• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within: Game of the Year Edition, leaked by Amazon France | September 18th

KyleCross

They got some balls calling this GOTY Edition, that's almost to the point of false advertising. They shoulda called it "Complete Edition" or something.

EDIT: Not salt or a shit poster, btw. Bought day one and beat it. The game is crap because of their decision to purposely make the story nonsensical in order to push DLC sales as well as some shit poor game design. The performance honestly didn't bother me because I'm not super sensitive to it, but this game has enough problems without dragging the performance into it.

I understand if you love a game, but don't make shit up and act like anyone who hates it is a shit-poster. This game is super flawed, largely in part cause of greed (as I mentioned earlier in the post).

If the rumors of this not being the game Mikami wanted to make and was "forced" to by Bethesda are true, then bless him. But he still should have made a good game.

Kazuhira

Fyi this edition is called "100% uncut", not goty.
Pretty dumb to overreact like that when you should know that those are placeholder names.

k3u7GWl.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Fyi this edition is called "100% uncut", not goty.
Pretty dumb to overreact like that when you should know that those are placeholder names.

k3u7GWl.jpg

So the original version was "cut" in some way? That's kind of a stupid thing to imply. Calling it "complete edition" also implies the previous version was incomplete. So it seems to me "definitive edition" is kind of the only non-GOTY label that doesn't implicitly shit on the original release.

I guess they're leaning into the cinematic aspect of the game.

So the original version was "cut" in some way? That's kind of a stupid thing to imply. Calling it "complete edition" also implies the previous version was incomplete. So it seems to me "definitive edition" is kind of the only non-GOTY label that doesn't implicitly shit on the original release.

I guess they're leaning into the cinematic aspect of the game.

Movie studios have been using this for years. You get "Unrated Edition" or "Uncut Edition" releases, which just means they add some footage that was left on the cutting room floor (probably for good reason), and this footage was never originally "rated" (hence the Unrated label). You are thinking way too hard about this. It's just a marketing angle to target the segment of the audience that skipped the game the first time around and falls for buzzwords like "Uncut".

Hopeford

I think the title is fine either way, but I do actually think the pre-order bonuses were cut from the game. The special items are completely impossible to obtain otherwise impossible to obtain(you don't even get them with the season pass) and are pretty fun to use, especially the poison bolt.

I loved this game. I'll buy it again just to have all the DLC on the disk.

Impossible. Game itself is nearly 40gb with patches, whilst the three lots of DLC all hover around the 7gb mark each. You'll never get a complete edition with everything on disc. Maybe with codes in the box but I think that ship has sailed by now.

Carnby

Impossible. Game itself is nearly 40gb with patches, whilst the three lots of DLC all hover around the 7gb mark each. You'll never get a complete edition with everything on disc. Maybe with codes in the box but I think that ship has sailed by now.

Thanks for explaining. I have no reason to buy it now.

HYDE

Banned

Since games can't ship on two discs right.

Cool well since it's on sale on the EU psn I'll just snap it up now and decide on the DLC later. Heard good things so I am rather excited, although I know almost nothing about the game other than it's a Mikami joint.

J 0 E

TEW is my 2014 GOTY

despite the technical issues the game have a memorable atmosphere + art direction + intense moments

replayed it after the letterbox removal update, I hope they improve it more on this edition if it's true < the frame-rate needs work

Angel_DvA

GOTY edition ? lol.

It was pretty bad for me, I love the settings and the DA but the gameplay, story and pacing were pretty bad, I hope this edition will have full screen option too.

liquidtmd

Banned
TEW is my 2014 GOTY

despite the technical issues the game have a memorable atmosphere + art direction + intense moments

replayed it after the letterbox removal update, I hope they improve it more on this edition if it's true < the frame-rate needs work

I really wanted an option so the camera was further back from the main character too

th4tguy

Was the performance issues ever ironed out?
I understand people still complain about it but did it ever improve from what it was at release?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I hate how every Evil Within thread becomes a dispute over it's quality. It's been well established, on and off GAF, that Evil Within is a huge Love It/Hate It game. Some adore it, some loathe it.

It's just that every TEW thread turns into this, some people arguing how bad it is, and some people loving it, in almost a 50/50 split. It's all in taste, just people need to accept Evil Within is neither a downright terrible or a downright amazing game that is loved/hated by all, it's a game that sits in such a place that people seem to have strong emotions towards it, whether positive or negative.

I think being able to inflict such a rabid and split response is a lot more interesting and speaks a lot more for how unorthodox the game is than if it was just alright to everyone. It's truly one of the biggest love it/hate it games I've seen in years, and that split comes precisely due to how it handles itself, which is hardly by the mill and has design decisions that some will love, some will hate.

Was the performance issues ever ironed out?
I understand people still complain about it but did it ever improve from what it was at release?

Performance was improved on PS4/Xbox One/PC I know, and on PS4/Xbox One they did some big performance boosts in the update where they gave people the option to remove the black bars. Can read a lot of response to the patch in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=169475705

Along with giving people the option to remove black bars, the patch also had severe performance boosts on consoles is the baseline, though.

Damn it, i just bought it yesterday.

Your in luck, this thread is almost a year old and still no word on it. So it may not be happening (a shame, since I think the DLC is worth experiencing if you liked the game and know what the DLC has in store).

geordiemp

Unless it comes with a NEO mode I wont bother, sub 30 is not acceptable.

If its been patched and is solid now, please someone shout up !

Taruranto

I don't understand why the GotY nomenclature is such a problem for people, game was really shitty, but so are many games that win these awards, they are basically given to any AAA release with enough marketing.

AerialAir

Banned
Nobody has done that for years. Last time I saw it was Fallout 3. Everything is a download code now.

And a shame that is, I fancy having all my games in a shelf, now I only have a third of my games in the shelf, since the other two thirds go to patches and DLC.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent 8.5/10 and my third best game of 2014. Would have hit my 9/10 mark but the horrible field of view, wide screen aspect ration, repeating bosses and decline at the last few chapters compared to the beginning and middle chapters led me to lower my own personal score.

Would love a sequel though and it's one of my predictions for Bethesda's press conference.

You realise how silly all these GOTY editions are when you imagine films doing the same thing. Imagine getting released movies like Transformers: 2008 MTV Movie Awards Best Movie Edition.

sphinx

the piano man
quite frankly, the game "as is" can be found on sale in many places and the game in the disc has the meat and potatoes people should seek.

the DLC has some story development but its not essential.

GOTY with DLC = sort of pointless.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
quite frankly, the game "as is" can be found on sale in many places and the game in the disc has the meat and potatoes people should seek.

the DLC has some story development but its not essential.

GOTY with DLC = sort of pointless.

While Evil Within is a surprisingly meaty game, a campaign that lasts 13-18 hours easily with actually a lot of variety in it and a number of unlockables attached as well, I can understand why some would appreciate a complete pack. The two part Juli Kidman campaign is stealth based, but it also has the variety of the main game and includes new enemies, areas, boss encounters, and story that runs well with the game, and is a good 4-6 hours alone, and then the Boxman DLC is a pretty fun arcade boss-rush thing which lasts a good 60-90 minutes and was surprisingly fun.

It's a case where the DLC doesn't feel like it was cut from the game or anything and the main game is pretty meaty itself, but the DLC I think has appeal for people and some would definitely like to experience it and have it on a disk.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
It was my 2014 GOTY though, barely edging out Alien Isolation

I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete edition once Tango announces the sequel.

The Kidman stuff is pretty good, and a pretty gutsy departure from TEW's core gameplay.

Top Bottom