• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Nintendo win you back?

joecanada

I grew up with Nintendo but I don't feel they really grew with me... Last purchase was a snes and no idea how they'd pull me back.
Tried some Wii games really disliked most

bomer

Sick mobile hardware. A 720 phone can be had for a hundred dollars or less. Surely Nintendo can throw that in with a phat battery and decent controls. Also full virtual console library day one for n64 backwards.

They never lost me, but they've done many things over the last few years that have been outright ridiculous from a business standpoint and from the standpoint of gamer relations. However, their games have always been the best in the industry, and I'd be lying if in my younger days of having poor social skills (not that they've improved much) my NES/SNES wasn't one of my best friends growing u[.

I guess in the immortal words of Amir0x, "Without Nintendo, they wouldn't be who they are - that being a legion of sociopaths in a state of perpetual virginhood, blaming the reason society has rejected their piece of genetic excrement on Asperger's Syndrome or something."

Sethista

Everyone talks as if the answer to Nintendo's problems is to release a console that's exactly like the Sony and Microsoft consoles. And to be sure, that's probably the only way third parties start supporting them in significant numbers again. It couldn't deviate functionally from those in any significant way, or it creates hurdles for porting... and that kills the economics of supporting a console nowadays.

But is that really what people want if they stop and think about it? A third console that doesn't bring anything significantly new to the table? The surrender of any ongoing effort to evolve the traditional console model?

I mean, not all Nintendo's ideas work, but they continue to at least explore what a console is and should be, and to keep things interesting. The other consoles, quite frankly, are getting dull.

The point is not to release a console that is the same as the competition, the point is to release a console that has the same level of functionalities plus the nintendo exclusive gimmick, or hardware, or whatever. different does not automatically mean good., or better.

Gatzor

Banned
Nintendo consoles have always been a solid secondary console for me. The first parties aren't released close enough for it to be my primary, but those games are still good and undeniably as charming as ever if not more so. Third parties weren't their strong suit, even on the Wii. Can't imagine what those Nintendo games would look like on a more current console tech wise than the wii U, but hey, they are still beautiful

pretty excited for wooly world, Shin megami x Fire emblem will be...something, and Im sure we will get starfox footage at E3.

Hopefully Nintendo isnt on a downward spiral with the phone and amiibo (as well as the assumedly toy to life initiative that will come with that...who knows) propositions. Those arent my favorite, but as long as they keep up the quality of work in their first parties Im not gonna cry

This is their own danged fault for being such navel-gazing morons. Every Japanese developer and their brother talked about how tough HD development was over the last decade and Nintendo still utterly failed to prepare for it.

Iwata was making statements about how they had understaffed development and didn't expect to need so many resources well after the Wii U's launch. Along with all the rest, that's a screw up of such proportions that if this was a just world he wouldn't only be fired, he wouldn't even be able to find a job as a dish washer anywhere in Kyoto.

Basically. They really need new people in their major positions, or at the very least outsource their shit to others who might actually know how to handle modern videogame aspects (like DeNa, which is a decent first step).

The WiiU required such a gigantic amount of both incompetence and arrogance - especially because they came from dominating a whole generation -, it's hard to imagine that Nintendo's gonna get back on track with the staff responsible for this mess. Them whining about how hard HD development is in like 2013 was pathetic and the WiiU in general makes some of the previously best devs of the industry look like total buffoons. Iwata, despite everyone and their mom foreseeing it, not admitting that the dumb-ass ,,WiiU''-name would confuse people (and that the 3DS already did too) until a year after its launch was just another showcase of how utterly ignorant they became, probably thinking that the success of Wii Sports and New Mario Bros. meant they never had to move a muscle again.

And I don't even want to imagine how hard Iwata must have shat on 3rd party relationships during the last gen period. You come from having two of the most successful vg machines ever and only manage to convince 3rd parties to give you a handful of outdated, overpriced and subpar PS360 ports? How hard do you have to fuck up to let it come to this, really? And that was before the console tanked.

3DS was okay game-wise, I guess. But then they've also dropped the ball recently. They need to lay their handheld- and home console software line together already with NX, with smartphone games being the second pillar. But for that they really need new people, the current staff can't even bring basic OS features out (nor even keep features from previous Nintendo consoles), not to mention proper online infrastructures, while instead focusing on a terrible controller concept not even 1st parties know how to utilize. Under Iwata, I fear they might take the bad route and just turn their whole portfolio into a ,,Smash 4. for handheld/console version'' deal and have another horrid generation with NX. I only got a little optimistic for them maybe doing the right thing now that they've approached DeNa.

- Powerful hardware
- Comparable multimedia and online features to other consoles
- Stop making games with characters from the 80s and 90s.

Fox Mulder

I'm actually likely to bail after the wiiu. Such a fucked piece of hardware and marketing. With Japanese console gaming dying, NoA is insultingly awful for their largest market.

They make great games, but I'm done buying $300 secondary consoles to play a couple of amazing exclusives. I have no interest in handhelds or mobile.

Reset

If their next console is cheap, has no gimmicks, and has great first party support. I'll buy it.
But if their next console is expensive than it at least has to have great 3rd party support, a universal account system so that my digital downloads aren't tied to a console, and have hardware that's at least on par with its competition. Oh and no gimmicks.

I haven't been in the Nintendo camp for years. To win me over the next console is going to need to be more powerful than the XBO/PS4 (I almost require 1080p/60fps), and a serious controller. I've hated their nunchucks and the controller with a screen. I'm also not a fan of motion controls, sensor bar pointing, or Kinect-type interaction. In 2 years they could release that console for a reasonable price and I would consider buying one.

I hear about a lot of issues with Vitrual Console, problems like missing classic games or color/sync/emulation problems. It would be nice if they got all that sorted out so I could play my old SNES games once again.

When I heard the orig Wii was only slightly more powerful than the Game Cube I was pretty disappointed. I got my first 1080p TV only a few months after the release of that console. Even now some games for the XBO/PS4 can't do 1080/60, and that's frustrating enough.

Still love their portable side. Console side has been downhill for a while for me personally. Still some gems but the appeal is less and less each iteration.

Fox Mulder

I hear about a lot of issues with Vitrual Console, problems like missing classic games or color/sync/emulation problems. It would be nice if they got all that sorted out so I could play my old SNES games once again.

The VC is depressing. The retro craze is real, but Nintendo drops the ball.

Shit like putting up the inferior gba port of yoshis island is so sad.

Snakeyes

I don't understand people who want the GameCube 2 and fault Nintendo for not delivering. The Cube had great specs, Metroid, F-Zero, a gimmick-free controller, 3rd party support, Smash at launch window... and it failed. What do people think happened? Something something disc size? I don't get it
They made some glaring mistakes in key areas that were working well for them in the N64 era and allowed Microsoft to steal a significant chunk of their audience as a result.

Terrell

I don't understand people who want the GameCube 2 and fault Nintendo for not delivering. The Cube had great specs, Metroid, F-Zero, a gimmick-free controller, 3rd party support, Smash at launch window... and it failed. What do people think happened? Something something disc size? I don't get it

People were already invested in the PS2 hype machine, and the "kiddy" refrain was at its all-time high thanks to "lolz purple lunchbox". Don't let the positivity towards the Gamecube nowadays fool you, revisionism is quit terrible that way, especially when it comes to Nintendo hardware. People shat on the Gamecube left, right and centre and Nintendo just wasn't in a position to maneuver around Microsoft and Sony capitalizing on that to the fullest extent by securing content that was the antithesis of Nintendo in the minds of gamers. Even today, people still lean on the "kiddie" refrain, because that's how damaging it was during that timeframe, moreso than it ever was with the SNES or N64.

MikeyB

Said it before and will say it again... Make a full on retro machine. Yes, I know that the virtual console is there, but the pricing and selection is sorta garbage. Dolphin exists to satisfy a demand. The demand is larger than the Dolphin user base. Get a proper account system, a tourney system, and let people gift games to friends. Pursue third party license issues and resolve them. Otherwise, there is no point. Sony and PC got the fancy stuff covered.

MikeyB

People were already invested in the PS2 hype machine, and the "kiddy" refrain was at its all-time high thanks to "lolz purple lunchbox". Don't let the positivity towards the Gamecube nowadays fool you, revisionism is quit terrible that way, especially when it comes to Nintendo hardware. People shat on the Gamecube left, right and centre and Nintendo just wasn't in a position to maneuver around Microsoft and Sony capitalizing on that to the fullest extent by securing content that was the antithesis of Nintendo in the minds of gamers. Even today, people still lean on the "kiddie" refrain, because that's how damaging it was during that timeframe, moreso than it ever was with the SNES or N64.

Multiplats looked better on the XBox or PS2. They chose lower specs and it bit them in the ass.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
They haven't lost me on handhelds, but it's going to take some kind of unique third-party support for me to buy their consoles at anything more than bargain bin prices. I've slowly but surely stopped caring about most of their heavy hitters.

Terrell

Multiplats looked better on the XBox or PS2. They chose lower specs and it bit them in the ass.

Multi-plats looked better on those platforms because publishers openly admitted to rushing GC ports. It was a well-documented fact at the time, heavily re-inforced by all the times that wasn't true, like Soul Calibur 2 and RE4 outperforming the PS2 by leaps and bounds.

I can't believe it's 2015 and people still swallow that "low specs" bullshit. It was our first readily apparent example of a higher spec sheet numbers not accurately measuring true performance/output. PS3 and the Cell processor debacle in the following generation was another.

Well, to be honest, I just grew tired of their traditional IP's. I loved Mario. I loved Donkey Kong. I loved Kirby. And I recognize that the games they make today in those franchises are really good, sometimes great; but I just don't get excited to play another Nintendo platformer anymore. With Zelda, I just never got too heavily invested in the series - I'm somebody who wants an engaging stories in most games, especially something like a Zelda game, and I just find them lacking in story and character (Majora's Mask is my favorite though). And unfortunately, I didn't play enough Smash Bros. and Mario Kart when I still owned Nintendo consoles to become invested enough to buy a Wii or Wii U just for them.

So honestly, Nintendo just doesn't make games, generally speaking, that interest...well I should say excite me enough to buy their console. If they had a more diverse offering, more things like Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness, it would be enough to buy a console from them. And funnily enough, I would probably buy stuff like Mario and DK because it's not like I don't sill like their games, just not enough for a $200-400 console - plus prices on their games don't drop much so waiting doesn't change a lot.

I don't want Nintendo to stop making games they are great at - namely gameplay focused, artfully crafted games with vibrant and family friendly aesthetics. What I want is Nintendo to make new IP's, and to make more mature games to compliment their normal slate. Despite some problems I have with Splatoon, I think it's a great step.

Coda

Multi-plats looked better on those platforms because publishers openly admitted to rushing GC ports. It was a well-documented fact at the time, heavily re-inforced by all the times that wasn't true, like Soul Calibur 2 and RE4 outperforming the PS2 by leaps and bounds.

I can't believe it's 2015 and people still swallow that "low specs" bullshit. It was our first readily apparent example of a higher spec sheet numbers not accurately measuring true performance/output. PS3 and the Cell processor debacle in the following generation was another.

Yeah I remember playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time on GC. It felt next gen graphically than anything I had seen previously on the PS2.

As far as retro is concerned I don't want an HD console that can play retro games. It just never feels the same. Imagine Nintendo making a console to compete with the big two again and really pushing the idea again of them having the best hardware?

I know it's crazy to think about but I want them to have another SNES like system where it was clear who had the better graphics.

A disaster sales-wise, yes. But with a healthy library of fantastic first-party software.

Also, Nintendo should be careful and not pull a Sega. Their premature ending of the Saturn and failed transition to the Dreamcast were the last nails in Sega's coffin. I'm not saying that killing the Wii U now will have the same effect, but such a decision might just alienate some of Nintendo's ever-shrinking fanbase.

I was very obviously talking about a disaster in the financial sense, which is why four years of support is enough for the system.

Your Saturn analogy is a horrible one. That console was killed by Sega in North America within two years (it received a small handful of very low-print titles in 1998). 2012-2016 for Wii U is not even in the same ballpark as the Saturn. For a failed console, that's a tremendous amount of support and people who think that killing Wii U after four years would be too early are clearly unaware of how bad this system has performed in the marketplace compared to every other home console from Nintendo.

I love my Wii U but let's be realistic here: the system has been a disaster for Nintendo and the sooner they can move away from it, the better.

AgeEighty

The point is not to release a console that is the same as the competition, the point is to release a console that has the same level of functionalities plus the nintendo exclusive gimmick, or hardware, or whatever. different does not automatically mean good., or better.

OK, and when that console--the one that does everything the competition does, plus has Nintendo's additional desired functionality--is announced at $799.99 or whatever, how well do you think it will sell then?

No, different does not automatically mean good or better. But always doing everything exactly the same, never experimenting or evolving, is automatically bad or worse.

Said it before and will say it again... Make a full on retro machine. Yes, I know that the virtual console is there, but the pricing and selection is sorta garbage. Dolphin exists to satisfy a demand. The demand is larger than the Dolphin user base. Get a proper account system, a tourney system, and let people gift games to friends. Pursue third party license issues and resolve them. Otherwise, there is no point. Sony and PC got the fancy stuff covered.

I'm actually...ok with this. In fact, I like it.

As to the OP...Nintendo hasn't really "lost" me permanently. But they do need to come with something more compelling in their next offering. The Wii is a console I only considered buying after it went on fire sale in 2011ish. WiiU...same thing. I won't bother until I can get one ultra cheap since I really only want to play maybe 5 games on it, tops. They need to figure out a way to draw more people in to the beginning/middle rather than just joining at the end. Games is the obvious answer. 3rd party support. If they make that happen I'd say the NX has a good shot at being reasonably successful. Making it a great retro console too couldn't hurt. The VC is garbage.

BigDug13

Nintendo lost me once they left the tech race and started making last gen console specs which alienated all third party devs. I mean even guys that want to bring games to their console like Project Cars are struggling. Mainly because they had old tech as a console. And worse, it's not even cheap. It's nearly as expensive as the higher spec consoles.

At least the GameCube was more powerful than PS2 and still had plenty of multiplatform ports.

$300 for a "me too" console that only plays Nintendo games and uses last gen tech to alienate all third parties is only semi appealing.

Honestly, the only way I would ever play any of their games is if they become 3rd party publishers, and even then their games would be low priority to me (Splatoon so close to Witcher 3 and DMC4:SE, yeah, no Splatoon for a while)

evanmisha

Yeah, no. The Cube definitely out-spec'd the PS2.

But the GameCube still tanked. And the Wii, despite its lower specs, flew off the shelves. And people want Nintendo to do the opposite of what that taught them. Again, I don't get it.

People buy a ton of Mario games, so Nintendo makes more. "Ugh, more Mario games." Nintendo publishes F-Zero GX and it doesn't sell particularly well, so Nintendo doesn't follow it up with a sequel. "Where the hell is F-Zero?" Nintendo makes a higher spec console than their competitors, and it doesn't sell. Nintendo makes a lower spec console and they can't make enough of the things to satiate demand. The Wii U was certainly a misread of the market, but I don't think it was the ultimate misstep some claim it to be. They followed up the most successful home console of all time with a comparable sequel. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me. Nintendo's biggest issue is and has long been one of public perception, in my opinion.

With that said, I believe the most valuable lesson this generation has for the big three is that consumers are becoming more and more savvy to hardware strength, and they're making a clear association between it and value. The internet has given rise to easily accessible, ultra high quality comparison videos, and that means the arms race can only have one winner. Nintendo chose to abstain from this completely, and while it once led to an outstanding success, it more recently ended in a grueling loss. Whether Nintendo attributes that even partially to the spec difference will be obvious before long, but I don't think it outlandish to assume that NX will be closer to its competition than its predecessors were.

Bioshocker

I've never been a Nintendo fan to start with, but I was always curious about their next thing. After the Wii fad and now Amiibo I've realized I am not their target audience. At all. I'm in this for games, not plastic toys.

Terrell

I've never been a Nintendo fan to start with, but I was always curious about their next thing. After the Wii fad and now Amiibo I've realized I am not their target audience. At all. I'm in this for games, not plastic toys.

Sorry, I'm confused... what does one have to do with the other if you don't want it to? Nintendo still makes games.

This is like me saying Sony and Microsoft lost me because of Xbox's television boner, Powers and Wonderbook. The only difference being that in spite of everything, amiibo has found an audience and become a bigger success than those efforts have been combined.

They needed as much 3rd party support as ps4 and stronger hardware than sony and better 1st party support.

Right now all they offer is 1st party and even in that department they arent on top anymore, imo.

MikeyB

Because, like me, many people didn't actually look at the specs, but simply the games. SSX games looked blurrier, the GTAs weren't there, nor Morrowind, nor the Burnout series.

Unsurprisingly, I didn't investigate why in the intervening years. The Wii simply reinforced that Nintendo "gave up".

AgeEighty

Right now all they offer is 1st party and even in that department they arent on top anymore, imo.

So which first party is on top? "A little sparse this year" Sony, or Microsoft, who has said they'll have first party stuff at E3 but who haven't made any announcements yet?

Neither of them are even close.

Answers like these reinforce my opinion that Nintendo simply can't win with a certain demographic/age group. They could hand free blowjobs with Bayo 3, Witcher 4 and even buying Sony itself and we would still read stuff like this. They can't win in a fight when only a stereotype of you is allowed to compete.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I understand it from a game library perspective. A lot of people only like buying one console due to lack of time and/or funds. If Nintendo puts out an equal powered system on similar architecture as Sony/MS it would get most of the third part ports. Thus they could just have one system and play their Nintendo favorites and most of the big third party games.

But yeah, from a financial stand point it's probably not feasible for Nintendo as there hardware doesn't seem to sell at price points on par with what Sony and MS systems do.

I for one will be glad when internet stops sucking in many places around the world and media moves mostly to streaming. As someone who's not a collector any more, and seldom replays, rewatches etc. anything I much prefer that to having to buy a bunch of dedicated hardware and physical media.

IISANDERII

When i buy a system, i look forward to buying all the games I've missed out on. But I expect games that have been out for a good while to be deeply discounted. Nintendon't.

LocalE

They never lost me.
The Wii is one of my favorite consoles ever, and I've owned a bunch including pretty much every Nintendo console and handheld console. The NES was the first console I bought with my own money.

The games they have been producing since the start of the Wii generation have been some of the best games they've ever made.

I slept on the Wii for a bit, but loved it so much I decided to be all in on the Wii U day one. And the software they've put out for it so far is outstanding.

Well really it would be the place I'd play all my games on. So not only a strong first party but also a very strong third party.
A dedicated profile system so I could buy games and have the license associated with that and not just some one and done.
A Metroid game that was more like Super/Zero mission.
More Awesome/unique games like Eternal Darkness.

Gamecube was the last time I really invested into a Nintendo system.

muteki

Give me a handheld with a screen equivalent to or better than the vita's and I'd be back pretty quick. And an account system I'm not terrified to put money in. And a decent library of old downloadable games.

Really just make a Nintendo Vita and I'd be happy.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I sound like a broken record yet again....but when FF 7 and Metal Gear went to PS 1 and not any Nintendo console back when they launched...that was the beginning of the end for me.

I barely got any N64 and Gamecube games...but bought a ton of Wii games. It really was a 3 system home for us back then. Go figure.

Fast forward to today and account systems, what friends n family play, offerings...and I dont really know what they could do. I am about to finally pull the trigger on 3D World...and I got the Wii U when it launched. I have bought so many PS4 games in the past 2 months....and yet I am still hesitating on 3D World. At this point its not even about price anymore. Just like I dont really like JRPG anymore...I may just dont like Nintendo games, consoles anymore.

Going back to traditional controllers may help for me. I chose the N64, GC and Wii in spite of using Nintendo still cartridges, tiny discs, no multi media playback. I have no problem with the Gamepad...but I assumed eventually ppl could use more than 1 with the system with multi player games. So a game like 3D World will always have 1 player with the pad and everyone else have to fend for themselves for the input they wanna use if 1 person wanted to use the gamepad.

Bio

I doubt it, they've lost me since the N64.

1. It would take a hardware focus more on less gimmicky stuff. Yes, I realize a lot of Nintendo fans love the 'innovation' or whatever and people love things like motion controls, touch controls, wacky controllers, etc, but I don't. I want a regular-ass controller and a powerful machine, not the least of which because...

2. Third party games. They would need to focus on these, something they haven't done adequately since the SNES.

That may sound boring to some Nintendo fans, that's fine, it doesn't have to change, I'll just stay a Playstation gamer, but that is what it'd take for me to go back to Nintendo. Yeah there are a couple Wii U games I really want to play, just like there tend to be a couple games on each Nintendo console I really want to play, but I can't justify buying an entire console for just a few games.

The day I sold my Wii to some dude in a parking lot was the last day I'll ever own another Nintendo product. I feel that I have completely moved away from who they are targeting at this point. I realize that I may miss out on a game or two that I would otherwise play over the years, but those are the breaks.

Chinbo37

Games games games.

I loved my gamecube. Soul calibur 2, f zero, mario party, mario kart etC.

No f zero on the wii or wii u. No third party support. just needs more games. I cannot support 1st party only (well still want a Wii u but won't be a day 1 buyer of anything unless there is more games )

Jay Sosa

Yeah, no. The Cube definitely out-spec'd the PS2.

But the GameCube still tanked. And the Wii, despite its lower specs, flew off the shelves. And people want Nintendo to do the opposite of what that taught them. Again, I don't get it..

The GC tanked because it had to go against the most successful console of all times. The Wii flew of the shelves because it was a so called must have, people wanted to play Wii Sports; simple as that. After they got bored with that they went on to the next fad.

Sadist

I'm always with Nintendo.

My only problem this generation is that I want to use the system more, that's my biggest gripe with the current situation. And that they can't seem to decide on how to tackle their VC catalogue.

As for games, I just hope Nintendo will go with the two formfactor/next systems should be brothers idea (a console and handheld option) so they can release their games and they'll be playable on both. It would solve some problems on the software front.

Barzul

3rd party support. The only way they get me. I need to be able to play FIFA, Witcher, Arkham, StarWars series on my Nintendo console. Barring that I'll just stick with my Xbox-PC combo.

Top Bottom