• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

Somebody on Reddit claims that Breakneck speed won't be in the game. That would be the dealbreaker for me. Anybody have any info on whether this is true? I haven't played without it in forever.

Somebody on Reddit claims that Breakneck speed won't be in the game. That would be the dealbreaker for me. Anybody have any info on whether this is true? I haven't played without it in forever.
I've read that a few times and I really hope it's in, I just can't see why not. Unless they've changed the engine that dramatically, all it should take is changing a number for the scroll speed, like you could in all the PS2 GH games, like the Rock Band games, etc. I need BNS to play, the notes are too clumped together without it. My score increases by a third, if not double with it on. Was hoping that they'd actually add to the options, with different breakneck speed levels like in the Neversoft era GH games, not none whatsoever.

If it's really not in then it's a hell of a deal breaker for me. And I was going to pre-order the band bundle.

Soooo...

-No Practice Mode
-No online play
-No breakneck speed

They're really cutting edges with this one, aren't they?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's weird. They're basically in the position they were with Rock Band 1 in terms of staffing and logistics, but with the expectations of creating a 3rd sequel. So they have to somehow prioritize making new features so that people think it's a worthy sequel but have less people than they did when they probably put out 3 and Beatles.

Soooo...

-No Practice Mode
-No online play
-No breakneck speed

I can understand why they'd cut something like online play out, but practice and hyper speed? Nah. Something about that doesn't seem right. Practice mode is a necessity, there is no way it's been cut out. Online and hyper speed, yeah, it would suck to not have them but it could be worse... I was hoping they'd fix the game so one person can use hyper speed while the rest of the band members play without it.

They better get someone in here to verify that:

1) There is breakneck/hyperspeed as usual.

2) Each player has their own scroll speed like in RB3.

I was going to get RB4 day one but like I said, I don't even want to play it without fast scrolling.

They better get someone in here to verify that:

1) There is breakneck/hyperspeed as usual.

2) Each player has their own scroll speed like in RB3.

I was going to get RB4 day one but like I said, I don't even want to play it without fast scrolling.

Somebody from Harmonix posts in this thread. Perhaps he can comment on the situation?

espher

toymachine's been banging that drum for a little while but I've never seen explicit confirmation that it's out. Seems like it's just not developed yet.

I'd be surprised if it missed the cut - more than I would be that online missed the cut, which I did find surprising, but far less so than keys/PG/PB.

SuperPac

It's weird. They're basically in the position they were with Rock Band 1 in terms of staffing and logistics, but with the expectations of creating a 3rd sequel. So they have to somehow prioritize making new features so that people think it's a worthy sequel but have less people than they did when they probably put out 3 and Beatles.

And, at least Mad Catz needs it to be a hit. That's a tough situation! But yeah, that probably means prioritizing some work over other things especially if they have a set budget and timeline and can't go over it.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I'm just glad they're doing any kind of Rock Band 4. I'm grateful for whatever I can get. Then again I'm a player who only sometimes plays on expert depending on the track, often with no fail on, only played online like twice in RB3, usually play by myself and only guitar, and never touched the speed settings. So I'm still all good. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And, at least Mad Catz needs it to be a hit. That's a tough situation! But yeah, that probably means prioritizing some work over other things especially if they have a set budget and timeline and can't go over it.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I'm just glad they're doing any kind of Rock Band 4. I'm grateful for whatever I can get. Then again I'm a player who only sometimes plays on expert depending on the track, often with no fail on, only played online like twice in RB3, usually play by myself and only guitar, and never touched the speed settings. So I'm still all good. :D
Not having EA or MTV behind them is probably tough as well. At least Guitar Hero still has the Activision muscle behind it.

I liked RB3 online, but I wish they had implemented some way to let everyone in the session play any song that was owned by any player. The fact that everyone had to own the song made it often fairly hit and miss at times. But I can see that it's not really a priority for them at this point - if ever.

I think the lack of a practice mode is probably the most damning missing feature, because the old days of practicing by playing the whole song was really terrible. The lack of hyperspeed seems to be a bit of a slap to the super duper hardcore players, but I guess that's just a rumour right now.

BigDug13

I think the problem Rock Band is going to run into is that true Rock Band fans still own their old consoles and enjoy the feature set of their current Rock Band 3 with cymbal charting, real guitars, keys, etc. And with a fully functional RB3, why would I ever want to downgrade so many features just to play the same basic gameplay on a newer console in a genre where graphics are pretty meaningless? Especially for current 360 RB3 owners who chose PS4 for this gen. There's really no incentive here for me to buy an XBO to move my collection to a downgraded game.

zulux21

I think the problem Rock Band is going to run into is that true Rock Band fans still own their old consoles and enjoy the feature set of their current Rock Band 3 with cymbal charting, real guitars, keys, etc. And with a fully functional RB3, why would I ever want to downgrade so many features just to play the same basic gameplay on a newer console in a genre where graphics are pretty meaningless? Especially for current 360 RB3 owners who chose PS4 for this gen. There's really no incentive here for me to buy an XBO to move my collection to a downgraded game.

that is easy. to play new songs again.
at release there will be 60 or so new songs to play and that number will likely grow.
sure I will miss some features but there are a ton of songs out there that I would still love to play.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
at release there will be 60 or so new songs to play and that number will likely grow.
sure I will miss some features but there are a ton of songs out there that I would still love to play.
That said, there's already diminishing returns with this because they basically chose all the best classic songs in the previous generation. Although I suppose they could go back and license exclusive songs they lost to Guitar Hero, assuming none of that bullshit is happening this time around. The more contemporary they get though, the least likely I am to want to play the song.

I guess the easy answer is, assuming they are able to bring all the songs over, is that you can retire your 360 version.

Wouldn't most of the post-RB4 DLC still work on 3 though? Not sure if they've confirmed this or not.

jacksrb

Never having owned a Rock Band or Guitar Hero but just playing it at other peoples' houses, I was psyched when RB4 got announced. But that $250 price tag is a non-starter.

Maybe when it goes on sale sometime...game is looking great.

zulux21

Wouldn't most of the post-RB4 DLC still work on 3 though? Not sure if they've confirmed this or not.

as far as I know none of the new DLC is suppose to work for anything but rock band 4.

all of the older dlc will make its way to rock band 4 but I highly doubt it will work the other way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Never having owned a Rock Band or Guitar Hero but just playing it at other peoples' houses, I was psyched when RB4 got announced. But that $250 price tag is a non-starter.

Maybe when it goes on sale sometime...game is looking great.
I wonder if you could find out gear out there nowadays. There was probably a time when it was all super cheap anyway.

espher

I am:

* A player who predominantly plays solo and local multi-only (w/ harmonies).
* A player who predominantly plays vocals and pro drums.
* A player who does not have any form of pro guitar/pro bass.
* A player who bought a keyboard and didn't really use it all that match.
* A player who could probably use some new hardware (but doesn't /need/ it).

Harmonies on legacy content (admittedly, I already have that...), vocal improv, a more robust single-player mode, guitar solo noodling (for party play), cymbal support being retained, the release of new official content (yes, yes, customs are a thing) and the availability of new peripherals are big enough draws for me. Even if I have to buy drop CAD$300 on the bundle and pick up an XB1 and to go with it. It's definitely not for everyone, but there are plenty of 'true' Rock Band fans who will want to 'upgrade' from RB3.

Schlomo

I haven't followed the recent news about this game. Is support for professional drumkits via RB3 Midi Pro adapter still a maybe?

I am:

* A player who players solo and local multi-only (w/ harmonies).
* A player who predominant players vocals and pro drums.

Harmonies on legacy content (admittedly, I already have that...), vocal improv, a more robust single-player mode, guitar solo noodling (for party play), cymbal support being retained, the release of new official content (yes, yes, customs are a thing) and the availability of new peripherals are big enough draws for me. Even if I have to buy drop CAD$300 on the bundle and pick up an XB1 and to go with it. It's definitely not for everyone, but there are plenty of 'true' Rock Band fans who will want to 'upgrade' from RB3.

are you me

this is exactly my use case for rock band

rock band 4 is like the only game left this year that I want and they're hitting every bullet point so far

Lady Gaia

I haven't followed the recent news about this game. Is support for professional drumkits via RB3 Midi Pro adapter still a maybe?

Nothing confirmed one way or another, but it's clearly not a priority. Given that...

Soooo...

-No Practice Mode
-No online play
-No breakneck speed

Not to mention:

- No keys (pro or otherwise)
- No pro guitar
- No confirmation for wired instruments, including e-kits

Yaari

I'll just wait and see whats in the game. My demands are not too high. But I do understand why people feel disappointed when many key (lol) features seem to be missing. A straight up port might have offered more. Perhaps a Backwards Compatible RB3 even would. Too bad they don't support peripheral games.

I don't like the whole MadCatz expecting to pay off their debts through this game. I guess thats what the additional 50$ is for then.

BigDug13

I am:

* A player who predominantly plays solo and local multi-only (w/ harmonies).
* A player who predominantly plays vocals and pro drums.

Yeah I can see this. I love using CCC as well so I have extra roadblocks to upgrading. And the fact that my console of choice switched this gen.

toymachine's been banging that drum for a little while but I've never seen explicit confirmation that it's out. Seems like it's just not developed yet.

I'd be surprised if it missed the cut - more than I would be that online missed the cut, which I did find surprising, but far less so than keys/PG/PB.

BNS isn't in the build they are showing but they keep giving the "maybe" or "we'll be talking about that in the coming months" answer when questioned about it

BNS isn't in the build they are showing but they keep giving the "maybe" or "we'll be talking about that in the coming months" answer when questioned about it

Well, I suggest you get on their butt about Breakneck Speed! I don't care about online, or Pro instruments (Got Pro Drums though, cymbals are in there, right?), or keyboards, but don't ask me to go back to fricking Guitar Hero 1 or Rock Band 1 gameplay without Breakneck/Hyperspeed! NO NO NO!

I can always stick to RB3 and tons of customs. I mean, damn, Harmonix, didn't the $2000 I spent on DLC mean anything to ya? Don't you want me to spend another $2000?

/rant off

I vaguely remember them being this hush in the window leading to RB3's launch too. Seems they want to ensure anything they say is in is definitely in to avoid disappointment.

Doesn't make this less frustrating though.

CS_Dan

I could live without wired instruments if ekits are supported. I'll be SO disappointed if there is no eKit support.

jond76

Banned
I could live without wired instruments if ekits are supported. I'll be SO disappointed if there is no eKit support.

If there's no Ion support I won't even bother transferring my DLC, I'll just play on 360

Remember that Harmonix said this Rock Band would be the platform for the whole generation. So, given a smidge of success I'm sure they will look into adding everything everyone wants eventually.

I have ions, and I'm still buying this day one. I look at it as investing to preserve a brand I love, rather than "gimme gimme gimme" right out the gate.

HARMONIX has always been about listening to the community, that's why all DLC is following us into the future.

If you love the Rock Band experience, then consider your purchase of RB4 as an investment in its future.

espher

I vaguely remember them being this hush in the window leading to RB3's launch too. Seems they want to ensure anything they say is in is definitely in to avoid disappointment.

Doesn't make this less frustrating though.

Considering the fire-putting-out over "omg stage kit support is in" from the IGN leak, I'd say that's a safe bet.

Remember that Harmonix said this Rock Band would be the platform for the whole generation. So, given a smidge of success I'm sure they will look into adding everything everyone wants eventually.

I have ions, and I'm still buying this day one. I look at it as investing to preserve a brand I love, rather than "gimme gimme gimme" right out the gate.

HARMONIX has always been about listening to the community, that's why all DLC is following us into the future.

If you love the Rock Band experience, then consider your purchase of RB4 as an investment in its future.

I never said I wasn't buying RB4, I'm obviously buying it. I just don't see the point of spending hours transferring content for less fun

BigDug13

I own music on Xbox but own only PS4 for this gen. It's a large monetary investment to switch now and I lose access to thousands of songs I currently have on my 360. Where am I going to get my Led Zeppelin fix?

espher

I own music on Xbox but own only PS4 for this gen. It's a large monetary investment to switch now and I lose access to thousands of songs I currently have on my 360. Where am I going to get my Led Zeppelin fix?

Not to pick on you, but I just have to say that given GAF's general stance regarding rawr piracy the "I have customs, why should I bother upgrading" posts always make me smile.

Did they comment on if they will make use of the PS4 camera?
It would be neat if you could set it to automatically record some short clips/compilations from your local multiplayer sessions. Preferably overlayed with gameplay.

They could even offer an augmented reality mode that would kinda look like the streaming mode in The Playroom (artificial spotlights, lasers etc. and watching everyone irl play with masks/heads on etc.). Would probably also entice people to stream RB4.
a5oBKLV.jpg

At least technically stuff like that wouldn't be problematic on the newer consoles as they should have a lot of horsepower left to spend.

Also, ideally the Singstar tech could be implemented for naming specific songs to play. Though I guess their solution with the quick votes is still more practical for indecisive groups.

wtshaolin

Banned
Not sure if this has been asked and answered ad nauseum, and I can't find anything via Google search, but have they mentioned whether or not headset mics would work for singing? Specifically on Xbox One.

Gorger

Well, I suggest you get on their butt about Breakneck Speed! I don't care about online, or Pro instruments (Got Pro Drums though, cymbals are in there, right?), or keyboards, but don't ask me to go back to fricking Guitar Hero 1 or Rock Band 1 gameplay without Breakneck/Hyperspeed! NO NO NO!

I can always stick to RB3 and tons of customs. I mean, damn, Harmonix, didn't the $2000 I spent on DLC mean anything to ya? Don't you want me to spend another $2000?

/rant off

With everything they have scrapped so far, I can almost believe they would ship the game without breakneck speed. Still this is just a big deal breaker as no online... I literally cannot play without breakneck speed.

I don't think I have been more hyped for a game than RB4 at their announcement, just to be completely crushed by all the bad news before the game is even released.

have they shown off character creation or talked about it yet?

It takes forever for 8 people to make characters and then swap whenever but that's how me and my friend's played

Top Bottom