• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yves Guillemot: "We learned from the mistakes we made with Watch Dogs"

Exactly. Example, most ubisoft related threads, pick one and it's always the same shit, someone makes a false blanket statement, all fine, I come in with facts and sources and the reply is almost always
"Lol look at his tag, i'm so clever."

like what's the point? Yes, I'm a fan of Ubisoft games, so what.

No kidding.

It's tempting to try to point out how irrational some of the posts are in threads about Ubi, but I simply see no point. People know what they are going to post in here before they even read whats in the OP and we all know most people don't read the damn OP any friggin way.

EDarkness

It's good that they're okay talking about this tuff...but will it actually translate into anything? That's the million dollar question.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I imagine it's less that you're a vehement fan and more that you conveniently and consistently ignore every conversation you don't like.

Here in this thread, and many threads before this, you state that "no one explains what their complaints are." You say this to dismiss them as bandwagoning or sheep-like complaints, people who aren't worth listening to because they aren't high-minded enough to be discussing these things with you. And yet people do expound on these things, frequently. You just ignore it because it doesn't fit into your narrative.

It's frankly gotten tiring. I don't even bother when you're involved anymore, after trying to explain my feelings on ACU several times to you, you simply leave the thread and then appear in the next one saying "No one can say why they dislike it!"

To put it more simply: it probably has a lot less to do with your inexplicable, heart-heavy preferences and more your inability to argue in good faith.
Yea that's definitely nonsense, consistently i'm the last person to say something in the thread. And to use an example in this thread:stating "bad shooting" isn't explaining what you don't like, what's bad about the shooting? Input lag, floaty, etc? Just stating that something is bad isn't an explanation. And then the narrative that you tried to present in this thread because you purposefully try to pretend like yearly releases=no time for engine changes or radical gameplay changes or even general improvements, this is completely false. When you're constantly using that argument that's based on of something that's just not true than you aren't really trying to have a discussion. And no i've never stated that "no one can dislike these games."

Vire

A company infamous for lying and false promises... Promises they are done lying.

Ok sure. Can't wait to see Cocaine Lands next year Ubi.

Crossing Eden

Yves in full defense mode one again in an ubi thread. Shocking.
You're not the first to ignore what i'm saying in favor of passively aggressively attacking me.

Well...,

*looks at tag*

Eh.

I read UBI threads just for Crossing Eden posts.

Cant say Im not entertained :p

On another note, dat tagline lol

You wanna try to address what i'm saying Radec? Or was that just another driveby?

Yea that's definitely nonsense, consistently i'm the last person to say something in the thread.

So, someone tells you "this is why you come off like this in these threads", proceeds to explain, and your response is "that's definitely nonsense"? Sounds awfully familiar.

ears2.jpg

crimilde

Banned
You're not the first to ignore what i'm saying in favor of passively aggressively attacking me.

You wanna try to address what i'm saying Radec? Or was that just another driveby?

I'm kinda new here and frankly it was my first time seeing that tagline of yours. And I found it funny given the thread title. I'm not passively agressively attacking you. :) Sorry if it seemed that way.

I can see why people might like Ubisoft games, personally except Far Cry I'm not a fan of their titles, but either way, you can like a company's games and still question some of it's decisions, like people are doing. I don't see anything wrong with people calling them out on their bullshit and I think neither should you. Feedback is a gift, if given correctly, of course.
And I think most of the skepticism involving these kinds of PR statements comes from people having been burnt by them in some way. It's hard to get back people's sympathy once you lost it, especially when you're a big corporation like Ubisoft.

Crossing Eden

So, someone tells you "this is why you come off like this in these threads", proceeds to explain, and your response is "that's definitely nonsense"? Sounds awfully familiar.

ears2.jpg
I started with "that's nonsense," and proceeded to explain why. If I had just said "that's nonsense" you'd have a point.

I'm kinda new here and frankly it was my first time seeing that tagline of yours. And I found it funny given the thread title. I'm not passively agressively attacking you. :)
Yes, it's quite common,
(around 90% of ubi threads that I participate in)
for someone to mention my tag in response to one of my posts. It's one of the things that i'm just completely fed up with at this point. No hard feelings.

ears2.jpg

Taking any posters in particular out of the equation, don't you guys think it's kind of unproductive to just "call people out" so to speak?

Every time I see this happen in threads it just seems like a waste of energy to me. Makes more sense just to ignore someone if you don't feel like there is anything to be gained from discussing something with them doesn't it?

Certainly not trying to tell anyone how to act, I just don't really get it.

I just find it hard to take Ubisoft seriously.

It's not that they make bad games, but they make very unexciting games but using the same design template (collectathon, open world, enable tower to reveal more map, that sort of thing) or make exciting games but throw in questionable design choices that kill my excitement.

Rainbow Six Seige is a perfect example. Single player has no team AI. What? Sorry, excuse me, what? This "Rainbow Six" game, doesn't allow me to play in single player and use different squad commands like previous entries?

(I also don't think calling out Crossing Eden really contributes anything.)

I imagine it's less that you're a vehement fan and more that you conveniently and consistently ignore every conversation you don't like.

Here in this thread, and many threads before this, you state that "no one explains what their complaints are." You say this to dismiss them as bandwagoning or sheep-like complaints, people who aren't worth listening to because they aren't high-minded enough to be discussing these things with you. And yet people do expound on these things, frequently. You just ignore it because it doesn't fit into your narrative.

It's frankly gotten tiring. I don't even bother when you're involved anymore, after trying to explain my feelings on ACU several times to you, you simply leave the thread and then appear in the next one saying "No one can say why they dislike it!"

To put it more simply: it probably has a lot less to do with your inexplicable, heart-heavy preferences and more your inability to argue in good faith.

I would like to see those people in this thread who explained their complaints, because all I see is "Ubi gonna Ubi", "downgrade", "the graphics were the least of it's problem", "don't believe their lies" or a variant of those.

Gator86

Taking any posters in particular out of the equation, don't you guys think it's kind of unproductive to just "call people out" so to speak?

Every time I see this happen in threads it just seems like a waste of energy to me. Makes more sense just to ignore someone if you don't feel like there is anything to be gained from discussing something with them doesn't it?

Certainly not trying to tell anyone how to act, I just don't really get it.

Enh, it's kind of a catch-22. If you try to call someone out for derailing threads or generally irritating behaviors, it's likely to derail a thread. If you don't call them out, they're likely to continue derailing the thread.

Ignoring people is fine for a sole poster who everyone else ignores but doesn't do much when every other post is addressing that poster. You'll just wind up with a derailed, nonsensical discussion because you can't see the eye of the storm.

On topic, I wouldn't read into anything Yves is saying. As others have mentioned, we're just at the stage where they bash the last title and promise everything will be fixed for the new game that's probably creeping up on its announce date. It's as empty a platitude as Bungie or Nintendo saying "We're listening" when people complain.

vpance

I know Watch Dogs gets a lot of shit around here, but I had a lot of fun with it. Ignoring the narrative and graphics downgrade, I think it had some of the better open world driving and gun play in recent memory. I felt it controlled much better than say GTA5.

The missions were better than GTA5's, as was the gunplay and stealth.

For the sequel I'd like to see more intricate convoy style main missions, as in you setup how you go about taking down target.

spannicus

I tell they make sure its running on the system, make sure you can play it..... yeah ok bruh. Aint nobody got time fo dat!

_machine

On topic, I wouldn't read into anything Yves is saying. As others have mentioned, we're just at the stage where they bash the last title and promise everything will be fixed for the new game that's probably creeping up on its announce date. It's as empty a platitude as Bungie or Nintendo saying "We're listening" when people complain.
I think one of the problems here is that "We're listening" doesn't mean the same to everyone (nor does it really give any details as to what it entails) and neither the people here are really the people that Ubisoft really even wants to listen to. They certainly have a lot to fix and their first round with the new consoles left a lot to be desired (they aren't the only ones caught by the difficulties these new consoles have cause for developers), but they are still making the games the majority wants to buy. They aren't going to listen to us when it comes to "their formula", but I do think we'll see them work to overcome some of the technical issues they have had for their latest productions. Especially Unity was a massive learning experience for the teams that worked on it, but there's not much I could go into detail. I would also argue that it doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to The Division, it has no doubt faced most of the same issues that most proprietary engine developers have had and the same issues with working on unfinished tech and software.

Setsuna

The missions were better than GTA5's, as was the gunplay and stealth.

For the sequel I'd like to see more intricate convoy style main missions, as in you setup how you go about taking down target.

you can already decide how to take down a target. its what happens afterwards that's the issue

legacyzero

Banned

No attack at all. I like you to be honest. Strange, knowing my scorching hate for Ubi.

That said, when the consensus is that you most often go on the defensive for Ubi..... It's just unreasonable sometimes, ya know? You cant expect for some not to point out their observations.

Patchy

Banned
They learned from their mistakes? Ha!

No, Steam refunds happened. That's the cause of this change in policy.

OuterLimits

I really don't get the Ubisoft hate. For years they have been making quality games that consumers continue to appreciate and buy in large numbers.

The video game market would be much less appealing without Ubisoft.

I am glad they are making smaller budget games. Child of Light is fantastic..

That's easy to say when you have a more realistic target thanks to the now current gen, I doubt it's going to stop the "vertical slice" problem.

And was Watch Dogs really an "astonishingly detailed recreation of Chicago"? Or was it like a movie Chicago where they had some of the set pieces? Because they fudged a good bit of it, especially the whole outer area.

I really don't get the Ubisoft hate. For years they have been making quality games that consumers continue to appreciate and buy in large numbers.

The video game market would be much less appealing without Ubisoft.

I am glad they are making smaller budget games. Child of Light is fantastic..

Shitty DRM, over promising and under delivering, treating a large segment of their customers as afterthoughts and writing them off as thieves, games that feel like they're being rolled off an assembly line and so on.

Setsuna

They learned from their mistakes? Ha!

No, Steam refunds happened. That's the cause of this change in policy.

Before refunds existed. Ubisoft canceled the season pass gave everyone that bought the season pass a game that was worth more than the season pass was worth, Not to mention they gave everyone that bought the game the dead kings dlc which is like 4 hours of additional content

What did warner brothers do they stopped selling The Arkham Knight and thats about it they are still selling the season pass and still planning to sell DLCs

Crossing Eden

No attack at all. I like you to be honest. Strange, knowing my scorching hate for Ubi.

That said, when the consensus is that you most often go on the defensive for Ubi..... It's just unreasonable sometimes, ya know? You cant expect for some not to point out their observations.
I get it.

That's easy to say when you have a more realistic target thanks to the now current gen, I doubt it's going to stop the "vertical slice" problem.

And was Watch Dogs really an "astonishingly detailed recreation of Chicago"? Or was it like a movie Chicago where they had some of the set pieces? Because they fudged a good bit of it, especially the whole outer area.
The idea was that it would've been "an astonishingly detailed retailed recreation of Chicago." But then they actually got their hands on the hardware, and also had to make it cross gen. Next gen only sequel should be much bigger in terms of scale if Unity is any indication.

I'm quite certain he said "We learned from the mistakes we made with Assassin's Creed" just prior to Watch Dogs launching, in order to reassure fans. I mean, I think it was almost word-for-word the same.

Mr Git

I'm looking forward to the 13 different editions of The Division, where one of them includes the iconic beanie from Main Character.

FLAguy954

Cool, but the game looked fine.

The issues were rather the unrefined gameplay and Aiden.

Lmao the best open world shooter and character controls = unrefined? That's funny.

I do agree with you with Aiden Pierce though, one of the worst protagonists ever. Dude was literally the definition of a mass murderer.

Exactly. Example, most ubisoft related threads, pick one and it's always the same shit, someone makes a false blanket statement, all fine, I come in with facts and sources and the reply is almost always
"Lol look at his tag, i'm so clever."

like what's the point? Yes, I'm a fan of Ubisoft games, so what.

Also this.

It does shooting and stealth exceptionally well, As well as open ended mission design, in a time where GTAV/Saints Row had incredibly scripted main missions, it released with very open mission design where the player can do what they want. Wanna hack you way in without ever stepping into the base, good, wanna go in guns blazing shooting grenades out of midair, great, wanna get in and out both lethally and non lethally, even with just a pistol and some lures even better, you're allowed to do these things in the majority of missions in the game. This punctuated by an incredibly responsive character who gets over obstacles with relatively ease.
7kX.gif

and responds to player input quite fast with no floaty reticle,
nprbpihhejbpnrmqqvla.gif

I never really understood the hate. I thought it controlled extremely well especially in comparison to it's competition. It's story was pretty terrible, but I thought it had some great graphics and some interesting missions. I can see how a WD2 could make some big improvements in the same way that there were big improvements from AC1 to AC2.

Watch_Dogs had the most boring car radio selection of any game of its kind that I've played. In games where you do a lot of driving, that's actually a big deal. GTA's excellent radio stations have always made the Point A to Point B gameplay better than it really deserves to be.

Holy shit, no kidding. I never really thought about it, but yeah the radio was terrible.

antitrop

Last time I checked Ubisoft was still releasing Ubisoft Open World Games™, so I'm gonna chalk this up as a load of shit.

The design template isn't necessarily inherently fucked, it's just hilariously overused. As a yearly franchise already, it would be perfectly fine for just Assassin's Creed, but then last year we got TWO ACs, Watch_Dogs, Far Cry 4, and The Fucking Crew, and that makes it feel like Ubisoft is the most creatively bankrupt developer/publisher in the entire industry.

Crossing Eden

When I played the show floor demo I was explicitly told I could not record any footage. I did receive a backpack for completing the demo though.
Maybe it was only for news outlets and LPers then? You're talking about the gang hideout/Bloody Nora alpha build demo right?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whatever. At this point I'm resigned to how Ubisoft's big generic open world games I couldn't care less about just allow for the funding of stuff like the Rayman games and M&M X that I do.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I never said it didn't make business sense, clearly it sold much better than it deserved. But that doesn't mean they didn't press garbage onto that disc and sent it out to unsuspecting individuals.
Unsuspecting? I think anyone should know what to expect from a Ubisoft Game at this point.

Last time I checked Ubisoft was still releasing Ubisoft Open World Games™, so I'm gonna chalk this up as a load of shit.
Heheh, ayup.

Top Bottom