• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

I find mobile gaming to be superior to handheld gaming. The prices of most Vita games are okay but the good ones are also available on Android or ios and is usually cheaper. 3DS games are simply way too overpriced.

I would rather play those 3DS games on a console. Handheld games used to be about their pick up and play nature but mobile satisfies those needs much better now.

Besides, nothing quite compares to Hearthstone on the train.

Best wishes.

Now that phones are half decent I'm inclined to agree. The concept is definitely better in a similar fashion to PC. It's not a device dedicated to gaming and is useless outside of it, it's a device that does tons of useful things and happens to be able to play games.

G-Fex

I LOVE the Call of Duty series.

And I don't believe CoD fans should be stigmatized. The online community sure but not the people who love the campaign and multiplayer the same.

karasu

Naughty Dog games are wholly uninteresting and Nathan Drake is a terrible character. Being cinematic is not an accomplishment. Bad cinema is everywhere.

We need a game where the lead character is an elephant. Twenty something years of gaming and I've never controlled an elephant. This is tragic.

Team Ninja, or whatever they are called now, should be disbanded and dispersed to disparate parts of the earth. Their games are a vortex of bad art and soullessness. Dead or Alive shouldn't exist.

The big black guy trope should die a million times. Developers should be ashamed.

petran79

Banned
Consoles as the lead development platform is perfectly fine and we'd never get the production values that current AAA games like GTA5 and Witcher get without console gamers buying games at full retail value whilst PC gamers go for the GMG 25% off coupon/stolen keys/piracy and an overall "wait for the Steam sale" attitude.

I wouldnt mind text without dialogue and still pictures instead of cinematic FMV! It is how one gets used to it!

But even so, console gamers do not buy all their games at full price either. Usually 1/3 or 2/3 that of the original.

My friend discovered the underrated PS3 gem "Beyond 2 Two Souls" and got it cheaply from a video rental store (20 Euro). Also he got GTAV for 39 Euro

Naughty Dog games are wholly uninteresting and Nathan Drake is a terrible character. Being cinematic is not an accomplishment. Bad cinema is everywhere.

We need a game where the lead character is an elephant. Twenty something years of gaming and I've never controlled an elephant. This is tragic.

Team Ninja, or whatever they are called now, should be disbanded and dispersed to disparate parts of the earth. Their games are a vortex of bad art and soullessness. Dead or Alive shouldn't exist.

The big black guy trope should die a million times. Developers should be ashamed.

There was a really cool EA MegaDrive game where you controlled an elephant

Tembo the Badass Elephant is out right now.

Tsukumo

- without specials, Ryse has a better combat system (timing, camera-work, difficulty) than any of the Batman games.
- Dead Space 2 is the Resident Evil 4 of last generation.
- Zone of the Enders 2 plays like shit. Story is gross. Waste of great animations, fantastic mechs and a magnificent voice cast (in the Japanese version, of course).
- First Assassin's Creed plot isn't actually bad. The nature of the game (sandbox) and the actual screenplay ruined everything.
- Bioshock Infinite makes my stomach hurt and my heart ache and my head spin more than Mass Effect 3's ending ever did.
- Spec Ops the Elite is the only war-story worth a damn in the videogaming market.
- Captain America Super Soldier is actually a great game.

Halo is the best FPS series ever created. I don't think any other FPS can match it

Doom
Half Life
Quake
Deus Ex
System Shock
Bioshock
Etc..

Halo is a good series but I have always felt that it is given a little more praise than it deserves.

It could be a generational thing, I don't know, but when Halo busted into the scene and started growing in popularity, I just felt that it did not hold up when compared to the first 4 games on my list which I played or was playing at the time...it holds up even less now...my "blunt" opinion I suppose.

Tenebrous

Not sure if it's a controversial opinion or just a harsh truth, but I'm sick of people complaining about business models & franchises when they've no right to do so. Anyone who says CoD is samey, but continues to buy it, Ubisoft games are shit, but preorders them, or EA business practices are exploitative, but go on to play Ultimate Team needs to be slapped.

Almost every single negative evolution of the games industry has come down to spineless players who are willing to bend over for anything shiny and sparkly.

Halo is the best FPS series ever created. I don't think any other FPS can match it

Go make a Steam account & come back in a few months time.

Marvel

could never
I really don't like the Fallout games. Can never seem to get into them, I'll try a 3rd time with 4 but I think I'm going to hate it like the others.

VATS is cool, everything else not so much.

JeanPi

Banned
Doom
Half Life
Quake
Deus Ex
System Shock
Bioshock
Etc..

Halo is a good series but I have always felt that it is given a little more praise than it deserves.

It could be a generational thing, I don't know, but when Halo busted into the scene and started growing in popularity, I just felt that it did not hold up when compared to the first 4 games on my list which I played or was playing at the time...it holds up even less now...my "blunt" opinion I suppose.

It's because of the multiplayer. It revolutionized console online multiplayer. Also, it's fun as hell. Have to be really good at it tho.

Bl@de

It's because of the multiplayer. It revolutionized console online multiplayer. Also, it's fun as hell. Have to be really good at it tho.

It's because of consoles. Doom revolutionized Multiplayer years earlier and had fun deathmatch. Quake 3/UT99 were amazing multiplayer games and remain the best arena shooters to this day. It was all done before. But for console players Halo was something special. I played the first 2 entries. Good shooter. Nothing special.

Fuz

Banned
I played it (and HL2) back then. Nothing magical about the games. Quake 1/2 and F.E.A.R. were always better games. Half-Life (1) was just special at the time because of scripted sequences and more story focus. Overrated franchise.

And let's not forget No One Lives Forever. Replayed it recently and it's still amazing.

halo is crap for people who don't know what a FPS should be.

sjboi

The best looking outfits are tied to optional quests and chalices, or hidden in the environments. The later chalices, like Ailing Loran, Isz, and Ihyll are far more interesting that the first Pthumeru ones. I take it you only played those?

Yes we only played the first few dungeons. They all felt exactly the same so we stopped playing... I'll have to look into the more advanced dungeons and see if they're any good....

bobawesome

Just played through Bloodborne with a friend and found it extremely disappointing. It's not even half as long as Dark Souls 2, with barely any weapons or outfits! Where is my fashion souls? I couldn't believe it when we reached the final boss, it feels like half a game. And no, we didn't do all the chalice dungeons, because they were boring filler.

Dark Souls 1> Dark Soul 2>>>>>>>> Bloodborne

Bloodborne was a disappointment to me in many ways. I still like the game but I consider Dark Souls 2 to be way better.

Hikami

haven't posted in this thread yet I think
my tastes/opinions on games seem to differ from the majority. which sucks since just browsing on gaf for example; you get pages of people shitting on something you enjoyed. I don't know if I have 'bad taste' in games or just a higher tolerance for mediocrity

I found Tales of Symphonia sooo boring, I don't understand how people call that their favorite Tales game unless they haven't played any other ones. I even found Dawn of the new world's characters/story more interesting, though I gave up one that one because the combat was terrible.

Red Dead Redemption was also boring, only ended up playing it because it came with my xbox 360

let me also add Suikoden 1 to the boring category, gaf told me to play it before Suikoden 2 (which I actually liked way better than the first game). Now I try to tell people to skip the first one.

I enjoyed the FFXIII trilogy, Conception 2, Tales of; Xillia, Graces f, Halo 4, insert other "mediocre" games that I can't remember at the moment

Etrian Odyssey story mode >> classic mode
don't hurt me mauricio

Kazuma Kaneko's art style is ugly (for humans, it's cool for demons) the main reason I've avoided most SMT games. I've been warming up to it recently since I'm playing through Nocturne but, I think it's more like I'm forcing myself to like it

I find the monster hunter "clones" more enjoyable than actual monster hunter. MHX is looking pretty good though.

more stuff I'm missing that I can't remember at moment

It's because of consoles. Doom revolutionized Multiplayer years earlier and had fun deathmatch. Quake 3/UT99 were amazing multiplayer games and remain the best arena shooters to this day. It was all done before. But for console players Halo was something special. I played the first 2 entries. Good shooter. Nothing special.

My thoughts exactly.

Auctopus

The Konami hate train is the most boring/repetitive thing on GAF right now.

It's crazy to think whilst reading the comments on here that nobody still knows anything about what went down 'cause everyone seems to be an expert on production costs, marketing, business structure and how Konami works. The blind worship of Jim Sterling and Angry Joe just made things worse. Two internet personalities who are well known for stirring shit up in interviews and reviews disregard what Konami ask of them and are surprised when they company act in due course. Maybe Konami don't want to do interviews about their business structure when they're trying to market a very expensive game that they need to sell?

Okay, yes, maybe at the end of all this, if Keighley comes out with "The Final Hours of Metal Gear" we'll know that Konami were complete bastards but until then it just stifles conversation about an exciting game and ruins threads. Comments like "Typical Konami" and "I wouldn't surprised knowing Konami" are just boring and bandwaggony as this 'meme' didn't even exist before this year.

Additionally, if these Konami experts wouldn't stop painting the company as a group of morons who don't know what they're doing despite being in the VG business longer than they've been alive, we wouldn't have these pointless 'concern' threads about MGO.

I'm not defending Konami (OKay, maybe I am), I love Kojima as much as the next person (maybe not as much as Outer GAF) but I wish people would tone it down until we actually knew the truth.

Hatchtag

Banned
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous haha.

I'll say this, though... GAF is WAY too soft on the Vita & Sony's treatment for it.

I agree so much that GAF's super soft on Sony's Vita treatment. Their quick abandonment of the system pissed me off so much, and while people claimed that they tried, I don't think spin-off Uncharted and Killzone by developers who don't typically make games in the series really count as trying.

kiuo

I decided to try out Persona4Golden based on tons of people's recommended game for the pstv. I was never into the persona series but thought that i should give it a chance and decided to try P4G out as it was the most lauded rpg game for the vita and i found it wasnt that good of a game.

It had way too many gotdamn choices which i wouldnt mind if i was going to try roleplaying but there is always a best choice, and having to do this thousands of times really fucks with my brain. When i play rpg games, im always aiming to get the most out of the game, just to be able to see everything the game had to offer.

It has sooo many gotdamn personas that are arcanas of characters you meet in-game in which you soul link with. Then, in order to improve your relation with those characters you need to be carrying the right persona of their arcana and choosing the right choices to get the most points with them...i had to constantly switch out personas and at times restart for choosing the wrong answers.

Also, sometimes i just wanna go fight but cant and vice-versa because i got things to do in both world. Tired of fighting? Too bad u gotta beat this dungeon and those dungeons to complete those quests or otherwise you just wasted your day! Tired of talking to people? Too bad u gotta do it because going off to fight is just a waste of time (if you rescued the person in the tv the very first day).

Overall it just wasnt a fun experience, i may have had more fun just winging it with the choices and all but i just cant do that, Im constantly checking gamefaqs. I had 50hours clocked in and near the end of october. I should finish it sometime but for now im dead exhausted from the choices.

Max_Po

Banned
I agree so much that GAF's super soft on Sony's Vita treatment. Their quick abandonment of the system pissed me off so much, and while people claimed that they tried, I don't think spin-off Uncharted and Killzone by developers who don't typically make games in the series really count as trying.

Atleast it is a handheld, look on the other side with Nintendo.. Wii U ... weak 3rd party from start. With Reggie lying through his teeth with BO2 being better than x360+PS3.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I might like the FF7 remake but let me be honest, I'd be more happier if it was 9.

Also, I don't see what was so great about FF12.

Looks like a pain to play.

aravuus

I might like the FF7 remake but let me be honest, I'd be more happier if it was 9.

Also, I don't see what was so great about FF12.

Looks like a pain to play.

Looks like? So you haven't played FF XII? Lol

But I agree with the first part, IX is my favorite FF so I'd definitely want a remake of that one more.

Melchiah

Yes we only played the first few dungeons. They all felt exactly the same so we stopped playing... I'll have to look into the more advanced dungeons and see if they're any good....

Ailing Loran is themed around beasts, Isz involves cosmic kin, and the last boss in Ihyll is one of the best bosses in the game. Abhorrent Beast in Loran is one of the hardest bosses.

Mark of the Ninja is the worst game Klei has produced.

There is only one good Tales game, and that's Phantasia, a game on par with the original Star Ocean. The rest are cookie-cutter garbage.

Shining Force II is almost detrimentally difficult, although I love it to death.

Shin Megami Tensei IV might be the best in the main series for the pure fact that it is on a portable machine. Pluto Castle's theme is magical, and incredibly deep from a sonic standpoint.

Metal Gear Solid 2? Not that great.

Genesis had a better sound setup than the SNES/SFC by miles.

Analogue: A Hate Story is the definition of anti-fun.

Also: there should be a place in the world for older fighting games to be played competitively.

Also: there should be a place in the world for older fighting games to be played competitively.

YO... I agree with this. They should have an EVO-like tournament, but exclusively for older fighting games. KoF 98, Super Turbo, Vampire Saviour, Garou MotW. Even throw in some odd-balls like Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha, or Karnov's Revenge.

*Bro fist*

1313714621002.png

YO... I agree with this. They should have an EVO-like tournament, but exclusively for older fighting games. KoF 98, Super Turbo, Vampire Saviour, Garou MotW. Even throw in some odd-balls like Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha, or Karnov's Revenge.

*Bro fist*

Add in KOF 99, Kizuna Encounter, DBZ: Hyper Dimension, Samurai Showdown IV, and MVC Chaos and you've got yourself a deal!!

Etrian Odyssey story mode >> classic mode
don't hurt me mauricio

How can you think that after how fucking terrible the Untold 1 story mode was, at least 2 Untold sounds way better. The simple idea of Story mode in EO games still fucking sucks, but I hope they can at least make them decent.

I will hurt you.

The Konami hate train is the most boring/repetitive thing on GAF right now.

It's crazy to think whilst reading the comments on here that nobody still knows anything about what went down 'cause everyone seems to be an expert on production costs, marketing, business structure and how Konami works. The blind worship of Jim Sterling and Angry Joe just made things worse. Two internet personalities who are well known for stirring shit up in interviews and reviews disregard what Konami ask of them and are surprised when they company act in due course. Maybe Konami don't want to do interviews about their business structure when they're trying to market a very expensive game that they need to sell?

Okay, yes, maybe at the end of all this, if Keighley comes out with "The Final Hours of Metal Gear" we'll know that Konami were complete bastards but until then it just stifles conversation about an exciting game and ruins threads. Comments like "Typical Konami" and "I wouldn't surprised knowing Konami" are just boring and bandwaggony as this 'meme' didn't even exist before this year.

Additionally, if these Konami experts wouldn't stop painting the company as a group of morons who don't know what they're doing despite being in the VG business longer than they've been alive, we wouldn't have these pointless 'concern' threads about MGO.

I'm not defending Konami (OKay, maybe I am), I love Kojima as much as the next person (maybe not as much as Outer GAF) but I wish people would tone it down until we actually knew the truth.
I find the hero worship of angry joe and jim sterling somewhat pathetic. All they are arw just guys with website or something.

They do not have any more inside information than we generally do.

Joe relies on gimmicks.

Pokemaniac

Since I've got some time, I might as well vent a bit.

Dual analog without any sort of motion controls is a terrible control scheme for first person shooters. I have no idea why anyone tolerates this control scheme, let alone actually prefers it. Gyro assisted dual analog controls are a huge improvement, though still not perfect. Mouse and Keyboard is okay, but the lack of analog movement control sucks, and controlling the camera with the mouse makes the camera move in a way that feels super unnatural and immersion breaking. Wiimote + Nunchuk is the superior way to play first person shooters.

BOTH Microsoft and Sony's offerings this gen have been, in my opinion, pitiful. Both of their consoles have one of the weakest library of exclusives that I've ever seen, with incredibly few standout titles for each. When the top three highest rated PS4 games (according to Metacritic) are still ports of last gen games, it is clear that the console is suffering from a dearth of quality content. The hardware itself isn't very appealing either, with both machines basically being spec bumps with little else in the way of meaningful improvement. The Vita on the other hand, could maybe have been successful if Sony had actually cared about it at any point in its lifespan.

The fact that we are currently getting so many remasters of games that are from the previous generation which, in some extreme cases, are barely a year or two old is really bad, and is a symptom of several deep problems that are currently plaguing the western AAA game industry.

The AAA game industry in general is broken right now, and will destroy itself within a generation or two if it doesn't course correct.

Third parties only have themselves to blame for their games not selling on Nintendo platforms. If they want their games to sell, they start putting actual effort into their Nintendo ports, stop expecting late, minimal effort ports to sell just as well as the other versions of the game, stop cutting content from the Nintendo versions of games, and stop pulling crap like burying the fact that the game is even coming to Nintendo platforms deep in their press releases.

The AAA game industry in general is broken right now, and will destroy itself within a generation or two if it doesn't course correct.

Come on you know this is not true. Not liking current trends within the industry is fine and all, but claiming the industry is destroying itself is just outright false. Simple google search should tell the industry is doing fine and still growing fast

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...growing-four-times-faster-than-us-economy-esa

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/10/electronic-arts-stock-price-is-at-an-all-time-high/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044910

AAA game industry will be around for many years to come.

I decided to try out Persona4Golden based on tons of people's recommended game for the pstv. I was never into the persona series but thought that i should give it a chance and decided to try P4G out as it was the most lauded rpg game for the vita and i found it wasnt that good of a game.

It had way too many gotdamn choices which i wouldnt mind if i was going to try roleplaying but there is always a best choice, and having to do this thousands of times really fucks with my brain. When i play rpg games, im always aiming to get the most out of the game, just to be able to see everything the game had to offer.

It has sooo many gotdamn personas that are arcanas of characters you meet in-game in which you soul link with. Then, in order to improve your relation with those characters you need to be carrying the right persona of their arcana and choosing the right choices to get the most points with them...i had to constantly switch out personas and at times restart for choosing the wrong answers.

Also, sometimes i just wanna go fight but cant and vice-versa because i got things to do in both world. Tired of fighting? Too bad u gotta beat this dungeon and those dungeons to complete those quests or otherwise you just wasted your day! Tired of talking to people? Too bad u gotta do it because going off to fight is just a waste of time (if you rescued the person in the tv the very first day).

Overall it just wasnt a fun experience, i may have had more fun just winging it with the choices and all but i just cant do that, Im constantly checking gamefaqs. I had 50hours clocked in and near the end of october. I should finish it sometime but for now im dead exhausted from the choices.

sounds like a classic case of RPG-OCD.

My controversial gaming opinion: GTA is overrated...GTA II was awesome and all, and it was something kinda new back then when I was young...but every outing since, didnt catch me as much as GTA II, I could play GTA II for hours doing missions, or just going batshit insane and all...San Andreas for example was fun to play, but sometimes it felt like "this mission is so pointless and boring...go there...do that...shot...repeat..." GTA IV was even worse somehow...

So yeah I think GTA II is the best game of the franchise and I would hope that Rockstar made a topdown GTA just for fun....

Pokemaniac

Come on you know this is not true. Not liking current trends within the industry is fine and all, but claiming the industry is destroying itself is just outright false. Simple google search should tell the industry is doing fine and still growing fast

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...growing-four-times-faster-than-us-economy-esa

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/10/electronic-arts-stock-price-is-at-an-all-time-high/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044910

AAA game industry will be around for many years to come.

Those do not contradict what I said. The AAA game industry is in a consolidating state where sales are becoming overly focused on a handful of tentpole releases. Not only that, but companies like EA and Ubisoft have been guilty of far too many toxic business practices lately for me to consider their continued success a good thing.

Tenebrous

Sorry to self quote, but...

People argue against on-disc DLC purely to mask the fact they just don't want to pay for something.

What the fuck?

Not sure if it's a controversial opinion or just a harsh truth, but I'm sick of people complaining about business models & franchises when they've no right to do so. Anyone who says CoD is samey, but continues to buy it, Ubisoft games are shit, but preorders them, or EA business practices are exploitative, but go on to play Ultimate Team needs to be slapped.

Almost every single negative evolution of the games industry has come down to spineless players who are willing to bend over for anything shiny and sparkly.

It's even worse than I thought if people are willing to defend non-ownership of physical goods to the benefit of no-one except these gaming megacorps. Wow.

MrBadger

After replaying Super Mario 64 recently, the latter half of the game is kinda crap. Tick Tock Clock has an interesting gimmick but vertical levels are almost always dire, and I'd rather play those high speed levels in Sonic 06 than have to endure the utter boredom/frustration that is Rainbow Cruise. Only level I like after the basement is Tiny Huge Island in retrospect.

People argue against on-disc DLC purely to mask the fact they just don't want to pay for something.

It's really hard to give a fuck about any DLC on-disc or not, unless you get to a portion of the game and it's like "welp, pay up if you want to play more". People complain about it for the sake of 'ethics' and all that but who cares if you're still getting a substantial product for the asking price?

Top Bottom