• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Tales of Xillia 2

jrush64

Banned
I just finished the battle with
Julius
at the beginning of Chapter 15, so many feels. The music is excellent, and when
Julius starts humming....

For a game that I didn't even really like when It first came out It has grown on me.

I started replaying it a couple of weeks ago and I love it way more than Xillia 1. Ludger and Julius are a great set of characters IMO.

The battles are excellent, the only weak parts are some of the character stories aren't that interesting.

Hope to finish it by the end of the weekend.

MSMrRound

the only weak parts are some of the character stories aren't that interesting.

Or the fact that the game is pretty much Tales of Asset Reuse.
finished the game, enjoyed it, but yea...there was a tad too much reusing of assets from ToX...

MegaPanda

Love this game, finished three playthroughs so far to farm for the Grade Shop.
Hoping to start one final playthrough since I missed out on one item in the last run that's used to make one of the ultimate weapons.
Milla's Dual Edge in the Ark Fractured Dimension. Don't leave without it!

galvenize

I'm still mad at how they just
killed off Milla mk2

I really wanted a Ludger Milla ship ;-;

In all seriousness though, the game was way better than the first one. Plot is a huge upgrade.

jrush64

Banned
Or the fact that the game is pretty much Tales of Asset Reuse.
finished the game, enjoyed it, but yea...there was a tad too much reusing of assets from ToX...

That doesn't bother me much. Adding
Gaius to the cast was also genius. Him and Muzet are a great addition to the cast.

@RPGCrazied, no idea.

score01

This reminds me I still need to play this. Really enjoyed Xillia but finding it hard to get into the sequel for some reason.

I finished Xillia quickly after it was released but I've been holding off on playing this one while I finish up the other jrpgs I've been playing (Star Ocean 3 and FF Type-0). I've heard mixed things about the game so I hope it's at least better than Xillia which I though was pretty average for a Tales game.

Bladenic

I just got this in the mail for $30. Do you get anything for having a save file from the first xillia?

Just some attachments, I think a Jude and Milla doll.

Anyway, I love Xillia 2. It's not without issues, but I'd say it's the best Tales game since Vesperia even without the asset reuse. The Xillia cast shines in this game moreso than Xillia 1.

I will say that a lot of alternate dimension stories that got cut sounded really interesting, namely one where
Leia was never born and everything happened the same way it did anyway. Talk about tragic, poor Leia :(

zakujanai

Loved the shit out of Xillia. This was fun for a few hours and then started to bore the hell out of me and I never went back. I think I need to revisit in a few years when the first game is less fresh in my mind.

The reused content is really bad, but I honestly still loved this game. The cast grew on me so much by the end, moreso than any other Tales game.

Ludger shouldn't have been a silent protagonist though, he's very clearly his own character.

Loved both games.
The asset reuse didn't surprise me since I went in expecting pretty much the same as FFX-2 in that regard.

Fj0823

I really wanted to like it since I loved 1 but

a) Ludger is a god, no reason to switch characters ever...
b)debt
c)FF XIII-2 tier of story. You cant follow up those stories with
time/Space trave
l!!! you just cant!!! Expand on the setting on the world!!!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Weird game. The new dungeons were great, but the recycled content was eh. Nice development for all the characters, too. And fuuuuuuck the debt system, and Julius' underused character.

BTW, "bad" ending is the better ending, IMO. Makes more sense.

Xillia 2 hits me with all the feels ;_;

A couple of small things I was 'fascinated' by like this being the first tales game I've played with in game blood pool lol.

Also... henshin!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The story is really strong but silent Ludger is still weird to me.

Milennia

Enjoyed it a bit less than the first game story wise as I really loved getting to know the characters of the first game, however i enjoyed my time greatly with xillia 2.

The ending was a little meh and abrupt for me.

Currently playing it after purchasing from PSN sale.

Started it on HARD blind, and bosses/elite contracts are kicking my ass.

The Chapter 5
electric ball boss
is making me grind levels around.
:O

Don't know how folks can keep playing these. The combat in Graces was alright (way over-praised), but the dungeons and fields are so incredibly linear and snooze-worthy at this point. It's a bad sign when I'm popping holy bottles like an addict to just finish the game.

Mendax

Enjoyed it a bit less than the first game story wise as I really loved getting to know the characters of the first game, however i enjoyed my time greatly with xillia 2.

The ending was a little meh and abrupt for me.

that depends on what ending you got methinks (there are multiple different endings)

Cess007

I just finished the battle with
Julius
at the beginning of Chapter 15, so many feels. The music is excellent, and when
Julius starts humming....

Best moment in the game. I teared up a little bit at that part. The humming man, the humming :'(

Celcius

°Temp. member
Xillia 2 was a great game. I think after Vesperia it's my 2nd favorite. In my opinion, everything about the 2nd is better than the original except for the story. Both have great stories, but I slightly preferred the lighter story of the original. The combat in the sequel is improved and I like how they gave Ludger 3 different fighting styles. Plus the new characters are great (I wish Elle was playable too lol). I would say the music is equal between the two games, but the sequel also has much more post-game content and I've logged more hours in it than the first. Reusing assets didn't bother me and this is one game where the time travel didn't bother me. I think it's one of the best RPG's of all time and definitely will be a classic some day. Was it just me, or did Teepo not talk as much in this one though? I did think he was funnier in the original, but the 2nd game has a darker tone some I guess this would make sense.

BMTR

Neo Member
Xillia 2 could have been my favorite tales even better than Vesperia which is one of my favorite of all time
but wish it was its own game and not a sequel I loved the characters and the story but still disappointed about how much underused the new characters are
I didn't care about the dept or the reused contents what almost killed the game for me were Those damn fields between every town
its the worst thing about both Xillia 1 and 2 without those bland fields I give it a 9/10

and Ludger is the most fun character in any Action JRPG

Kain

I've been playing this game recently and Ludger being an odd mix of silent protagonist and standard one bothers me. I get they are trying to implicate the player more by letting you choose the answers, but why does Ludger speak sometimes in monosyllabes, sometimes he speaks full sentences and most of the time he just looks stupid? Why does the camera have to frame him everytime while he says nothing, just grunts? It has to be the worst attempt at a silent protagonist I've ever seen. That or he is retarded.

Tales games generally get percieved as having bad narratives (stuff that Team Destiny games do nothing but feed), but this is one of those that generally aim darkish, and hits true. I was generally impressed! Plus we got 3 different excellent Milla personalities during the course of the two games and you can't knock that.

Plus everyone was redesigned to ooze with styyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle. Okumura is easily better at this than Inomata or Fujishima.

Reuse isn't an issue, its a direct sequel! Why would you think that?!? The alternate dimensions reruns though...

Currently playing it after purchasing from PSN sale.

Started it on HARD blind, and bosses/elite contracts are kicking my ass.

The Chapter 5
electric ball boss
is making me grind levels around.
:O

This one isn't as "game at war against itself" as X1 was about this thing due to Udo magnificience, but they did add what you found out: more than 2 clustered up near a boss: PBAoE of savage damage spam. You are not going to like Ch. 12...

Consequentially, I played this in Moderate from X1's boss fights being sapped by that so much, so that particular "game at war against itself" issue wasn't as crippling as it could've been.

kewlmyc

Just some attachments, I think a Jude and Milla doll.

Anyway, I love Xillia 2. It's not without issues, but I'd say it's the best Tales game since Vesperia even without the asset reuse. The Xillia cast shines in this game moreso than Xillia 1.

I will say that a lot of alternate dimension stories that got cut sounded really interesting, namely one where
Leia was never born and everything happened the same way it did anyway. Talk about tragic, poor Leia :(

I remember hearing about this. Sad it got cut.

Yeah, Xillia 2 has its huge flaws (silent Ludger, debt system), but I think it's one of the better stories for the 3D Tales. Gameplay was really solid too, with Ludger being on the the funnest Tales characters to play to date. For a child character, Elle was really likable as well. I found the character stories to be interesting though. Only Alt Milla's wasn't that interesting since it didn't really go anywhere. The others had ties to another's character's stories which made them interesting.

BTW, "bad" ending is the better ending, IMO. Makes more sense.

Pretty sure you mean the "normal" ending. "Bad" ending is
Ludger killing everyone
which is the worst ending and kind of out of character.

People's opinions are so divided between the first Xillia and the second. Always kinda funny to read. I wish I enjoyed and finished the first game enough to play the second just because I think I would like the main characters more from what I've seen.

It's a really good game that is only brought down by the reused stuff from the first game, sadly. In some ways, it would have been better if they had skipped Xillia 1 and gone straight to 2, even with the story.

jrush64

Banned
So I just completed the game. I got the true ending with
Elle
at the end of the credits.

So freaking magnificent. It has officially my second favorite Tales game behind Tales of Vesperia. The game started off so slowly but picked up. If you didn't like the beginning, just try and keep at it.

- Tales of Vesperia & Tales of Symphonia
- Tales of Xillia 2
- Tales of Graces
- Tales of Xillia
- Tales of the Abyss
- Tales of Legendia
- Tales of Symphonia 2

I hope Zestiria is good.

So I just completed the game. I got the true ending with
Elle
at the end of the credits.

So freaking magnificent. It has officially my second favorite Tales game behind Tales of Vesperia. The game started off so slowly but picked up. If you didn't like the beginning, just try and keep at it.

- Tales of Vesperia & Tales of Symphonia
- Tales of Xillia 2
- Tales of Graces
- Tales of Xillia
- Tales of the Abyss
- Tales of Legendia
- Tales of Symphonia 2

I hope Zestiria is good.

Most people in Japan were disappointed by Zestiria, also because of the "false" advertising of the character which was promoted so much, but I will play it myself too.

Lagamorph

Ludger shouldn't have been a silent protagonist though, he's very clearly his own character.

Yeah I really can't understand why they went down the silent protagonist route with him, especially since I don't recall a silent protagonist in any other recent Tales game. It was a huge step backwards.

Daaaaamn, that's cold.

Ravage

I play Tales solely for the combat but the story in Xillia 2 really surprised me. In fact it's the first Tales game with a story i've ever cared about (Abyss and Vesperia did nothing for me). The combat system is also significantly improved from Xillia 1 though i really miss the ability to swap characters in the midst of battle.

Most people in Japan were disappointed by Zestiria, also because of the "false" advertising of the character which was promoted so much, but I will play it myself too.

I think cultural differences may be at play here. I would take the Japanese reception with a truck of salt.

One of the legitimate complaints I've heard is that the overworld is large and well-connected, but there's not a lot to do in it.

Wingus

It is, in several ways, a big improvement over Xillia 1. It's still not a patch on Graces f in terms of combat.

I think cultural differences may be at play here. I would take the Japanese reception with a truck of salt.

One of the legitimate complaints I've heard is that the overworld is large and well-connected, but there's not a lot to do in it.

Yeah I thought so too, I'm playing it anyway for myself to make my own opinion on that anyway, sad to hear that the over world is mostly empty though.

Myriadis

I absolutely loved the first one, but I'll wait until I get the second one, as it seems to have a lot of reused assets. Reading that this game seems to be even better sounds great!

Only at chapter 8, but the tone is much darker than the first game. Need to finish it soon, since I'm been putting it off for way too long. Wished Jude and Milla Maxwell had more of the spotlight compared to silent Ludger.
I've been humming that song Julius does more often.

I loved this a lot more than the first Xillia (which I still enjoyed). The tone, storyline & characters were miles ahead of the first game. Shame that there was so much asset reuse, but I wasn't too bothered by it.

Endings were great too. Particularly the bad ending. I actually got that by accident and man... hit me right in the feels.

Ex dungeon was great fun too.

Kasumin

I started replaying it a couple of weeks ago and I love it way more than Xillia 1. Ludger and Julius are a great set of characters IMO.

The battles are excellent, the only weak parts are some of the character stories aren't that interesting.

Hope to finish it by the end of the weekend.

I will never understand the popularity of Ludger and Julius considering that both characters are pretty much pulled out of nowhere in the second game with nothing whatsoever (besides the Kresnik sage) hinting to their existence in the first game. And the second game retcons the hell out of the Kresnik sage backstory from the first game anyway.

Ludger is a Gary Stu. He's designed as a self-insert for the player and while in Xillia 1 they bothered to explain why everyone in the cast, yes even Elize, was as proficient in combat as they were, Ludger just magically figures out how to use a gun and hammer right away. The ultimate proof of Ludger's Gary Stu-ness is
the bad ending where he manages to kill the entire Xillia 1 cast including Milla (a god pretty much), Gaius (known for being insanely powerful), and Muzet (powerful in her own right). Separately could he have taken them on? Sure, maybe. But in a group?
That is the textbook definition of a Gary Stu.

As for Julius, I wanted to care about him. Loved his voice actor. Love his design. But he shows up so infrequently that I just could not bring myself to care about him. The game tells you to care about him because he's Ludger's brother, but it doesn't try and show that. He plays a similar role to Alvin in the first game, I guess? Except Alvin was actually written so that I wasn't told to think a certain way about him, I gleaned that by how he reacted in certain situations because he was actually around for more than 10% of the game.

I don't get why people love Xillia 2's story so much. Grim dark =/= well written. A high body count doesn't mean the story is particularly deep. Most of the melodrama in Xillia 2 is completely contrived.
Fractured Milla is a prime example of this as she exists only to be killed off. She's only there so that Milla Maxwell can't show up early on to fix things. Fractued Milla has literally no agency throughout the entire game and just gets killed off and then mostly forgotten by everyone but Elle.

That Xillia 2 insists on throwing in characters you've never heard of, insisting that you care about them before
cheaply killing them off
just made the writing feel objectively worse than the first Xillia. The first Xillia didn't have any characters that existed just to die.

And as for the quality of the battle systems, of course Xillia 2's battle system is better. It's pretty much the finished version of Xillia 1's battle system that they didn't finish because they rushed Xillia 1. Xillia 2 may feel like everything Xillia 1 should have been because it's just a finished Xillia 1 shoehorned into another game with the debt system added as a mechanic to pad out the game because they obviously didn't have enough story content to fill an actual 40-50 hours. Fractured dimensions are literally nothing more than an excuse to reuse assets.

Xillia 2 is a game whose plot is written by bad development decisions. Had Bamco actually finished Xillia 1 (though these days finishing games seems to be very difficult for them), Xillia 2 wouldn't even exist. It probably would have been its own game with better fleshed out characters and a story that didn't feel like it was awkwardly taped onto the first Xillia.

The character stories probably don't seem that interesting because as I said before, Xillia 2 is just awkwardly taped onto Xillia 1 story-wise. So the Xillia 1 cast is mostly sitting around twiddling their thumbs and they had to give them something to do.

People laugh at fanfiction where someone writes a self-insert character who is stronger, better, and more special than the main cast. When that's actually done in canon, people applaud that character.

jrush64

Banned
I will never understand the popularity of Ludger and Julius considering that both characters are pretty much pulled out of nowhere in the second game with nothing whatsoever (besides the Kresnik sage) hinting to their existence in the first game. And the second game retcons the hell out of the Kresnik sage backstory from the first game anyway.

At the end of the day, I think it's a personal choice. I had no problem with the way Ludger and Julius were introduced to the story even if they weren't hinted in the first game. For a Tales of game, the story was solid IMO.

I didn't have much of an opinion on Julius at the beginning of the game but later on, you interact with him more and I started liking him more from there along with Ludger and Elle.

Also not all the Character stories were bad. Judes, Milla's, Leia's were great. Judes really explores his relationship with Milla even more and I liked that.

All I knowz is that I enjoyed Julius and Ludger's story, just like I enjoyed Noel, Caius and Yeul's story in Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Top Bottom