• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

The sick triceratops was awesome and still holds up today. A scene like that where there is direct interaction between people and animals can be much more effective when done with animatronics. It also helps the actor get involved with the scene.

Funny story, so I found out today that I've been confusing the utter hell out of one of my friends about The Lost World and Jurassic World. I was saying "mean things" about The Lost World on Twitter, that I didn't feel like it personally worked as a Jurassic Park movie and so on. He saw this, and replied with things like "I'm so confused, are you serious?" then posted a sad face or two. I was confused by this myself, wondering if he was just a big fan of the movie and was bummed that I didn't like it.

Today I post some of the positive impressions on Facebook, and he said "so, the movie's actually good? That's a relief, you had me thinking it was going to be bad." I responded, confused, asking him how on earth I've led him to such a thought considering how optimistic I've been about it, and then he referenced the tweets... I made about The Lost World. That's when he realized that he had a major brainfart and was confusing the two titles.

I guess they could have just titled Jurassic World as The Lost World U.

Anyway, here's some stuff I got over the weekend, got the can from Walmart and the mug from Universal. Already had the Bluray, just felt like squeezing it in.

BN03val.jpg

Oh, and the promised merch pics I took from a gift shop at Universal (all the shops had all the same stuff)

Those water bottles in the top pic were EIGHTEEN FUCKING DOLLARS so I just got the coffee mug... which was still $16 =\

Superflat

Those water bottles in the top pic were EIGHTEEN FUCKING DOLLARS so I just got the coffee mug... which was still $16 =\

I would have only picked up the mug too, it looks pretty damn nice!

The sick triceratops was awesome and still holds up today. A scene like that where there is direct interaction between people and animals can be much more effective when done with animatronics. It also helps the actor get involved with the scene.

This blew my mind. It straight up looked real when all the puppeteers were out of sight underneath the Triceratops.

I like it. I got it because it's more practical as I drink coffee daily, but at the same time I'll probably never use it regardless.

Superflat

Might have gone with a t-shirt too but it looks so damn plain. it's a blue JW logo on a blue shirt. Gah.

And the grey part of the logo isn't even changed when it's put on a grey shirt. Who the fuck "designed" these? I put them in quotes because the "designer" literally put the logo on two different colored shirts and made both of them look unappealing.

The problem with the shirts they had were that the designs are printed on. I hate printed on designs because they wear, tear, and peel easily. Feel cheap. The shirts you can order from the jurassicworld.com site are 100% cotton and have better designs in general. I like the look of those blue shirts and the logo, just not the make.

Superflat

Damn, I didnt even chekc out that store, it's got a few designs I can get behind.

mens-jurassic-world-trex-kingdom-white-logo-t-shirt.jpg

I like that this shirt is "in-universe"

mens-pre-order-logo-outline-ringer.jpg

This looks nice and clean, probably even moreso when it's not in a horribly wrinkled state.

Timu

This movie is already being rated on imdb...(7.9 currently)
I wonder if it'll go up as more see it in the following days.

On the animatronics, this is straight from the production notes:

To capture lighting references associated with the hero dinosaurs, the visual effects team used stand-in maquettes throughout the filming process. Explains ILM animation supervisor GLENN MCINTOSH: “Maquettes were used to capture all the beautiful details—the colors, the texture of the scales, details of the eyes—to help in re-creating the character in the computer and bring it to life.”

True-to-scale lifelike maquettes were created for select Velociraptors that appear in the film, some of which have heads as big as saltwater crocodiles. Indeed, these maquettes—which provided eyeline references for the performers—were sized to match a raptor body up to 14 feet long. During night shoots in the jungle, the crew had its share of fun with the maquettes. “It was fun to sneak around and come up behind people and slowly turn the head to look at them when they weren’t expecting it,” laughs McIntosh.

To create the maquettes, filmmakers turned to Legacy Effects, the proud home of talented artists, imaginative engineers and intricate puppeteers that was founded by Jurassic Park alumnus and industry legend Stan Winston.

The genius behind the iconic and ferocious T. rex, quick and nimble Velociraptors and gentle long-necked Brachiosaurus seen in the original, Winston provided audiences with iconic and indelible images of how dinosaurs looked and moved. Although advancements made in computer-generated VFX and CGI essentially replaced the need for animatronics during filming, Trevorrow pushed for the use of an animatronic dinosaur in the film to honor the spirit of the artists and craftspersons who paved the way.

While searching for Claire’s nephews in the lush valley of Isla Nublar, Owen and Claire stumble upon a fallen Apatosaurus and quietly sit alongside the gentle giant as it takes its last breath. For the powerful scene capturing an intimate moment shared between human and dinosaur, Trevorrow felt the animatronic dinosaur would help the actors experience the intensity of the moment as organically as possible. “Animatronics are not necessarily the go-to answer these days when looking to create a monster or a creature, as it is a lot easier to have people run around the jungle and be chased by computer-generated effects,” says the director. “But I knew that we would be able to accomplish something here that is so rare in film today, which is to create something tactile that you can touch and that you can feel breathe. That is priceless and I don’t see how we could have made a Jurassic Park movie without it.”

The inclusion of an animatronic was a tribute to the artistry of Winston and his immeasurable contribution to the Jurassic legacy and the world of filmmaking. “Colin pushed to have a working animatronic in the film because Jurassic was built on the wonderful inventiveness of Stan Winston and his people, and he wanted to pay homage to that,” commends Crowley.

Serving as the production’s animatronic supervisor, Jurassic alumnus JOHN ROSENGRANT led Legacy Effect’s team of digital designers, concept artists, 3D sculptors, moldmakers, machinists, fabricators, engineers and puppeteers who gave life to the Apatosaurus, an extensive process that took close to three months to complete.

The lifesize head utilized a hard skull surrounded by soft tissues that are able to fold and bend, as well as built-in bladders to simulate breathing. With Rosengrant and a team of four puppeteers operating her, the Apatosaurus had the ability to lift and turn her head, breathe through her nose and mouth, and had eye movements that included blinking and twitching, all choreographed and simultaneously operated during the scene. Explains Rosengrant: “It’s like a concert where all the members of the band make sure they’re hitting their notes on time and in rhythm. We each have our individual manipulations that, when put together, bring it to life; it’s the sum components that create it.”

The results were magical and not lost on even the most seasoned of crew members. Crowley recalls: “There was this confluence of people—all who had been involved in the previous films—and to see this wonderful dinosaur, struck a chord. When you witnessed its eyes blinking and breath come out of its nostrils right in front of you, it brought home just how much we care about animals and the quality of work that people in our business can do.”
For our heroes, the experience of working with a “live” dinosaur was momentous. “It was remarkable to have this creature there to interact with, and we all become children when seeing something like that,” says Howard. “It’s a live medium and art form that makes you feel giddy and full of awe. I’m so grateful to have experienced that.”

Concludes Pratt: “When I saw it, I thought, ‘Wow, there’s a fallen dinosaur here.’ Then it started breathing and moving around and had so many different motions of the mouth, the tongue, the eyes and the neck that it came to life. It gave me goosebumps.”

Soundtrack is in iTunes now for UK peeps, just pre-ordered and downloading the two bonus tracks :D!

Nine to Survival Job is so good, reminds me of 'Remembering Petticoat Lane' when Hammond is talking to Ellie about his dream of the park then the JW theme kicks in and I get all the goosebumps.

The Park is Closed blends the original theme and JW perfectly.

Giacchino is a god.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
User rating report from imdb:

Pretty interesting. Seems like Pratt's charm is doing its thang.

Don't believe the numbers! The other topic said it's gunna be terrible! (Honestly, I only started posting in there because I accidentally thought I was browsing this topic >_>)

Had my first JW dream and it was horrifying. For some reason, regular housing was on the island (or the park was in a residential area) and it was announced that the I-Rex had escaped. So people are watching it run amok from their front porches, looking off in the distance until it heads straight towards us. So I run inside, panicked, thinking of the safest spot to hide from a creature that can sniff me out and snatch me up from anywhere and "feeling" it getting closer as I ponder (this was extremely terrifying to my subconscious).

I eventually went up a flight of stairs, into a room with a closet and climbed up to the top shelves and straddled them as I stood crouched under the slightly raised ceiling. Then I heard the I-Rex near, sniffing around for me. It peeked into the closet but got distracted by another sound and ran off. It was so tense being in that situation more so than it seems when reading it.

It went on with a friend showing up and me asking him to grab my sword for me but he assured it left the house. Then it turns out my wife was a park employee and had me hop on the back of her ATV and got me around to the backside of the facility unseen as we had a plan to subdue the beast. That Fury Road cranking effect took over while we ran through a compromised Jurassic Bug exhibit with giant bugs everywhere (my 5 year old happened to be in this scene and freaked as fuck). There were a few more distant shots and close calls but then I woke up and "Holy shit"ted.

Janky writing because janky mind and janky dream. Time to get ready for work. Hopefully my iTunes is updated today.

I already have the originals on bluray but I decided to double dip for the collection, i love the indominus skin cover.
RXiUjQ8.jpg

m2Rwa4h.jpg

Has spaces for JW and JW 3D as well, think I'm gonna watch all three before I see JW.

I already have the originals on bluray but I decided to double dip for the collection, i love the indominus skin cover.
RXiUjQ8.jpg

m2Rwa4h.jpg

Has spaces for JW and JW 3D as well, think I'm gonna watch all three before I see JW.
No JP 3D? I wonder which color grade version of JP is included, the original BR release or the warmer, more forgiving to the cg (and more accurate to the original theatrical/vhs release?) 3D release.

The new JP box thingy is very nice. There are some problems though.

1. When I buy Jurassic World on Blu-ray, there's no way I'm just going to take the disc out and dispose of the case
2. I kind of like individual cases anyway as I enjoy a shelf library
3. It seems to think that The Lost World is part of the Jurassic Park series

Toa TAK

Banned
I've got the original 3 pack and the 3D release... even I'm tempted.
I don't even have the 3D one. Don't you need a 3D TV for that, though?

1. When I buy Jurassic World on Blu-ray, there's no way I'm just going to take the disc out and dispose of the case

I don't think number 3 is a real problem, though.

Maybe they will do an offer to buy just the discs for the pack.

I enjoyed TLW for what it was. Enjoyed the book FAR FAR more however.

Honestly while I enjoy JP3, for me the sequels so far can just be treated as spinoffs. Hopefully Jurassic World is legit enough to be considered a real deal sequel to the original, both quality wise and in spirit. Plus the naming of the sequels except for Jurassic World has been inconsistent, which bothers me as an OCD sufferer :p

I don't even have the 3D one. Don't you need a 3D TV for that, though?

I don't think number 3 is a real problem, though.
For 3D, yes (obviously) but I'm pretty sure it'll default to 2D should you not have a 3D TV. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I know that when my TV prompts me with "view in 3D? Yes or No", it defaults to 2D if I don't make a selection in time.

This is assuming it doesn't decide to recognize whether or not you have a 3D TV.

Sure, Jurassic World sorta helps make elements of JP3 more important, but hey, there's that. Ingen still messing around on the island, D'Onofrio's character being a result of the pteranodons escaping at the end, etc. Plus again it furthers the velociraptor subplot established in the original and TLW does nothing with it. I just think that when you consider all four movies together as a whole that TLW is the one that just doesn't offer anything for the forward momentum.

I still consider both sequels mainly pointless, but at least JP3 has things that tie into JW and the raptor subplot. If you erased TLW from the series nothing would change.

Sure, Jurassic World sorta helps make elements of JP3 more important, but hey, there's that. Ingen still messing around on the island, D'Onofrio's character being a result of the pteranodons escaping at the end, etc. Plus again it furthers the velociraptor subplot established in the original and TLW does nothing with it. I just think that when you consider all four movies together as a whole that TLW is the one that just doesn't offer anything for the forward momentum.

I still consider both sequels mainly pointless, but at least JP3 has things that tie into JW and the raptor subplot. If you erased TLW from the series nothing would change.
If anything, TLW had a public aware of both the idea of a dinosaur zoo/park and dinosaurs existing. So hopes and fears existed which resulted in the construction of a new, safer park.

If anything, TLW had a public aware of both the idea of a dinosaur zoo/park and dinosaurs existing. So hopes and fears existed which resulted in the construction of a new, safer park.

That's long-winded, but apart from my raptor argument, it's as valid as anything else I've said in defense of the third. I also don't personally think that the San Diego incident is what led to a new and safer park.

That's long-winded, but apart from my raptor argument, it's as valid as anything else I've said in defense of the third. I also don't personally think that the San Diego incident is what led to a new and safer park.
Well not so directly, but I know I'd have been buzzing about what could have been on a visitor level. Just imagine on a business/ investor level, why let Biosyn capitalize on InGen's misfortunes?

Well not so directly, but I know I'd have been buzzing about what could have been on a visitor level. Just imagine on a business/ investor level, why let Biosyn capitalize on InGen's misfortunes?

This isn't implausible. However, I believe that in context, Jurassic World was built under a drive unrelated to San Diego. That being said, again, I'm defending JP3 by connections to Jurassic World that weren't intentional until Trevorrow and co. had the respect and motivation to at least make some things about JP3 relevant, so my arguments in favor of JP3 are not more valid than yours or Superflat's.

Still, the raptors is really what I consider to be the most important element in the grand continuity.

Superflat

TLW adds history to inGEN and what happens as a direct result of the events of Jurassic Park when Hammond is more or less on his deathbed. Grant, Ian, and co. were all paid off with nondisclosure agreements, inGEN is left trying to salvage the situation and recoup at least some of their money, and no one is happy. TLW exposed the existence of dinosaurs to the world.

It's more of a transitionary film that fills in the gaps than JP3, which is a COMPLETELY isolated incident where an obnoxious family end up stranded on Isla Sorna, a island that was established in TLW. The film also solves smaller issues brought up in JP1 like why the dinosaurs can survive without lysine.

Thing about the raptors in JP3 is that in my eyes, it didn't really advance how we viewed raptors. They were social, learning, adaptable pack hunters -- and the first film realized that potential in multiple encounters. JP1 had raptors open doors, test electrical fences, trap Muldoon, call for each other, kill off the weak members of the pack, and communicate in various ways. The one unique thing I learned from JP3 is that these amazing intelligent hunters were somehow culled by a raptor ocarina. I swear, if Owen pulls out one of those out of his pocket...

This isn't implausible. However, I believe that in context, Jurassic World was built under a drive unrelated to San Diego. That being said, again, I'm defending JP3 by connections to Jurassic World that weren't intentional until Trevorrow and co. had the respect and motivation to at least make some things about JP3 relevant, so my arguments in favor of JP3 are not more valid than yours or Superflat's.

Still, the raptors is really what I consider to be the most important element in the grand continuity.

For sure. I'm a 3>TLW camper myself. I just can't write it out in my heart.

The one unique thing I learned from JP3 is that these amazing intelligent hunters were somehow culled by a raptor ocarina.

This didn't happen though, and my point about the raptors is that it features them like the first movie did, but puts them in the spotlight more and we see them interacting with each other, planning, etc. whereas TLW doesn't do anything with them and just treats them like other dinosaurs for a setpiece. The third movie respected the first movie's focus on the raptors and further explored it, whether or not it necessarily taught us anything new, it did feature them and made points about them. It showed them in a more civilized manner rather than straight up killing machines, which I felt was progress from the first movie and Jurassic World seems to take this further.

Also the thing about TLW filling in gaps with information about Ingen and the NDA's are not what I feel to be important plot points. It was just cleanup information regarding what happened after the first one.

edit: but I respect your perspective and this argument won't ever end :p

Superflat

This didn't happen though. Also the thing about TLW filling in gaps with information about Ingen and the NDA's are not what I feel to be important plot points.

Raptors became my favorite dinosaur as result of JP1, but I never saw them as being the main plot thread. That would be like saying JP3 was irresponsible for abandoning the Tyrannosaur nurturing behavior established in TLW. Also, what dinosaur is on the logo for JP3, HMMM? Raptors still took second fiddle to Joe Johnston's new toy that popped up over and over again for no reason whatsoever.

One of the biggest pet peeves of mine was how they completely, unfairly, savagely neutered the Rex in JP3 for the sake of marketing. The director caught wind of a bigger carnivore than the T-Rex and thought going bigger and badder was a sufficient draw, and that idea/attitude is precisely what JW is confronting.

I was personally more interested in the macro story of the park, the people, and companies involved, and you were more interested in the established raptor intelligence. The yang to my yin.

I think we're destined to do this forever!

I really do love that new theme.

'The Park Is Closed' track is... beautiful.
Im excited to see if the end of the movie can match it.

It's safe to say TLW continued Malcolm's plot point (life finds a way, big mistakes) and JP3 continues Grant's (needing funding, Raptor expert) and that JW continues.... BOTH!

Edit: Park loses visitors, makes big mistakes to get more funding while Pratt works with the intelligent raptors to make them a draw as well. But life finds uhway.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's safe to say TLW continued Malcolm's plot point (life finds a way, big mistakes) and JP3 continues Grant's (needing funding, Raptor expert) and that JW continues.... BOTH!

Edit: Park loses visitors, makes big mistakes to get more funding while Pratt works with the intelligent raptors to make them a draw as well. But life finds uhway.
That's a good way of putting it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think the sick triceratops illustrates my biggest problem with cg believability. No dirt. The animals are clean as fuck. Look at a rhinoceros or an elephant and tell me a large sauropod or ceratopsian wouldn't be caked in dirt.

Bug repellant, cooling, and no ready appendages to wipe off dirt / groom anyway.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I think the sick triceratops illustrates my biggest problem with cg believability. No dirt. The animals are clean as fuck. Look at a rhinoceros or an elephant and tell me a large sauropod or ceratopsian wouldn't be caked in dirt.

Bug repellant, cooling, and no ready appendages to wipe off dirt / groom anyway.

I'd say there's a different between a low-ground animal and something that has its head in the trees all day. Must need some pretty strong sandstorms to hit their face often.

Where are the flies around the dinos?!

Also, I live in Costa Rica, if they're in the rainforest, the characters should be pushing bugs off their face like every 3 to 5 seconds (specially if they're all sweaty), and killing mosquitoes non stop.

Maybe they'll have the applying bug spray scene, but bug repellent wears off (specially if you're jumping into rivers), and mosquitoes find a way! No believability.

Where are the flies around the dinos?!

Also, I live in Costa Rica, if they're in the rainforest, the characters should be pushing bugs off their face like every 3 to 5 seconds (specially if they're all sweaty), and killing mosquitoes non stop.

Maybe they'll have the applying bug spray scene, but bug repellent wears off (specially if you're jumping into rivers), and mosquitoes find a way! No believability.
I'm from Earth and dinosaurs died a long time ago! No believability.

=P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom