• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyforge |OT| Thou shall not workship false prophets

DrAg0nBoY

Yes, we can bombard with as many invites as possible. If you are on around 10pm EST feel free to send me a message on Gaf and we can work it out so we both log on at the same time and make sure it gets processed correctly.

I am from Europe, so that will be a bit hard :/.

JambiBum

Decided to buy the collector's edition since I had some spare money sitting in my paypal account. First mmo I've really had fun playing pretty much ever. Most of the time I don't like the gameplay or the way most mmos look but I really like everything about this game so far. The cap stuff doesn't really bother me at all and each class is pretty unique and fun to play in their own way.

I unlocked Necro and now that I understand how it is supposed to play I'm having a lot of fun. I can basically play it as a tank/dps and not worrying about dying as long as I manage my Lich form correctly. Unfortunately I hit the spark cap before I could unlock the class sparks for it and didn't have enough evo sparks to get there. Good thing the cap resets soon.

Thanks for the invite, got in last night! I'm enjoying Alchemist so far. Has anyone tried the Massive Transformation skill? Is it just a buff or does it actually change the skillset of allies?

After reading the patch notice, I realized that the game is not even at version 1.00 yet.
It really is still in the beta version currently, version 0.64.

Well I mean, they are calling it open beta.

Yeah, but it's still far away from the "full version". The RU version is still at 0.66 after 6 months of open beta.
I've played lots of open beta in the past, but they usually already in version 1.00 since the start of open beta, or just didn't take that long to reach "full version". I'm not saying it as a bad thing though. It's good because we can still expect LOTS of major updates in the future until the "full version" and probably the game will reach consoles by then.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've only had about 4 hours in this game, so I could be very off base in my comments here, but here goes...

I am enjoying the game as a whole package. Everything feels pretty good. However, there are some glaring issues. Bugs and latency issues aside (because it's still a beta):

1. Combat does not "feel" good. It has a PSU sort of thing going on. None of the hits ever have much weight or *oomph* that something like other games of this genre have. TERA is probably the king of this still. The combat is fun, though.

2. Lack of overall direction is fine and sort of the norm with games like this...But holy hell if this game doesn't just poop you into a world and smack your ass as the door closes behind you. I am not sure if I should be doing the public areas, the instanced dungeons/stages, etc. I'm following my quests, sure...But I know I need to be grinding for cubes and gear and shit to upgrade. It's just a bit too wishy washy for me right now.

3. Why the fuck does a game like this need a million currencies? I get trying to shake the formula a bit, but how about just make everything on the grid be unlocked with one type of cube? It's not fun having 10 blue cubes but 250+ red and green. Also, there's like 2 or 3 other cubes that I can get later for other random shit? Just feels so odd and overly complex. They could have simplified this system a lot.

4. I haven't checked into this enough yet, so this may be moot. I don't get why MMOS have to show me all the flashy particles for everyone else. I don't particularly love having all the ice shards and snowflakes filling up my screen whole trying to melee a boss. I hope they allow for controls on particles. A lot of games DO have various levels of this. I have a rig that can handle particles, so I like them...But they get tough to sift through in important or tough encounters.

5. OK. Bosses. Ugh. The fights are fun. But the life bars are not. I know it could just be because I'm still early on, but repeating the same mechanic over and over and over gets annoying. What's worse is when a boss has 10x life and does a dumb invul mechanic every bar for the first 8 bars. I think chopping some health off the bosses would make the encounters even more enjoyable.

6. The way you level up is a unique take and I enjoy it. It's not my favorite thing, but I don't really have any negative thoughts on it. It's just so unique that you just sort of need to figure it out and accept it as the way this game works.

7. My common complaint with games that rely on loot...Outside of bosses from instances, it's not really clear how to obtain better gear. At least not yet. And I'm never sure if it's worth running old content for drops or if the hardest stuff will always yield the best goodies. It seems trivial to question, but it's not clear what benefit boss farming is yet at various difficulties.

Now onto my positive thoughts!

1. Stated before, the combat is fun. It definitely gives me the PSO fix I need. While it's not perfect, I am happy with it. I wouldn't mind some tweaks as the devs update the game.

2. The encounters are long, but very well designed early on. The big tank thing boss with the dark and light hands? Pretty genius the way they slowly incorporate the hands for you to discover throughout the whole instance. The explosions and AoE effects that give you just enough time to learn and dodge effectively? Good encounter design. Thus far, I've enjoyed the fights despite the length.

3. I really have great things to say about them being different with the leveling system. I don't love a million currencies, but I like the take on it. I know they can't make sweeping changes to it at this point, but again - a few tweaks wouldn't be the worst thing.

4. The open fields are fun. I love the way you all work together without having to group up. I love that everyone shares loot and kills. It's so refreshing to play games that don't punish you for helping kill something other people are attacking. The field quests are a bit confusing with the whole limits that appear to be in place (I finished all the field quests on the first field you visit and then I had nothing else to do there). I'm hoping this resets every week because I like the concept.

5. Premium feels worth it for teleporting and bonus goodies. I will consider it after the free 3 day expires.

6. The game looks good. It reminds me a bit of a more modern day (timeline wise) Warframe with the looks and environments. I've fought in a forest, a factory, a dark grotto like area, stone ruins...PSO much? But really, I dig it.

So there you go. I'm not deep enough in to have a strong understanding of the core concepts, so some of my negative thoughts may be just premature opinions. Outside of the combat and too many currency complaints, I gotta say...Skyforge is pretty damn good and a real surprise to me thus far.

I've only had about 4 hours in this game, so I could be very off base in my comments here, but here goes...
Pretty much. I am 30 hours or so in and feel like I haven't even seen 25% of the game. Alternatively I feel like I am around level 15 in wow or something in terms of content.

As for your thoughts I completely agree on the currencies. Fine have a whole lot of nonsense and get her able for aesthetic stuff but the Atlas should really just be class sparks and general sparks. It becomes a mate game of figuring out how many you need and then waiting for or doing the appropriate missions.

Boss mechanics ramp up. The slow pace that this game brings you in on is enjoyable but seems to be quite a turn off for some. Especially seeing as you need to up prestige for more content.

I agree that the impact of combat could be more. But it isn't enough to make me not enjoy the combat model

EDIT: on the hp bar thing. It is their fight mechanic because there are no healers and you only get an orb usually per hp bar reduction. Matters more later on but you kinda just gotta accept it as their all classes are relevant/equal style I think

Vex_

Banned
I've only had about 4 hours in this game,

I definitely agree with what you said about health bars being stupid long. It wouldn't even be so bad if the guy you were fighting with 14x health bars was the REAL boss. No. This dude is the MINI boss. It just feels like padding at that point.

Also, on to your other concerns: the game slowly reveals itself to you as you gain prestige. Don't over think it. Follow your main questline and you will gain prestige smoothly and unlock more game mechanics and even a larger atlas. It gets less confusing, trust me, but not before it gets MORE confusing first.

Heck, it took everyone in our guild a minute to figure out how to assign a mount to our hotkey "J". They need better tutorials for sure.

Cracklox

I've only had about 4 hours in this game...
Hmmm. Might address a few of your concerns soon. Need to duck out but you raise some good points. Mostly what Vex said tho

Also, on to your other concerns: the game slowly reveals itself to you as you gain prestige. Don't over think it. Follow your main questline and you will gain prestige smoothly and unlock more game mechanics and even a larger atlas. It gets less confusing, trust me, but not before it gets MORE confusing first.

Heck, it took everyone in our guild a minute to figure out how to assign a mount to our hotkey "J". They need better tutorials for sure.

And lol. I was there for that. Quite the revelation

edit. - nah i think your pretty well covered with the above advice. One thing I will add though, is we are all very early in the grand scheme of things. We have people at 1k, and we have people at 10k. Its not all that far apart when you consider there are people in the RU with 120k. The 1st 'real' goalpost for everyone is 30 and then we see what happens from there.

That said, i think there's people who are at around 20, so I'm tipping we will see our 1st Gods soon. Maybe as early as within next weeks cap

Yeah, on loot/equipment progression. I know we have that great spreadsheet with proficiency drops per instance but this really needs to be indicated in the game somehow. Until I saw that sheet I noticed I was running instances way too low for my proficiency and it was why I was never getting gear upgrades.

Maybe listing the average proficiency for each area/difficulty would be a nice addition.

Another thing that would be nice is a way of knowing what prestiege range a quest is in a region. Most regions seem to start off at a low/baseline prestiege then quickly ramp up toward the end. You have no way of knowing how much "harder" a quest is from the previous until you try it and die in seconds.

Also this game has some atrocious issues with collision/terrain that shouldn't have left the CBT stage. I get stuck on every little rock, mounts get stuck on everything else.

Lastly, PVP queues. We need prestiege syncing asap, there's no reason 10v10s should take hours to fill up. I actually got to play the tank/minecart(tf2) PVP one and it was crazy fun. A shame it took an hour to get going.

JambiBum

@SpiritReaver, as far as the prestige/dungeon levels go, if you pull up the drop down menu for the stars before you jump into an instance it tells you what the next difficulty/prestige level is. So say you're on 3 stars and its hard, if you look at 4 it'll tell you what prestige level that difficulty unlocks. The game always defaults instances to the hardest difficulty you have unlocked for your prestige.

As far as the currencies go, they could go with a few less, but the important ones aren't confusing at all at least to me. Most mmo's have convoluted currencies nowadays anyway. Look at Destiny for example. The easiest way to know what currency you need without looking at an atlas multiple times is to just set a path in the atlas through the nodes you want to unlock. For those that don't know how, you right click a node and then just hit find path. Then when you are playing a colored icon for the next node you need will show up near your HP bar and will fill once you reach the amount you need.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What spreadsheet are you talking about? Even having a good reference would be nice. I'm about to break 1k and need to start focusing on my approach a bit.

And thanks for the info guys. Glad I'm not off-base about my concerns with all this damn currency management. As weird as it sounds, if it wasn't as convoluted, I don't think I'd mind it. Destiny has 2 main currencies and a shit ton of reputations to grind. However, the grind on all of those currencies and reputations is VERY simple. It's annoying, but at least it's clear. Skyforge has so many things to grind for but no real good way to know how to do it.

Also, the boss fight HP bars in relation to the HP orbs and lack of healers...That makes a bit more sense. I never really considered the lack of healers having an impact on how the bosses played out. Whatever the case, I DO love the way the bosses and fights play out. The way they feel just a hair too long is annoying, but I'll adapt.

I enjoy the game too much right now to drop it for my concerns. I felt the need to get those things off my chest if for no other reason than for someone to say, "Hey, you're right...But it gets better." I am almost always the first to jump on board that train. I'm fine putting hours into a game early on to get to the meat. We'll see - I'll keep on pushing forward and hope for a revelation!

For what it's worth, I judge games with complex systems on how well I can explain said systems to a new player. Right now, I couldn't do that with much in this game. I know I'm too early to be a fair judge of it, but I'm hoping that by the time I reach ~10k, I'll have a grasp on how this game really works.

@SpiritReaver, as far as the prestige/dungeon levels go, if you pull up the drop down menu for the stars before you jump into an instance it tells you what the next difficulty/prestige level is. So say you're on 3 stars and its hard, if you look at 4 it'll tell you what prestige level that difficulty unlocks. The game always defaults instances to the hardest difficulty you have unlocked for your prestige.

As far as the currencies go, they could go with a few less, but the important ones aren't confusing at all at least to me. Most mmo's have convoluted currencies nowadays anyway. Look at Destiny for example. The easiest way to know what currency you need without looking at an atlas multiple times is to just set a path in the atlas through the nodes you want to unlock. For those that don't know how, you right click a node and then just hit find path. Then when you are playing a colored icon for the next node you need will show up near your HP bar and will fill once you reach the amount you need.

E: I mentioned Destiny myself for the exact opposite reason you brought up - I feel like it's VERY clear how to earn the various currencies that game offers. 2 major marks, glimmer, and rep. At least rep is as simple as "Equip this item to gain rep for this faction in everything you do!"

PulseONE

I should really do some actual work and not stalk this thread.

Slayer is amazing and I have only scratched the surface. It has some pretty high damage, good survivability and has a lot of utility to help in dungeons. One dungeon it was only myself and a cyromancer left and he had aggro so we continued to do DPS and I used my chains to keep pulling the mob away from the cyromancer basically zoning the enemy until we were able to down it.

Slayers has a shadow form where they go invincible and have a single target knock down attack and an AoE move. I got a talent for it so if I get a fatal blow I go in shadow form instead of dying which has become really helpful.

PvP is fun too, laid down a path of mines and used the chain pull to drag them into every single mine and then finished them off with a backstab.

Oh? Sounds badass actually, I shall continue along the path then, thanks :D

Cracklox

What spreadsheet are you talking about? Even having a good reference would be nice. I'm about to break 1k and need to start focusing on my approach a bit.

This one. edit - take two https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NZiPFT6t8FIZRIHuUt8rcmIJhGV44X-nt8HzvC5F3t0/htmlview#

Don't be to concerned at the point you're at. Just play. That doc will start to become handy around 2-3k prestige and onwards

From a currency perspective I understand your confusion some. THE most important things to focus on are the colored sparks(to gain power across all classes in the upper atlas, which you will soon unlock) and and class sparks to gain some power, abilities and talents specific to the class you play. Everything else, for where you are up to isnt too important. You'll learn how many of those things work as you play. Some are important, most are just fluff.

Free premium codes are currently up at http://skyforge.browsergames.de/giv...remium-zeit-und-mehr-kostenlos-einsacken.html

I nabbed an extra one as it took a while for it to get to my first email address, I'll post it in this thread later so those who missed this promo have a chance of getting it.

Hey hey. Thanks. Grabbed one

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This one. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...F3t0/htmlview#

Don't be to concerned at the point you're at. Just play. That doc will start to become handy around 2-3k prestige and onwards

From a currency perspective I understand your confusion some. THE most important things to focus on are the colored sparks(to gain power across all classes in the upper atlas, which you will soon unlock) and and class sparks to gain some power, abilities and talents specific to the class you play. Everything else, for where you are up to isnt too important. You'll learn how many of those things work as you play. Some are important, most are just fluff.

Hey hey. Thanks. Grabbed one

Sheet isn't working. Can you relink it maybe?

Also, how do I get a premium code? SO MUCH GERMAN.

Cracklox

edited link above. should be good now ^^^ Can you translate page in chrome? Otherwise theres a whitebox in the middle somewhere which you enter your email address. You'll get a code that you can then redeem against your profile on the skyforge homepage. Shortly thereafter you should receive a bag delivered to your inventory. Worked nicely for me

JambiBum

E: I mentioned Destiny myself for the exact opposite reason you brought up - I feel like it's VERY clear how to earn the various currencies that game offers. 2 major marks, glimmer, and rep. At least rep is as simple as "Equip this item to gain rep for this faction in everything you do!"
The main currencies here are pretty straight forward as to how you earn them. At least to me. I mean you have giant markers on the world map telling you what currency you will earn for that particular mission. Currencies also rotate every 40 minutes so if the one you need isn't up at that moment you can come back later and it will be. I don't understand how much more clear you need it to be when they are giant icons on the map. I will concede that the currencies that aren't the "main" ones aren't as clear as they could be though. The black pearls for example, had no idea how to earn those until I was in a region and just collected it. I mentioned Destiny just because of how many currencies they keep adding, not so much because of the way you earn them.

Also, for anyone that gets the quests where you have to kill 200 enemies as a specific class for a new talent slot. Do it in the training room. As long as you have access to the class you can just switch to it and kill the infinitely respawning enemy groups without going into the training menus. If you don't have that class unlocked, then you have to go through the training which can be monotonous.

Skulldead

I just reach Thai dungeon.... this is a insane difficulty spike here. The trash mob kick my ass. I need green token to upgrade my stamina, but they are so hard to get !!! Grind time i think.... Dungeon run or Open world are the best for this ? I think i need better gear too...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The main currencies here are pretty straight forward as to how you earn them. At least to me. I mean you have giant markers on the world map telling you what currency you will earn for that particular mission. Currencies also rotate every 40 minutes so if the one you need isn't up at that moment you can come back later and it will be. I don't understand how much more clear you need it to be when they are giant icons on the map. I will concede that the currencies that aren't the "main" ones aren't as clear as they could be though. The black pearls for example, had no idea how to earn those until I was in a region and just collected it. I mentioned Destiny just because of how many currencies they keep adding, not so much because of the way you earn them.

Also, for anyone that gets the quests where you have to kill 200 enemies as a specific class for a new talent slot. Do it in the training room. As long as you have access to the class you can just switch to it and kill the infinitely respawning enemy groups without going into the training menus. If you don't have that class unlocked, then you have to go through the training which can be monotonous.

So this confuses me. I have no idea what you're talking about. Where do they rotate out of and to? And really, what's the point of having a rotating currency other than arbitrary limits/walls you have to overcome or wait for? Once I learn it, I'll get used to it, but as a new player, it just seems pointless and convoluted.

When do I unlock my next class option? Playing Pally and enjoying it, but wouldn't mind seeing what else is out there.

So this confuses me. I have no idea what you're talking about. Where do they rotate out of and to? And really, what's the point of having a rotating currency other than arbitrary limits/walls you have to overcome or wait for? Once I learn it, I'll get used to it, but as a new player, it just seems pointless and convoluted.

When do I unlock my next class option? Playing Pally and enjoying it, but wouldn't mind seeing what else is out there.

As for the rotation in/out, it's simply a mechanism for telling you what content you should be playing. So if your ascension atlas calls for orange sparks, you go run a mission that gives those. Every 40 minutes, what missions give what color sparks changes, because you are content locked via prestige, so having that be static would be bad.

On the class thing, you need to progress your current class ascension atlas to the node called "Path of the whatever" and once you do, you'll unlock the upper level of the ascension atlas, which is where you start progressing towards other classes.

Cracklox

On the class thing, you need to progress your current class ascension atlas to the node called "Path of the whatever" and once you do, you'll unlock the upper level of the ascension atlas, which is where you start progressing towards other classes.

Just on this, and its been mentioned a few times already in the thread, but once you have decided what class to go for, right click it, and select show path, then follow it. I thought I was smart and could take a shortcut to monk early, and well, lets just say I still don't have monk and I was set back a day or 2 on unlocking another class

JambiBum

Pirate explained this some, but I'll touch on what he said. There's a timer at the bottom of the map screen that tells you when the mission rewards are going to rotate to different maps. As long as you start a mission before the timer ends you will get the reward listed even if the timer is set to end while playing it. They rotate the rewards because not everyone needs the same currency that you might at a certain point. It also allows people to not get locked into one area just because that one has the currency they want. If certain maps only provided one type of currency then it would cause stagnation. This way every map can have any currency at any time.

Since we have been comparing it to Destiny, think of it this way. In Destiny you can only get Crucible marks by playing Crucible, here you can get whatever you need on any of the maps as long as its currently on that rotation.

I should specify that there are open region specific currencies, like the purple plants and the pearls. Other than those though everything else rotates on the timer.

As far as your class question goes, you can play any of the three starting classes at any time by switching between them in the menu. You can switch on the fly in the middle of a dungeon if you want to. The later classes you unlock by expanding your ascension atlas. For reference, I unlocked Necro at around 3.3k prestige.

Vlodril

its quite hard to find a pantheon in this game which is kinda weird for an mmo. is it because of the limits until you upgrade your pantheon or is it a low numbers in the game thing?

JambiBum

its quite hard to find a pantheon in this game which is kinda weird for an mmo. is it because of the limits until you upgrade your pantheon or is it a low numbers in the game thing?

You can always ask for an invite to the gaf pantheon, but it's because of the limits to pantheons at first. You can usually see people spamming their pantheon in region chat. Although I don't think the pantheon search function works correctly yet, which isn't that big of a deal right now but will hopefully be fixed soon.

Kane1345

Check your PMs. I didn't realize that the keys were all from the same pool, so I have an extra.

200_s.gif

Vex_

Banned
wow, guys. The chat is really messed up for guildies this time. Now I cant even see who is typing, nor can I type anything.

I have heard they are rolling out backend fixes to prepare for the next big patch. Maybe that is why?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
wow, guys. The chat is really messed up for guildies this time. Now I cant even see who is typing, nor can I type anything.

I have heard they are rolling out backend fixes to prepare for the next big patch. Maybe that is why?

Speaking of chat...

Anyone using the GAF TeamSpeak/Vent/whatever it is we use?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Speaking of chat...

Anyone using the GAF TeamSpeak/Vent/whatever it is we use?

We are using Discord for the FFXI guild. I like the way it works well as both a chat and voice chat.

Vlodril

You can always ask for an invite to the gaf pantheon, but it's because of the limits to pantheons at first. You can usually see people spamming their pantheon in region chat. Although I don't think the pantheon search function works correctly yet, which isn't that big of a deal right now but will hopefully be fixed soon.

i thought the gaf pantheon was a us thing. i am on the eu server.

Top Bottom