• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh Oda left Bonney to wander alone for a reason, if that means joining later down the line it'd be amazing, but her fruit is an "all or nothing" situation in fights.

But well, this is the manga where we have a girl with eyes that can see through hundreds of meters and can summon whale-shaped metal tears to attack foes, so Oda could create a way for bonney to "fight" with her powers.

The only character with a fruit like Bonney is Sugar. Her power at least seems less easily countered than Capone or X-Drake. She also seemed to be faster than Zoro. You can't really guess how she would fight. If you look at Hancock she seems to be a gimmick based character but when she started fighting she was mostly using kicks like Sanji.

Bonney cried after Whitebeard & Ace died. Lots of people are saying her devil fruit is what keep the gorosei from aging because they look exactly the same as they did 20 years ago when Robin was still a kid. So they think they have been using Bonney's fruit to stay youthful. Straw hats are due for a new member. They got 4 in East Blue, 4 on the Grand Line, so perhaps 4 in the New World.

For females hmmmmm
1 Monet (Don't see it happening she seemed really evil, but she may have thrown that paper to Chopper that said "Don't do anything", in Ceasars Lab, still don't see it happening she has the same eyes as Mihawk too.
2 Rebecca (she's gonna be princess and stay like Vivi)
3 Violet (interesting, she may be associated with Doflamingo still so the Marines may be after her) her powers would really serve as a great backup like Robin, I would give the highest chances to her.
4 Bonney (she is suposedly named after Anne Bonney. When Ace's mother died she said Roger said if it's a boy Ace if it's a girl Anne. We still don't know why she cried & went to the new world after ace and whitebeard died.) She has the second highest chance of joining since her crew was probably captured or disbanded which would be ok to join the SH.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Violet interacting with Sanji each week would be too much. It'd be like a certain Amazon Empress joining the crew.

My personal opinion is I think she is dead, he stabbed her heart. Other people are trying to say she's still alive and she was a good person and blah blah blah. Hey if Law can die like 500 times in a single day & live why can't she? It's call cause in one of those Chapter covers she's reading a book on I think Astrology & on the top of the Sunny there is telescope so people think it foreshadows her, but I think they are trying to hard.

When Monet and Virgo show up alive in a cover story I hope I won't be the only one who isn't shocked.

Theory is Virgo has an iron devil fruit so things with iron can stick to him. That's why he didn't use a sword he used a bamboo & his haki is a different color than everyone else who uses arnament is cause of the iron fruit. So its possible he survived the explosion if iron and stuff stuck to him instead of destroying him. But him getting his body back together would be a diff thing cause I really think you need Law for that.
People are saying the angle which Monet's heart was stabbed could mean she didn't die, so lots of peoples hops are alive.

I still think she is dead. And all this talk about Sabo's talking crows and crows are an animal and Kuina is an animal name & stuff. No Kuina is dead as well. I think Monet is dead, Kuina is dead as well.

Wow........ just watched the clip of when the Marines went to were Portgas D Rogue's island to look for her. The information they received was that he was spotted on the island & was acting like a father. Ace's mom had no signs of being pregnant. If it's a girl is Anne (Jewelry Bonney?) if it's a boy it's Ace. My Mind has been Mind crushed

Veelk

Banned
She was stabbed in the heart....

Kinda hard to live with that

Unless you're kaido

Has he been stabbed in the heart?

The heart is like the single vulnerable organ in OP. You can pretty much destroy any part of your body and you'll be fine. But if you hit the heart, you're f'ed. Which is funny, actually, as you can get heart transplant surgery relatively easily. I mean, if Franky can put himself through the kind of bodily alteration he did, the doctor in Marineford War probably could have found some heart in some random guy lying around to stick into ace.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Honestly the manga needs fresh heros to keep going for as long as it has been. It's good that Law was so popular in Dressrosa even if we didn't see as much from characters like Sanji or Robin as people wanted.

popular is an understatement. I think he's the #2 character behind luffy.

Veelk

Banned
Kaido fell 10,000 meters and lived

Stabbing his heart is no different. He would live

I really don't understand why people are so impressed by that. It takes 15 seconds to reach terminal velocity. Once you get to terminal velocity, you fall around 32 feet per second, which is 480 feet. So Kaido falling for something less than 480 feet is basically the same as him falling 10,000 feet, it just takes longer.

Besides that, while I realize his greater mass would produce more damage than it would do to a normal sized person, have any of you been reading the manga? We've seen hundreds of ordinary punches that would do more damage than a fall at terminal velocity would, even to a guy his size.

Meanwhile, the heart is the only consistent vulnerability that any given person has in OP. Doflamingo survived being 99% frozen because the ice didn't reach his heart before he made a move to break out. Erenu recovered by restarting his heart with electricity, even though his rip cage should be in pieces and preventing him from moving. According to Whitebeard's doctor, Ace died because his heart had been wounded, not even commenting on how Akainu melted through his upper spine.

Because in OP, the heart is the only organ that matters.

GaimeGuy

I really don't understand why people are so impressed by that. It takes 15 seconds to reach terminal velocity. Once you get to terminal velocity, you fall around 32 feet per second, which is 480 feet. So Kaido falling for something less than 480 feet is basically the same as him falling 10,000 feet, it just takes longer.

Besides that, while I realize his greater mass would produce more damage, have any of you been reading the manga? We've seen hundreds of punches that would do more damage than a fall at terminal velocity would, even to a guy his size.

You are applying real world logic to a fantasy story.

"This guy is so badass that he can't even hurt himself by skydiving without a parachute." is supposed to be the takeaway.

Also, Enel would be Luffy's worst matchup, rather than Luffy being Enel's worst matchup. Since rubber is an insulator, electricity doesn't freely pass through it. When Enel attacks luffy, his insides would heat up and burn to a crisp

Veelk

Banned
You are applying real world logic to a fantasy story.

"This guy is so badass that he can't even hurt himself by skydiving without a parachute." is supposed to be the takeaway.

Also, Enel would be Luffy's worst matchup, rather than Luffy being Enel's worst matchup. Since rubber is an insulator, electricity doesn't freely pass through it. When Enel attacks luffy, his insides would heat up and burn to a crisp

Partially, you're right, which is why OP fails for me on a lot of levels. I'm never impressed with a writer arbitrarily creating something 'awesome' when he doesn't have the justification for it.

But on the other hand, I am playing by the manga's rules here, you know. There has been plenty of normal attacks that did more damage than a fall would. In alabasta, that one dude survived a point blank bomb. I would expect atleast half the Straw Hats to do the same thing as Kaido, and the other half to manage it with maybe some injury. Oda created a universe where the impossible injuries are shrugged off all the time, so why should I be impressed with a guy falling down without a parachute?

And yeah, I know about Enel. I'm not sure why you brought it up.

The heart theme only came in with Law and the heart pirates.

But the thing with Kaidou seems to be that a blade would break before it could reach his heart.

He could open his mouth wide and look up and have a long sword stab down his throat...or do his inner organs have hard exteriors too?

Because in OP, the heart is the only organ that matters.

Whitebeard was not hit in the heart. The place that was flagged as important by Oda for him was the back. The first death in One Piece was Roger and that was a decapitation.

He could open his mouth wide and look up and have a long sword stab down his throat...or do his inner organs have hard exteriors too?

You are thinking about this pseudo-scietifically like that Kaidou's skin is made out of unobtainium. That's an odd mix of under thinking and over thinking.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Whitebeard was not hit in the heart. The place that was flagged as important by Oda for him was the back. The first death in One Piece was Roger and that was a decapitation.

Man, Toei's face will look red if Oda actually shows Roger's execution in full, and they realized they fucked up.

Veelk

Banned

Whitebeard's back was important because it was a point of pride that it was never injured, meaning he never ran away (Which seems like faulty logic to me, as a possible back injury could be that he snuck up on him, but that's neither here or there.). It's symbolically important.

As for Roger, I'll bet you that he's sitting up in Raftel, holding his head in his lap, waiting to troll the new person that arrives.

Anyway, I hadn't meant the comment literally that it's the only way you can injure a character. Obviously, it isn't. People can die in other ways. It is disproportionately important though. We've seen fighters can pretty much recover from ANY injury, except one to the heart, not anatomically.

You are thinking about this pseudo-scietifically like that Kaidou's skin is made out of unobtainium. That's an odd mix of under thinking and over thinking.

I'm a thinker in general. I'm willing to work within the premises Oda gives me, it's just that they usually break when I apply any sort of logic behind them. If someone wants to give me the idea "What if cars had square wheels" my response is "Well, then the roads would have to be built from different material that would somehow accommodate the shape." Hearts are vulnerable, and Kaido can't get to his because his skin is too tough? Try an orifice, known to be a softer part of the body.

It's not scientific, it's basic problem solving. Is there a reason I shouldn't try to apply it to OP?

Man, Toei's face will look red if Oda actually shows Roger's execution in full, and they realized they fucked up.

Oda will start writing Bezerk and vice versa then the universe will even out in terms of gore and number of chapters per year.

I'm a thinker in general. I'm willing to work within the premises Oda gives me, it's just that they usually break when I apply any sort of logic behind them. If someone wants to give me the idea "What if cars had square wheels" my response is "Well, then the roads would have to be built from different material that would somehow accommodate the shape." Hearts are vulnerable, and Kaido can't get to his because his skin is too tough? Try an orifice, known to be a softer part of the body.

It's not scientific, it's basic problem solving.

Well you think "what could make skin hard enough to break a blade" and then you stop and think probably nothing. Hearts are denser than skin anyway.

Veelk

Banned
Oda will start writing Bezerk and vice versa then the universe will even out in terms of gore and number of chapters per year.

The idea of a berserk written by Oda makes me throw up in my mouth a bit.

Well you think "what could make skin hard enough to break a blade" and then you stop and think probably nothing. Hearts are denser than skin anyway.

There's no reason for that to come up. The origin of the problem is irrelevant here. Or even if it was, we're working with a fictional universe, so we can just say "Plot element K did it". But fiction doesn't mean you don't have to think about it. I mean, you don't have to, yeah, but you can do that with real life too. But in a hypothetical universe where something exists that doesn't exist in our universe doesn't mean it is incomprehensible simply because it doesn't happen in our universe. There are plenty of stories that explore how humanity would react if, say, we discovered immortality. They ponder about how that would work, biologically, psychologically, sociologically, technologically, etc. They try to work out what the consequences of such a thing happening would entail.

All fiction does this, and a lot of reader judgements about the story are made based on how believable they find it. I'm not trying to even criticize the story here though, I'm just trying to work with it to see how it works. If Kaido has hard skin, does that mean his inner organs are also hardened? Based on how that works, the answer to killing him might be simple, if gory.

Not enough realistic rape for you maybe.

Ah, we're devolving into insulting each other now then? That's cool, I use that as a marker for when to end the conversation in any case. Assuming you did infact intend this meaning, I appreciate you being upfront about not being worth talking to.

Edit: And a grammar nazi on top of it. Classy.

GaimeGuy

Whitebeard's back was important because it was a point of pride that it was never injured, meaning he never ran away (Which seems like faulty logic to me, as a possible back injury could be that he snuck up on him, but that's neither here or there.). It's symbolically important.

As for Roger, I'll bet you that he's sitting up in Raftel, holding his head in his lap, waiting to troll the new person that arrives.

Anyway, I hadn't meant the comment literally that it's the only way you can injure a character. Obviously, it isn't. People can die in other ways. It is disproportionately important though. We've seen fighters can pretty much recover from ANY injury, except one to the heart, not anatomically.

It's not scientific, it's basic problem solving. Is there a reason I shouldn't try to apply it to OP?
Hell, Usopp, a normal human beeing, got hit in the head with a 4 ton baseball bat

Veelk

Banned
I'm getting the last word in because I'm not intimidated by your shtick at all.

Lol. Yeah, that's me, tough guy Veelk, here to teach you OP fans a lesson for liking OP.

If you feel I'm thread shitting, feel free to bring a mod into this. I'm sure once they see my posts, and then see yours, they'll hit the right person with a ban hammer. Meanwhile, I'm gonna go ahead and keep contributing with actual commentary on the story that this thread is about.

Hell, Usopp, a normal human beeing, got hit in the head with a 4 ton baseball bat

Hm...whats the biggest strongest attack-weakest person ratio that has appeared in the manga? I'm genuinely curious.

I can't remember if the Alabasta bomb was an actual nuke or not. Otherwise, I also remember Nami's father figure dude taking a lot of punishment, which is why his body was all messed up...though arlong might have specifically just been torturing the guy.

On the other hand, Kuina died from falling down the stairs. So idk, damage is really hard to measure in OP. Still, I'm pretty sure there have been a lot of things that did more damage that a TV fall would.

Lol. Yeah, that's me, tough guy Veelk, here to teach you OP fans a lesson for liking OP.

If you feel I'm thread shitting, feel free to bring a mod into this. I'm sure once they see my posts, and then see yours, they'll hit the right person with a ban hammer. Meanwhile, I'm gonna go ahead and keep contributing with actual commentary on the story that this thread is about.

Hm...whats the biggest strongest attack-weakest person ratio that has appeared in the manga? I'm genuinely curious.

I can't remember if the Alabasta bomb was an actual nuke or not. Otherwise, I also remember Nami's father figure dude taking a lot of punishment, which is why his body was all messed up...though arlong might have specifically just been torturing the guy.

On the other hand, Kuina died from falling down the stairs. So idk, damage is really hard to measure in OP. Still, I'm pretty sure there have been a lot of things that did more damage that a TV fall would.

Nami's mother. It was a girl, Bellemere.

edit: oh wait, maybe you're talking about Genzo?

And after Law's shenanigans in Dressrossa, it's hard to make a serious analysis tbh.

Veelk

Banned
Nami's mother. It was a girl, Bellemere.

edit: oh wait, maybe you're talking about Genzo?

Yeah, the dude with the scars. For some reason, I remember them saying he took a bunch of punishment, though I could be totally off base.

Right now, I think the most ridiculous attack a 'normal' person survived is that nuke. That guy didn't have haki or anything, he was basically an average fighter in the weaker half of the red line, and he somehow survives a point blank nuke. If that's the standard that supporting character set, then it's hard to understand why something like guns would be effective at all, or falls from the sky.

Yeah, the dude with the scars. For some reason, I remember them saying he took a bunch of punishment, though I could be totally off base.

Right now, I think the most ridiculous attack a 'normal' person survived is that nuke. That guy didn't have haki or anything, he was basically an average fighter in the weaker half of the red line, and he somehow survives a point blank nuke. If that's the standard that supporting character set, then it's hard to understand why something like guns would be effective at all, or falls from the sky.

If i remember correctly, Pagaya, a commoner of Skypiea, survived that lightning pillar-blast full-on from Enel. That one was pretty ridiculous too.

Veelk

Banned
If i remember correctly, Pagaya, a commoner of Skypiea, survived that lightning pillar-blast full-on from Enel. That one was pretty ridiculous too.

I completely forgot about that. Given Enel's power level, that might beat out the Alabasta nuke guy.

Enel kills a ton of people...who then don't die. He truly is a merciful god.

Heh.

Another good one is actually Franky to himself. He basically performed multiple bodily surgeries that included amputating his own limbs and internal organ surgery without anesthesia in that junkyard. I don't know if he had any kind of painkillers in Vegapunks lab, but he went further beyond there, including replacing his eyes. It's not as 'big' in terms of damage as the above, but the man literally destroyed his own body while somehow remaining sane enough to perform impossibly painful surgery. He probably should have died from the infections he must have gotten from performing surgery in the junkyard alone.

Tizoc

I only skimmed the recent chapter cuz I couldn't find better fan translation yet but gatdayum dat Kaidou.

smurfx

get some go again
Tbh Oda left Bonney to wander alone for a reason, if that means joining later down the line it'd be amazing, but her fruit is an "all or nothing" situation in fights.

But well, this is the manga where we have a girl with eyes that can see through hundreds of meters and can summon whale-shaped metal tears to attack foes, so Oda could create a way for bonney to "fight" with her powers.
bonney is a great addition because her fighting style allows her to deal with fodder. luffy is going to be fighting pirates with huge crews and instead of having to deal with them somebody like robin and bonney can team up and wreck entire ships of fodder and allow the big 3 to handle the toughest pirates.

SalvaPot

I was thinking, didn´t Whitebeard got his heart literally stabbed and he still survived until the end of the war? Hell, I remember that in the manga he actually had a hole where his heart was supposed to be.

What if Bonney is Luffys mom?

I was thinking, didn´t Whitebeard got his heart literally stabbed and he still survived until the end of the war? Hell, I remember that in the manga he actually had a hole where his heart was supposed to be.

No, but half of his head was torn off, you're probably thinking of that.

ryan13ts

I was looking back on the initial silhouette of the Yonkou and it's amazing how different Oda must have had Kaidou in mind. He looks nothing like that initial tease, and the same can be said for Big Mom too.

Yonkou.jpg

It's kind of interesting to see how things like this evolves. Also, I can't get over how ridiculously awesome and imposing Kaidou looks. I can totally see why Doflamingo was shitting his pants at the mere thought of having to fight Kaidou.

If Pell can survive an explosion while carrying a bomb anyone can survive anything in this anime :p

Monet is dead, Kuina is dead, Whitebeard is dead & so is Ace. Don't know why some guy gets like 80k views on youtube saying Ace is gonna return SMH. The chances of Moria taking Ace's and Whitebeards bodies & putting shadows in them are higher than Ace ever coming back.

I'm not convinced Monet is dead. Yes, by all rights she should have died from being stabbed through the heart, and I think she's more likely to be dead than any other incidental character in the series, but it's One Piece. People have survived less ridiculous things than her. I'm going to assume she's alive until I see a corpse.

We should probably have a poll of characters who we think if they died or not. Ace, Whitebard & especially Roger will not be on that poll.

I'm not convinced Monet is dead. Yes, by all rights she should have died from being stabbed through the heart, and I think she's more likely to be dead than any other incidental character in the series, but it's One Piece. People have survived less ridiculous things than her. I'm going to assume she's alive until I see a corpse.
When they picked up Caesar, Chopper got her heart & treated it lol

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I've always thought Roger isn't dead, but who knows. For a while I thought roger and dragon are the same person, still not a hundred percent sure they aren't.

I was looking back on the initial silhouette of the Yonkou and it's amazing how different Oda must have had Kaidou in mind. He looks nothing like that initial tease, and the same can be said for Big Mom too.

Yonkou.jpg

It's kind of interesting to see how things like this evolves. Also, I can't get over how ridiculously awesome and imposing Kaidou looks. I can totally see why Doflamingo was shitting his pants at the mere thought of having to fight Kaidou.

Sort of like that first image of the Shichibukai with them all holding swords. I'd love to see what his early Kaidou looked like though. If he ever had a person drawn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom