• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT| It's Time to D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D-Duel!

So, GAF, is there a good site or series of videos for someone like me to brush up on a lot of the basics and current style? I feel like I'm really behind on how the game works in a lot of ways.

10/10 art. I love when they use old, quirky monsters---and these two were always two of the most out-there monsters.
Just realized that's the Oni Tank card lol

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The other monster is Overdrive, one of the first OCG cards I ever owned when Game Stop (I think it was called Babbage's back then) sold Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh boosters back in the day.

I realize this card is probably a sequel to Pole Position.

Regiruler

So, GAF, is there a good site or series of videos for someone like me to brush up on a lot of the basics and current style? I feel like I'm really behind on how the game works in a lot of ways.

10/10 art. I love when they use old, quirky monsters---and these two were always two of the most out-there monsters.

As a bonus the effect itself is useful, yet one of the most unique we've had in years.

Chicken Race
Field Spell Card
The player with lower LP than their opponent takes no damage.
Once per turn, during either player’s Main Phase: The turn player can pay 1000 LP, then activate 1 of these effects (cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect’s activation).
– Draw 1 card.
– Destroy this card.
– Your opponent gains 1000 LP.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So I gave Zexal another chance...last time I gave up around Episode 15 or so, now I'm on Episode 29.

You know, I can see why a lot of people dislike this show---it pretty much throws previous Yu-Gi-Oh series completely out of the window besides some shallow homages to the original series, and it definitely feels like it's aimed at a younger age group than previous series, and even Arc-V. I imagine the end of Episode 24 where Yuma goes Zexal for the first time probably made a lot of long-time Yu-Gi-Oh fans freak out in disgust.

But honestly...I kind of like it? It's definitely different, but I feel the show has a real sense of energy to it with some interesting designs (Heartland really grew on me as being a cool little setting that's quite unique looking), and some good humor especially with the Yuma and Astral relationship. The animation seems far better than what we get in Arc-V too, and I think the Duels also feel a little more solid and less cheap here than they do in Arc-V. It seems like the people behind Zexal had an idea as to what they wanted the series to be, and didn't flinch from just going all-out with it.

Wiseblade

Spellbook of Judgement? Sure, the card was clearly made obnoxiously powerful to force people to buy newer stuff that could compete. But the rest of the archetype is pure gold. The deck has a flow unlike anything else in the game and manages to be incredibly versatile without being unstoppable and still has some very real vulnerabilities. Quite frankly, it's magical that Konami was able to come up with the archetype and I don't forsee anything like it coming in the future.

Skittles

Man, lose 1 turn seems like it's going to be bullshit. Don't know why they made that card after limiting vanity's. Jar of avarice is probably the most useful card from the crossed souls set though

Wiseblade

At least Konami tried to balance it this time. Lose 1 Turn looks like it will serve as a limiter compared to Vanity's hard shut down. And the clause at the start restricts use as a "close the door behind you" card.

Anyone have any tips on building a Dark Magician deck? It's been several months since I've played, but I saw that there's new support for him and his sister and want to try it out.

Wichu

Anyone have any tips on building a Dark Magician deck? It's been several months since I've played, but I saw that there's new support for him and his sister and want to try it out.

Here's my Dark Magician/Blue-Eyes list:

3 Dark Magician
1 Dark Magician Girl
2 Blue-Eyes White Dragon
1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
3 Elemental HERO Prisma
2 Summoner Monk
2 Armageddon Knight
2 Maiden with Eyes of Blue
3 The Eye of Timaeus
2 Dark Magic Attack
1 Trade-In
1 Raigeki
1 One for One
1 Swing of Memories
1 Soul Charge
3 Dragon's Mirror
2 Reinforcement of the Army
1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
1 Solemn Warning
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Call of the Haunted
2 Raigeki Break
2 Champion's Vigilance

2 Dark Paladin
2 Amulet Dragon
1 Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight
1 Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon
1 First of the Dragons
1 Ebon Illusion Magician
1 Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand
1 Daigusto Emeral
1 Maestroke the Symphony Djinn
1 Blade Armor Ninja
1 Ally of Justice Catastor
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Azure-Eyes Silver Dragon

It's not super competitive, but it can hold its own against non-meta decks and is a blast to play. There's definitely changes I want to make (I need to get a second Emeral for one), but I'm pretty happy with it. I'm waiting for the next wave of support to come over (Eternal Soul etc) before trying a pure build.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

xPlHtnK.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfvo5sqJXdw

rip snatch steal

Regiruler

Because everything floats.

Dark Hole is also at two, and depending on how long you've been absent, Heavy Storm being banned may come as news.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What's my best bet if I want to get back into YGO without going totally broke? I stopped playing in 2007, but I've been tasked with hosting a Yu-Gi-Oh night for the community once a month at my workplace. I dug out my old decks and got completely thrashed; call it pride, but it was a bad feeling to look like a bad player in front of a bunch of teenagers. lol

Basically, I'm trying to decide between:

• buying a couple of booster boxes heavy in archetypes I'm interested in and reselling what I don't want to fund the "chaser" cards in those archetypes
  • buying a structure deck and trying to augment it with recommended cards (within reason)

The big problem seems to be accumulating a good variety of XYZs reasonably; everyone at the event had a full extra deck which blows my mind. Extra deck seems less like a repository for a couple of fusion monsters now and more like a swiss army knife of effect options that you can draw from if you have the monsters to overlay. Nobody there had a cutting edge "meta" deck and everyone was just playing their favorite archetype, so I can probably aim a bit older and cheaper too. Any good options? I have about a month to put a new deck or two together.

Regiruler

What exactly are you trying to build? Decks can range from $20 main deck with an optional extra deck, to $30 main and full extra, all the way up to $150 for something like BA or Nekroz.

The absolute cheapest thing I can think of is UA, which are all commons and rares, and don't really need the extra deck.

Also, if possible I'd recommend going for singles as opposed to boxes.

Fj0823

Oh lord, what archetypes this time has called for these cards to be unbanned?

Many were nerfed with Erratas, like Crush Card Virus and Ring of Destruction.

The others are limited because getting a bunch of monsters out and recover from Raigeki is easy this days

To the poster Above, wait for the Synchro structure deck in august for a complex deck with many options. Synchros are as deadly as any Xyz or Fusion.

If you need a cheap deck that can beat your friends, right now go for RaidRaptor, all their cards are commons and rares. Including the Xyz!

and they are quite good.

Regiruler

Because you're totally not biased or anything.

Synchrons are complicated, especially for a returning player. And it's not going to be out for months.

Fj0823

Because you're totally not biased or anything.

Synchrons are complicated, especially for a returning player. And it's not going to be out for months.

You offend me, my main deck is Galaxy :p 0 Synchros in there. just 4000+ beaters

tumblr_ngwjzdf6bX1s9gsu0o8_250.gif

And Pendulum Yang Zing is quite good for insane Synchros (Granted, it IS complicated as fuck)

Fj0823

Correct.

We should keep "Send from Hand to Grave" effects as standard for all rituals now, like the Nekroz. Or allow them to be ritual OR Pendulum summoned

Otherwise they just become stale cards 99% of the time,

Caffeine

I quit 3 years ago and sold all my cards after playing since the original set came out thinking about coming back. magic which kept my interest for the last 2 years has gotten boring :|

Regiruler

This is the first time in recent memory where two different cards occupy the same set number.

Of course, whether or not they're "different" (arkana has a different serial number) is up for debate.

Skittles

Infernoids are doing a lot better and holy shit volcanics are viable again. Dude at this local shop has taken top 3 every time he's come (aganist top meta decks)

Wiseblade

Infernoids are doing a lot better and holy shit volcanics are viable again. Dude at this local shop has taken top 3 every time he's come (aganist top meta decks)
Wat.

No, seriously. WHAT.

Did Volcanics get new support? It must have been Six-Samurai levels since they weren't exactly starting from a position of strength.

Estellex

I am glad I stumbled upon this thread! I used to play Yugioh in my school and some local tournaments, but I quit just about a year ago.

It is an pretty expensive game and a HUGE time waster. I am surprise a lot of people are still going at it. It is also pretty stressful to keep your decks/cards from being stolen or losing some of your cards in your deck.

I understand it is a hobby, but it is pretty look down upon by a lot of people. I didn't mind at first, but it was one of the things that made me consider quitting due.

Skittles

I can easily see angry magic arrows getting banned for one of the reasons super poly got banned; being unable to so the activation makes it so powerful(you can also use it to stop any chain link that happens at the start of the battle phase). Probably the best support card I've seen for ftk/otk decks in a long time.

Top Bottom