• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Gets New Game+ Mode as Final Free DLC

I'm with you, there's nothing to fall for but c'mon the gushing over the free DLC practice is ridiculous. Have you seen the description of one of their DLC quests?

Shit took a couple of minutes to do for me, and that's their biggest piece of DLC according to them.

It says "one of the biggest" and time to beat doesn't equate size, it had more content than any of the other DLC's so the description is accurate.

I hope discovered question marks on the map carry over into new game plus, there are just so many that it would suck to be forced to discover old ones again.

The1Ski

I am honestly blown away that people have a problem with this.

Marketing scheme? TV commercials aren't marketing schemes? Was there complaining about the game being bundled with video cards?

Who is getting duped? I'm getting more of what I like without paying for it. If that's getting duped I'll take it.

If the point is that it should have been released with the game you could make that argument indefinitely. Nope, don't release the game without new game plus. Nope, we're going to keep making alternative outfits forever. Don't release the game, we need more horse armor.

What the hell

cripterion

It says "one of the biggest" and time to beat doesn't equate size, it had more content than any of the other DLC's so the description is accurate.

I felt it had less content than most contracts in the main game, and I mean it's not really an issue, it's just like they made it seem like a big deal when it was quite forgetful to me.
I guess it is considered big cause it involves another Witcher.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Do y'all do this in real life too? Somebody gives you something for free and you look at it and go "That's it? That's all you're giving me? You should have given this to me earlier, tbh."

I know it sounds like a pain in the ass to collect ingredients everytime you use a potion but i just want it to be like in previous games.
You have all these plants scattered around the world and you only need to use them a few times,it makes no sense to me.

It'd be fine if Alcohol was harder to get. I was unaware that you needed Alcohol to refill on my Death March playthrough until the end,yet even though I liberally used meditate, there wasn't a single time that I ran out.

cripterion

Do y'all do this in real life too? Somebody gives you something for free and you look at it and go "That's it? That's all you're giving me? You should have given this to me earlier, tbh."

Do you gush all over someone who gives you bread crumbs for free after buying your bread from him?

More seriously, I'm far more impressed with the patches released on pc, especially with the new features in 1.07 (even though you could argue it could have been included from the get go) than the free DLC. There's no denying they are supporting the game. I just don't need to feel like praising them for releasing new game + for free.

Tookay

Probably one of the most ungrateful threads I've ever read.

This game is awesome. NG+ is awesome. Why are we complaining?

skyhaven

Neo Member
I felt it had less content than most contracts in the main game, and I mean it's not really an issue, it's just like they made it seem like a big deal when it was quite forgetful to me.
I guess it is considered big cause it involves another Witcher.

If you're offended by that kind of self-promoting message over a free release DLC, then I wonder how you deal with other marketing gimmicks that aren't even free in other games.
At this point, CDPR can release a Gwent expansion introducing a dozen new card packs for $2 and people wouldn't mind paying them, yet they still don't do it. That's what impressed me, this is what everyone should think of CDPR: 'This company isn't out to squeeze every nickel and dime out of small additions to the game'

Instead people like you go 'OMG CAN PEOPLE NOT OVERREACT OVER THIS' while the industry continue to get crapped on by locked content DLCs.

erawsd

Do you gush all over someone who gives you bread crumbs for free after buying your bread from him?

More seriously, I'm far more impressed with the patches released on pc, especially with the new features in 1.07 (even though you could argue it could have been included from the get go) than the free DLC. There's no denying they are supporting the game. I just don't need to feel like praising them for releasing new game + for free.

You dont have to praise them or gush over it... Nor is there any need to shit on it and tell other who do appreciate the gesture that they are being ridiculous.

cripterion

If you're offended by that kind of self-promoting message over a free release DLC, then I wonder how you deal with other marketing gimmicks that aren't even free in other games.

It sucks. Plain and simple.

But this whole thing comes back to one previous poster said earlier in this thread, it kinda speaks volumes of the industry when stunts like these are celebrated by some gamers. Which is essentially what I find odd about this whole ordeal.

You dont have to praise them or gush over it... Nor is there any need to shit on it and tell other who do appreciate the gesture that they are being ridiculous.

I guess you're right, to each his own.

WanderingWind

No, but I have enough wherewithal to not complain if somebody gives me something for free that maybe doesn't excite me much. It's free. It doesn't cost me anything. Pretty big gap between licking corporate boot and just not acting like a brat when a developer hands out free stuff.

Hypron

No, but I have enough wherewithal to not complain if somebody gives me something for free that maybe doesn't excite me much. It's free. It doesn't cost me anything. Pretty big gap between licking corporate boot and just not acting like a brat when a developer hands out free stuff.

This.

Plus some people really love to have a NG+ mode in their games. It's very rare (can't think of any example actually) to get such a mode in a WRPG. It's not hard to see why people would get excited when NG+ is announced for one of their favourite WRPGs. You'd get the same type of reaction if this was called a patch rather than a DLC.

SlickVic

It's great to have this option available, and I'm glad it'll be available to those who wanted it. Really doubt I'd personally take advantage of it though. One of the biggest strengths of the Witcher 3 is the sheer amount of quality content in the form of the main and side quests. Compared to other forms of media, the amount of content they managed to fit into the game could easily span multiple seasons of a TV show, or perhaps one very thick book. In that regard, it almost feels a bit daunting for me to ever consider going back to it, considering I still have a ways to go in my first playthrough. But should I change my mind at some point in the future, I appreciate that the option is there to carry over some form of my prior progress into a new game.

Momentary

Banned
Damn. What the hell happened to this thread? Wasn't expecting this negative vibe over such a fantastic, content filled game.

gai_shain

Every free DLC could have easily been in the game day one, all the extra missions barely took 10 minutes of your time. The game is good but it's funny how people are praising CDPR for doing this.

Thats not how it works though, some day they just gotta say we are done this is how the game is going to ship.

Hopefully you can select a different difficulty for NG+, and it will count towards the difficulty completion trophies/achievements. I did my first playthrough on normal and I've been waiting for the 1.07 trophy bugs to be fixed before replaying on Deathmarch, but if I can get the trophy for that via NG+ that would be awesome.

I'm not looking for an easier experience, it would just be nice not having to find all the Gwent cards and do all of the treasure hunts and PoIs again.

cripterion

Thats not how it works though, some day they just gotta say we are done this is how the game is going to ship.

Well yes you're right, funny they could clearly say that so long ago in regards to the free DLC but not say the same things when it came to the downgrades...

Anyways, I'll leave it at that kinda getting OT. I'll go for a new game + depending on how they handle the scaling of mobs.

cripterion

Actually, a lot of people will have time or even make time for that. Myself included.

Indeed, I doubt it will take as long though as I won't be doing every single point of interest. Also if you keep your gear there's no reason to do the treasure hunting unless they include more powerful gear in new game +.

Kamina777

Banned
These have all been mostly patches, none of them really strike me as "dlc", but it's cool that it's coming though and it should be free to be honest, glad it is.

I never finished the game those who are still playing amd having new additions to their experience are winning at the moment.

Mohonky

New game+ in a 100h story RPG? ... ain't nobody got time for that.

Actually....

I upgraded my GPU since I last played, I played at lower settings at 30fps, now I can go through again at Ultra at 60fps
I want to play the game again making chances to key story choices I made first time round.
It wont take 100hrs, I will be more inclined to barge my way through the game this time round.

These have all been mostly patches, none of them really strike me as "dlc", but it's cool that it's coming though and it should be free to be honest, glad it is.

I never finished the game those who are still playing amd having new additions to their experience are winning at the moment.

Were you expecting entire expansions for free? This is just to tide people over until the paid expansions release.

Giving out a fairly standard feature for free? Ok then. I'm not going to praise or judge them for it.

Standard is not the word I would use here. This game is huge in terms of size, interrelated elements and complexity. In order to provide a satisfying NG+, the amount of work fine-tuning all those elements they have to do in order to make sure the experience is balanced and enjoyable is simply going to be much bigger than other games with more linear structures.

Sure it is nothing new, but taking into consideration all the efforts it takes to prolong the value of the game for free, I say they deserve at least a slight bit of praise.

Kup

I love the game, played it to completion and unlocked all the Achievements on Xbox One totalling about 180 hours. I am done. Enjoyed it, but won't be going back in. This isn't the sort of game I make use of New Game + in. Great post-game support being seen here though.

Liamc723

Anybody complaining about the amount of content that shipped with Witcher 3 is absolutely embarrassing him/herself. The fact that you don't feel embarrassed is surprising exactly no one.

Where did I complain about the amount of content The Witcher 3 shipped with?

NG+ is by far the most significant piece of this 16 free DLC piece program, but really, can we really class some of what we got as DLC? Yeah, it's downloaded content, but the majority of it amounted to alternate costumes or armour/weapon sets. I would be insulted if I was asked to pay for stuff like that.

Seanspeed

Banned
This should be a patch, not DLC.

I also wonder how well they'll do it. NG+ is a bit pointless if you're just doing the same thing but with bigger numbers. The most worthwhile NG+ modes are ones where the game was built with it in mind.

Also, while CDPR's post-launch support has been good(despite some iffy performance-related issues), this whole 'OMG based CDPR, this is how you do DLC right' stuff is pretty funny. The few little things have been nice, but it's not been substantial at all and does give off the feeling that this was, if not cut content, then stuff that was probably pretty close to completion. Good to have it for free, but it hasn't exactly been such an amazing gesture. But great PR...

I would be insulted if I was asked to pay for stuff like that.
You weren't :)

I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that the Witcher 3 didn't ship with enough content. Yet they gave us a bunch of extra stuff for free on top of that, and a lot of it was actually really damn good! The constant stream of extra free stuff post-launch has been awesome and CDPR should be commended for it.

I also like the changes to the game itself post-launch such as the vastly revised inventory system. Really, the only downside is that each patch feels like it introduces just as many (if not more) bugs than it fixes. I picture a code base that's held together with chewing gum and duct tape, and changing anything is like playing Jenga... kind of scary.

This is why people love cdpr. People were asking for a new movement system, storage and they delivered and now new game plus. Apparently triss is getting extra stuff too and maybe yen

Every free DLC could have easily been in the game day one, all the extra missions barely took 10 minutes of your time.

This is the most fucking stupid post that I've read on GAF in.... well, today.

Tell me in all honestly how long you think it took to make those missions. Seriously. I want to know what logic brings you to make such an inane statement.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Every free DLC could have easily been in the game day one, all the extra missions barely took 10 minutes of your time. The game is good but it's funny how people are praising CDPR for doing this.
That's a long shot you take here and pretty ridiculous. The way games are made today it's impossible to say what could/should/would have been in the final game and what not. Most games are planned with DLC in mind from the beginning. It's just how it is.

God knows how many small/big quest or whatever used to be cut from RPGs when there was no way to add them later on.

At the end of the day CDPR is giving you additional free content for a game that already over delivers on the 60 bucks they charged for it. Stop being ungrateful.

erawsd

Where did I complain about the amount of content The Witcher 3 shipped with?

NG+ is by far the most significant piece of this 16 free DLC piece program, but really, can we really class some of what we got as DLC? Yeah, it's downloaded content, but the majority of it amounted to alternate costumes or armour/weapon sets. I would be insulted if I was asked to pay for stuff like that.

Again, if its not DLC then what is it when the exact same stuff is being sold in just about every other AAA game on the market? Looking at the prices of skins, armor sets, additional story segments in other games they could very easily by selling this stuff for a total of $20-30.

I love the game but I for one am also glad i never fell for this "free DLC" campaign of theirs. Who do they think they are trying to fool us out of our own hard earned 0 dollars in order to give us this stuff that should have been in the game in the first place.

It's the same content....

image.php

I love the game but I for one am also glad i never fell for this "free DLC" campaign of theirs. Who do they think they are trying to fool us out of our own hard earned 0 dollars in order to give us this stuff that should have been in the game in the first place.

I'm glad I wasn't nickled and dimed out of feeling like I needed to pirate the game to get all the content.

I don't know if that line actually made sense, it's late. I hope it did. I felt the initial joke was worth continuing.

Liamc723

Again, if its not DLC then what is it when the exact same stuff is being sold in just about every other AAA game on the market? Looking at the prices of skins, armor sets, additional story segments in other games they could very easily by selling this stuff for a total of $20-30.

$20!? Are you having a laugh?

Compared to the price of the expansion pass, all 16 pieces of DLC could be sold as a bundle at a price of $5 at an absolute maximum.

Garibaldi

Every free DLC could have easily been in the game day one, all the extra missions barely took 10 minutes of your time.

Now multiple the time it took you to complete the content by about 5000 and that's how much time they put into concepting, planning, designing, prototyping, iterating, integrating, testing and deploying said content....all for free.

Still think you're being reasonable here?

WanderingWind

$20!? Are you having a laugh?

Compared to the price of the expansion pass, all 16 pieces of DLC could be sold as a bundle at a price of $5 at an absolute maximum.

One only needs to look at Warner Bros. to see that's not true. It doesn't mean they're right in how they handle DLC, but it's not exactly "having a laugh" to describe reality. The Batgirl DLC is 7 bucks. Should is far different than could.

Top Bottom