• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
My arena choices today: Druid, Warrior, Hunter. (picked Druid, had a daily)
My arena opponents today: Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage and Priest.
My spells: Swipe x 2, Wrath x 1, Mark of Nature x 1
My opponent's spells: unlimited fireballs, flamestrikes, flamecannons, polymorphs and frostbolts. One mage even had Nefarian and lethaled me with force of nature / power of the wild. That was the best.

My rewards: 30 gold and a shitty pack. My opponents rewards: I assume they all got 12 wins and 5 packs with 5 gold legendaries each.

I don't care what people say, there isn't a hearthstone player alive who could have gotten 7 wins with the shitty choices I was given. I feel lucky to have gotten 2.

Dahbomb

My arena choices today: Druid, Warrior, Hunter. (picked Druid, had a daily)
My arena opponents today: Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage and Priest.
My spells: Swipe x 2, Wrath x 1, Mark of Nature x 1
My opponent's spells: unlimited fireballs, flamestrikes, flamecannons, polymorphs and frostbolts. One mage even had Nefarian and lethaled me with force of nature / power of the wild. That was the best.

My rewards: 30 gold and a shitty pack. My opponents rewards: I assume they all got 12 wins and 5 packs with 5 gold legendaries each.

I don't care what people say, there isn't a hearthstone player alive who could have gotten 7 wins with the shitty choices I was given. I feel lucky to have gotten 2.
Yesterday Kripparrian had a terrible streak of Arena. I believe he went 0-3 once and 1-3 twice. That's the worst I have seen him perform and he just recently had a run where he got multiple 12 wins in a row including a 12-0 (28 win streak arena).

TL:DR Its fucking Arena and you can get randomed out.

ViviOggi

Yesterday Kripparrian had a terrible streak of Arena. I believe he went 0-3 once and 1-3 twice. That's the worst I have seen him perform and he just recently had a run where he got multiple 12 wins in a row including a 12-0 (28 win streak arena).

☑ This guy's pasta is CRAZY!” ☑ “My rigatoni can't win against a linguini like that” ☑ "He NEEDED that alfredo to win" ☑ “He meatballed the only marinara that could beat me” ☑ "He had the perfect fettucini ☑ “There was nothing I could cook” ☑ “I cooked that al dente”

Dahbomb

☑ This guy's pasta is CRAZY!” ☑ “My rigatoni can't win against a linguini like that” ☑ "He NEEDED that alfredo to win" ☑ “He meatballed the only marinara that could beat me” ☑ "He had the perfect fettucini ☑ “There was nothing I could cook” ☑ “I cooked that al dente”
LMAO!

The salt from Kripp and the stream chat going off yesterday was hilarious. He might post a video of some of the highlights. In one of his Mage games he was 1-2 and he faced off against a Midrange Zoolock in Arena LMAO (double Implosions into Sea Giant into Power Overwhelming finisher).

I just ran into a rushdown Paladin. Fuck is this game anymore.
Thank Reynad for that.

Kenaras

The salt from Kripp and the stream chat going off yesterday was hilarious. He might post a video of some of the highlights. In one of his Mage games he was 1-2 and he faced off against a Midrange Zoolock in Arena LMAO (double Implosions into Sea Giant into Power Overwhelming finisher).

My last Arena game, I went:

Turn 4: Voidcaller
Turn 5: Trade Voidcaller into Piloted Shredder for a free Doomguard. Bane of Doom the resulting Dire Wolf Alpha for a second Doomguard. Game over.

And yeah, no one gets 7+ wins every time. No one even gets 7+ wins every time they draft a good deck. Doing well in Arena is about how well you do across multiple runs; you can't let a single bad run get you down.

Jadax

When I don't get a Mage, Pally, Druid or Lock I know my already at a big disadvantage (not getting more than 3 wins) - and so far my arena stats prove this.

I've just started, only a handful of games under my belt so I guess it'll take time to understand how to play the other classes in arena.

Heropon

Reincarnate + Sneed's Old Shredder in Arena, the last thing that I thought it was happen to me in arena. I hope that shaman doesn't get 12 wins and suffers a lot.

Agraavan

My say in that is very much based on anedoctal evidence, but I usually have very good runs with Rogue in arena, I would rate it even better than Druid.

On the other side, I consider Shaman shit tier all the way, with a very specific draft being viable to garner some wins.

Jadax

Anyone EU playing right now who considers themselves good in arena add me so I can watch you and learn some shit: Jadax#2287

embalm

But the Mech tribe, especially in Mage, is entirely based around gaining tempo and early board control. Flame Leviathan does the polar opposite of that - its body is a War Golem, neither an early game nor a tempo card, and its completely random on-draw effect straight up counteracts the tribe's gameplan. It's highly unlikely that Blizzard would introduce alternative heavy control options into the tribe, diluting its character, when dragons already fulfill that exact purpose.

Also it's a mistake to take its Heartharena rating at face value, the sample size is notably small and it's accompanied by a variety of theories straight from the site's operators.
Currently the best cards(Mech Warper) lean it that direction, but I wouldn't discount entire playstyles to a tribe just yet. FL is a control card and so are a lot of the other un-used legendary mechs like Foe Reaper. Actually that priest mech is pretty controlly. If you look at demons they can be played quickly or slowly now. It just takes some time for the tribes to get fleshed out.

As far as the Heartharena rating for the card, the theories from the site all back up that the card is pretty decent. Arena is very different than constructed, I don't run Force Tank Max in constructed but it can win games in arena. It just hints at a card being individually powerful in an environment with no tech.

I'm not trying to get anyone to craft golden cards here, but Flame Leviathon has circumstances around it that make it stand out as better than most other un-used legendaries. It is not a Millhouse Manastorm (it will completely lose you games), it's a King Mukla(build a deck around it and a few key cards added in the future you might have a really fun deck).

I never said that FL was a tech card, I said that Big Game Hunter is a tech card that is currently in a lot of decks because of Dr. Balance. BGH being run as a tech card makes FL that much worse.
My fault for glancing over that last line.
I imagine if it is ever included in a control deck it would be over-saturated with 7+ attack minions. Similar to Control Warrior and Handlock, where if you need the big minions you include 5+ of them to make sure your opponent doesn't have enough targets.

Biochet

iUvdWNS.png

3 shielded minibots did all the work though

Ladekabel

Can anyone say what is the best way to get dust/gold? I last played Hearthstone casually a few months ago and after a break I'm trying to get back into it. Played mostly priest and in the process of getting the cards for the deck burnt me out. Now I played a little bit the last couple of days and I'm already tired of my priest again.
I played against the inn keeper and quite liked paladin, mage and shaman. Now I'd like to have a deck for them, too, but this seems quite an time investment. Has anyone a link to some good basic card decks for those classes?

Thanks in advance!

Raxus

Yep, I tend to average around 7 wins but I do get losing streaks on occasion due to piss poor luck. My latest run looks good.

Hektor

Can anyone say what is the best way to get dust/gold? I last played Hearthstone casually a few months ago and after a break I'm trying to get back into it. Played mostly priest and in the process of getting the cards for the deck burnt me out. Now I played a little bit the last couple of days and I'm already tired of my priest again.
I played against the inn keeper and quite liked paladin, mage and shaman. Now I'd like to have a deck for them, too, but this seems quite an time investment. Has anyone a link to some good basic card decks for those classes?

Thanks in advance!

The best way to get gold is beeing good at arena.
If you dont consider yourself good enough you could try playing rushdecks like Facehunter or Zoo.

And you should always reroll 40G quests.

Kifimbo

I need to watch a friend. Anyone playing willing to share his ID ?

EDIT: US. Thanks anyway Hektor. If you want to add me: Kifimbo#1902.

Bane of Doom has been doing some serious work for me. Here's what it's yielded in the last 6 games.

1 Succubus
1 Pit Lord
2 Doomguard
2 Jaraxxus

EDIT: game # 7 I got Illidan, haha.

Bane of Doom is pretty good now.

You can sometimes instantly win the game from getting Mal'Ganis from it. It's pretty nuts. I've also gotten some pretty sick games off getting Illidan from it. Wish the shit he spawned counted as a demon though.

Ashodin

Bane of Doom is pretty good now.

You can sometimes instantly win the game from getting Mal'Ganis from it. It's pretty nuts. I've also gotten some pretty sick games off getting Illidan from it. Wish the shit he spawned counted as a demon though.

SO much fun when you get Mal. Even Mr. Charge is fun too!

Streams where its two people playing one deck and climbing ladder is by far the most informative way to watch high level streamers play imo. And with Backspace and Zalae, they are also entertaining to listen to.

If you wanna learn how people think out games, I highly recommend giving that kind of stream a try.

Dahbomb

On one end, those other decks and RNG were quite insane especially that last one.

But on the other... he was using fucking Mage, with triple Flamestrikes, Sylvanas and a shit ton of quality minions (and basically no bad card). That was a 8+ win deck free in normal situations.

clav

Ouch. I had that happen just the other day. Drafted a deck and played 3 games which I lost all in 10min. All three opponents played good minions on perfect curve and had the right removal at all the right times. When shit is random there are going to be times where literally nothing goes your way.

My 3 losses today can be described the same way.

Perfect removal. No way to swing back in tempo since Mages have best spells.

Levi

Banned
The season before blackrock I had a 70%+ win rate with mid range pally. Now I can't even do the stupid 60 gold Paladin quest in a single sitting. Man did they wreck Paladin. I'd say even Shaman is better right now.

clav

The season before blackrock I had a 70%+ win rate with mid range pally. Now I can't even do the stupid 60 gold Paladin quest in a single sitting. Man did they wreck Paladin. I'd say even Shaman is better right now.

I'm having difficulties with Warrior and Priest matchups. I feel like I need to create a specific card set to counter these classes rather than just build a generic mid-range Paladin.

So I'm not really sure about this deck, I just threw it together since I was getting bored with my other Dragon Priest deck. Have to say, when I first started playing it, things worked out extremely well, everything fell into place. Granted, low rankings and end of the season aside. After a while longer, lost a bit more but I'm having fun with it. Might need some going over but I'm not to sure where.

Basically, with my other deck, I'd always do really well in the beginning, so I thought I'd try to get a lower curve, more aggressive deck going to see what happens. It can go really well or horribly. I might just cut off the curve at four mana and see how that goes, but I'm not sure if that's the right move.

Dahbomb

How do you change a deck after matching with the opponent?
He means tailor your deck based on what you know is common on the Ladder.

That means tailoring your deck to counter Zoolock, Grim Patron and Face/Midrange Hunter to the best of your ability.

IMO (others might disagree here).. but I think having double Equalities with a single Pyromancer is really essential there days. Double Equality means you can have an answer against Grim Patron with Equality Consecrate or Equality Pyromancer. Equality Pyromancer can also help you clear all the crap that is Zoolock spawns. Double Equality also helps you out in the Control match up against Handlock and Ramp Druid which is also starting to prop up more these days.

I also think Harrison Jones is a must these days. You really need to be able to deny the Deathrattle of the Death's Bite of Grim Patron Warrior as it could in many cases be the difference between victory and defeat.

Mulgrok

Chromaggus (whatever the duplicate card draw dragon is called) being played and then drawing flame leviathan would trigger the aoe twice? That would be interesting :p

clav

He means tailor your deck based on what you know is common on the Ladder.

That's not what I meant. Wouldn't Hearthstone be better if it were like a fighting game setup, so you know your opponent ahead of time to choose a specific deck tailored for that class?

Within the nine class slots, there are subclasses that you can micromanage decks even more. This would also naturally increase the current saved card decks.

Dahbomb

Chromaggus (whatever the duplicate card draw dragon is called) being played and then drawing flame leviathan would trigger the aoe twice? That would be interesting :p
I don't think it will since the 2nd card is created by Chromaggus.

Someone should try it and also try it with Iron Juggernaut.

That's not what I meant. Wouldn't Hearthstone be better if it were like a fighting game setup, so you know your opponent ahead of time to choose a specific deck tailored for that class?

Within the nine class slots, there are subclasses that you can micromanage decks even more. This would also naturally increase the current saved card decks.
Online fighting games are the same. You don't know what your opponent has picked until you two begin the fight so you are basically going in blind. This prevents people from playing online counter picking based on match up (ie. I see my opponent pick Dhalsim, I counter with Yun).

Though I definitely want there to be a 3 out of 5 Tournament format for Hearthstone online play as suggested here.

The real issue here is that Paladin and Priest are reactive classes and the decks that do well on ladder basically put threats on boards for you to deal with and overwhelm you (by flooding board or comboing you to death) before you get your cards. That means Paladin/Priest are forced to create decks that do "OK" against a bunch of decks because if they make too specific counters they get beat by something else rather easily. Paladin in particular has a problem in that they have no match up where they win outright by a huge margin which means every game they have to work hard for the wins and hope they draw the right removals/answers at the right time.

How do you change a deck after matching with the opponent?

Well, like Dahbomb said it is about changing your deck to be strong against what you are seeing commonly on ladder. If you're seeing a lot of druid, maybe your deck adds a black knight. If you're seeing a lot of paladin, maybe you add harrison jones. If you're seeing lots of mech mage, perhaps you add mind control tech. Each deck can use different tech cards to increase their chances of winning. This is how you succeed at hearthstone. You stack the deck in your favor and you play to your advantages and over time you'll have a net positive win rate because of those changes you made and your ability to capitalize on them.

Earlier today I played Dr Boom and my Rogue opponent sapped it back to my hand for me to play again the next turn and have 4 boom bots on the field lol

I know what you guys mean about Paladin not having a lot of removal, a priest managed to get a 6/38 dragon on the board and I didn't have an equality in my hand lol....luckily I was able to close it out with other cards before he could get overwhelm me

Ladekabel

The best way to get gold is beeing good at arena.
If you dont consider yourself good enough you could try playing rushdecks like Facehunter or Zoo.

And you should always reroll 40G quests.

Thanks for the answer.

Always try to go for the dailies.

Bought an access to arena and won a game but it is one mode I fear to use because I always get an disconnect every second or third game.

Xanathus

Thanks for the answer.

Always try to go for the dailies.

Bought an access to arena and won a game but it is one mode I fear to use because I always get an disconnect every second or third game.

Actually you shouldn't really aim to "make" gold from arena, but rather it's just the most optimal way to *spend* gold because it has the best gold -> pack + dust conversion rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom