• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nice, I have never played any of the Etrian titles. But I think I'm going to jump in after I beat this game. Will get all the titles on 3DS etc. I just bookmarked that thread, I will jump into it once I start getting those titles. I'm seriously interested in this genre, so glad to know there are community's around it.

What I'm really excited for in this game, is the difference in setting/style. From the sounds of it, this game will stand apart from DG in terms of that.

The Etrian Odyssey community is great and they will help out new users and such. Am sure you would have a good time with that series also as its something unique. 3 & 4 in particular due to how the "world map" navigation is handled. Should have details about that in the community thread. Its the other half of the DRPG community. Am still waiting on an artist to get some work done so can do up the other Japanese developed DRPG community thread going. Though a lot of those titles were never released in the West. So its not as high as a priority at the moment.

Yeah there are people who enjoy this series in particular due to the more modern setting, its something fairly original for the genre which is nice as for the most part a lot of the titles in the genre are mainly fantasy. The one thing that some may feel with Operation Abyss is how some design features may feel older, the reason for that is due to how Operation Abyss is based off of Experience Incs. first series they ever made as a company. Where as Demon Gaze was one of their more recent works that was built from the ground up. But with that aside it still very much is a solid title that does a good job standing on its own. They also greatly improved things in the continuation of the series remake with Operation Babel that I hope makes its way to the West, which is why really am hoping for good sales / reception with Abyss.

For more general information on the developers behind Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss the Experience Inc community thread is here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1043776

Hopefully this title will do well also so NISA continues to bring out their other titles to the West.

cj_iwakura

Nice, I have never played any of the Etrian titles. But I think I'm going to jump in after I beat this game. Will get all the titles on 3DS etc. I just bookmarked that thread, I will jump into it once I start getting those titles. I'm seriously interested in this genre, so glad to know there are community's around it.

What I'm really excited for in this game, is the difference in setting/style. From the sounds of it, this game will stand apart from DG in terms of that.

Absolutely. Modern/futuristic settings are woefully underutilized in RPGs, period, much less DCs.

Mononoke

Banned
The Etrian Odyssey community is great and they will help out new users and such. Am sure you would have a good time with that series also as its something unique. 3 & 4 in particular due to how the "world map" navigation is handled. Should have details about that in the community thread. Its the other half of the DRPG community. Am still waiting on an artist to get some work done so can do up the other Japanese developed DRPG community thread going. Though a lot of those titles were never released in the West. So its not as high as a priority at the moment.

Yeah there are people who enjoy this series in particular due to the more modern setting, its something fairly original for the genre which is nice as for the most part a lot of the titles in the genre are mainly fantasy.

For more general information on the developers behind Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss the Experience Inc community thread is here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1043776

Hopefully this title will do well also so NISA continues to bring out their other titles to the West.

Okay, that thread is incredible. I'll definitely be using that for now on. Thanks for linking. The sheer amount of work you put into this stuff. Just wow. Just know, it really helps noobs like me out, a lot. It's really appreciated.

Absolutely. Modern/futuristic settings are woefully underutilized in RPGs, period, much less DCs.

I wonder why that is (why they shy away from modern settings in the genre. I guess because fantasy is easier in those other settings?). The only experience I have with mordern/future settings, is the Hyperdimension/Neptunia series. I had a lot of fun playing those games. Not the same genre. But only thing I can think of, that has kind of a future/modern weird setting.

Parakeetman

Okay, that thread is incredible. I'll definitely be using that for now on. Thanks for linking. The sheer amount of work you put into this stuff. Just wow. Just know, it really helps noobs like me out, a lot. It's really appreciated.

haha thanks, one of the first times I did a community thread so was not sure exactly how to format everything in general.

Feel free to ask questions there if you are curious about anything in relation to the various series and such. :)

Though in general the thread is not as active as the EO community one due to there only being 2 localized titles out at the moment. 1 being this one that was only released recently haha. Though hopefully that will change as time goes on!

I wonder why that is (why they shy away from modern settings in the genre. I guess because fantasy is easier in those other settings?). The only experience I have with mordern/future settings, is the Hyperdimension/Neptunia series. I had a lot of fun playing those games. Not the same genre. But only thing I can think of, that has kind of a future/modern weird setting.

Id mainly say that for the DRPG series reason why the whole futuristic angle has not really been done often outside of certain devs like Atlus for example with the Soul Hackers / Devil Summoner / Shin Megami Tensei series is a lot of folks are used to the fantasy setting.

Considering getting that swimsuit DLC pack since its 6 for $0.99 and not $0.99 each. I am now becoming part of the problem.

Parakeetman

Considering getting that swimsuit DLC pack since its 6 for $0.99 and not $0.99 each. I am now becoming part of the problem.

Nah, its just them trying to make $$$ back for having to grab the rights to the OST to stuff in the LE lol.

Since you guys in the West most def got the better deal as in Japan only 1 specific retailer had the OST as an extra. The LE itself came with the artbook, massive box, and swim team + item DLC only. Its why you could find the LEs for a while after release. Operation Babel though they remedied that issue which was brought up by fans and included the artbook, giant box and the OST of Abyss / Babel + short version of the opening song.

Whats nice too is you guys in the West didnt have to worry about missing out on the Dark Hero portrait pack, as that was something which was in a specific issue of Famitsu for their DLC code bonuses that they always print these days. And once those were gone thats it lol. The Dark Hero portrait pack was really nice the new designs they had in there.

cj_iwakura

Fantasy is the easier sell, I guess. Swords and sorcery and all that. The go-to games for modern/future are definitely SMT. Guns and cities everywhere.

Parakeetman

Is it important to ace the exams? I only got an 'average' score. I assume the reward you get is different, but is that all? :eek:

If I remember correctly, there should not be any major impact. Let me look up exactly what it is you get if you do ace it. I dont think I did either thats why. lol

Ok if you get everything right you are rewarded with the following item.
MT Genome 1 x 5

Sorry for the late reply with that had missed your post initially.

I'm over here crossing my fingers so that Amazon ships it to me on Sunday and I can play on Monday :3

Does amazon usually ship stuff out early? Im kinda sad that over here sometimes they get stuff to me like after release for whatever reason. D: That happened with the Xenoblade X WiiU for example. And had confirmed directly with Amazon and the Shipping company that it was their doing where they had it specified to arrive after launch. Insane considering how early in advance had it pre-ordered too. Amazon's service in general has been slipping, makes me wonder why I pay for prime a lot of the time these days lol

Saphirax

If I remember correctly, there should not be any major impact. Let me look up exactly what it is you get if you do ace it. I dont think I did either thats why. lol

Ok if you get everything right you are rewarded with the following item.
MT Genome 1 x 5

Sorry for the late reply with that had missed your post initially.

Does amazon usually ship stuff out early? Im kinda sad that over here sometimes they get stuff to me like after release for whatever reason. D: That happened with the Xenoblade X WiiU for example. And had confirmed directly with Amazon and the Shipping company that it was their doing where they had it specified to arrive after launch. Insane considering how early in advance had it pre-ordered too. Amazon's service in general has been slipping, makes me wonder why I pay for prime a lot of the time these days lol

Huh, could've sworn I received the same item. Good to know :D, thanks.

Parakeetman

Shizuka

Code collecting on the second semester and I can't advance until I get the item requested by the director: Brain Jack. Where do I find such a thing? I'm not even sure what it is, if it's a tool, a material, a plug-in.

Parakeetman

Code collecting on the second semester and I can't advance until I get the item requested by the director: Brain Jack. Where do I find such a thing? I'm not even sure what it is, if it's a tool, a material, a plug-in.

Piece of equipment lv 10 unique head wear.

No idea where to find it. Didnt not come back with any specific hits outside of the item stats.

You would have to go looking where the game generally drops equipment around lv 10 I suppose is the only option then its just all luck from there.

You can give up on the quest and re-accept it which will give you a chance for a new item request, if you have bad luck it might ask for the same thing but you can constantly give up and try again. There is no special reward for clearing it without giving up once. And no demerit for giving up on the quest. Just keep repeating that till you get the quest completed.

*Fixed info in the spoiler tags.

Shizuka

Piece of equipment lv 10 unique head wear.

No idea where to find it. Didnt not come back with any specific hits outside of the item stats.

You would have to go looking where the game generally drops equipment around lv 10 I suppose is the only option then its just all luck from there.

If thats the sub quest Im thinking about there is no real demerit or reward for not doing it or completing it. The stuff he asks for also is taken from a random pool. So its even worse if a unique item is requested.

I'm at the second point where no new quests are given to me until I clear all the ones available, I can't proceed until I give him that item.

Parakeetman

I'm at the second point where no new quests are given to me until I clear all the ones available, I can't proceed until I give him that item.

Do you have the actual quest name? Since as said before its difficult to help you out otherwise.

Makes it easier to try an look up information thats why.

Shizuka

Do you have the actual quest name? Since as said before its difficult to help you out otherwise.

Makes it easier to try an look up information thats why.

"Code collecting": a request to participate in collecting item codes for code physics research.

Parakeetman

"Code collecting": a request to participate in collecting item codes for code physics research.

Ok hang on let me try to check again.

Ah ok got it. Sorry had read it wrong, with that initial post of mine what it is (check spoilers below)

You can give up on the quest and re-accept it which will give you a chance for a new item request, if you have bad luck it might ask for the same thing but you can constantly give up and try again. There is no special reward for clearing it without giving up once. And no demerit for giving up on the quest. Just keep repeating that till you get the quest completed.

Sorry about that earlier, this should be the correct answer and get you on the way to progressing in the game again.

I remember this quest too now and yeah I also did what was written in the tagged section as going after unique drops was too much of a hassle.

Shizuka

Ok hang on let me try to check again.

Ah ok got it. Sorry had read it wrong, with that initial post of mine what it is (check spoilers below)

Sorry about that earlier, this should be the correct answer and get you on the way to progressing in the game again.

I remember this quest too now and yeah I also did what was written in the tagged section as going after unique drops was too much of a hassle.

Wow, I had to do that five times until it asked me for an item I already had, and here I thought I was collecting lots of stuff since I'm not running from battles and I'm checking every tile. At least it did the trick and I can proceed now, thank you very much!

Parakeetman

Wow, I had to do that five times until it asked me for an item I already had, and here I thought I was collecting lots of stuff since I'm not running from battles and I'm checking every tile. At least it did the trick and I can proceed now, thank you very much!

Yeah it was an irritating quest to say the least lol.

Good luck with your continued adventures.

CrovaxPSO

Did you check your junk items? I remember being able to craft several of the things it asked for. I think the shop carried some as well, or maybe they were things I had sold and just rebought. I know you're done with it now but maybe for other people.

mothball

"oh boy it's here"

"wow that's a bigass artb--"

cd067b9ba6.png

OMldyij.gif

Usually they don't. Thing is, I live close to both the Amazon warehouse and the Canada Post that they use to deliver from. So literally I get stuff the day they send it out pretty much, depending on the time that they do it lol. I have gotten tons of games on Monday simply because they send it out on Sunday late at night, or very early on Monday morning. Thanks to this, even if I wasn't Prime, I wouldn't have to bother with same-day/1-day shipping, since even with normal choice I'd be getting it on the day of ahaha.

Parakeetman

That's the thing about artbooks. I love them. Yet I am always scared of a huge spoiler being in there.

Yeah thats why in general its a good idea to not buy them till you beat the game lol. Unless its something you know is pretty limited in stock.

I dont buy artbooks anymore since they just wind up staying unopened. No room for them either.

Limited Edition unboxing

That's a bigass artbook. Can't wait to look through it after beating the game.

Its pretty good quality too which is nice.

Shizuka

Does the Squeaky Hammer + Gamble Code become Muramasa or MURAMASA? How high is the probability of it becoming one of those?

Hikami

Amazon hasn't shipped my game yet v.v
I always seem to get 3DS games delivered early but never any Vita games

CrovaxPSO

Does the Squeaky Hammer + Gamble Code become Muramasa or MURAMASA? How high is the probability of it becoming one of those?

The hammer will have a chance to give MURAMASA since they're the same level (the gamble codes give + or - a few levels from whatever you use as the gambling item). It can be pretty rare so be prepared to reload several times. The worst is when your first gamble of a set of attempts give you a Reinforce item.

Parakeetman

If you are aiming for the lv 40 one chances are low and its more or less all pure luck. One poor bastards blog wrote it took them 78 tries lol.

If you have any lv 38+ items you can use those too. Since the gamble code will change it into +-3 level item from the base value.

Dont think there is any actual probability rating as seems different for everyone.

dkoy

Question about evasion and hit. I see a lot of equipment give negative evasion and chance to hit. What does it actually mean? While I'm at it, guarding during a fight turns my defense negative too. Is negative actually better? pls halp

Saphirax

Question about evasion and hit. I see a lot of equipment give negative evasion and chance to hit. What does it actually mean? While I'm at it, guarding during a fight turns my defense negative too. Is negative actually better? pls halp
You want evasion and hit chance to be in the negative. Technically the lower both are the higher your chances are to dodge and hit.

dkoy

You want evasion and hit chance to be in the negative. Technically the lower both are the higher your chances are to dodge and hit.

That is so confusing and in a completely different direction from everything I've ever played. Including Demon Gaze. Thanks for the quick answer :)

Also I finally realize why al the armours outside the starting ones usually have negative evasion. I was holding off equipping any other armour because of this.

It's based on the old THAC0 system from the earlier versions of D&D.

Heh. I had a feeling it was some rule inherited from D&D. Never played it but it seems very complicated.

CrovaxPSO

That is so confusing and in a completely different direction from everything I've ever played. Including Demon Gaze. Thanks for the quick answer :)

Also I finally realize why al the armours outside the starting ones usually have negative evasion. I was holding off equipping any other armour because of this.

autoduelist

I wonder why that is (why they shy away from modern settings in the genre. I guess because fantasy is easier in those other settings?).

Fantasy is the easier sell, I guess. Swords and sorcery and all that. The go-to games for modern/future are definitely SMT. Guns and cities everywhere.

In addition to being an easier sell, I think it's easier to design. We allow our imagination to fill in the blanks and connect the dots when it's swords and sorcery. Guns beg for a more complex, realistic approach to the combat system that's ultimately far more complicated. That is, while we are okay with a simple 'attack' command to shoot an arrow, as soon as we have guns there is this natural inclination to want range, aimed shots, etc., etc.

Yep. Pretty common in the 80s, at least.

Saphirax

So, I'm doing the WIZ agency investigation mission and I looked everywhere in Kagura district, but still can't find where to unlock the door at X:05 Y:01 North.

I already have the Power Key, which I assume I need to use. Just dunno where.

Edit: I'm blind 8D, found an unexplored area.

Parakeetman

So, I'm doing the WIZ agency investigation mission and I looked everywhere in Kagura district, but still can't find where to unlock the door at X:05 Y:01 North.

I already have the Power Key, which I assume I need to use. Just dunno where.

Edit: I'm blind 8D, found an unexplored area.

Yeah that can happen a lot in the maps and such. lol

Also had that written in the new player info section of the OT. You might want to go take a quick look through there. Since was pretty certain that was going to be one question that some folks unfamiliar with the older design system would be asking :)

dkoy

Also had that written in the new player info section of the OT. You might want to go take a quick look through there. Since was pretty certain that was going to be one question that some folks unfamiliar with the older design system would be asking :)

Heh I guess I got a bit arrogant since I've been playing video games a long time and just scrolled through the OT. I expected to be able to just play my way through and figure it out, despite you mentioning it having older features in multiple threads.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
because of the OT and the replies here about the game I caved.

Just ordered the Operation Abyss - New Tokyo Legacy - Limited Edition - English ~_~" guess I'm gonna eat a lot of rice that month :D

Happy to play with you guys, as soon as it arrives in germany

cj_iwakura

Would you guys consider this game an improvement over demon gaze or is it more or less the same formula?

It's got so many improvements that it's almost a different game. Much better story/atmosphere if that matters.

(And you don't have to worry about the rent crap.)

Parakeetman

Would you guys consider this game an improvement over demon gaze or is it more or less the same formula?

Combat wise its the same, but other gameplay mechanics are different such as the item crafting / upgrading. As you actually have to use resources rather than just grinding things into dust and using that as a main resource pool for each weapon type. Treasure drops are from battle and there is no circle type of system that Demon Gaze used. Also you do not have to worry about having to buy more members, as once you finish the story introduction you can fill out a full party right away. MP in this title is also handled differently in the older Wizardry type of design where spells are separated into tiers each with a limited amount of uses. When you lv up you get more uses per lv tier. Example below.

Lv1. Fire, Water, Etc x 8
Lv2. Poison, Quake, Etc x 5
Lv3. Fire Wall, Tidal Wave, Etc x 2

The example above shows you can use any of the lv 1 spells 8 times total, lv 2 5 times total, lv 3 2 times.

Leveling up is done by resting at the inn, same with recovering MP for the spells.

Also the Encounter Gauge system is something different as the higher that value in the upper left goes the stronger enemies will get lv wise. But better rewards such exp / money / loot.

Narrative, setting and some gameplay mechanics are different. But if one is thinking in general terms of how combat is, that is pretty much the same for the most part. Except not being able to target exactly what you want in a group of enemies. Though it does not really effect you in a negative way. It just feels odd as most other games allow for targeting individual units in the same enemy type group.

Dont buy comments like much better atmosphere as that is subjective. It depends if you prefer a fantasy to a modern setting.

The last thing that is important to others is the game does not really contain fan service to the level like how some scenes in Demon Gaze did. Though there is 1 scene that some consider to be fan service, but is tame in comparison.

Heh I guess I got a bit arrogant since I've been playing video games a long time and just scrolled through the OT. I expected to be able to just play my way through and figure it out, despite you mentioning it having older features in multiple threads.

Most folks who have not played CRPGs and such before would get confused with the whole system as its not really a standard anymore outside of games that are designed on purpose using that older design. Its why had thought was a good idea to list it in the OT. lol

bobohoro

Just crusing along, roughly 5h in. Battles are kinda simplistic, item/equipment drops and crafting not that engaging, but oh well, it's still fun mapping out dungeons and the music and overall creepy atmosphere are nice.

Only really annoying thing is that several missions seem to have you aimlessly backtrack through earlier dungeons. Doing the quest for the student council, were I have to search for the hacking TPF-member in the starter dungeon and I really don't want to look through that building a fourth time.

Mononoke

Banned
I'll admit, I'm sinking all my time into Splatoon. But I really can't wait for this game. Amazon still hasn't shipped mine though. I'm guessing they will ship tonight (or Monday). =/

I'm getting all fidgety here.

Saphirax

Annnd, one more question - is 'The lost new officer' mission repeatable? I just finished the first half of the game and I did that mission a few times until the scenarios kept repeating themselves so I didn't bother with it anymore. I've a save just in case.

Parakeetman

Annnd, one more question - is 'The lost new officer' mission repeatable? I just finished the first half of the game and I did that mission a few times until the scenarios kept repeating themselves so I didn't bother with it anymore. I've a save just in case.

yeah you can keep doing that one multiple times. keep some curry items for the 2nd half of the game

the keys no real easy to farm them at least none i remember?

Top Bottom