• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Giant Beastcast: Episode X (July 31, 2015)

Austin has a ton to offer conversations, with lots of insight and great points, conversations that would otherwise end in 2 minutes become great discussions. He is definitely an amazing asset to the crew. He's a bit wordy but that's not a bad thing. He's very intelligent and he is able to express himself in great detail. I find Austin to be really refreshing.

This episode has sealed it in for me: I think Alex is the funniest GB personality by far now. His comedic timing is impeccable. His dry wit humor and self-deprecating jokes are on point almost all the time.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, it's weird. They broke the feeds for BeyondPod and Pocket Casts within two weeks, two of the biggest podcast apps out there.

robotrock

Banned
This podcast gets better and better. Three hours went by like nothing. Austin is a great addition to the crew.
The guest next week I believe is
Gita Jackson from the Match 3 Podcast

Yoo. Super excited for this.
This episode has sealed it in for me: I think Alex is the funniest GB personality by far now. His comedic timing is impeccable. His dry wit humor and self-deprecating jokes are on point almost all the time.

Totally, it's incredible.

Austin has a ton to offer conversations, with lots of insight and great points, conversations that would otherwise end in 2 minutes become great discussions. He is definitely an amazing asset to the crew. He's a bit wordy but that's not a bad thing. He's very intelligent and he is able to express himself in great detail. I find Austin to be really refreshing.

Austin is a fantastic addition to the crew. It's really nice having an actual academic on the show, someone who can bring in stuff from Zimmerman, Salen and other game academics into a discussion brings a nice broader room for discussions.

Plus the rest seem into it, and like giving each topic room to breath, which is nice. It doesn't feel like an attempt to cover a complex issue in two minutes, but instead give it the needed twenty.

B_Signal

I really like Austin, and I think he offers something GB have never really had before, even from Patrick

But I do kind of get the complaints. I think it was last week he was talking about people complaining he was brining up gender issues in games, he said something along the lines of "gender politics can still be fun guys"

I think it can be interesting, and it's good that he can hold his own on those topics, but 'fun' isn't the word I'd use. He sounded like Mr Mackey from South Park or something (just to stress, I've no issue with them talking about that stuff)

Trojan

This podcast is great - can't say it beats the Bombcast yet because I love the Jeff-Brad-Jason-Dan combo, but the in-depth discussions they hit on in the Beastcast are unmatched. Feel like the Bombcast is funnier while the Beastcast is more insightful on gaming as an industry.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I like Austin a lot and Alex has really flourished recently. Good stuff.

This podcast is great - can't say it beats the Bombcast yet because I love the Jeff-Brad-Jason-Dan combo, but the in-depth discussions they hit on in the Beastcast are unmatched. Feel like the Bombcast is funnier while the Beastcast is more insightful on gaming as an industry.

It's funny because I think it's the opposite. The Beastcast has a higher ceiling for humor but their industry commentary is generally dull and unengaging, mostly because Austin is the only person with anything to say when it comes to that and everyone just tends to agree with him all the time or offer generic platitudes.

Trojan

It's funny because I think it's the opposite. The Beastcast has a higher ceiling for humor but their industry commentary is generally dull and unengaging, mostly because Austin is the only person with anything to say when it comes to that and everyone just tends to agree with him all the time or offer generic platitudes.

I would agree Austin is definitely the most knowledgeable and brings up most of the main topics. Overall, both podcasts are head and shoulders above most of the other podcasts I listen to so I'm just happy they formed a great East crew to double the output. Will be interesting to see how the East podcast takes shape.

big_z

Yeah, I like Austin a lot and Alex has really flourished recently. Good stuff.

Alex and vinny are like opposite sides of a magnet, they work incredibly well together.

Austin is like Patrick but hes doesn't have the boner over hipster indie stuff the same way. I like him so far but the shitty part of giant bombs community will always be looking for something to shit on.

the beastcast is slowly replacing my podcast fix for the main GB crew

I like it a lot as well. the conversations go down interesting paths and derail in very enjoyable ways. you can tell the guys are having a blast and that makes it super fun to listen to.

Con_Smith

Banned
Lwow we got hate for Austin? Thought we would embrace someone intellegently discussing games plus who else would bring the hip hop knowledge on the random.

Haters bro.

Alex and vinny are like opposite sides of a magnet, they work incredibly well together.

They're a good duo, Alex is best when playing the straight man and Vinny's hijinks give him plenty of room to do it.

Lwow we got hate for Austin? Thought we would embrace someone intellegently discussing games plus who else would bring the hip hop knowledge on the random.

Haters bro.
I see more reactions to this "hate" than actual complaints about Austin. He's probably the best received new GB member since the original four. Patrick, Drew, and Dan got it a lot worse.

Trojan

People can choose to like whatever they feel like, but it basically sounds like Austin gets shit for speaking his mind when games spill into other parts of society - e.g. his Hardline review. I love that the guy isn't afraid to call out controversial topics and I think he's usually right in his analysis.

It's also funny that people would actually go to bat for Battlefield: Hardline. That game was pants.

Rosur

I do like Austin and thinks hes been a great addition to the team don't see why he would get hate... Also i'm preferring to listen to the beastcast than the bombcast.

Sulik2

This episode was fantastic. It's amazing how much better at podcasts a year of scoops and the wolf made Alex. Jeff Bakalar should be a permanent chair. Dude is perfect with the crew.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Beastcast is on par with Ryan - Jeff - Vinny - Brad feat. Dave era bombcasts. Straight up loving it.

Nerokis

I really like Austin, and I think he offers something GB have never really had before, even from Patrick

But I do kind of get the complaints. I think it was last week he was talking about people complaining he was brining up gender issues in games, he said something along the lines of "gender politics can still be fun guys"

I think it can be interesting, and it's good that he can hold his own on those topics, but 'fun' isn't the word I'd use. He sounded like Mr Mackey from South Park or something (just to stress, I've no issue with them talking about that stuff)

I see nothing wrong with him using the word "fun" there. I have fun when I hear the guys break down a game in terms of its design, narrative, graphics, whatever. It's also fun to hear them talk about games through a social lens. I enjoyed hearing Austin's perspective on Battlefield Hardline, for example.

Not every social critique has to become an exhausting Twitter battle. It's nice to hear someone who clearly genuinely enjoys exploring that side of things.

GolazoDan

Beastcast is bestcast. I like how in the news bit they all have their own little news items and they just go on big discussions about non-game subjects, but in much more depth than the usual Bombcast diversions. Like just a big chat about the privacy of the internet leading into an extensive conversation about Hulk Hogan. It was genuinely interesting.

And yeah, if we're comparing the newer Giant Bomb voices, I really prefer Austin to Dan. Dan's alright, seems like a nice guy, but there's never much substance to his points on the podcast. Usually boils down to whether or not it was a cool thing with cool dudes doing cool dude stuff, which is totally okay. Austin's probably just better at enunciating his views.

faridmon

I really like Austin as a member of a GBEast but I don't like how much he takes to explain a point. It feels like he is going through so may vocabularies to make his point across. I just wish he would just speak succinctly and straight!

lawnchair

Banned
And yeah, if we're comparing the newer Giant Bomb voices, I really prefer Austin to Dan. Dan's alright, seems like a nice guy, but there's never much substance to his points on the podcast. Usually boils down to whether or not it was a cool thing with cool dudes doing cool dude stuff, which is totally okay. Austin's probably just better at enunciating his views.

1000%.

I don't think Alex has ever made me laugh once. Not that he has to. But I don't find his brand of humor super funny. Not when there's a wit as quick as Vinny's beside him. And Jeff will always be the comedy king of GB. When Jeff is on, he's an incredibly fucking funny person.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dan might not be as nuanced as austin on the bombcast but he's invaluable for content around the site. The series that he has kickstarted, like demo derby, MGScanlon and Mario party party have all been the exact shot in the arm Giantbomb needed.

They all provide their value in different ways.

Dan might not be as nuanced as austin on the bombcast but he's invaluable for content around the site. The series that he has kickstarted, like demo derby, MGScanlon and Mario party party have all been the exact shot in the arm Giantbomb needed.

They all provide their value in different ways.

That's true. Dan seems at least majorly responsible for almost all the best new site content. Danswers, MGScanlon, Demo Derby, the podcasts with his dad, MPP, and that roller coaster thing that sure as shit wasn't Jeffs idea.

B_Signal

I see nothing wrong with him using the word "fun" there. I have fun when I hear the guys break down a game in terms of its design, narrative, graphics, whatever. It's also fun to hear them talk about games through a social lens. I enjoyed hearing Austin's perspective on Battlefield Hardline, for example.

Not every social critique has to become an exhausting Twitter battle. It's nice to hear someone who clearly genuinely enjoys exploring that side of things.

I think it's interesting, I don't think it's fun, but each to their own :)

edit to say: my point was more I can understand the criticism about the way he comes across. I like him and think he's what GB have been missing, but I can see why some might be put off

I think the bombcast should adopt the beastcast format of having each person present a news story. I think it helps to get everyone involved in the discussion.

Kusagari

How is that really any different than the Bombcast with Jeff? Brad might initially offer some other viewpoint but almost always ends up agreeing with Jeff anyway.

At least on the Beascast they all talk in the commentary, even if it's just agreement. Dan and Drew are just silent.

I really like Austin as a member of a GBEast but I don't like how much he takes to explain a point. It feels like he is going through so may vocabularies to make his point across. I just wish he would just speak succinctly and straight!

I like that about him. He explains himself rather then just saying a single line that is super reductive and doesn't allow for the needed nuance in a discussion. It's not the worst or best ever but more then that. And I love him for it.

And Alex has really found a groove with a Vinny and Austin. They fit really well together those three. I hope they all enjoy working together.

lawnchair

Banned
I think it's interesting, I don't think it's fun, but each to their own :)

edit to say: my point was more I can understand the criticism about the way he comes across. I like him and think he's what GB have been missing, but I can see why some might be put off

maybe if he spoke about taco bell more often

Kusagari

Also the only real Austin hate seems to be on GAF. I looked through the comments for this episode on the site and not a single complaint.

Austin will be alright as long he doesn't start skewing too smart, i.e. doing TED talks, then he'll run the risk of coming off as holier-than-thou and other issues that people had with Patrick.

so1337

I think the bombcast should adopt the beastcast format of having each person present a news story. I think it helps to get everyone involved in the discussion.
That's a great idea. That way Dan wouldn't simply amount to "AAAAAH Wrestling AAAAAH Taco Bell is great AAAAH I'm not cognisant of a common fact" and stay quiet the rest of the time.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Also the only real Austin hate seems to be on GAF. I looked through the comments for this episode on the site and not a single complaint.

also it's literally not hate

Top Bottom