• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1: DNS isn't resolving Xbox server names

malfcn

So I moved, and right now have to use wireless until I can get some cables moved around.

Turned on the XB1, and first time nothing. Error.
So I restarted modem/router.

Turned on the XB1, and it downloads a 2GB patch for dashboard?
And then it says cannot connect to Live.

DNS isn't resolving Xbox server names.

So I can download a patch, but can't connect to XBL?
How can I fix this?

Update...and now it magically works.
Update...and now it doesn't work.

Ashler

Do you use your ISP DNS?

Try manually changing them to google's:

It helps me out in cases where my ISP DNS aren't working.

Starviper

And it is happening again. Will try changing the settings, but I think it might be the router/modem.

It's your modem // router using the DNS handed to it by the ISP. Manually configure those devices to use google's DNS. Works way better.

shandy706

Are you in the preview program?

If so, that's it.

I have the same problem, it's a glitch in the current preview build.

Edit* don't ignore other suggestions. It is a problem with the July build though.

malfcn

I had my own router and modem with TWC at an apartment.
Moved into our new house and they gave me a combo router/modem, still TWC.

So the only thing that has changed is it being wireless instead of hard, and a combo instead of separate.

I am in preview.

Starviper

So the only thing that has changed is it being wireless instead of hard, and a combo instead of separate.

I am in preview.

Yeah check the router's config and swap out the default DNS it hands out to DHCP devices with manual entries for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I guess the preview build might just be buggy as well, from the sound of it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Xbox actually has a team of interns that wait for this, and when they get to it in their work order queue, they magically flick the switch on their side manually.

;)

shandy706

I am in preview.

Try your usual settings and just do a hard reset. It may work for a day after that or drop immediately. Sucks. Hopefully the August build fixes it.

This is, of course, if you're one of the few that suffer from the bug.

Gestault

Are you in the preview program?

If so, that's it.

I have the same problem, it's a glitch in the current preview build.

Edit* don't ignore other suggestions. It is a problem with the July build though.

I ran into that same glitch in the dash preview, and they have info right in the preview app if people do run into it. But yeah, the other suggestion of plugging in the public Google DNS info is the way to go if a hard reboot doesn't take care of it.

These sort of errors are annoying. I ran into something similar (but on my end) when I upgraded my router recently and it didn't carry over my custom settings.

Edit:
Update...and now it magically works.

Dangit, I missed this, lol

malfcn

Motorola SURFboard SGB 6580

The combination modem/router is one of the devices supplied by Comcast's Internet service. Due to the custom firmware, the device does not permit any changes to the DNS server settings.

Wow.

I might have them provision my old modem..

Top Bottom