• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

ValfarHL

Fuck yeah, I just think I got The Witcher 3 for free..

Bought a Asus GTX 970 Black on a discount about a week ago. With it followed a code for Witcher 3. A few days ago I bought a used MSI 970 4G, just to see if it clocked better.

It sure did, so I asked the webstore (komplett.no) to return the Asus. I get a full refund, and get to keep the code.

45 days 100% open buy on that store in Norway, as long as the packaging is intact.

Should I feel bad? :(

Edit: The Asus had minor coil whine, so I guess I shouldn't feel all bad. :p

Bought a Asus GTX 970 Black on a discount about a week ago. With it followed a code for Witcher 3. A few days ago I bought a used MSI 970 4G, just to see if it clocked better.

It sure did, so I asked the webstore (komplett.no) to return the Asus. I get a full refund, and get to keep the code.

45 days 100% open buy on that store in Norway, as long as the packaging is intact.

You monster.

Chinbo37

I'm about to get a 970 with no VAT so don't feel bad

how do you change it if its capping you at 60 fps

If the game doesn't have refresh rate options, you first have set your desktop to the resolution and refresh rate you wanna play.

So for example when I was playing X-men Origins: Wolverine I had set my desktop resolution to 4k 120Hz before launching the game. Otherwise it would just default to 60Hz.

Edit: If that doesn't work then the game probably has a framerate cap that you have to disable first.

wazoo

I have concerns with my fan on my 970.

I did a profile in GPU Tweak/MSI Afterburner/EVGA precison

The thing is that it reports 26% usage on idle which should be fine, but the reported RPM seems higher (now it is running at 2600RPM, yesterday it was more than 3500RPM)

Any idea ?

Just sent EVGA an email about possibly getting this code and the TW3 code for a TItan X purchased on April 27th.

I can only hope they see the reason of giving out these codes to people who buy things above a 980 or 970. :/

1st time buying a video card from Asus and I have seen comments mentioning how EVGA cards are usually the superior products when it comes to reliability, performance, and quality. Should I have regrets buying a Strix edition card or should I not even worry about it?

Thanks!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1st time buying a video card from Asus and I have seen comments mentioning how EVGA cards are usually the superior products when it comes to reliability, performance, and quality. Should I have regrets buying a Strix edition card or should I not even worry about it?

Thanks!
Don't worry it's just brand loyalists. I'd get a GB/ASUS before an eVGA since it's usually $10-$20 cheaper with a better cooler. eVGA were the ones who reused a cooler on these for a different card and people got all huffy about it too. And then there's Precision X.

Not infallible, but overall the best regarded GPU company still.

wazoo

I still do not understand how my 970 works.

Sensors reports 30% Fan speed, which is ok and in accordance with GpuTweeak/MSI/etc.

But the RPM sensor in MSI reports 3500RPM (which correspond to the noise I hear too).

It seems the card is lost on what the real speed should be correponding to the fan % .

here's mine! ;)

valley2015-05-0922-38yeuc5.jpg

holygeesus

Banned
Does Nvidia now support SLI on the x4 slot? For example, could I have one 980 in the x16 and one in the x4 and have SLI work? If so, what would the performance impact be?

Does Nvidia now support SLI on the x4 slot? For example, could I have one 980 in the x16 and one in the x4 and have SLI work? If so, what would the performance impact be?

I think SLI works on any compatible PCIe slot configuration as long as you connect the SLI bridge.

Apparently the perfomance drop can be considerable in x4, but fairly minimal in x8. The ideal configuration is of course x16/x16 and you should go after that when possible, but x16/x8 isn't bad. x16/x4 can be more dicey. I saw a performance comparison once somewhere.

holygeesus

Banned
Thanks. I've decided to wait it out and just overclock the heck out of my single card. Instead of risking it, I will just do an all-in-one upgrade when my CPU finally becomes obsolete.

FaintDeftone

Looks like Best Buy is screwing over 970 and 980 buyers with the free game promo. They'll give you Batman but not Witcher 3 as well. The promo is both games; wtf Best Buy? I almost bought a 970 there and grabbed it with in-store pickup but their price is higher and they won't give you both free games.

Blitzhex

My 970 Strix VRM sometimes reaches 109c while playing Witcher 3. I know the strix doesn't cool VRM very well, but does anyone know the max temp and max safe temp for these VRM chips? GPU-Z says I have Samsung VRM.

M.D

Hmm, did this test again to check for any artifacts since I saw (what I thought was) some artifacts in Dying Light in one specific spot a few hours ago, but it's all good

This is my score with a small over clock (+85 GPU clock, +325 Memory clock)

Vl7EfrM.jpg

This is what I got a few months back with no overclock

akLWusz.jpg

What does it mean by "Time measuring inaccurate. Results are invalid"? Anything I should be worried about?

Edit: NVM, ran the rest again and it says valid now
For some reason it didn't run the demo part the first time around, think it was because of that

Got a very slightly better score as well

jfoul

I bought a reference EVGA GTX980 for $286.21 during Prime Day. Figured I would pick this up and wait for the 16nm/HBM2 cards in 2016. Surprisingly, this card performs very well for a reference design. It's fully stable under Firestrike, Valley, Furmark, and hours of playing Witcher 3 with the below settings.

Base Core: 1326
Boost Core: 1456
Memory: @ 7692
Voltage: MV+6
Temp Full Load: 72c
Fan Speed (custom curve): 75% full load
Firestrike Score: 13077

Since I got the card at such a great price, I'm thinking about buying the EVGA Hybrid Cooler (400-HY-H980-B1) to try and push it even further. This is my first experience with a reference design, and I'm seriously impressed. Going forward, I'm probably just going to buy reference designs and water cool.

saxman717

Banned
I'm from a 580, and was purchasing MGSV anyway so the card is basically $450 to me. Can't wait!

Same --- cancelled my old PS4 MGSV preorder --- will probably look and run even better on PC with this card

Now to look up some good OC strategies to push the limits......

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
...I think the G1 970 I have does 1600 Boost stable
I bought a reference EVGA GTX980 for $286.21 during Prime Day. Figured I would pick this up and wait for the 16nm/HBM2 cards in 2016. Surprisingly, this card performs very well for a reference design. It's fully stable under Firestrike, Valley, Furmark, and hours of playing Witcher 3 with the below settings.

Base Core: 1326
Boost Core: 1456
Memory: @ 7692
Voltage: MV+6
Temp Full Load: 72c
Fan Speed (custom curve): 75% full load
Firestrike Score: 13077

Since I got the card at such a great price, I'm thinking about buying the EVGA Hybrid Cooler (400-HY-H980-B1) to try and push it even further. This is my first experience with a reference design, and I'm seriously impressed. Going forward, I'm probably just going to buy reference designs and water cool.
I'd pass on the hybrid, there is almost no performance gain with a much better cooler unless you are going to bios volt mod it.

Is the 970 still a good/safe buy for gaming today and future?

1080p with all the bells and whistles.

Might delay my 4K purchase and go for a big screen 1080p TV for the moment. So there's probably no point getting a 980TI.

970 or spend the extra $300(AUD) on a 980?

MGrant

Might delay my 4K purchase and go for a big screen 1080p TV for the moment. So there's probably no point getting a 980TI.

With a 980 at 1080p, you'd be able to crank a few options up from high to ultra in The Witcher 3 without losing 60 fps, but the difference there wouldn't be worth the extra $300 from my perspective. If you plan to step up to 1440p or 144 Hz within the next year or so, though, it might be worth it if you have the extra money.

Mohonky

I bought a 970 Gigabyte G1 from pccasegear a bit over a week ago. I had a 670 before, but I went from a 16:9 1080p screen (1920x1080) to a 21:9 1080p monitor, which is 2560x1080. I figured my 670 wouldnt quite cut it with the extra resolution.

I still basically doubled my performance in games like Witcher at the same settings but I can also bump shit up to Ultra everything and still maintain pretty much 60 with some drops to 50's. Thats at stock speeds, I was able to OC it and maintain near 60 at all times.

Go the 970, with nvidia going with 20nm and HBM on their next cards, better to make an incremental upgrade now and save that money toward the next range of cards that look like they'll be a big increase in performance rather than another incremental.

RS4-

Ok finally decided I might as well grab a 970 now since I have extra money around.

MSI 970 or the ACX 2.0? I wanted to get the Gigabyte G1 but its more expensive than the previous two that I mentioned.

edit - don't know if I want to wait almost a year for Pascal or whatever.

glaurung

Ok finally decided I might as well grab a 970 now since I have extra money around.

MSI 970 or the ACX 2.0? I wanted to get the Gigabyte G1 but its more expensive than the previous two that I mentioned.

I have no idea if there is any real difference between the two cards. I have the MSI 970 and it's been awesome since day one.

I'd go MSI. In fact, I did, and I'm very happy with it.

What's your current card?

They're both good, but I think the ACX 2.0 on the SSC and FTW+ might be a bit better at cooling. It also doesn't have that part that goes off the side of the PCB, IIRC.

Top Bottom