• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ignorance is bliss when it comes to the game industry (essay topic)

I know there are some people out there who enjoy the inside look at the makings of a game sometimes. They like the whole behind the scenes look, and I thought I did too because it made me feel closer to understanding the people behind the creative process. Years and years of consuming media and coverage of the game industry though, I feel I have come to a conclusion for myself: Ignorance was bliss. Has anyone experienced this mindset recently?

I feel I enjoyed a greater variety of games, and I enjoyed the games I was playing more when I didn't have knowledge about how a game is created, or what it takes to make a game. That might sound selfish of me, but it's not like I want to be part of the industry, I enjoyed being a consumer. Years of visiting game forums though ,you can't escape the topics regarding the budgets of games, sales numbers, who is responsible for shitty ports, or poorly developed games. Some of this knowledge might help make some smarter decisions with my purchases, but it also detracts and makes me depressed about the state my favorite past time is in.

In recent years, on one end gaming seems healthy, we got indies making great games, we got PS4 and Xbox One selling fairly well to ensure that there is demand for game consoles still, and we got kickstarter success stories for games I grew up loving to play.

Then on the other end though, it looks like gaming is not quite so healthy. Budgets are skyrocketing, and you can't count on a game ever reaching its full potential without a massive budget, and massive budgets are harder and harder to get when big publishers are so risk averse. When I was growing up, it seemed like games were created where developers were able to push the limits of hardware, and had to work within their boundaries. Most games these days don't even attempt to push hardware, and I feel like we're going to reach a brick wall because necessary budget for better visuals is going to exceed potential sales or demand for such a game. Developers won't be throttled by hardware available, but by if it's feasible within the budget.

Then we got the tragic downfall of Japanese games (tragic to me at least). While I still find enjoyment in the games that Japan puts out, with some exceptions, the future for Japanese games is bleak to me. I grew up with Japanese games, whether I realized it or not at the time. Konami put out some of the best games of my childhood, and we already know that story. Capcom has to tip toe development decisions, because it seems like a few more failures on consoles will send them to the mobile market as well. I find it to be a sad state of affairs when a publisher can't even justify funding the development, and publishing of one of their own games (referring to Street Fighter V). Deals like that have happened before in the past, but not with one of the most recognizable game franchises in history.

Knowing these facts often leads me on a thought process where I feel I HAVE to buy games, because I have to support those developers I love, right? That sucks when I think about it though. I shouldn't have to hold that responsibility. Publishers use it as a tactic sometimes though to push sales even, where if someone doesn't buy a game on day one "well, you might not get a sequel", or in my case as a Wii U owner "you might not get DLC if you more people don't buy this". That fucking sucks, and puts stress on my mind that I would rather not hear.

Even if I wasn't kinda bummed about the larger picture when it comes to game publishers, ignorance is bliss when it comes to indies as well. You hear about a game being made by a small team, or one guy, and I like a lot of people couldn't help but want to admire and hear more about these people. Sadly sometimes though they are just people, and sometimes people can be assholes. I would've been so much happier if I had never been aware who was behind some games sometimes, because I am robbing myself of enjoying the game. However as a prime example, I cannot in good conscious bring myself to ever play Fez because of how much of a dickhead that Phil Fish sounds like he is, and I will not support him now. That might sound like a decision I have every right to make, but I don't feel happy about it. I don't like feeling annoyed with the guy, and I would have been better off ignoring the internet, and just playing the game, but since it's hard to avoid certain things sometimes when you visit game forums, it just enters my awareness anyway.

It's not just the world of game development that seems to have ruined some of my enjoyment too. Unwittingly, I feel my opinions sometimes get molded into something based on something I read, or another person's opinion without even realizing it. I end up deciding "well, the majority says this about a game, so I should just ignore it". That doesn't always happen, hell I just beat a game recently that was outright banned on gaf, but I still enjoyed. It's not always a 1 to 1 reaction either. I'll find I'll despise things just because it's popular with people online. For a long time, I thought it was just because I didn't like things that are usually popular, but that's not true. I realize when I was younger, I loved plenty of games that are considered hugely popular in retrospect. It's just new stuff now that I don't like that's popular.

Maybe this is just a symptom of being an adult, and I feel like some people here might even say that, but I don't think that it is. I think it's a symptom of being a "hardcore" gamer, where I consume it so much that I feel passion for it I guess. I also know plenty of adults who get enjoyment out of games while still being exposed to the same information and media as me. The difference is, they don't keep track of the industry as closely as me. I still get great enjoyment out of some games, but learning about the development team, or what other people think often has not seemed to help in the long run. I find I enjoy games a lot more when it's something I experience, that I felt I discovered. Naturally when I have those experiences I want to share them, and I go on a path of trying to find out more about it, but I'm starting to think that's a mistake.

I don't have a definitive conclusion on what the answer is, other than maybe avoid forums all together, which is a difficult one. I love talking about video games, but I have no friends to share them with which is why I have gravitated towards forums a lot in years past. That being said, how can one avoid too much insider information in the process? That stuff has been toxic to my enjoyment of games, and I feel I can't be the only one.

CHC

It extends to everything beyond gaming, "seeing how the sausage is made" so to speak.

Used to work in high end clothing business and love to dress well, now I'm changing careers and I hate fashion - that's what a decade of immersing yourself of the highs and lows of an industry will do.

crinale

It extends to everything beyond gaming, "seeing how the sausage is made" so to speak.

Used to work in high end clothing business and love to dress well, now I'm changing careers and I hate fashion - that's what a decade of immersing yourself of the highs and lows of an industry will do.

Yeah I agree with OP, and the above too.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I feel the innocence again when I look at indie. Axiom Verge just showed up one day, and I bought it like I was a clueless kid in the 90s again, and found it to be magical.

Also I think I'd figure out the shrink of Japanese gaming even if I didn't follow the industry. The sequels to games I loved just don't come any more. That stings whether I know the reasons why or not.

Also getting into game development myself... Not talking about the industry side, just the creation of a game: I'm even more in awe that these games get made at all.

BGMNTS

It extends to everything beyond gaming.

Pretty much this.

Knowledge can actually be the worst thing.

Learning about life has definitely made me worse for wear.

But in regards to OP you are correct indeed.
I try my best not to delve too much into industry news, rumours, game previews, demos etc etc

Humdinger

I have the same thought, sometimes -- "maybe I'd enjoy games more if I didn't read forums." The most recent example was how my interest in Witcher 3 was dampened by all the talk of resolution, framerate, and differences between platforms.

I think sometimes it's better to avoid forum discussion of games prior to their release. I still enjoy talking about games once they have been released, and I'm playing them. That's when forums are really enjoyable. You're playing alongside other people, in a virtual sense, and having a discussion about your experiences of the game.

That's different than talking a game to death before it even comes out, though. All the talk of visual differences, all the hype, all the critiques, all the pre-release info ... it can really deflate my enthusiasm, sometimes. I think I'd be better off going in relatively fresh, rather than loaded up with information about the game and other people's opinions/expectations.

Nyoro SF

I think I disagree. By delving heavily into the game industry I have discovered so much and appreciated so much more than when I didn't know.

For an easy example... in a world where I am deliberately ignorant, Skullgirls is just another throwaway indie title. In my current world where I view the industry on a higher level I now have a much higher appreciation for that title and can appreciate the subtle nuances and systems and features.

Feep

Banned
98% of indies are kind, passionate, hardworking people.
Even if they can be a little hipster-y sometimes.

You've chosen one of like three indie dickheads in the world to focus on.

Yeah, that's definitely true, and I thought about that before I made this. I can't help but feel the same when it comes to movies...was the biggest Bruce Willis action movie fan growing up, hell i even got some enjoyment out of Hudson Hawk...but recently, you can't avoid certain headlines, and god he such an asshole. I don't think I care to see any of his movies again. Also, look at how much Tom Cruise's popularity with audiences seemed to diminish when they started to see how crazy and stupid he was. But damn, he makes good movies.

Well I didn't "focus" on anything, I used it as an example, because it is something that effected me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I remember one GAF comment about that indie game movie "Gameloading" - "why does everyone have purple hair?"

It was kind of true actually haha.

Gsnap

The more I learn about the industry the more I dislike it. But the more I learn about game design the more I can appreciate things I never did before.

So yeah, I find it best to stay away from the business side as well as I can and just stick to the academic/design side

The more I learn about the industry the more I dislike it. But the more I learn about game design the more I can appreciate things I never did before.

So yeah, I find it best to stay away from the business side as well as I can and just stick to the academic/design side

If you're into the design aspect of it, then I can see how you can appreciate that, and maybe that's why some people want to be in the industry.

One thing I didn't touch on in the OP that I wanted to was how I can't help but think...who the hell would want to work in the game industry in it's current state sometimes? Another thing I feel I have become aware of in learning more about game development, is that it seems like it's the most thankless job. I still think some games made are some of the most beautiful pieces of work out there, and some are expertly made and are works of art...

Do any of the people behind the development at a big studio get the praise for that though? do they get the credit for work they did to create that piece of art. You could say some people who work in film have just as thankless of a career, but some at least do get the credit and wealth deserved. In games, not nearly as often, and even if someone does make their name known, I feel they are not nearly as well compensated for their work as they should be.

It depends on how it's presented. I really love the Iwata Asks, for example, or the video documentaries that the God of War games have, straight from the mouths of the developers.

Gsnap

If you're into the design aspect of it, then I can see how you can appreciate that, and maybe that's why some people want to be in the industry.

One thing I didn't touch on in the OP that I wanted to was how I can't help but think...who the hell would want to work in the game industry in it's current state sometimes? Another thing I feel I have become aware of in learning more about game development, is that it seems like it's the most thankless job. I still think some games made are some of the most beautiful pieces of work out there, and some are expertly made and are works of art...

Do any of the people behind the development at a big studio get the praise for that though? do they get the credit for work they did to create that piece of art. You could say some people who work in film have just as thankless of a career, but some at least do get the credit and wealth deserved. In games, not nearly as often, and even if someone does make their name known, I feel they are not nearly as well compensated for their work as they should be.

Very true, but development falls on the industry side of things. At least part of it. It's business. But design can exist in a vacuum. "How does his work?" "Why?" "How does this fit into the design space?" I study the design in order to better appreciate the games themselves. Which broadens my horizons so I appreciate games more.

It depends on how it's presented. I really love the Iwata Asks, for example, or the video documentaries that the God of War games have, straight from the mouths of the developers.

For as incompetent Iwata often seems to some for his business decisions, having been a developer himself, he seems to legitimately care about the game creation process and those who do it, which I think is why we have series like Iwata asks. He may not always set Nintendo on the path to profits, but he does care about making games which is why I'm glad he's in charge.

Amani

Heh, ironic how I just read this after coming from the Sonic Investor Day thread.

Personally, while it is depressing as an consumer to learn about the business side of things ;especially how screwed over employees can get (dunno if anyone posted about it in this thread, but "The Pizza Party Where Everyone Got Fired" article Kotaku ran back in February comes to mind), I still prefer to learn as much as I can about it. Like someone posted earlier, there's PR/business bullshit nearly everywhere.

Even from within the sausage factory I found myself trying to avoid knowing too much about how other sausages were made. I've spoken to devs who would "love to work on a Zelda" game for example, but I have steered clear of working on my most beloved series because I know - for a fact - that working on an IP irrevocably "ruins" the playing experience of that series.

You start to see the missed opportunities and compromises. Not as in "oh wouldn't it have been nice" type stuff but actually knowing "oh they cut this bit because of such and such" or "I know they were trying that but ended up only managing this". It's very difficult to enjoy a game with all that knowledge in your brain.

Even speaking to people who have worked on or are working on beloved IPs I kind of want them to shut up and let me dream a little, to let me believe it can be different. But it usually isn't.

Sigh.

Even from within the sausage factory I found myself trying to avoid knowing too much about how other sausages were made. I've spoken to devs who would "love to work on a Zelda" game for example, but I have steered clear of working on my most beloved series because I know - for a fact - that working on an IP irrevocably "ruins" the playing experience of that series.

You start to see the missed opportunities and compromises. Not as in "oh wouldn't it have been nice" type stuff but actually knowing "oh they cut this bit because of such and such" or "I know they were trying that but ended up only managing this". It's very difficult to enjoy a game with all that knowledge in your brain.

Even speaking to people who have worked on or are working on beloved IPs I kind of want them to shut up and let me dream a little, to let me believe it can be different. But it usually isn't.

Sigh.

Yeah, not exactly the same, but even as a teenager, that's why I never accepted a job at a fastfood joint. God knows how many times I probably had eaten at one, and I did not want to risk already adding experience to my mind of what potentially is fucked up that goes on at one of those places.

I always joke about this, but I truly don't go to Panera Bread, because I had an old friend who worked at one. I liked the guy just fine, but I knew he wasn't very clean... I didn't feel comfortable eating anything he touched, even a frozen pizza, and I felt so bad for those people at Panera he prepared sandwiches for, lol.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
im always jealuos of my friend who couldnt care any less for gaming discussions, message boards and whatnot. while the whole world shits on game x, he just plays it and enjoys it alot becasue he doesnt get pointed out the flaws everywhere hes looking. i guess thats the customer companys make games for.

Top Bottom