• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More hints that AMD is building Nintendo NX’s processor (VentureBeat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHlover

Banned
Wouldnt count on it, they would sabotage their christmas business. Splatoon still running good, plus Mario Maker close by. Announced maybe in February or March next year

Yeah I was thinking more in terms of Jan or Feb 2016 instead of E3 2016 as was what iirc the majority had speculated before.

Rodin

Not only about the power, if it runs UE4 just like that (obviously we have no idea how customized the NX version of UE4 is right now) we may also be able to assume that NX is pretty straightforward to program for and given decent success would also continue to get ports if Sony or MS decide to release PS5/ Xbox whatever relatively early.
From the hints it shouId be powered by an AMD APU.

The Wii u can support UE4 too(in some form anyway). The announcement doesn't say anything about the unannounced system's power outside of the fact that its as strong(or stronger) than the Wii U.
The WiiU will see some kind of UE4 support because Armature will port it with Bloodstained, a 2D game that also runs on the Vita and that will be out in 2017 iirc. If Square has a DQXI UE4 version for NX scheduled for 2016, it's probably a different thing (like, Epic themselves ported the engine for the hardware and anyone can already use it to make games on it).

We don't know for sure if that is the case though, as it's possible that it's the 3DS version improved for the next portable, or home, or both. Or the handheld will have the 3ds version and the home the ps4 one. We don't know :p

I find it incredible that an NX title has been announced before we know anything about NX, let alone what kind of hardware it even is... handheld, console, both? Which is DQXI coming for? What the fuck is going on?

Tizoc

I apologize if this was asked already but can Ninty really make it with the NX being a new console to compete against the PS4 and X1?
I'd assumed the NX was gonna be some online service TBH, not a console =X

Übermatik;173195901 said:
I find it incredible that an NX title has been announced before we know anything about NX, let alone what kind of hardware it even is... handheld, console, both? Which is DQXI coming for? What the fuck is going on?
Probably the PS4 version. Ill say it again why would square port X (10) to the NX if its a handheld ? Its already on 3DS and Vita has more than enough power and install base to have it. NX gonna be stronk yall

jman2050

Having DQXI as a potential launch title is a pretty damn big deal, even if it's only a port.

It's funny though how this announcement doesn't actually tell us much about the NX as you would think because we have no idea which version of DQXI is being brought over.

D_prOdigy

it's kind of ingenious that, because X and XI have both home console and 3DS versions, this STILL doesn't tell us definitively about the NX form factor.

antonz

I apologize if this was asked already but can Ninty really make it with the NX being a new console to compete against the PS4 and X1?

Nintendo seems confident with their approach to the NX. DQXI is a huge win for them and if it is indeed the PS4 version it could open hem up to KH3 and other titles.

KHlover

Banned

Wasn't NX confirmed to be a dedicated gaming console like a year ago when we saw how Nintendo planned their new account system?

Yeah I was thinking more in terms of Jan or Feb 2016 instead of E3 2016 as was what iirc the majority had speculated before.

January would be to early though. People buying a Wii U for christmas would get mad. So late February to End of March seems likely...E3 could be to late already

So Dragon Quest XI just got announced for the NX. And the main version of that game runs on Unreal 4 -- 3DS is getting a bespoke version that's built around that system.

I'm guessing that means whatever makes it into the NX handheld is Unreal 4 capable, which is very encouraging as my worst expectation for the handheld was it having a Snapdragon 400 inside it.

What's making the UE4 version the main version? If anything this just confirms the NX will have 2 screens for me. ^^

What's making the UE4 version the main version? If anything this just confirms the NX will have 2 screens for me. ^^

Very unlikely, as Nintendo wants a clean break this generation from the previous two. 3DS was an evolution from DS, Wii U from Wii.

Also, the NX is getting Dragon Quest X as well, which the PS4 has been confirmed to be getting.

nubbe

Squenix certainly wouldn't do a down port job
But a side port that wouldn't require much work to move over from PS4

Rion

Probably the PS4 version. Ill say it again why would square port X (10) to the NX if its a handheld ? Its already on 3DS and Vita has more than enough power and install base to have it. NX gonna be stronk yall

SCE is co-developing DQ10 for PS4. So, DQ10 for PS4 and NX will not be the same. I suspect that NX is simply backward compatible with 3DS, hence the announcement.

I'm inclined to agree... The fact it's announced for 3DS being the main reason I think this is a home release.

As for the stronk bit, well, we'll see... hopefully this points to UE4 support and PS4+ power.

Wasn't NX confirmed to be a dedicated gaming console like a year ago when we saw how Nintendo planned their new account system?

It's definitely hardware based, there could be a handheld version and console version released simultaneously for all we know.

Squenix certainly wouldn't do a down port job
But a side port that wouldn't require much work to move over from PS4

...When some people expected a Vita version, I don't think their idea was a totally different game design like the one for 3DS.

From the hints it shouId be powered by an AMD APU.

The WiiU will see some kind of UE4 support because Armature will port it with Bloodstained, a 2D game that also runs on the Vita and that will be out in 2017 iirc. If Square has a DQXI UE4 version for NX scheduled for 2016, it's probably a different thing (like, Epic themselves ported the engine for the hardware and anyone can already use it to make games on it).

The thing that never gets mentioned with regard to the Bloodstained UE4 port... They've promised to port UE4 to Wii U, but I haven't seen them state that they're actually going to maintain it afterwards. That would be extremely time-consuming, thankless, not to mention unpaid work, so I doubt they will.

Any other developer using their UE4 Wii U port is going to be stuck on whatever specific version of the engine that Bloodstained used. UE4 is constantly being improved and updated (for example, it was only just recently the engine got proper open-world support). It won't be long before the Wii U's UE4 is badly outdated and full of unaddressed bugs.

Hopefully the NX gets a proper, long-term UE4 support from Epic themselves. A one-time third-party port like Bloodstained's is a nice gesture of good will, but totally unreliable and unfeasible in the longterm.

Tizoc

I assumed it'd be some sort of service ala Steam :p

Nintendo seems confident with their approach to the NX. DQXI is a huge win for them and if it is indeed the PS4 version it could open hem up to KH3 and other titles.

I am of the notion that most consumers worldwide got a PS4 already or are getting a PS4 particularly for KH3 and other upcoming AAA tiles from S-E, etc.
I don't see how KH3 on the NX would help it in that scenario >_>;

Personally if the NX is not region locked, can run Wii games, lets you access all Ninty eShops (JP, US, etc.) and has an account system just like PS3 or PS4 then it gets my money.
Dat JP eShop VC library HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Very unlikely, as Nintendo wants a clean break this generation from the previous two. 3DS was an evolution from DS, Wii U from Wii.

Also, the NX is getting Dragon Quest X as well, which the PS4 has been confirmed to be getting.

Whats giving you the idea they want a clean break? Couldn't be further from the truth. The 3DS version will just be playable within the NX ecosystem (console and handheld) as they share their libraries. Nothing more from this news. Ecpect lots of Wii U games to be adapted too. ;)

antonz

I assumed it'd be some sort of service ala Steam :p

I am of the notion that most consumers worldwide got a PS4 already or are getting a PS4 particularly for KH3 and other upcoming AAA tiles from S-E, etc.
I don't see how KH3 on the NX would help it in that scenario >_>;

Personally if the NX is not region locked, can run Wii games, lets you access all Ninty eShops (JP, US, etc.) and has an account system just like PS3 or PS4 then it gets my money.
Dat JP eShop VC library HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Its more about Nintendo being able to say they are no longer out of the picture and forced to support their system alone. Being able to multiplat on Japanese titles would be a big boost to them and companies like SE hav no problem with that idea.

Whats giving you the idea they want a clean break? Couldn't be further from the truth. The 3DS version will just be playable within the NX ecosystem (console and handheld) as they share their libraries. Nothing more from this news. Ecpect lots of Wii U games to be adapted too. ;)

What's giving you the idea that Square Enix would port the 3DS version instead of the Unreal Engine 4 version? Any rational company wouldn't do that, it's against the interests of both Square, who are making a bespoke version for 3DS which wouldn't suit a new platform as well, and Nintendo, who want NX to be clearly differentiated from the last generation. Up-porting a 3DS game doesn't fulfil either of those aims.

SCE is co-developing DQ10 for PS4. So, DQ10 for PS4 and NX will not be the same. I suspect that NX is simply backward compatible with 3DS, hence the announcement.

It would be too costly for Nintendo to implement 3DS backwards compatibility next generation, and Nintendo plans on continuing to sell and produce 3DS games after NX launches. The transition from DS to 3DS was straightforward, one replaced the other. NX won't replace 3DS in the short term.

Rion

Just goes to show which people follow DQ.

My bet are the ones who know the difference between X and XI.

lol, read my last post. I was answering the question regarding the port, not the game. Obviously DQ10 is still gonna be DQ10.

Galava

Q4 2016 release of NX with DQX as launch title. DQXI shortly after that.

If NX is a combination of portable+home console Pokémon Generation 7 release early 2017.

Maybe Kingdom Hearts 3 launch on NX/PS4/XBONE in mid 2017 assuming NX supports UE4 (I don't see why not).

I'm an optimistic person.

What's giving you the idea that Square Enix would port the 3DS version instead of the Unreal Engine 4 version? Any rational company wouldn't do that, it's against the interests of both Square, who are making a bespoke version for 3DS which wouldn't suit a new platform as well, and Nintendo, who want NX to be clearly differentiated from the last generation. Up-porting a 3DS game doesn't fulfil either of those aims.

It would be too costly for Nintendo to implement 3DS backwards compatibility next generation, and Nintendo plans on continuing to sell and produce 3DS games after NX launches. The transition from DS to 3DS was straightforward, one replaced the other. NX won't replace 3DS in the short term.

The catch of NX is to have both libraries treatet as main releases. Why downport a PS4 version (it won't be at 1,7 tflops, it will be cheap as hell) when you can just take the handheld version. Handheld or home console make no difference on NX.

Rodin

The thing that never gets mentioned with regard to the Bloodstained UE4 port... They've promised to port UE4 to Wii U, but I haven't seen them state that they're actually going to maintain it afterwards. That would be extremely time-consuming, thankless, not to mention unpaid work, so I doubt they will.

Any other developer using their UE4 Wii U port is going to be stuck on whatever specific version of the engine that Bloodstained used. UE4 is constantly being improved and updated (for example, it was only just recently the engine got proper open-world support). It won't be long before the Wii U's UE4 is badly outdated and full of unaddressed bugs.

Hopefully the NX gets a proper, long-term UE4 support from Epic themselves. A one-time third-party port like Bloodstained's is a nice gesture of good will, but totally unreliable and unfeasible in the longterm.
Yup, exactly.
NX will be E3 2016
Hopefully, they'll have a dedicated event in february/march, like Sony did with the PS4.

How do you know this?
Unless he'a a very reliable insider, he really doesn't, like the rest of us.

NX possibily being a family of hardware under the same OS/architecture could mean many things in regard of DQXI ... it could be a handheld with BC to 3DS, or really getting its own version ... or a console on PS4 like level that allows easy porting.

Gonna be one interesting reveal, at least.

Hermii

Its pretty crazy that games are being announced for what is currently only a codename.

Has this ever happened before? Was there games announced for Durango or Orbis?

Galava

NX possibily being a family of hardware under the same OS/architecture could mean many things in regard of DQXI ... it could be a handheld with BC to 3DS, or really getting its own version ... or a console on PS4 like level that allows easy porting.

Gonna be one interesting reveal, at least.

Speculation: NX being portable+home console (you plug/connect the portable in a dock or wireless to get more power and play either on the portable screen or tv). NX could have both DQXI versions (3DS and PS4).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom