• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

i hope the next update is cheaper reward tiers
1000 bucks for a custom corey marshall recording is cool and all, but thats not gonna make much money
i see 3 backers on there so far

physical ps4 or some kind of 60-150 dollar digital tier is what they need
ANYTHING to get 29 dollar backers to up their pledges

and then more stuff to bring in NEW customers(honestly, don't know how they do this. but hey, it's their job not mine. here's hoping they figure it out!)
again, bringing back corey marshall is great. and hopefully brings in some more shenmue fans. but no one else gives a fuck who corey marshall is

Spaghetti

1000 bucks for a custom corey marshall recording is cool and all, but thats not gonna make much money

and then more stuff to bring in NEW customers(honestly, don't know how they do this. but hey, it's their job not mine. here's hoping they figure it out!)
again, bringing back corey marshall is great. and hopefully brings in some more shenmue fans. but no one else gives a fuck who corey marshall is
check the rest of the update. they're looking to do something about the other points you made.

new video, new tiers, new rewards.

i hope to fuck we get ryo's journal as a reward. with one of those little speakers you get in musical birthday cards inside so it plays the music too when it opens.

N.A

Banned

Physical PS4 version is almost certainly coming at this point.

They are working on some kind of Shenmue retrospective video for people new to the series.

Hopefully the physical PS4 version can raise a few hundred thousand in a couple of days.

mattp

check the rest of the update. they're looking to do something about the other points you made.

new video, new tiers, new rewards.

i hope to fuck we get ryo's journal as a reward. with one of those little speakers you get in musical birthday cards inside so it plays the music too when it opens.

that is genius haha
i want one, now

real question is, would it be the shenmue 1 or 2 version of the theme?

I'm really hoping they will have relatively cheap (as in $80-100) Lucky Hit boards. I have never been able to find an affordable, good quality pachinko board, so I will jump on that soooo fast.

if a physical ps4 version is coming I hope you can get the option to choose that over the pc version in some of the higher tiers like the CE, so instead of physical pc digital ps4, you can get physical ps4 and digital pc

will there be the sound of a dreamcast disc drive going ERRR ERRRRR ERRRR ERRRRRR layered over the music when you open the notebook?

if not, no sale

LOL. Awesome! I just got a flood of fond memories rushing to my head of me playing my Dreamcast. Aaaaaaah, the memories....

Spaghetti

if a physical ps4 version is coming I hope you can get the option to choose that over the pc version in some of the higher tiers like the CE, so instead of physical pc digital ps4, you can get physical ps4 and digital pc
yeah that'll probably happen. they just give you a survey at some point in development.

I'm hoping that all the rewards from the survey that was sent out a while back in Update #12 become reality:

Lucky Hit physical board game
Dragon/Phoenix mirror replicas
Ryo's Journal
Stickers and patches
Become an NPC
Have your voice in the game
Ryo's watch replica (they may not do this one since they now have the "actual" watch and some replicas in the grab bags)

mattp

I'm hoping that all the rewards from the survey that was sent out a while back in Update #12 become reality:

Ryo's Journal
Stickers and patches
Become an NPC
Ryo's watch replica (they may not do this one since they now have the "actual" watch and some replicas in the grab bags)

i think ideally, what they need is a reward tier that is more than 30 bucks, but under 200. is digital. and can be implemented relatively easily for the dev team. so they can make some extra money from 29 dollar tier people upgrading, but it won't cost them much

i think ideally, what they need is a reward tier that is more than 30 bucks, but under 200. is digital. and can be implemented relatively easily for the dev team. so they can make some extra money from 29 dollar tier people upgrading, but it won't cost them much

Hmm, I wonder what they could implement without annoying the fanbase. They already have a technique that will be only for backers, as well as capsule toy tickets, but they really can't push those too much further.

I can't think of anything digital that would convince people to spend more than maybe 60-70 bucks.

mattp

Hmm, I wonder what they could implement without annoying the fanbase. They already have a technique that will be only for backers, as well as capsule toy tickets, but they really can't push those too much further.

I can't think of anything digital that would convince people to spend more than maybe 60-70 bucks.

yeah i know, its tough haha
but im coming at it from "what can they sell to get the most profit from" haha
maybe mass produced trinkets/patches could work too
but you always hear how physical rewards can be a nightmare, with these kickstarters

Spaghetti

9 hours left of 'today' and we've basically beaten yesterday's funding. steadily on track to meet or exceed yesterday's backer amount too.

awesome japan getting their act together really helped out.

Soi-Fong

9 hours left of 'today' and we've basically beaten yesterday's funding. steadily on track to meet or exceed yesterday's backer amount too.

awesome japan getting their act together really helped out.

Good to see they're getting their act together. This is Shenmue we're talking about after all.

Spaghetti

At least the huge gaps after those 5-6 goals should line up with the last few days of the Kickstarter :)
yeah, really hoping we get into the 6 million area not only for the FREE battle enhancements, but also just to take the crown of the highest funded gaming kickstarter.

I kinda wish he mixed up the stretch goals a little more, like one for Baisha, then one for Choubu and so on, just to even out the game. Of course I'm not the designer so maybe that isn't possible.

Spaghetti

I kinda wish he mixed up the stretch goals a little more, like one for Baisha, then one for Choubu and so on, just to even out the game. Of course I'm not the designer so maybe that isn't possible.
yeah, but it seems a lot of the baisha stretch goals like infiltration mission and character perspective system are really important ones to hit.

Shadders

I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of voice acting. In 2000, very few games had more than a few lines of recorded voice - Games like MGS and HL stood out an absolute mile because of their quality acting.

We now have scores of companies whose whole business is recording, directing, casting etc. for video games.

I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of voice acting. In 2000, very few games had more than a few lines of recorded voice - Games like MGS and HL stood out an absolute mile because of their quality acting.

We now have scores of companies whose whole business is recording, directing, casting etc. for video games.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time even trying to think of the last bad voice acting that I have heard. They are certainly the exception rather than the norm today.

Spaghetti

that's a very good point. i really can't think of a video game big or small that i last went "that is some fucked up voice acting"

edit: something more on the analytics side, the corey marshall tier hasn't created the boost we've seen so far today, but instead regular donations in the $29-$200/$500 range. people are either upping their pledges, coming back to the project, or are new to backing this entirely.

cannot wait until that ps4 physical version bomb is dropped. not only will it get people upping pledges but it seems it'll also get new people on-board too.

Shadders

Similarly, a lot of actors would have considered doing voice work for games was "beneath them" back then, and while that's still true for some A-listers today, most actors would happily take the paycheck for acting in games.

Hubble

Ryo's Journal
Stickers and patches
Become an NPC

This is a great underlooked idea. How the hell did they not have stuff like "Create a NPC" or "Have your voice in the game" like other Kickstarters. That is definitely a great way to gain some funding.

I think all in all though, the Kickstarter needs more enticing affordable tiers in the $60-100 range that will get the masses to buy. It has been really disappointing that the recent tiers were very expensive. Of course PS4 physical would accomplish that, and hopefully, they can do that but also something that is attractive for slightly higher to capture a lot of people. I think this is why Bloodstained was able to gain a lot of funding.

Spaghetti

i was trying to find that shenmue 3 petition from 2003 that gained a fair bit of steam (yu suzuki even said he'd seen it), but sadly petition online is no longer operating so i can't find out the numbers.

i do believe that we're heading over the amount of people who signed that petition. i think it topped out at 50,000, and that was probably with a few duplicate signings. crazy to think all that's changed since then, and that we're going to soundly beat that petition number with people who are willing to pay for the game up front!

J2 Cool

Ryo's Journal
Stickers and patches
Become an NPC

Ryo's journal feels like an easy one. Would definitely buy. Though I've pledged the amount it would cost already probably.

It would be cool if they offered the journal in two ways:

Blank to use as an actual journal/notebook and (more expensive) complete with every possible note from Shenmue I and II (minus perhaps the clues from Lapis and the other fortune tellers in II).

Shenmue is the only game that my close to launch DreamCast refuses to play. I bought Shenmue at its launch too and I beat it, but I cannot play it :(.

Funnily enough, at the time of Shenmue's release it took me 3 trips to the store to get a copy that my year old at the time DC could play.

I had got up super early so I could get the train into town and be there for when the store opened. Got home put the disc in, got through the opening cutscene and it would just freeze just before the gameplay part. Immediately sunk into despair, then decided I wasn't going to take it, got back on the train, back to the store, exchanged it, back home and the same thing happened. I decided there that I didn't care how many trips it took me, I was going to play Shenmue. Back on the train, back to the store (they were really cool about the whole thing, didn't ask any question like I was trying something dodgy), back home and finally it worked.

So I wonder if Shenmue's disc were a little dodgy to begin with.

About that poll... What was the result?

I don't think that they ever posted? I think they were legitimately gathering data, and likely don't want to tick people off if they say "The majority said that the mirror replicas should be $500. Alright, here they are for $3,000!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom