• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

I like the Razer Blackwidow Chroma. The lights are spectacular and being able to have just the keys I need for the game I'm play illuminated is a nice touch. Also, I find the actuation point and the force required is very small. Having a light show when listening to music is also fund when I'm bored. My only problem with it is that I use to have the Deathstalker so I'm used to a longer keyboard, so still getting a bit used to this one. Other than that I have no problems with it.

baphomet

I'm really liking mine so far.

c3gIIMq.jpg

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Alright dudes. I have a K70 now with cherry mx blues. Sooooooo, I want to put o-rings or soft landing pads on the keys to less the "clack".

I tried some black o-rings that came with this, and they are good but they make the travel too short.

I tried WASD Red 40A-L o-rings, but they feel soft and squishy at the bottom, like a membrane keyboard, because they're too soft or something.

So what would people reccomend to less clack, reduce travel the least, that doesn't feel squishy at the bottom? I'm thinking about trying Elite keyboards firm/gray landing pads. Any other suggestions would be great.

DemiMatt

Hey I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. I'm looking for a quiet keyboard with tactile feedback (I believe brown switches are what I would get). The catch is it has to be from Best Buy, since I have 90 bucks in gift cards. Curious what you guys think.

Right now I'm thinking the Razor Ultimate Stealth one. Any other suggestions?

After I graduate from college I'm going to be switching from a macbook pro to a surface 3 and I'll likely want a 60% to carry around with me to work and whatnot. Can't decide between a V60 mini or a Pok3r. Everything about the pok3r screams nicer except I can't imagine not having the semi-dedicated arrow keys on the V60. I use them a lot in word documents and excel and such. Would it be possible to set up a v60-esque arrow key system on the pok3r?

moerser

After I graduate from college I'm going to be switching from a macbook pro to a surface 3 and I'll likely want a 60% to carry around with me to work and whatnot. Can't decide between a V60 mini or a Pok3r. Everything about the pok3r screams nicer except I can't imagine not having the semi-dedicated arrow keys on the V60. I use them a lot in word documents and excel and such. Would it be possible to set up a v60-esque arrow key system on the pok3r?

you should look into the ducky mini(2014), im using one for about 6 months now and would recommend it. bonus points for the free travel case.

Jimrpg

Ok so my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Classic and Deathadder Classic has just been delivered. Took exactly seven days from ordering.

I'm typing from it now and it feels pretty good. Still getting used to the size of the keys because i'm used to bigger keys on laptops and macbooks.

I was a bit worried the keyboard would suck as it seems like everyone was hating on razer periphirals. The ducky shine was another $60 so I didn't want to pay that. The keyboard and mouse is pretty good and im happy with the purchase. The blue backlight from the keyboard and mouse matches my GTX 970 blue light in my case so I'm pretty pleased with that.

Azulsky

I've been pretty happy with my code Tenkeyless w Cherry Clears. You get used to the typing force after about a week.

Still want to get a HHKB though.

Fr0stbyte

I have a Black Widow ULT 2013 and I was cleaning it out today and had a minor issue that bothered me just a bit.

The font, I took off my key caps to dust them all off and I was mixing up the caps. For example, W and E. Of course the key was turned a certain way but when I was placing my keycaps back on I would like to see a update to the font. (Or I could purchase new keycaps)

Wallach

I've been using this FC660M as my main for a while now, so I decided to add another 'board to my collection; picked up one of the 45g Realforce 87Us (the black-on-black EK version). Thought about chasing down an FC660C but I need some more Topre keycaps in my life.

I have a CM Quick Fire Rapid and I'm looking into buying some custom keys. Can anyone suggest where I may find some quality keycaps?

leroidys

I'm going over to the darkside GAF... spent the entire weekend looking at mechanical keyboards. I decided that I really wanted a Filco cherry-brown majestouch-2 ninja tenkeyless, but can't find it in stock anywhere.

Anything comparable that you guys can recommend I check out? My requirements are tacticle, tenkeyless or smaller, very sturdy, and minimal (no gaming LEDs, chrome, gloss, etc.). Also looked at happy-hacking and leopolds, but those are difficult to find as well.

Also, is there anything comparable to a filco keyboard for a mouse? I'm specifically looking for something that requires low force to click, and looks very subtle.

Shiina

I'm going over to the darkside GAF... spent the entire weekend looking at mechanical keyboards. I decided that I really wanted a Filco cherry-brown majestouch-2 ninja tenkeyless, but can't find it in stock anywhere.

Anything comparable that you guys can recommend I check out? My requirements are tacticle, tenkeyless or smaller, very sturdy, and minimal (no gaming LEDs, chrome, gloss, etc.). Also looked at happy-hacking and leopolds, but those are difficult to find as well.

Also, is there anything comparable to a filco keyboard for a mouse? I'm specifically looking for something that requires low force to click, and looks very subtle.

Check out KUL keyboards. Leopolds are a good choice, too, because they come with PBT caps right from the start. Check out these two (more choice here, looks poverty but is apparently legit). Vortex is also about to release the Pok3r which comes with an aluminium case (which can be hellishly expensive) and doesn't cost that much more than the Poker II (which is also a good choice if you can still find one).

FoxSpirit

Got myself a Cherry MX-Board 3.0, MX-Brown board for work.
Very nice, and just slighty over 60 Euros with German Layout

Might also get one for home in case I do a lot of typing. Definitely great money value.

My K70 just came in today. My first mechanical keyboard. Still getting used to the noise. Honestly, not sure what to expect. The blue backlight looks so sleek though haha.

Ryne

Anyone has a set of Max Universal Cherry MX Translucent keycap set? I want to know how they feel as I want to replace my keycap set from my K70 RGB

Kindekuma

Banned
My first mechanical keyboard arrived in the mail today. I'm pissed at myself for not getting one sooner, these are amazing! I had a Dell L100 keyboard for over a year and then a really shitty wireless G&E keyboard that hardly worked before that.

I got myself a Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Reds, black body with red LEDs), and it's amazing. I've had experience with reds, blues, and brown keyswitches over at a friends house so it really came down to personal preference. I loved typing on the blues but the clacky noise would definitely get to me after a while, and considering I'm moving into a house with 3 other roommates, I don't want to keep them up at night. So I went with reds. Love that linear actuation.

The keyboard I got came with some "slanted" keycaps that help you find the WASD placement during gaming but I didn't find them all too helpful. They look nice, but not much helping wise, since I already know where I am on the keyboard at all times.

Anyway, TL;DR - Got my first mechanical keyboard, really happy with my purchase.

Just received my Pok3r in the mail. Got clear switches, my first tactile switch after using reds on my first board. I have to say, it's a pretty satisfying feeling, but it's going to take a little getting used to. The stiffer switch definitely helps with bottoming out though.

Noticing quite a bit of pinging from my spacebar though :(

Thankfully it's going to take quite a while for my granite keycaps to get here from massdrop, I'm going to be able to get used to these function keys.

Shiina

Just received my Pok3r in the mail. Got clear switches, my first tactile switch after using reds on my first board. I have to say, it's a pretty satisfying feeling, but it's going to take a little getting used to. The stiffer switch definitely helps with bottoming out though.

Noticing quite a bit of pinging from my spacebar though :(

Thankfully it's going to take quite a while for my granite keycaps to get here from massdrop, I'm going to be able to get used to these function keys.

I had it on my Poker II as well (mostly around the left shift key) until I put shelf liner inside the keyboard and under it. Now it's reasonably silent and doesn't ping.

I had it on my Poker II as well (mostly around the left shift key) until I put shelf liner inside the keyboard and under it. Now it's reasonably silent and doesn't ping.

Yeah, a bit of searching has shown that it's a common problem with Poker keyboards I suppose. Here's to hoping it goes away a bit after my switches break in.

Kudo

Oh how I wish stores here wouldn't have stopped selling Topre keyboards..
I currently have tenkeyless Noppoo mechanical been using it for 3-4 years and it's so dirty if I linked picture here it would be nsfw.
Is there any good stores in EU that have tenkeyless Topres with cheap shipping?

MultiCore

Hey keyboard GAF.

I have a Gigabyte Aivia Osmium with Brown switches. I really enjoyed it, can type upwards of 70 wpm on it without thinking.

Well, the keyboard is failing. I've had it for a year and a half. It resets, and key input stalls, and the lights flicker. Evidently, it's a common issue, and support seems non-existent.

After looking at the problems with the K70 RGB and reading some disappointing reviews about recent Das reliability, I decided to get a Ducky Shine 4 69 edition fire. It was either that, or the Legend.

Does anyone here have any anecdotes about Ducky's reliability? I'm hoping I won't have to buy another for a decade.

Also, anyone type on MX Greens?

Shiina

Oh how I wish stores here wouldn't have stopped selling Topre keyboards..
I currently have tenkeyless Noppoo mechanical been using it for 3-4 years and it's so dirty if I linked picture here it would be nsfw.
Is there any good stores in EU that have tenkeyless Topres with cheap shipping?

These two. No idea about the shipping cost, though.

Well as a life long fan of low throw or low profile keyboards (Logitech DiNovo Edge ftw), I finally made the jump to mechanical this weekend. I think for typing I still prefer low profile, but for gaming the mechanical keyboard is amazing. Although, after my first day of work on the keyboard, I am adapting and the typing is feeling a little bit better (but god damn is it loud!)

I went with the K70 MX Red with Red LED. Lovely keyboard, and the additional textured keys you can swap in has been a big help for my HotS gaming. It was so easy to lose track of keys with my old Logitech low profile board.

Koren

the typing is feeling a little bit better (but god damn is it loud!)
It shouldn't make much noise with reds, but it take a lot of practice to avoid bottoming them.

I just ordered an Ergodox, but I can't decide between browns and blues, even after trying both a bit. I know it's a gaming board, but I guess there's also some developpers here, so I'll try.

It'll be mostly for typing (developpment and LaTeX), although I guess I'll play a game from time to time. I'm not concerned with the noise (I actually like the sound of the blues, although I don't know I'll enjoy it in 6 months...). I may go with blues, but I'm a bit concerned by the fact that blues have different actuation and release points.

Anyone have extensive experience with typing on both and an advice?

FoxSpirit

I like the "clack clack" more than the "click click".
Otherwise, I never had problems with Blue one's even in Starcraft 2 where the reactivation point was a topic. But it turned out a complete non-issue.
So take whatever you like best imho :)

Koren

I like the "clack clack" more than the "click click".
Otherwise, I never had problems with Blue one's even in Starcraft 2 where the reactivation point was a topic. But it turned out a complete non-issue.
So take whatever you like best imho :)
The problem is that I don't know what I like best :/ Without a several hours of use at the very least with different kind of keys on real keyboards, it's a tough decision. And I don't even have access to shops that sell mechanicals keyboards.

But thanks for the details about the release point...

maeh2k

In my opinion, blues feel way better for writing. It's not just the sound, but the force you have to exert. It feels lighter and more precise to type on the blues.
For gaming, the clicking takes a bit of getting used to. E.g. moving in a shooter is a bit weird with the clicks.

Kudo

I was planning to get new mechanical just because my old one is so dirty but I thought it's worth the effort to just clean it, so now is perfect chance to install O-rings too.
Do people like or hate them mostly?

Also I guess Noppoo Choc Mini doesn't fit any other keyboards caps because of the small size? Can't replace with other colours?

"Also I guess Noppoo Choc Mini doesn't fit any other keyboards caps because of the small size? Can't replace with other colours?"

Choc mini will fit any keycaps that fit on Cherry MX stems (the vast majority of keycaps available). The only catch is that the Choc Mini has some unique spacing for some keys like the right shift and some modifiers on the bottom, so you'll need pay heed to that and make sure you get some extra keycaps (probably going to be blanks or novelties) that are the same size for those handful of keys. A standard set of keycaps won't have those keys in those sizes.

Kudo

"Also I guess Noppoo Choc Mini doesn't fit any other keyboards caps because of the small size? Can't replace with other colours?"

Choc mini will fit any keycaps that fit on Cherry MX stems (the vast majority of keycaps available). The only catch is that the Choc Mini has some unique spacing for some keys like the right shift and some modifiers on the bottom, so you'll need pay heed to that and make sure you get some extra keycaps (probably going to be blanks or novelties) that are the same size for those handful of keys. A standard set of keycaps won't have those keys in those sizes.

I'm set if I can just replace the alphanumeric keys, thanks for the info!
Might just go for red replacement set of Duckys so full red Noppoo..

Shiina

I've been thinking about getting a Pok3r lately. Been meaning to try out clear switches for a while now. Really curious to see how they compare to browns.

finalflame

Gold Member
I've been thinking about getting a Pok3r lately. Been meaning to try out clear switches for a while now. Really curious to see how they compare to browns.

I use a CODE TKL w/ MX Clears at work. Absolutely love it. Key presses are crisp with a bit more resistance and feels amazing. If you enjoy browns, they are an upgrade, IMO.

RedSwirl

So most mechanical keyboards just work with regular USB cables right?

I ask because if I ever get one I need it to probably have a 16ft cable. Right now I'm working with a 9ft cable and even that doesn't give me a lot of slack. I'm basically talking couch gaming distances here. I'm still disappointed I haven't really heard of a wireless one yet.

I guess what I really need is that new Corsair lapboard coming out. That has a splitter built-in right?

eek5

I ask because if I ever get one I need it to probably have a 16ft cable. Right now I'm working with a 9ft cable and even that doesn't give me a lot of slack. I'm basically talking couch gaming distances here. I'm still disappointed I haven't really heard of a wireless one yet.

I guess what I really need is that new Corsair lapboard coming out. That has a splitter built-in right?
Yeah most of them use mini-USB now so you can just get your own cable and use whatever length you want.

Pok3r is great other than no media buttons. I had two Poker2s. Got a 3 and ended up buying a second 3 because I like how solid it feels. It's really sturdy and since it's so heavy it doesn't slide around. The only downside is that there aren't media buttons but that's coming in a firmware update supposedly.

As for clears.. idk. I thought I'd like them because I like browns a lot but they're way too stiff for me. Ended up feeling a lot of fatigue. I do enjoy typing on them but I can't type for too long because it gets tiring. Hard to bottom out at least.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Yes, but some only have NKRO on PS2 connectors. Off the top of my head the Logitech G710+ has NKRO over USB. Dunno about others, maybe it's advanced more.

Top Bottom