• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge Plus: Ode To An Unborn Star |OT| Humanity's Last Stand

Thank you to everyone who has bought Ar NoSurge Plus and i hope you guys are enjoying the game. For those still on the fence about buying the game and not sure if you need it yet follow us on twitter. We'll be having a #FreeCodeFriday giveaway for Ar NoSurge Plus tomorrow. It will be posted in the morning, people who follow us will get a notice when it is up~. Good luck to everyone.

For Americans
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS
For Europeans
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope?lang=en

Prelude.

Finally got my copy today. The badge is pretty high quality.

I'm too busy playing
NepNep1
though so I won't start it immediately.

Busaiku

Bleh, almost there, but still haven't finished the Ciel nosurge read.
Dunno why I can't just stay focused on it for too long.

Wasn't too big on it initially, but I liked it through 4, but then I somehow got lost in 6 and have never been able to really keep up with all the crazy since.

RK128

Thank you to everyone who has bought Ar NoSurge Plus and i hope you guys are enjoying the game. For those still on the fence about buying the game and not sure if you need it yet follow us on twitter. We'll be having a #FreeCodeFriday giveaway for Ar NoSurge Plus tomorrow. It will be posted in the morning, people who follow us will get a notice when it is up~. Good luck to everyone.

For Americans
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS
For Europeans
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope?lang=en

I didn't pick up the game yet, but after reading the summary and seeing the story of Ciel online, I cannot wait to dive into Ar No Surge's world :D.

The combat system looks enjoyable, the music sounds fantastic and if the plot of Ciel is any indication, the story here should be very enjoyable to dive into to.

Hope the game does well for you guys at Koei Tecmo and that it brings more games in the series on PS Vita and other platforms in the future :).

Busaiku

After nearly a month, I finally finished the summaries and can finally start this game itself.
I probably should have just read the general summary, cause while I do have a general understanding of what's going on going into Ar nosurge, I'm still so totally lost on some of the finer details. It was fairly easy to follow until all the crazy stuff started happening.
Might've made more sense if I watched the videos, but since I plan to play in English, I didn't wanna go through the hassle.

Bought Ar nosurge Plus physical, meaning I got it more than a month ago. I'm just now starting it up for real.

Having read Ciel nosurge, it's very cool immediately recognizing several characters and continuing their stories. The music is already great, and I think I'm going to like the battle system a lot.

Bought Ar nosurge Plus physical, meaning I got it more than a month ago. I'm just now starting it up for real.

Having read Ciel nosurge, it's very cool immediately recognizing several characters and continuing their stories. The music is already great, and I think I'm going to like the battle system a lot.

Just remember to play in Veteran outside of boss battles if you want a challenge at all.

Or just go Hard the whole game but it's still easy.

I'll try Hard for a while, see how that works out. I don't tend to want a lot of challenge in my JRPGs. I'm mostly here for the story and to relax on the train to/from work.

...On second thought, maybe I shouldn't play this in public...

I'll try Hard for a while, see how that works out. I don't tend to want a lot of challenge in my JRPGs. I'm mostly here for the story and to relax on the train to/from work.

...On second thought, maybe I shouldn't play this in public...

It doesn't have that much fanservice outside of some scenes.

I'm about 4-5 hours in, just got around to controlling the Avatar/Ion. What am I supposed to be doing about equipment? I've made one cathode so far, but that's it.

Do I have to craft all my equipment like that?

I'm trying to finish this fucking game, gonna play like 3 hours at least today.

I'm about 4-5 hours in, just got around to controlling the Avatar/Ion. What am I supposed to be doing about equipment? I've made one cathode so far, but that's it.

Do I have to craft all my equipment like that?

yes, crafting is super important in this game, you craft stuff and then talk with the store owner, then you get more stuff to craft. I'm also going to recommend you to craft two of everything so you can also equip your other party, if you're playing in Normal then you don't need to do that, but in Hard/Veteran you really need it.

There's different types of stuff you can craft, I totally stole this from gamefaqs but whatever:

•Food - Give temporary buffs to attack/defense stats or they heal you.
•Generic Items and Mecha - Useless on their own, but used as ingredients for other items.
•Cathode - Equipped to Delta's or Earthes' weapon to boost attack or defense stats and can give you more attacks for the button it's equipped to.
•TxBIOS - Equipped to Cass/Ion to give you attack/defense bonuses based on what harmonics level you are at. They can also increase the number of defends per turn you have.
•RNA - Equipped to your front/rear line character to give them stat bonuses such as max health, extra blocks per turn, etc...

You also get to see the dances everytime you craft, which is the best thing ever.

I wish you could disable it on the options, since it's nice the first time around, but a bore after the twentieth time.

I NEVER skip them, and holy hell I've seen them so many god damn times, I've spent half the damn game crafting crap.

At least you just have to press X to skip them.

Also, holy shit when I went with
Ion to the Nay
shop and she also got chats from all the items I already did the other team.

Kill me, kill me. I'VE READ ENOUGH ABOUT YOU NOT KNOWING HOW TO COOK.

This game is full of pointless text(which I love).

Shizuka

I NEVER skip them, and holy hell I've seen them so many god damn times, I've spent half the damn game crafting crap.

At least you just have to press X to skip them.

Also, holy shit when I went with
Ion to the Nay
shop and she also got chats from all the items I already did with Delta.

Kill me, kill me. I'VE READ ENOUGH ABOUT YOU NOT KNOWING HOW TO COOK.

I've skipped those. I'm sorry, but I'm only human, I skipped most of the dialogue for items I had already crafted with another pair before.

I've skipped those. I'm sorry, but I'm only human, I skipped most of the dialogue for items I had already crafted with another pair before.

I read EVERYTHING, and it's the reason I haven't finished the game(it sure doesn't help that I'm playing 4 JRPGs at the same time too).

It's hours and hours of reading. I'm also playing in Veteran(even if I had to set the game to Hard for one boss battle that was just impossible) so I need to take my time with crafting stuff for both parties and grinding a bit. THIS GAME IS NOT BALANED AT ALL!

I need to dive and do some Ion stuff... which means more reading.

Ah okay, so I should just craft these duct-tape and popsicle stick cathodes and other equipment just to fill the slots and get a little extra stats, then I'll eventually get access to better stuff, huh?

Ah okay, so I should just craft these duct-tape and popsicle stick cathodes and other equipment just to fill the slots and get a little extra stats, then I'll eventually get access to better stuff, huh?

Craft everything that's new(in yellow), talk with Nay or whoever you are and get more stuff. When you can't get anything more, continue the story. After some stuff happens you will get more stuff.

Craft everything that's new(in yellow), talk with Nay or whoever you are and get more stuff. When you can't get anything more, continue the story. After some stuff happens you will get more stuff.

Awesome, thanks! Looks like I have a lot of talking to do when I get back to Delta/Casty.

So crafting items in yellow unlocks more talking scenes, which unlocks more crafting items? I HAVE to craft the crappy stuff to eventually get access to the nicer stuff?

Awesome, thanks! Looks like I have a lot of talking to do when I get back to Delta/Casty.

So crafting items in yellow unlocks more talking scenes, which unlocks more crafting items? I HAVE to craft the crappy stuff to eventually get access to the nicer stuff?

yeah, craft everything. Also remember which items are sold in every shop as sometimes you will have to go around buying some stuff, I usually just had 5-10 of each "cheap item" so I didn't have to worry for a while.

desmax

To craft a certain item needed for True Ending, you'll need to have almost all items for all shops crafted.

So yeah, have fun, lol

SephLuis

Cool that someone posts in here while I am hearing the OST.
Best thing about the game.

I read EVERYTHING, and it's the reason I haven't finished the game(it sure doesn't help that I'm playing 4 JRPGs at the same time too).

It's hours and hours of reading. I'm also playing in Veteran(even if I had to set the game to Hard for one boss battle that was just impossible) so I need to take my time with crafting stuff for both parties and grinding a bit. THIS GAME IS NOT BALANED AT ALL!

I need to dive and do some Ion stuff... which means more reading.

I also read....EVERYTHING. I hated myself for it sometimes.

That's why I was in no rush to read everything again in Plus.

wait, I didn't know that.

Not like it matters that much as I'm going to 100% this game even if it kills me.

Good luck, mate. Good luck.

I dunno how much text this has, but it feels like I've been reading for ages.

At least this isn't Fate Stay Night.

Time to go with
Kanon
for more stupid synthesis stuff.

Going to post what I wrote in the PSN thread:

I finally finished Ar nosurge Plus, I even got the Platinum Trophy.

What a damn good game, it's clearly a low budget JRPG but you can just feel the passion that the creators put into the game, it sure helps that it has an amazing OST and a fun battle system(even if playing the whole game in the hardest difficulty almost killed me IRL).

It's also a pretty decent port even if the framerate suffers a lot at times, I'm also happy to report that I never had a single crash, which is something that happens to me a lot in the Atelier Vita ports.

I already miss Ion and all the silly cast. ;-;

I really need to check the Ar Tonelico games next.

Shizuka

Going to post what I wrote in the PSN thread:

I finally finished Ar nosurge Plus, I even got the Platinum Trophy.

What a damn good game, it's clearly a low budget JRPG but you can just feel the passion that the creators put into the game, it sure helps that it has an amazing OST and a fun battle system(even if playing the whole game in the hardest difficulty almost killed me IRL).

It's also a pretty decent port even if in some sections of the game the framerate suffers a lot, and I'm happy to report that I never had a single crash, which is something that happens to me a lot in the Atelier Vita ports.

I already miss Ion and all the silly cast. ;-;

I really need to check the Ar Tonelico games next.

Way to go, Mauri-chan! Congratulations!

Should probably get back to this. I think last time I played I synthesized for an hour and then realized there were missable trophies and no NG+. But meh.

The one thing I don't get is why the final boss was so lame, you had to fight basically the same boss TWICE and it had 3 damn boring forms everytime.

It was insanity in Veteran, I sure didn't help that there was a move that was long as hell and sometimes did it twice in a row.

and wtf happened with Zill, she just died with basically no conclusion? Kinda sucks as I liked her a bit.
Should probably get back to this. I think last time I played I synthesized for an hour and then realized there were missable trophies and no NG+. But meh.

There's only 2 missable trophies.

One the first time you get to use Earthes, and another one at the very end of the game(right before the final boss).

Way to go, Mauri-chan! Congratulations!

Thanks, Shizu!

bomblord1

Banned
Just wondering what the consensus of this game is? Is it possible to play through and really enjoy the story without having played the previous one? How lewd is it? Can you make it not lewd with a certain playstyle?

How's the story and battle system? I've been looking at some reviews but they range from a perfect 10 to a 6/10 so I'm not sure which one to take.

JJP12

Finally nearing the end of this game. I found the
Shurelia
ending pretty hilarious. The amount of reading between crafting/talk topics is insane! Or maybe I'm the insane one for actually reading it all lol. The characters have really grown on me and I'm really going to miss them all when its finally over.

Quoting myself from the Tecmo Koei sale thread. Though I might get an answer if I brought my question to the OT.

Sorry to double post, but I thought I should try again.

I've actually looked up enough about the game to decide that I'm interested. The only problem is that I've heard the localization is spotty? Though I think I've only heard that from reviews of the original version on PS3. Did the patch for the original version fix this? Apparently it fixed some terminology errors, misplaced NPC dialogue and some other things, but I haven't seen any information on whether the patch fixed the errors with certain characters' names being switched around several times in the same conversation (Zill vs. Jill).

I'm interested from what I've read, but I want to know if the Plus version has any iffy dialogue anymore or whether it was all fixed in the re-release or patch on the PS3 version? Please respond soon!

As my earlier post said, if anyone has played this game and is reading this before the current sale ends, please respond with your impressions of the game's localization. Are there no problems, or is it sometimes spotty? Thank you!

Double post again, but what is one supposed to do when no one else is in the thread?

I bought the game despite never getting an answer on its localization getting better QA in the Plus version, but so far the Ciel nosurge summary is pretty cool. Only on like part 4 of chapter 2, but it seems like an interesting world. I do have to say that I'm not too bummed that I have to read this summary, because I probably wouldn't have as much patience playing the game when it has little to no gameplay. The lack of exact translation of lines means that things can move along at a good pace.

Sorry, just my opinion, although I may watch the "let's play" sometime later. Cool enough story so far though.

Prelude.

Man,
Nay
is OP as fuck. I'm right before the end of Phase 1 on Ion's side and can't beat her. How much do I have to grind? Also,
I'm not supposed to be able to complete Ion's genometrics now, right?

Prelude.

Alright, I did it. I couldn't get to her in time by killing the enemy in front of her so she kept kicking the shit out of me with her 4 attacks in a row but then I remembered I had a cathode that can make enemies switch row so that worked just fine.

Top Bottom