• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo America takes over Cake Wars on Food Network - July 20 @ 8/7c

Also, someone needs to do a "barrel roll" cake, or tables will be flipped.

If I had to guess, we will only see the most mainstream, homogenized, uninteresting Nintendo properties in the competition.

It will be a Mario, Zelda, and DK competition because nobody making the cakes will know anything about Nintendo, nor will most of the viewers, so it won't contain any content that can't be gleaned from the most shallow end of the pop-culture wading pool.

Also, I am extremely negative and will die alone.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've played that game many times and I have never failed that part. I always assumed it was super generous.

Haha, interesting! I think I vaguely read about the Paper Mario baking thing before. I just recently played the game for the first time on Wii U VC. When I got to the part with the "keep it in the oven for 30s" I remembered reading that this part was tricky, and looked over to my boyfriend, panicking. He was like "I got this", and gave me the indication when 30s where over. Cake was perfect on the first try!
Maybe it was just because as a kid in the early 2000s, there really wasn't any way of obtaining a timer. Now, you can just use Google or your smart phone or whatever. I had to rely on "one mississippi.....two mississippi...." because I didn't have a stop watch or a kitchen timer and running to the microwave to do it wouldn't work.

It was worse in TTYD because in the original, another cake was already prepared for you to stick in the oven (as I recall) if you failed the 30 seconds parts. TTYD, you'd have to wait for the damn effects of the potion to run out, then REMAKE THE ENTIRE THING AGAIN.

Maybe it was just because as a kid in the early 2000s, there really wasn't any way of obtaining a timer. Now, you can just use Google or your smart phone or whatever. I had to rely on "one mississippi.....two mississippi...." because I didn't have a stop watch or a kitchen timer and running to the microwave to do it wouldn't work.

It was worse in TTYD because in the original, another cake was already prepared for you to stick in the oven (as I recall) if you failed the 30 seconds parts. TTYD, you'd have to wait for the damn effects of the potion to run out, then REMAKE THE ENTIRE THING AGAIN.

This is actually a very good reason why analog clocks are very good things to have. Very few digital clocks display seconds...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is actually a very good reason why analog clocks are very good things to have. Very few digital clocks display seconds...
Oh yeah, this too. Only had digital in my room/in view. & I didn't have any wrist watches, let alone any that displayed seconds.

I guess I just didn't have any ways to "cheat" as a kid, which made it difficult.

But yeah, I'm guessing it'll just be Mario & MAYBE Zelda themed. Or the cake will look like Mario or a "?" Block or a Goomba or whatever will be most recognizable by the general audience.

........& nobody will make a bowl of Falcon Punch....

Spinluck

9AbLQle.png

We all know what she really meant by "cake."

@MUWANdo

Banned
If I had to guess, we will only see the most mainstream, homogenized, uninteresting Nintendo properties in the competition.

It will be a Mario, Zelda, and DK competition because nobody making the cakes will know anything about Nintendo, nor will most of the viewers, so it won't contain any content that can't be gleaned from the most shallow end of the pop-culture wading pool.

Also, I am extremely negative and will die alone.

They'll absolutely hoist the likes of Animal Crossing and Splatoon onto this thing, they've never had any problem doing so before. Remember when they were taking Dragon Quest to book clubs and staging DQ slumber parties for elementary school girls?

They'll absolutely hoist the likes of Animal Crossing and Splatoon onto this thing, they've never had any problem doing so before. Remember when they were taking Dragon Quest to book clubs and staging DQ slumber parties for elementary school girls?

It was literally nothing but Super Mario. And it was as awful as anyone could have expected.

Not just the execution of the theme, but the cakes themselves were really horrible. Which was a surprise, considering that, if nothing else, the the baking is usually good.

It was so, so, bad.

Top Bottom