• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Peterthumpa

Update 11:

If you're experiencing certain issues, try deleting the config folder located at "Steamsteamapps\common\Batman Arkham Knight\BMGame\config". The files will be regenerated upon launch.

Update 10:

Patch released: http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791433980826/announcements/detail/145594019968443309

Update 9:

Beta patch was live but pulled just a few hours later. Hang in there folks.

Update 8:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/2086...92751466193037

Dear Batman: Arkham Knight PC community,

The teams have been working hard to address the issues with the PC version of the game. We are happy to confirm that we are now putting the first interim patch into testing. If all goes well, we expect to issue the patch in the next few weeks. We’ll be sure to report back in the next two weeks on how the testing is coming along.

Below are some of the major fixes and improvements you can expect in the upcoming patch:

• Reduced frame rate hitches
• Optimized system memory and VRAM usage
• Improved performance on all GPUs (requires the latest drivers)
o Min Spec AMD GPU is once again the Radeon HD 7870 2GB

• More Robust In-Game Settings, including:
o Added the ability to change settings for Max FPS to 30/60/90
o Added toggles for Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration, and Film Grain
o Added a “High” Texture Resolution value
o Added Texture Filtering option
o Added an Adaptive V-Sync option (NVIDIA only)
o Added VRAM Usage Meter
o Added Mouse Sensitivity Slider & Mouse Smoothing Option

• Fixed low resolution texture bugs
• Fixed hitches when running on mechanical hard drives (HDD)

While our first priority is fixing the issues listed above, the team is continuing to work on the following:

• Skipping the boot up splash screens
• DLC/Season Pass content
• Additional updates such as Photo Mode

We again thank you for your continued patience as we work on these issues. As always, we are continuing to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Update 7:

Patch planned for an August release:

As an update, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Rocksteady and our partners are targeting an interim patch update for existing players to be released in August. This update will address many of the issues we listed in our June 27 update. We will provide additional details as we finalize that interim patch over the coming weeks.

We would like to thank you for your continued patience and invaluable feedback. We are continuing to monitor and listen for any additional issues and are driving towards a full update for everyone as quickly as we possibly can.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/PC-Update-July-17th/m-p/619744#U619744

Update 6:

WB Community Admin about the PC version:

We have heard the PC gaming community outcry of disappointment for the initial launch of Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. Again, we would like to apologize to you, the fans, and let you know that we are taking full responsibility for releasing a product that did not meet our quality standards, which is why we suspended sales of the game as soon as we understood the issues. The Batman: Arkham Knight fans are extremely important to us and our highest priority is ensuring PC users get the full, high quality experience of Batman: Arkham Knight they deserve. Rocksteady Studios has created an amazing game with Batman: Arkham Knight and they are now working closely with us and our partners to ensure that we offer the same experience on PC. Once the PC version is fully updated, Rocksteady and all parties will agree that it meets a superior quality bar and we will then make the game available for sale.

Addressing the PC performance issues is still our top priority and at this time, we believe we have identified a number of fixes for the larger issues that were affecting PC players at launch. These fixes are currently being implemented into the game and once we have been able to do some initial testing, we’ll have a better idea on the status of our progress. We’ll provide an update on how things are developing next week.

We can also assure you that because of this latest launch, we are modifying the internal review process for all of our games. For those who are waiting for the updated version of the game on PC, please know that we are working on this every day. For the players who are continuing to play Batman: Arkham Knight on PC, fixes are continually being made to the game as we await the final updated version.

Our continued focus on getting the right PC fixes in place for the main game has had an impact on the development of all DLC content for the PC version of the game. This means that the Batman: Arkham Knight – Batgirl: A Matter of Family DLC will not be available on July 14th for those who are currently playing the PC version of the game. We apologize for the delay and only want to make sure that any content that we offer is up to the standards that PC players expect. Thanks again for your continued patience.

Source: http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...C-Version-of-Arkham-Knight/m-p/605229#U605229

Update 5:

First patch available, restores AO and rain effects. More to come:
http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...C-Version-of-Arkham-Knight/m-p/581700#U581700

Update 4:

A tweak posted on Steam's Community Forums seems to be doing a great job of reducing the texture streaming problems (while also reducing stuttering) for now:

If you uncapped your framerate in this game and then noticed texture quality seem to dip significantly, here's why.

The resource manager in this game uses a hysteresis to determine which textures to load/unload and when. This particular feature was tuned for a constant 30 FPS, and behaves really quirky when you go beyond that.

I have found texture level of detail streaming to be much more reliable at 60 FPS using the following in BmEngine.ini:

[TextureStreaming]
MinTextureResidentMipCount=7
PoolSize=768
MemoryMargin=128
MemoryLoss=0
HysteresisLimit=30
MinRequestedMipsToConsider=9
MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=5
MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=12
UseTextureFileCache=False
MinEvictSize=9
bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=True

Incidentally, to properly smooth out 60 FPS for a much more playable experience (believe me you want this, it's almost impossible to sustain 60 FPS exactly), tweak the following (also in BmEngine.ini)

[Engine.Engine]
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=58
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62
FrameRateLimitingSetting=8

[Engine.Client]
MinDesiredFrameRate=60.000000

In BmSystemSettings.ini, these settings are necessary to uncap 30 FPS:

[SystemSettings]
MaxFPS=60.000000 ; was 30.0

Update 3:

Finally some good news:

7WWgHZx.png

Mod update 2: Just a heads up since this thread has kind of stopped being about just the performance of the port, there is now a separate thread for logging the general issues with the game.

Mod Update:

30fps cap removal .ini tweak:
For people with the 30FPS issue. Go to the installation folder Batman Arkham KnightBmGame ConfigBmSystemSettings.ini and look in the file for "MaxFPS=30" change it to what you want. :)

To suppress the intro videos:
Warning: The titles of videos in this folder may contain significant spoilers
Navigate to SteamsteamappscommonBatman Arkham KnightBMGameMovies

Rename or delete StartupMovie and StartupMovieNV

No more intro movies.

Additional warning:
- When verifying the integrity of the game cache on Steam, some users (who were offline or using VPN to open it early) have reported that the game deleted itself and re-downloaded everything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the game is unlocking in just a few hours, might as well start this thread with some relevant information:

System Requirements:

Minimum:
OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2 GB Memory Minimum) | AMD Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB Memory Minimum)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection required
Hard Drive: 45 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Graphics Memory: 3 GB
DirectX®: 11
Network: Broadband Internet Connection Required
Hard Drive Space: 55 GB

ULTRA System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Graphics Memory: 4 GB
DirectX®: 11
Network: Broadband Internet Connection Required
Hard Drive Space: 55 GB

Arkham Knight has NVIDIA Gameworks features, including:

Interactive Smoke & Fog:
Utilizes the many CUDA Cores on your GeForce GTX PC to render interactive particle effects that would impossible to create on a CPU. Each effect can be manipulated by character movement, environmental conditions and external forces, and moves realistically around and across surfaces. Such effects are further enhanced by Particle Shadow Mapping, enabling particle self-shadowing and the casting of shadows on surfaces.

Interactive Paper Debris:
Uses the power of modern NVIDIA GeForce GTX GPUs to render pieces of paper and other pieces of debris that react realistically to character movement, environmental conditions and external forces, heightening immersion as Batman and friends battle thugs.

Enhanced Rain:
A new NVIDIA GameWorks effect created specially for Batman: Arkham Knight. Using the extra performance available on PCs, the new visual effect spawns additional rain particles with simulated velocity when Batman’s cape opens for flight. For a real world comparison, quickly close and re-open a wet umbrella and observe how the droplets of water shoot off with some force.

As of the time of this post, the new Arkham Knight NVIDIA driver is out and can be downloaded here, or by checking out GeForce Experience.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-353-30-whql-driver-released

AMD users should be aware that for now, the game has performance issues with AMD cards. No statements from AMD yet.

[EDIT] - New drivers from AMD out:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Come join our rollercoaster of complaints about the FPS killing machine called Gameworks*, dat smoke, PC gaming is dead and much more!
*At least, no Hairworks here.

CHC

Any word on whether the latest Nvidia drivers are good?

They should be, they're "game ready" specifically for Arkham Knight.

Just in time for the highly anticipated title Batman: Arkham Knight this new GeForce Game Ready driver ensures you'll have the best possible gaming experience. With support for GeForce SLI technology and one-click game setting optimizations within GeForce Experience, you'll have the best possible performance and image quality during gameplay.

Game Ready: Best gaming experience for Batman: Arkham Knight, including support for SLI Technology and GeForce Experience 1-click optimizations

That's from this morning (353.30).

~~Hasan~~

any idea on how the game will behave on water cooled R290 I7 with 8 Gig ram ?

can I run it full HD at 60 fps with highest settings ?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Saw the NVidia drivers this morning, and the softward downloaded it, but had some sort of error and wouldn't install. Either couldn't find it, or "I didn't select the options to be installed" even when I did.

Will try again when I get home, and if that doesn't work, I'll download the file separately and see if it'll install on it's own, without Nvidia's little software interface.

Interactive Smoke & Fog:
Utilizes the many CUDA Cores on your GeForce GTX PC to render interactive particle effects that would impossible to create on a CPU. Each effect can be manipulated by character movement, environmental conditions and external forces, and moves realistically around and across surfaces. Such effects are further enhanced by Particle Shadow Mapping, enabling particle self-shadowing and the casting of shadows on surfaces.

This is next gen.

My Titan X is ready to render this puppy at 4k...I think..

First thing I want to know is what the best setting is to turn down as a 970 owner, seeing as you need a 980 for ultra. I guess it's gonna be some of the Gameworks stuff.

Peterthumpa

As I said to myself in the Witcher 3 performance thread... here's hoping I'm able to run this one maxed @ 1440p with Gameworks enabled, capped @ 30 FPS with my paltry GTX 970.

A man can dream.

Bytes

My body is ready to turn off all NVIDIA specific features so that the game will actually run at a decent framerate.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
As I said to myself in the Witcher 3 performance thread... here's hoping I'm able to run this one maxed @ 1440p with Gameworks enabled, capped @ 30 FPS with my paltry GTX 970.

A man can dream.

Sounds reasonable. Especially at that framerate. Be sure to check back in after release and tell us what you get.

Peterthumpa

First thing I want to know is what the best setting is to turn down as a 970 owner, seeing as you need a 980 for ultra. I guess it's gonna be some of the Gameworks stuff.

Possibly. And probably TXAA too, if that's present, although it probably isn't.

Actually, I'm quite curious about their in-game AA solution. Probably just a post-effect AA like FXAA?

Mononoke

Banned

A man can dream.

I'm hoping for everything max w/ 60 FPS at 2560x1080p w/ GTX 980 + i7 4790k

Interesting to see how my 750 Ti stacks up against consoles :) (I'm buying it on PS4 but it'll be good to know down the line).

As it's UE3 I imagine it will be very well optimised.

Possibly. And probably TXAA too, if that's present, although it probably isn't.

Actually, I'm quite curious about their in-game AA solution. Probably just a post-effect AA like FXAA?

Yeah, recently FXAA seems like the only viable option for new games. Maybe an SMAA solution if we're lucky.

My specs are actually exactly what's listed for Ultra.

I'll probably still have to turn some Gameworks stuff off, though. I seriously doubt that "Ultra" is meant to be a solid 60 FPS with everything maxed.

(If it is, though, woo!)

I'm looking forward to the nvidia tweaking guide.

Tangentially, I was recently surprised to see my GTX970 couldn't max Arkham City at 1080p/60hz with PhysX maxed. I guess this particular implementation was designed with a dedicated PhysX card in mind.

My body is ready, got an i5 4690 and a GTX 980. I should have booked tomorrow off work lol.
Yeah that's gonna be the biggest performance hit with not all that much improvement in fidelity IMO. I personally turn down shadows a bit and make sure I don't use any ridiculous AA.

Interesting that the minimum specs have a lower HDD requirement than the recommended and ultra.

I'm guessing there's an optional high res texture pack, then?

For those running 7950s or other AMD cards, what exactly is wrong with it? Is the performance just bad? Really want to play this game.

Chindogg

I'm looking forward to the nvidia tweaking guide.

Tangentially, I was recently surprised to see my GTX970 couldn't max Arkham City at 1080p/60hz with PhysX maxed. I guess this particular implementation was designed with a dedicated PhysX card in mind.

Really?

I could max mine on my 770.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
This is promising. Drivers ready before the game drops (at 10pm my time no less). Really hoping for a great port for the last game in Rocksteady's trilogy.

Red Hood

Banned
I'm anxious to see how my 280X performs, considering the last-minute higher minimum requirements and the "known issues with AMD cards".

Peterthumpa

This is promising. Drivers ready before the game drops (at 10pm my time no less). Really hoping for a great port for the last game in Rocksteady's trilogy.

Looks like the same thing happens with every major NVIDIA sponsored title. Been there, done that with TW3, GTA V, etc. But yeah, better than nothing, for sure.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So what are the chances of getting this to run at at least 30fps on a GT 750M with an i7-4700 and 8GB RAM? Not super concerned with visuals, just want to play.

Red Hood

Banned
So what are the chances of getting this to run at at least 30fps on a GT 750M with an i7-4700 and 8GB RAM? Not super concerned with visuals, just want to play.

Seeing as the GTX 660 is a "minimum requirement" and it's a better card, I'd say a GT 750M doesn't bode too well to be honest...

You might give it a try and see how it runs for you. If you're not satisfied, you can always refund it.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I7-3770k and gtx 760 here, I'll report when it's done downloading .

jrcbandit

Okay. I've heard bad things about the last few updates for some games (GTA, Witcher)
Very bad things, Nvidia drivers have started crashing when alt tabbed and using Google chrome. Sometimes just using Google chrome is enough without even being in a game. Never had this issue pre witcher 3 drivers.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seeing as the GTX 660 is a "minimum requirement" and it's a better card, I'd say a GT 750M doesn't bode too well to be honest...

You might give it a try and see how it runs for you. If you're not satisfied, you can always refund it.

Yeah I'm not really holding my breath or anything. I'm planning on building a PC soon so I'll probably just hang onto the game if it's not playable. Thanks for the input though.

Top Bottom