• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobius: Final Fantasy's launch is a huge success, hits #5 top grossing iOS app in JP

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, when you put it like that, it's super depressing. These types of things are just too lucrative for companies to pass up.

This is also how preservation dies. This is not a game that will last. 20 years from now will it even be possible to play? Not that any companies actually care about that.

I would want to think that in 20 years time, some form of emulation and community enabled servers for the current gen/crop of mobile games would have taken form and critical mass reached for some titles.

If you're thinking about official servers for particular games, however, the demise of online infrastructure locking out a gaming experience is neither new nor specific to the mobile platform. Many PC and console games have pretty much been lost to the ether with server plugs being pulled.

(On PC less so, since if there's a dedicated community, someone inadvertently will figure it out - open platform and all that)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I would want to think that in 20 years time, some form of emulation and community enabled servers for the current gen/crop of mobile games would have taken form and critical mass reached for some titles.

If you're thinking about official servers for particular games, however, the demise of online infrastructure locking out a gaming experience is neither new nor specific to the mobile platform. Many PC and console games have pretty much been lost to the ether with server plugs being pulled.

(On PC less so, since if there's a dedicated community, someone inadvertently will figure it out - open platform and all that)
The games lost to time are almost entirely of the MMO variety. I could imagine a scenario when it becomes very difficult to access older mobile titles whether they're single or multiplayer.

Kitoro

Does it have a satisfying gacha system, friends list, co-op, and many other social elements and leaderboard events with prizes? If not, it won't stay up there for long.

Two things:

• The game has apparently exceeded 1 million downloads - I read the news somewhere but now I cannot find it anymore. As we know, downloads are meaningless as long as the game is free and what matters is how people spend on micro-transactions.
  • After a few days almost at the top of the grossing chart, Mobius has been steadily decreasing; now it's 15th on iPhone, and 8th on iPad (where it kept grossing better).

rbIOsCz.png

Falk

that puzzling face
Dat dip. Completely makes sense that it'd do better on iPad.

Wonder where it's gonna settle.

Wow, what a steep drop indeed. It seems that being a more traditional jRPG, it had early adopters akin to day-one purchasers and now it is slowly fading. Let's how it's performing in a month or so.

duckroll

I think the biggest problem is that they launched with just a single story chapter, and most players who are likely to be spending money on the game would have powered through it in a day or two. They'll need to keep pace with players if they don't want people losing interest quickly.

I think the biggest problem is that they launched with just a single story chapter, and most players who are likely to be spending money on the game would have powered through it in a day or two. They'll need to keep pace with players if they don't want people losing interest quickly.

I guess it's an inherent problem with the higher production values. You can't churn out content as fast as...Terra Battle and similar games.

duckroll

I guess it's an inherent problem with the higher production values. You can't churn out content as fast as...Terra Battle and similar games.

I don't think that's a good comparison. Terra Battle is super duper slow at churning out new content. The difference is that they launched the game with 30 full chapters and an ending.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing it for a few minutes a day since launch. Haven't spent any money, of course.

It's got a really slick presentation and the battle system is pretty fun.

With that said, I think F2P stuff just isn't for me. All of the associated elements like stamina bars that recover on a timer, needing to spend stamina to access a level, daily login bonuses, cards and the gambling element associated with them, crafting cards together, social hooks with renting cards from other players, etc. It all comes together to be a pretty major turn off. You can't help but feel that they spent more time coming up with ways to addict the player than actually making a compelling gaming experience.

I've been playing it for a few minutes a day since launch. Haven't spent any money, of course.

It's got a really slick presentation and the battle system is pretty fun.

With that said, I think F2P stuff just isn't for me. All of the associated elements like stamina bars that recover on a timer, needing to spend stamina to access a level, daily login bonuses, cards and the gambling element associated with them, crafting cards together, social hooks with renting cards from other players, etc. It all comes together to be a pretty major turn off. You can't help but feel that they spent more time coming up with ways to addict the player than actually making a compelling gaming experience.

That's how it is when you give a game for free and you are not already an established reality in the market (e.g. some MOBAs).

I don't think that's a good comparison. Terra Battle is super duper slow at churning out new content. The difference is that they launched the game with 30 full chapters and an ending.

Well, I see is not a good comparison, but I was referring to games with considerably lower production values, change Terra Battle to any F2P RPG that can slap a few new drawings, maybe some sptrites, some text, release it and call it a day.

Felessan

Slowdown is expected as initial rush (in both players and in-app purchases) already done, game itself does not really required constant investments. Now it's all down to number of active players - whether they will be able expand userbase (and thus drive revenue up) or not.

Mobius have extra big dungeon (in two difficulties) that itself will take quite a lot of time to finish. Terra Battle on other hand have major drawback - there no "extra hard" content and thus difficulty ceiling is rather low and as a result not much to do after storyline was completed.

You are new to F2P?
Mobius invented nothing new, this stuff is in almost every other f2p game now. SE just copy-paste typical approach to monetization making it as standard as possible.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You are new to F2P?
Mobius invented nothing new, this stuff is in almost every other f2p game now. SE just copy-paste typical approach to monetization making it as standard as possible.

Don't see how it being standard has anything to do with what I said.

I'm definitely not new to F2P, but this kind of crap bothers me in every game I try, so I never get very far. The constant push to get players to spend money is just tremendously off-putting.

Felessan

Don't see how it being standard has anything to do with what I said.
I'm definitely not new to F2P, but this kind of crap bothers me in every game I try, so I never get very far. The constant push to get players to spend money is just tremendously off-putting.
It's related to the part -
You can't help but feel that they spent more time coming up with ways to addict the player than actually making a compelling gaming experience.
The way f2p stuff implemented - SE clearly doesn't bothered much to invent something or even put some extra efforts into thinking how-to monetize a game. They just reused standard stuff, they even used it before themselves (FFRK have very similar payment structure).

Mobius is quite friendly by F2P standards, you don't really need to constantly spend money, and game itself is not pushing you enough to have such incentive. You need somehow obtain a good initial setup and preferably non-starter class, but after that there no real reason to spend money.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's related to the part -
You can't help but feel that they spent more time coming up with ways to addict the player than actually making a compelling gaming experience.
The way f2p stuff implemented - SE clearly doesn't bothered much to invent something or even put some extra efforts into thinking how-to monetize a game. They just reused standard stuff, they even used it before themselves (FFRK have very similar payment structure).

Mobius is quite friendly by F2P standards, you don't really need to constantly spend money, and game itself is not pushing you enough to have such incentive. You need somehow obtain a good initial setup and preferably non-starter class, but after that there no real reason to spend money.

The fact that this is considered friendly by F2P standards really goes to show why there is such a stigma, as was discussed in that other thread.

Yes, the business model they use is more or less lifted from other games, but that doesn't change that it feels like they focused more on that end than the actual game. Yes, that's subjective, I know. Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that they tried to come up with a new business model or anything.

wmlk

With more impressive technical games like these, it's probably more difficult and time consuming to make and release good content so that more people can come back to the game.

duckroll

Top Bottom