• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Patison
Member
(07-13-2015, 04:14 PM)
Patison's Avatar

Originally Posted by Graffgor

I got mine in today. It's surprisingly cool.

Edit: Oddly enough the image is very clear despite me not being able to wear my glasses. Both of my eyes have astigmatism.

It's great to hear from someone with the same condition as me, I was worried it wouldn't work! Just ordered a relatively cheap model and I'm really excited, because I've never tried any kind of VR before.
Noisepurge
Member
(07-13-2015, 04:22 PM)
Noisepurge's Avatar
IamCardboard sells the best option of Cardboard in cheap EVA foam. Don't buy the uncomfortable cardboard ones. Works fine for the 3D virtual "effect" of watching a 3D trailer, Kaiju Attack 360 movie clip or the rollercoaster demo. None of these are good for watching a full movie.

http://www.imcardboard.com/eva.html comes with a headstrap.

clay_ghost
Member
(07-13-2015, 04:53 PM)
clay_ghost's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gen X

That's what I've been using, works a treat.

just tested it , works like a charm !

Its there a virtual boy emulator for Android or PSP that works with this or goggle cardboard?
Dr_Boris_Goltz
Banned
(07-15-2015, 05:52 PM)
Dr_Boris_Goltz's Avatar
Embarrassing post alert!

Porn on this thing is crazy weird. I wasn't convinced until the star whispered in my ear.

If cardboard porn is like this then I don't think I can handle real VR.
Flandy
Member
(07-15-2015, 05:52 PM)
Flandy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Graffgor

Embarrassing post alert!

Porn on this thing is crazy weird. I wasn't convinced until the star whispered in my ear.

If cardboard porn is like this then I don't think I can handle real VR.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(07-15-2015, 05:54 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar
Oh my
Baron Von Beans
Member
(07-16-2015, 05:54 PM)
Baron Von Beans's Avatar
I recently upgraded myself to an iPhone 6. I know all the Cardboard units are primarily for Androids, but I've read that the iPhone 6 is finally large enough for it to barely work. Has anyone had any luck with this? I know it's only 20 bucks or so, but no one likes wasting monies.

Makes you wonder if you could slide a Vita in one of these things...
HaRyu
Member
(07-16-2015, 06:03 PM)
HaRyu's Avatar
I've had one for a while.

For extended use, you might want to craft a headstrap for the thing that way you dont have to hold it all the time. (If it didnt come with one)

As for things to do with it, YouTube supports the 360 degree videos (aka, you can look around) https://www.youtube.com/360
Proteus
BOSS
(07-16-2015, 06:06 PM)
Proteus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Baron Von Beans

I recently upgraded myself to an iPhone 6. I know all the Cardboard units are primarily for Androids, but I've read that the iPhone 6 is finally large enough for it to barely work. Has anyone had any luck with this? I know it's only 20 bucks or so, but no one likes wasting monies.

Makes you wonder if you could slide a Vita in one of these things...

I am curious about this for iPhone 6 Plus.

You hear about it for Android all the time but I'm surprised that there isn't any box gimmick for iOS.
HaRyu
Member
(07-16-2015, 06:09 PM)
HaRyu's Avatar

Originally Posted by DoctorWho

I am curious about this for iPhone 6 Plus.

You hear about it for Android all the time but I'm surprised that there isn't any box gimmick for iOS.

Google Cardboard works for iOS. Although in your case, you want the the kits that are suitable for the bigger phones (yes, there's actually different sizes, make sure you read the descriptions before you get one).
Proteus
BOSS
(07-16-2015, 06:12 PM)
Proteus's Avatar

Originally Posted by HaRyu

Google Cardboard works for iOS. Although in your case, you want the the kits that are suitable for the bigger phones (yes, there's actually different sizes, make sure you read the descriptions before you get one).

Thanks. I will look into it.
Baron Von Beans
Member
(07-16-2015, 06:13 PM)
Baron Von Beans's Avatar

Originally Posted by DoctorWho

I am curious about this for iPhone 6 Plus.

You hear about it for Android all the time but I'm surprised that there isn't any box gimmick for iOS.

They do have iOS versions....but at a much steeper price than what el GOOG offers. I'd imagine you and your tablet will be fine :P I kid out of jealousy

Originally Posted by HaRyu

Google Cardboard works for iOS. Although in your case, you want the the kits that are suitable for the bigger phones (yes, there's actually different sizes, make sure you read the descriptions before you get one).

Super duper. I just need a few spare minutes of downtime so I can order me up one. I know the support isn't on the same level as Android yet, but I don't care right now. I'm too pumped for anything VR that I'll deal with a $20 novelty.
lunchtoast
Member
(07-16-2015, 06:42 PM)
lunchtoast's Avatar
Got one a few weeks ago. Had my gf watch the Insidious 3 app and scared the shit out of her. Haven't really found anything else yet.
mrpoopy
Member
(08-27-2015, 08:06 AM)
mrpoopy's Avatar
I finally got this today. Some apps work great but for some reason the cardboard app is showing a completely different point of view for each eye. Anyone else experiencing this?

For example this is the Tour Guide demo:


It's also happening on Battle 360 VR:


I tried googling but most issues are caused by the distance between the lenses which obviously does not apply to me.
cool_dude
Banned
(08-27-2015, 08:10 AM)
Cool for 30 minutes for me, then forgot about it.
Water
Member
(08-27-2015, 06:41 PM)
Water's Avatar
Tried a cheap no-name cardboard today. It didn't come with the settings tag. Okay for viewing, but the magnet button activation didn't register on either of the (decently high end) phones we tried.

I don't understand why the Cardboard app doesn't have settings for alternative inputs. It shouldn't be too hard to eg. use the accelerometer to register a sharp finger tap or double tap on the cardboard as a replacement for the magnetic switch.
Seth
Member
(08-27-2015, 06:48 PM)
Seth's Avatar
There was a demo i tried out somewhere. Honestly, the image was blurry and it looked like i just had a screen too close to my face. nothing about it felt VR, infact, it felt worse than just looking at a phone normally.

Im hoping that the demo was just really bad. I assume morpheus will be a lot better, but had I judged VR on what I saw here I would think its a joke.
kinggroin
Banned
(09-03-2015, 01:39 AM)
kinggroin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seth

There was a demo i tried out somewhere. Honestly, the image was blurry and it looked like i just had a screen too close to my face. nothing about it felt VR, infact, it felt worse than just looking at a phone normally.

Im hoping that the demo was just really bad. I assume morpheus will be a lot better, but had I judged VR on what I saw here I would think its a joke.

That's obviously not how good VR is. Even good cardboard VR is far better than what you described (a bad app or something).


Anyway, for the thread bump, anyone know of a community producing stuff for this outside of the playstore?

Thread Tools