and played your spies go ahead and pass.

Round 3 you should have substanatial card advantage and should be able to clean his clock. It's possible that your opponent has played spies as well but you should still be in good shape to clean his clock.

Phionoxx

Sure is a really fun card game. I just wish it was a bit easier to collect the common cards. I have hit every single blacksmith / merchant I have run into so far and purchased every card I found, and still don't have enough unit cards (22) for any of the decks besides the Northern one - so I am restricted to just that deck. At Level 10! Guess they mean for you to progress through all 4 decks somewhat slow?

I'm now playing as Geralt of Rivia, Master Gwent Player (and Witcher).

I've pulled out some crazy wins lately. My latest one was tied 1-1 in round 3. I had three cards, Biting Frost, Torrential Rain, and a power 5 archer while my opponent had 5 unknown cards. I thought for sure I was done but those weather cards ended up saving me and I squeaked by with a win by 1.

I also love how much of a Gwent fiend Geralt sounds when he asks people to play.
"Could really go for a round of Gwent."
"Not interested in your wares but I'd play some Gwent."

parabolee

Damn, do they sale the cards extra?

Unfortunately not, only way to get them now is the Xbox One Collectors Edition. I bought it specifically for the cards (I'm playing on PC).

They are going for like $80 on eBay!

Hopefully they start selling them at some point because I would love all the decks. It only comes with Ferelden and Termeria. They really are beautiful cards. Here are some pics -

$_35.JPG

$_35.JPG

Gwent.jpg

Chariot

Sure is a really fun card game. I just wish it was a bit easier to collect the common cards. I have hit every single blacksmith / merchant I have run into so far and purchased every card I found, and still don't have enough unit cards (22) for any of the decks besides the Northern one - so I am restricted to just that deck. At Level 10! Guess they mean for you to progress through all 4 decks somewhat slow?
Yeah, it's somewhat difficult, I couldn't do a Monster deck if I wanted and my other two are pretty weak. They should give you a choice at the beginning which Faction you want to start with and give you a startdeck of said faction.

Unfortunately not, only way to get them now is the Xbox One Collectors Edition. I bought it specifically for the cards (I'm playing on PC).

They are going for like $80 on eBay!

Hopefully they start selling them at some point because I would love all the decks. It only comes with Ferelden and Termeria. They really are beautiful cards. Here are some pics -
Goddamn exclusives!

Mhm, maybe I try to see to it to have Gwent cards in Tabletop Simulator. Maybe somebody's already working at such a project.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Honestly, the lack of 'common' cards outside of the north is the biggest problem.

Acquiring non-shit cards isn't all that hard, but when I see every scoiatel player running around with the zero cost spy and 2-3 elven medics, it gets kind of hard to keep card advantage.

Still haven't managed to find any decoys :( (though I didn't start playing right away, and probably missed a bunch in white orchard.)

Also, sucks that the Foltest card apparently goes away.

Chariot

Honestly, the lack of 'common' cards outside of the north is the biggest problem.

Acquiring non-shit cards isn't all that hard, but when I see every scoiatel player running around with the zero cost spy and 2-3 elven medics, it gets kind of hard to keep card advantage.

Still haven't managed to find any decoys :( (though I didn't start playing right away, and probably missed a bunch in white orchard.)

Also, sucks that the Foltest card apparently goes away.
You can buy on at Seven Cats INN, southeast outside of Novigrad. I am afraid, another Decoy was also in the stock of Elsa, the woman who vanishes after White Orchard.

DEO3

I've probably put as much time into Gwent - if not more, than doing anything else in the game. Now that I think about it, the only reason I actually do do anything else is because I need to in order to advance the story to unlock new areas that give me access to new players and cards.

Chariot

Eeesh, I got CRUSHED on my first Gwent game. Any good tutorial videos out there that explain it in kindergarten terms?
I tried in the OP. But my writing is probably bad, so feel free to ask if you have questions.
I've probably put as much time into Gwent - if not more, than doing anything else in the game. Now that I think about it, the only reason I actually do do anything else is because I need to in order to advance the story to unlock new areas that give me access to new players and cards.
Yeah, same. Tried to find the bath (without success) and entered the tournament as soon as I could (and got my ass wiped so hard in the first game, so I reload a older save :x)

Majukun

kinda want to learn the game..but every mpc that i find had a much better deck than me...
is the only way to get more cards to buy them in the inns?

Chariot

kinda want to learn the game..but every mpc that i find had a much better deck than me...
is the only way to get more cards to buy them in the inns?
Well, and beating other players and finish quests relating to beating certain groups of players. Try to start with some simple merchants, they are usually weak and drop common cards which can start to bolster your decks. Then move to the special players in the region around Bloody Barons keep, including the baron himself.

squidyj

I don't understand how people lose games, especially early on. I lost one once because I went full retard. I passed thinking I was so far ahead he'd never beat me in round 1 and he beat me, (which taught me never to pass first when you want to win). and then for some reason I thought I could still lose round 2. and threw away the game.

This is literally the only time I lost at gwent and I am having a hard time understanding why people find it so difficult to play.

Chariot

I don't understand how people lose games, especially early on. I lost one once because I went full retard. I passed thinking I was so far ahead he'd never beat me in round 1 and he beat me, (which taught me never to pass first when you want to win). and then for some reason I thought I could still lose round 2. and threw away the game.

This is literally the only time I lost at gwent and I am having a hard time understanding why people find it so difficult to play.
Sometimes you just have bad luck and some people may take longer to understand the tactcs and patterns of the game.

Majukun

ok...so the weaker players are on the first "map" right?
any list of Npc in that area that play the game?it might take a while to search them one by one..

I feel like they will patch in additional areas to purchase missable cards, especially the ones from White Orchard. I'm not restarting my game.

Chariot

ok...so the weaker players are on the first "map" right?
any list of Npc in that area that play the game?it might take a while to search them one by one..
I think in White Orchard you can onyl buy the cards from Elsa and play the guy who teaches you. He will give you card once you win. But that's all of Gwent in White Orchard, I think. As I said, pay the Bloody Baron in Velen a visit.
I feel like they will patch in additional areas to purchase missable cards, especially the ones from White Orchard. I'm not restarting my game.
Hope so. Something missable that early on is really a huge trap for players who don't have the initial impulse of becoming the King of Games.

Furyous

Your deck is shit compared to everyone else immediately after White Orchard....

Well, and beating other players and finish quests relating to beating certain groups of players. Try to start with some simple merchants, they are usually weak and drop common cards which can start to bolster your decks. Then move to the special players in the region around Bloody Barons keep, including the baron himself.

What players are around Bloody Barons keep besides the Baron?

*EDIT*

Squidyj I'm using your strategy to try to help my luck.

Chariot

Beat him and then ask who else plays Gwent. You will get a quest that lead you to the other special Gwent players in the region. In the keep itself you can ask the merchant and the blacksmiths to play.

squidyj

Your deck is shit compared to everyone else immediately after White Orchard....

*EDIT*

Squidyj I'm using your strategy to try to help my luck.

Yeah I'm in velen and I played the baron a while ago, I think I've covered 60-70% of players in the zone? I think you can play the smithy and there's another vendor there you can play as well at crow's perch.

If there are any non-vendor players that are also unmarked then I've missed them and would very much like to hear about them.

Good luck, hope my strat works for you, it's been working for me.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
You can buy on at Seven Cats INN, southeast outside of Novigrad. I am afraid, another Decoy was also in the stock of Elsa, the woman who vanishes after White Orchard.

Ooh, thanks for the one.

I only really wanted it after seeing computers bounce around the weak spy cards to give themselves huge card advantage, lol.

Seems to be working out so far, a couple of the 'champ' cards + the occasional Hero card from random merchants have worked wonders at buffing up the deck.

My main goal is to get every (or most) cards to have some form of card advantage, either weak spies, or stuff like Yennefer or the 5-power siege medic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The medics are super good, I have Yennefer and that one Siege unit lady and they both are huge swings to take a round. My deck right now has 3-4 spies along with a decoy so I usually try to throw the first game but amass a bunch of cards.

Important to rememeber you can't use the decoy on the hero cards though. Also when using the medic, bringing the spy back will work like it was played from the hand and be on the opponent's side while drawing cards.

The gwent quest is a really good way to familiarise yourself with different strategies. All the masters have very specific builds that are interesting as heck to see. Some merchants do too, though most of them lack optimised decks.

Gwent's rad.

Corpekata

Banned
I've seen some questionable AI in players, like using weather that hurts them far more than me, or using a clear weather card when there's no weather (though I guess the latter could be used as avoiding passing too early and not wanting to reveal further cards yet). Not sure if buggy or just meant to be bad players.

Top Bottom