• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraBuch

Banned
Time to download some GB videos and put 'em on my tablet. I shall start with the Mario Party Party and Random PC Game videos!

daydream

Banned
What qualifies as spoiler culture?

oversensitivity paired with self-imposed exposure to potentially "spoiler-filled" media, prioritising of self-indulgent story bits over structure/mechanics/stuff that actually matters and can be experienced, merciless hyperbole with no sense of proportion in the "aftermath" (aka the lament of the unscathed)

that about covers it, i think

I think it's when people put spoilers at the back of their cars and go "wow I'm so cool like Vin a Diesel now".

also this

oversensitivity paired with self-imposed exposure to potentially "spoiler-filled" media, prioritising of self-indulgent story bits over structure/mechanics/stuff that actually matters and can be experienced, merciless hyperbole with no sense of proportion in the "aftermath" (aka the lament of the unscathed)

I don't know. Surprise can have a huge impact on enjoyment even if its absence rarely ruins the whole experience. To use AK as an example, there were a few things I wish I hadn't known when I started the game, one of which gets mentioned in the Bombcast. Also, what about when the story parts are inextricably linked to mechanics? Like that one part in a certain indie game that we certainly failed to name 10 games superior to it? That realization makes the game, and I'd argue it's not worth playing if you know about it.

my car came with a spoiler but i feel like it doesn't deserve one and i'm just lying to people :(

Replace it with something more honest, like a painting of an anime girl.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My favorite is when people are mad at spoilers for special moves in fighting games

Or the classic "diablo 3 boss is diablo"

If the story relies on an easily spoilable twist to be satisfying it's either a problem with the reader/viewer/player or the story probably isn't very good.

Just spoiled something from the malazan books, but hey the shit was still cool when I read it

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wait wait wait...

Some people pronounce it CROWN or CRAN instead of CRAY-ON?

WHAT?

If this is the road you want to go down, know you can never come back.

kWYFiPt.png

daydream

Banned
i thought tale of tales started out pretty strongly but yeah, bientôt l'été was a bit of a misstep (even though i liked it more than most people) and luxuria superbia was all the way ill-conceived. i'm still very curious to check out 'sunset', of course. who knows when i'll get around to that, though

If the story relies on an easily spoilable twist to be satisfying it's either a problem with the reader/viewer/player or the story probably isn't very good.

Just spoiled something from the malazan books, but hey the shit was still cool when I read it
I'm on book 8 of Malazan but a while back I got "spoiled" on what the very last line of the series is. It weirdly made me more motivated to finish.

tchocky

I bet Austin is in it

But seriously, fuck those devs for their pompous acting on Twitter.

They have always been like that but the guy, Michael I think his name is has stopped talking so much in the last few years so people kind of forgot how big of jerks they were. I always thought of them as the indie version of David Cage believing the future of games was removing all the game mechanics and game parts, they wanted it to be closer to the art world while Cage wanted it closer to the film world.

They have always been like that but the guy, Michael I think his name is has stopped talking so much in the last few years so people kind of forgot how big of jerks they were. I always thought of them as the indie version of David Cage believing the future of games was removing all the game mechanics and game parts, they wanted it to be closer to the art world while Cage wanted it closer to the film world.

Hehe. Cage's games atleast are serviceable and passable. From what I hear, Sunset is a glitchfest and wasn't that well made.

danm999

Some practical examples;

People were mad at speculation several years ago that Fallout 4 would take place in Boston because they considered it a spoiler.

People were mad on this very board that in a Twin Peaks discussion thread, there were spoilers for Twin Peaks.

I have seen people complain historical discussions of Prohibition era America have spoiled what was probably going to happen in Boardwalk Empire.

When a very brutal scene in GoT was depicted allegorically as a result of a particular match in a World Cup thread last year, there were people complaining it was a spoiler.

The last one was particularly egregious because if people simply hadn't said "OMG GAME OF THRONES EPISODE WHATEVER SPOILERS", it wouldn't have been clear to anybody who hadn't already seen that plot point it was a spoiler at all.

Teddified

Looks like a new Jackbox game came out. I hope they bring it on to UPF (the Thursday show) I've missed the lack multiplayer stuff on it. Hell something like duck game and all that would be enjoyable to watch for me.

on the one hand, only liking art made by likable people is naive and frankly an immature worldview

on the other, blaming your audience for your own failures will get you nothing, even in some ideal world

tchocky

on the one hand, only liking art made by likable people is naive and frankly an immature worldview

on the other, blaming your audience for your own failures will get you nothing, even in some ideal world

I still like their games (Cage as well) mainly the early ones The Graveyard and The Path. I think they are important to the development of indie games and their work has probably lead to great games like Gone Home.

They have always been like that but the guy, Michael I think his name is has stopped talking so much in the last few years so people kind of forgot how big of jerks they were.

That's kind of like how everyone forgot Lorne Lanning is a 9/11 truther or that David Cage is French. Unless it's really bad, we tend to forget the less savory aspects of people creating our entertainment because the press cycle tends to be really product focused instead of creator focused. Obvious exceptions are the big names like Miyamoto and the outspoken indie folks like Phil Fish, but you're typically not going to get articles where the press picks someone's brain disconnected from a specific product.

demidar

That's kind of like how everyone forgot Lorne Lanning is a 9/11 truther or that David Cage is French. Unless it's really bad, we tend to forget the less savory aspects of people creating our entertainment because the press cycle tends to be really product focused instead of creator focused. Obvious exceptions are the big names like Miyamoto and the outspoken indie folks like Phil Fish, but you're typically not going to get articles where the press picks someone's brain disconnected from a specific product.

This is news to me.

Some practical examples;

we also live in a world of trigger warnings and safe rooms. those things have their merits on paper and probably in some specific situations but frankly we're witnessing the Age of the Coddled and I'm having a hard time believing that closing your eyes and pretending bad things don't exist is a viable societal strategy.

danm999

we also live in a world of trigger warnings and safe rooms. those things have their merits on paper and probably in some specific situations but frankly we're witnessing the Age of the Coddled and I'm having a hard time believing that closing your eyes and pretending bad things don't exist is a viable societal strategy.

And maybe with spoilers it is a subjective thing based on the individual.

I remember when Vinny talked about the plot of the Fall at GOTY last year, it made me think "I have to go play that game now and see how they manage that". It did not ruin the game for me, or turn me off of it.

shit man, I'm playing The Fall right now and it has some of the most horseshit adventure game puzzle design I've seen in a while, coupled with a terrible interface

loving everything else but some parts are just a chore

I especially liked when I found a pair of wire cutters and a spool of wire and tried to use them together and it said "I don't need any wire right now"

FUCK OFF

This got a legitimate unexpected laugh out of me.

And maybe with spoilers it is a subjective thing based on the individual.

I remember when Vinny talked about the plot of the Fall at GOTY last year, it made me think "I have to go play that game now and see how they manage that". It did not ruin the game for me, or turn me off of it.

Conversely, not knowing about the ending made it all the more effective to me and makes me really want to find out what happens next. Without the full impact of the ending, it's still a superb adventure game about AI, but it loses its subversive impact. But that's a rare case, I think, because, honestly, do you really give a shit that the disembodied voice in every Ken Levine game is actually a bad guy?

If you are talking to someone who already knows the spoilers, you don't need to specify what it is because they already know what it is unless there is a debate in which explaining it will defend your side. Which is why GOTY podcasts and spoilercasts exist.

If you are talking to someone who already knows the spoilers, you don't need to specify what it is because they already know what it is unless there is a debate in which explaining it will defend your side. Which is why GOTY podcasts and spoilercasts exist.

It's interesting to compare how Giant Bomb handles spoilers in GOTY now compared to years ago. I distinctly remember them going off mic when Brad had to explain how Silent Hill: Shattered Memories' ending justified being recognized with an award. Now, they just drop ending spoilers for The Fall.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think brad loving to spoil things that are only a few weeks out is exactly a secret, nor should it be laughed off if people care about it. For me I don't really care about spoilers, but I do think it better to have a grace period of a few months for the people who do care about it. Or at least put a warning beforehand.

So, are we getting a long 4th of July stream on Wednesday and then their gone for the week? I'm on summer break so i'm not sure how the long weekend is working this year

I can't think of a specific moment in a game that I would have been upset had it been spoiled for me. I can think of plenty of TV moments that I would have been really upset about, but for games, the moments that mostly blow me away aren't really story twists and turns, but gameplay experiences that can't really be spoiled.

Liie, Winter in The Last of Us. I don't think you can spoil that for me because what made it great was the gameplay of that section, not necessarily the story. Maybe already knowing the story would remove some tension from that gameplay, but it's still worth experiencing for yourself.

Actually, now that I think of it, if the sunset sand surfing in Journey had been spoiled for me, it wouldn't have had nearly the impact that it did

Edit: okay the end of bioshock infinite would have been a bummer if it'd been spoiled but i think that's mostly because that game became kind of a slog towards the end and I literally played it in two days just so I could get the story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom