• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

CJ when asked about the new Metroid game

giphy.gif

SuperPac

CJ when asked about the new Metroid game

giphy.gif

Did I say I thought it was good? I thought I said I trust Next Level would make a good game and the vitriol being thrown at it was disappointing. I didn't say OHMIGOSH I'm gonna run out and buy it without ever playing it! I don't have occasion to play 3DS multiplayer games very often and probably wouldn't be buying it. The Zelda game has online multiplayer thankfully but otherwise I'm not sure I'd buy that either.

Einbroch

Banned
Which opinions, specifically?

It's probably a generational thing.

Stuff like the Rare Collection does absolutely nothing for me. It's got some cool "museum" features, but they're just emulated games with some little challenges that we've all played before. I'd rather see new games than emulation. Stuff like getting excited over virtual console releases, etc. Backwards compatibility is another thing I just can't care about, but everyone on the panel went nuts for it, like it was a homerun.

I mean, I own zero games. I rent every game I play (except digital only). Like Mike, I play a game, beat it, then get rid of it. And this isn't a platform thing, I too was disappointed in Sony. Woo, a bunch of games that we'll see next year at E3 again. And probably the year after that.

Again, not a criticism. I just think our tastes are different. Still think the show is hilarious.

But thanks for bringing Death's Gambit and all the other games to consoles, I know it was all you.

I was surprised you guys were that excited about Xbox One's backwards compatibility considering it's going to be by a game by game basis, same as the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility. It's a cool feature no doubt but it doesn't mean you're going to be able to pack up your old 360 if you want to play all of your old games.

I was surprised you guys were that excited about Xbox One's backwards compatibility considering it's going to be by a game by game basis, same as the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility. It's a cool feature no doubt but it doesn't mean you're going to be able to pack up your old 360 if you want to play all of your old games.

For me it is more about XBLA games. There are still some awesome games on the 360 I will want to go back to, especially games not getting the HD remake treatment. Not that publishers would want to make those available for BC anyways, would rather sell the HD version.

Massa

It's probably a generational thing.

Stuff like the Rare Collection does absolutely nothing for me. It's got some cool "museum" features, but they're just emulated games with some little challenges that we've all played before. I'd rather see new games than emulation. Stuff like getting excited over virtual console releases, etc. Backwards compatibility is another thing I just can't care about, but everyone on the panel went nuts for it, like it was a homerun.

I mean, I own zero games. I rent every game I play (except digital only). Like Mike, I play a game, beat it, then get rid of it. And this isn't a platform thing, I too was disappointed in Sony. Woo, a bunch of games that we'll see next year at E3 again. And probably the year after that.

Again, not a criticism. I just think our tastes are different. Still think the show is hilarious.

But thanks for bringing Death's Gambit and all the other games to consoles, I know it was all you.

That's what's cool about E3 though, there's something for everyone. I couldn't care less about Shenmue or the Final Fantasy remake but it's still fun to see other people lose their shit over it.

If you go with the mindset of "I don't like this, they should make what I like instead" you're never going to be happy about any of these.

Einbroch

Banned
That's what's cool about E3 though, there's something for everyone. I couldn't care less about Shenmue or the Final Fantasy remake but it's still fun to see other people lose their shit over it.

If you go with the mindset of "I don't like this, they should make what I like instead" you're never going to be happy about any of these.
Nowhere did I say that, though. I just said we had different tastes.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Yeah, that last episode was kinda weird in that I pretty much disagreed with almost everything they said. Not that different opinions are wrong, I like me some good discussion. It just never happened in one of the previous episodes.

Yeah, that last episode was kinda weird in that I pretty much disagreed with almost everything they said. Not that different opinions are wrong, I like me some good discussion. It just never happened in one of the previous episodes.

All good, at least we agree on your tag.

Episode 450: Loved It Until I Saw The Price Tag

This week! Some more E3 thoughts, including chat on Nintendo’s showing, Shenmue 3’s Kickstarter, Fallout Shelter, and tons more. Plus: LEGO Jurassic World, Elite: Dangerous, The Witcher 3, and so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/06_23_15-Episode450.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/450
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/n_e14zxq5NQ
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

Alucrid

Banned
They were losing me hard in that e3 episode. At least until Nintendo. We can all agree that their thing sucked. The best thing about it wasn't even made by them.

Episode 451: Got Issues

This week! Rich Grisham joins us to chat about video games. Topics include Batman Arkham Knight’s issues, Destiny’s issues, Halo’s issues, Yu Suzuki’s issues and more. Oh, plus Forza Horizon 2, Mario Kart 8, Massive Chalice, Splatoon, The Order 1886 and so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/06_30_15-Episode451.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/451
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/dfFSNDo1J0M

I'm sure other people will say the same thing on Twitter and other forums, but a decent gaming PC really isn't that expensive. If you want to play games at high resolutions or really high framerates than yeah, you're going to spend over a grand. But if you're happy with 1080p with graphics and framerates similar to consoles then you're looking at a couple hundred bucks over the price of an X1, not $800. Plus you can upgrade later, get "backwards compatibility" for last gen games without the need for re-releases, and have access to cheap games via Steam, GMG, etc.

Anyway, good episode. Bummer mik hasn't been on in so long, hope you're doing OK if you read this btw. I'm actually really liking the recent rotation of Rich and Kevin for the third/ fourth chair though, just started listening to their other podcasts even though I'm not really that into sports or retro games.

I hope someone else picks up the Witcher, I totally agree with Sewart, that game is amazing and it's the only thing I played in the month it took to beat it. There's a lot of story bits that are really memorable, it'd be cool to hear you guys discuss stuff like the Bloody Baron plot.

I wonder why readers don't get bored of seeing the same articles over and over again. People were talking about preorders 9 years ago in the 1up Yours days. Hard to believe Kotaku (or the P1P crew) has anything left to say. Personally I'm in the Rich camp of "I'll buy it in six months."

I zoned out through most of that and the whole "what are reviews" discussion. Feels like the industry is spinning its wheels. I'm interested in VR if only because it has a chance to freshen up the talk around games

I'd like to welcome CJ to the legion of the damned: those of us with the temerity to have enjoyed our time with The Order: 1886 in an era when the only socially acceptable opinion is to act like it gave you super-AIDS.

LiK

Is it me or has Phil become a lot more cynical? He didn't seem excited by any of the E3 announcements. Even the big surprises had a very meh reaction.

I wonder why readers don't get bored of seeing the same articles over and over again. People were talking about preorders 9 years ago in the 1up Yours days. Hard to believe Kotaku (or the P1P crew) has anything left to say. Personally I'm in the Rich camp of "I'll buy it in six months."

I zoned out through most of that and the whole "what are reviews" discussion. Feels like the industry is spinning its wheels. I'm interested in VR if only because it has a chance to freshen up the talk around games

Is there really anything to talk about beyond "It's more immersive" or whatever? When I see a movie in 3D the discussion afterward isn't any different than it would have been if the movie weren't in 3D. People will geek out about the tech for awhile but beyond that I don't think it's going to freshen anything up in the long run.

Is there really anything to talk about beyond "It's more immersive" or whatever? When I see a movie in 3D the discussion afterward isn't any different than it would have been if the movie weren't in 3D. People will geek out about the tech for awhile but beyond that I don't think it's going to freshen anything up in the long run.
VR is very different from watching a movie in 3D.

VR is very different from watching a movie in 3D.

Sometimes. Stuff like the Insomniac game basically is just playing a game in 3D, right? I could be wrong, but after the initial "Wow it's so cool it feels like you're actually there!" discussions I don't see how VR is going to fundamentally change gaming.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

There's things your brain does with VR that is very hard to explain. You'll instinctively do a lot of things you don't expect. It's far more than just "put it in first person mode" as everything changes, and devs that capitalize on that are going to be able to provide experiences you can't get anywhere else. It comes with a lot of surprise drawbacks. I reckon CJ would vomit nonstop at anything more lively than a walking simulator, and even then he may ralph.

Apparently even things like making decisions REALLY changes when you're in VR because your brain attaches things to it. It's fascinating. Not seeing it on a screen really changes a lot.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Is it me or has Phil become a lot more cynical? He didn't seem excited by any of the E3 announcements. Even the big surprises had a very meh reaction.

I've never been a fan of Shenmue or Final Fantasy VII, so those do nothing for me other than "good for the fans, I suppose." Last Guardian's been MIA for so long that it just sort of sailed right past me. I'm sure it will be great, though.

And Nintendo's showing was weeeeeeeeeeak, and I pretty much always find a handful of games I'm super stoked about during Nintendo's shows (although Mario Maker looks di-i-i-vine).

One of the big, shameful holes in my gaming knowledge is Fallout. I've never played any of those, and I feel like I probably should sometime. That's why the Fallout 4 news just bounced off me.

LiK

I've never been a fan of Shenmue or Final Fantasy VII, so those do nothing for me other than "good for the fans, I suppose." Last Guardian's been MIA for so long that it just sort of sailed right past me. I'm sure it will be great, though.

And Nintendo's showing was weeeeeeeeeeak, and I pretty much always find a handful of games I'm super stoked about during Nintendo's shows (although Mario Maker looks di-i-i-vine).

One of the big, shameful holes in my gaming knowledge is Fallout. I've never played any of those, and I feel like I probably should sometime. That's why the Fallout 4 news just bounced off me.

Ah, ok. Imagine if there was a new Mega Man announcement heh

I'm sure other people will say the same thing on Twitter and other forums, but a decent gaming PC really isn't that expensive. If you want to play games at high resolutions or really high framerates than yeah, you're going to spend over a grand. But if you're happy with 1080p with graphics and framerates similar to consoles then you're looking at a couple hundred bucks over the price of an X1, not $800. Plus you can upgrade later, get "backwards compatibility" for last gen games without the need for re-releases, and have access to cheap games via Steam, GMG, etc.
Yeah, it was weird to hear this myth come up again. I thought they would be better informed by now. I used to believe the same things until about 5 years ago when I built a gaming PC on a whim. It makes me wonder when the myth was true, if ever.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944920

Yeah, it was weird to hear this myth come up again. I thought they would be better informed by now. I used to believe the same things until about 5 years ago when I built a gaming PC on a whim. It makes me wonder when the myth was true, if ever.

I was listening to P1P-favorite podcast Rebel FM and Gies claimed it would take $2,500 to build a PC to use with Oculus/ other VR devices. And he's talked on the show about building PCs before, so he should know. I'm not sure why it's still so common to hear exaggerations about the price of PCs.

But yeah, PCs really aren't that expensive if you aren't fixated on getting the best of the best. If you drop the SSD from the "Good" build in the New PC thread and put that money towards a better graphics card you'll get something that will run games better than X1 and PS4 for about $550.

I stayed out of the Nintendo debate but I was nodding in agreement with Kevin throughout the cast. Great discussion this week. As for Nintendo's diversity, I think the Animal Crossing team is 50:50, if not more women.

SickBoy

It wasn't a myth in the late 90s and early 2000s -- in those days, I bought systems that were broadly seen as the prime value machines (lots of room for overclocking and performance tweaking, good upgrade path), and the cost of entry then was a fair bit higher, at least in Canadian terms.

...and the 3D graphics arms race saw me chew through three pricey 3D accelerator cards in the course of a few years.

In the last several years, things have been much better because there's less of an arms race.... and low level graphics (low detail settings etc.), still look pretty decent. The idea that you could still use a four- or five-year-old gaming PC today and still get passable results in a new game would probably have Y2K SickBoy laughing at you.

I'm a bit conflicted over the defense of PCs. From everything I've seen, the PC experience is more trouble-free than it's been since the introduction of patches. The idea that a PC is $800 or 900 more than a console isn't accurate.

But at the same time, I do think gaming PC prices are a bit underreported -- the builds from the PC thread are immediately $100-ish low, assuming you want a legitimate copy of Windows and some basic input devices... and I don't think it's for everyone, especially at the low level, where you're essentially looking at "similar-to-console" performance -- you're ultimately paying more and getting the occasional weird PC issue (drivers/finicky performance/whatever)

On a personal level, I'm forever sizing up a PC build and I find it hard to put something together for much less than 900 Canadian rubles (or more than a PS4 and an XB1 combined). Of course, that speaks to my specific desires (small form factor, a certain degree of power, etc.) I know at a certain level, I'll spend more time trying to perfectly optimize a game's settings than actually playing it... so I feel like there's a certain level above "acceptable specs" that I have to start at.

So, you guys talk about representation and diversity in games and how it is a good thing, but outside of Dana and CJ's wife in the pizzacast years and years ago, you guys don't have female guests on the show (if my memory is correct). I know sometimes you get guests at last minute, but why not schedule guests far enough into the future so you can have diversity on the show itself? I hope that question doesn't come across as an aggressive "you talk the talk but can you walk the walk" comment, but it was something I thought about during this episode since you guys have always been on the inclusive side of things.

eznark

Banned
P1P is know to hate Microsoft, women, minorities and sunlight. Also they are likely to burn a treadmill on your lawn.

So, you guys talk about representation and diversity in games and how it is a good thing, but outside of Dana and CJ's wife in the pizzacast years and years ago, you guys don't have female guests on the show (if my memory is correct). I know sometimes you get guests at last minute, but why not schedule guests far enough into the future so you can have diversity on the show itself? I hope that question doesn't come across as an aggressive "you talk the talk but can you walk the walk" comment, but it was something I thought about during this episode since you guys have always been on the inclusive side of things.

It's not like they have guests anyway, Rich and Kevin are basically regulars now. Most of the less frequent guests are guys because the guests are all people who worked on the magazines with the hosts. There's probably a handful of women acquainted with more than one of the hosts who might agree to be on the show, and it's obvious that scheduling the show is already difficult.

In a perfect world it'd be nice to have more different voices, but the scheduling alone makes it impractical. Not to pick on Rebel FM, but they talk about the representation of women in games a lot, with Gies often making it a focus in his reviews, and they all work with women who write about games for a living and fail to have any female guests on their show. I don't think its because they secretly don't care, it's that scheduling a podcast with a bunch of busy people is hard.

Episode 452: Playing It Before Slaying It

This week! Kevin Larrabee joins us to talk about video games. Inside you’ll find discussion of the PlayStation/SNES CD prototype, Mega64's Federation Force video, Triforce Heroes sez No Girls Allowed, Analogue NT, Shenmue 3, Splatoon, Driveclub, Tetris DS and so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/07_07_15-Episode452.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/452
Youtube: https://youtu.be/jAtbBr9XA8I

Cathcart

Did CJ not see Guardians of the Galaxy? Lee Pace was Ronan.

Justified is great, though. Seasons 2 and 4 especially are some of my all time favorite TV.

SuperPac

Did CJ not see Guardians of the Galaxy? Lee Pace was Ronan.

Justified is great, though. Seasons 2 and 4 especially are some of my all time favorite TV.

I did see Guardians. Ronan barely looks like Lee Pace and the makeup and voice didn't do anything to remind me of him.

Moofers

I have to say its super refreshing to hear the P1 guys speak positively about Shenmue after being turned off by some of my other podcast staples and the borderline saltiness about its existence.

Also, I really like that the P1 crew actually appreciates Nintendo stuff and talks about them with something other than utter contempt. They can recognize the areas where Nintendo needs to get a clue, but also give credit where its due. Again, the other "popular" podcasts I enjoy have to work to find something to say about Nintendo other than "Well they appeal to their fanbase." I'm not even a diehard Nintendo fan, just an old one who skipped their last two pieces of hardware and is thoroughly enjoying the Wii U. Its great to hear the crew acknowledge its games and even be excited for them.

Cynicism in general is getting really, really tired for me. I thought the great reactions to E3 were so exhilarating and it started to make me realize how negative a lot of commentary around the industry had become from both fans and press especially.

Since the P1 crew browses this thread, I'll say the only gripes I have with the show are when Phil acts up (singing, doing the Family Guy thing with a joke for too long, etc) and the lousy intro music. Not too shabby, really. Keep up the great work, fellas.

SickBoy

Maybe I'm a modern Nintendo fan, but I'm not a person with long, emotional ties to the company or the franchises.

I agree with Greg that platform isn't all that important for a lot of what they're producing... but I totally get CJ's reluctance. Sega's situation was obviously quite different, but their spotty track record after the Dreamcast would make me nervous about Nintendo as well.

I'm not quite sure I entirely got Kevin's point about the "real" new 3DS. If he's saying they're going to produce another solely handheld platform, I disagree. If their next home console is less than three years away and it's not some sort of convergent home/mobile platform, I think it's dead in the water.

Moofers

Maybe I'm a modern Nintendo fan, but I'm not a person with long, emotional ties to the company or the franchises.

I agree with Greg that platform isn't all that important for a lot of what they're producing... but I totally get CJ's reluctance. Sega's situation was obviously quite different, but their spotty track record after the Dreamcast would make me nervous about Nintendo as well.

I'm not quite sure I entirely got Kevin's point about the "real" new 3DS. If he's saying they're going to produce another solely handheld platform, I disagree. If their next home console is less than three years away and it's not some sort of convergent home/mobile platform, I think it's dead in the water.

I think Kevin meant another special edition of the New 3DS. Not a new piece of hardware, just a new bundle to keep people buying it or in some cases, buying it again.

SickBoy

He wants the smaller new 3DS with faceplates Japan has

Yeah, I just re-listened to that part and it's a bit more apparent what he's saying -- I think the term "real new 3DS" and CJ's talk about convergence kinda threw me the first time.

Unless the NX is further out than people seem to expect, they'd have to do it real soon, I think.

Top Bottom