• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JeuxVideo MGSV 5-day preview - translated impressions

Very much looking forward to the game and have it pre-ordered etc. but does anyone else kinda wish we had a current gen version of claustrophobic, atmospheric base sneaking like this

52069-metal-gear-solid-playstation-screenshot-if-this-one-comes-to.jpg

With a nice simple straight forward plot plus a few twists?

Don't get me wrong I love a good open world game but I didn't really need MGS to become that. Still, am sure it will be great.

Tc91

Someone posted the list of main missions on GameFAQs, saying they found it on reddit. No idea if it's legit. They gave the all of the mission names etc, I'll just give the quantities.

Prologue

Chapter 1
13 missions

Chapter 2
22 missions

Chapter 3
15 missions

Chapter 4
8 missions

Chapter V
3 missions

Epilogue

Can anyone link to this?

Don't get me wrong I love MGS but the idea that the awful shoddy storytelling is part of what makes it great I really do not buy into at all.

Man this shit is so subjective I don't even know where to begin. I doubt many people think the stories in the MGS games are written with any sort of finesse, but they have cool and enjoyable stories full of charming characters and super memorable scenarios. That's why people that like the storytelling like it. Resident Evil has shitty writing and storytelling, but on a videogame basis it's pretty damn fun to follow. Or was, at least. Final Fantasy games have terrible dialogue and translation most of the time, yet people still love those stories and characters.

It's about knowing what it is and how to go along with it. If you personally can't manage it that's understandable, but it's not impossible to see why a lot of people enjoy the stories in these games, and they've always been very story-driven. It's a staple. The original had shitty gameplay thinking back on it, though it was alright at the time I suppose, but with that game it was Kojima's storytelling, details, world building, characters, and pacing that made it thrilling and memorable which led to it becoming a classic.

All this considered, it's not that hard to see why some are relatively hesitant or even concerned about the story in MGSV. A lot of us are simply used to MGS games having a prominent and crazy story and without that, something wouldn't feel right.

I'm feeling global concern

There's nothing to be concerned about, it just depends on how you want your MG to be honest. If you're longing for a linear straight cutscene heavy game well TPP ain't for you. If you liked what you saw in GZ then I think you'll be fine.

Man this shit is so subjective I don't even know where to begin. I doubt many people think the stories in the MGS games are written with any sort of finesse, but they have cool and enjoyable stories full of charming characters and super memorable scenarios. That's why people that like the storytelling like it. Resident Evil has shitty writing and storytelling, but on a videogame basis it's pretty damn fun to follow. Or was, at least. Final Fantasy games have terrible dialogue and translation most of the time, yet people still love those stories and characters.

It's about knowing what it is and how to go along with it. If you personally can't manage it that's understandable, but it's not impossible to see why a lot of people enjoy the stories in these games, and they've always been very story-driven. It's a staple. The original had shitty gameplay thinking back on it, though it was alright at the time I suppose, but with that game it was Kojima's storytelling, details, world building, characters, and pacing that made it thrilling and memorable which led to it becoming a classic.

110% it's not that MGS games are some Shakespeare-esque novels it's enjoyable and full of charm for what it is.

Damerman

I'm thinking it's probably an intentional design choice for narrative. Big Boss is fucking angry and, as such, has to take his revengeance against everyone, so you'll be shooting everyone for no just cause, no greater good. Then, when he's calmed down, then he'll remember the basics of CQC and let the legend come back to life.
Eloquent prose if i've ever seen it.

10/10, would read again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Very much looking forward to the game and have it pre-ordered etc. but does anyone else kinda wish we had a current gen version of claustrophobic, atmospheric base sneaking like this

Don't get me wrong I love a good open world game but I didn't really need MGS to become that. Still, am sure it will be great.

Yes. Loved MGS and MGS2. After that, not so much. I liked 'gamey' mechanics like guard vision cones and grid based layouts. The more open environments riht at the start of MGS were really alienating. I keep meaning to try playing again to see if it clicks but I've never completed 3 or 4

You found something dumb in a game series full of weird and dumb. Doesn't mean the actual stories and characters aren't superbly enjoyable. You reference that scene, but then there's a lot of really cool plot points in MGS2 that people still talk about 14 years later and consider to be pretty brilliant with something to say.

I like your avatar btw :p

RK9039

You found something dumb in a game series full of weird and dumb. Doesn't mean the actual stories and characters aren't superbly enjoyable. You reference that scene, but then there's a lot of really cool plot points in MGS2 that people still talk about 14 years later and consider to be pretty brilliant with something to say.

I like your avatar btw :p

Even ignoring the parrot (not that I think it's dumb or anything) that entire scene was amazing, and it was sad seeing Otacon break down when he leaves the room.

Don't get me wrong I love MGS but the idea that the awful shoddy storytelling is part of what makes it great I really do not buy into at all. It's laziness, it takes time and literary talent to craft an immersive and meaningful story. The nonsense that MGS has devolved into is not that and Kojima is many great things but he is a lazy and bad storyteller.

The games are still great but personally I think they would be even greater if their half baked pseudo-politics was instead intelligent and meaningful stuff that made a statement that is relevant to the world, and if they reigned in characters a bit to make them more relatable.

I think it depends on the player. Personally I think that most MGS games have terrible stories, great characters and some even great meaning. I think people tend to mix all of that when they say "MGS has good story", for example MGS2 (IMO) has the best message in the entire series, MGS3 has the most consistent "plot" and the most charismatic characters, MGS1 was ahead of its time in several departments and MGS4 had a climax that may never be topped in the series.

I think that when talking about "MGS' story" people should try to get more specific about what they are talking about. I still think that the plot/story of MGS V is going to be balls to the wall silly/bad/terrible but I still have hope for the message of the game to be better than the last ones.

Do we know if there's a sweet, sweet new game plus mode?

If it's anything like Peace Walker, you can replay any mission any time you want, friend. Negating the need for NG+

Enemies also supposedly change their patrols, loadouts among other things on replays. Making them scale with you in difficulty.

Even ignoring the parrot (not that I think it's dumb or anything) that entire scene was amazing, and it was sad seeing Otacon break down when he leaves the room.

It works within its own internal logic. Again it's not for everyone and I can see why someone would think the story is total shit, but at the same time if you're able to go along with it, it's a hell of a rollercoaster. I thought the scene was sad, but hilarious at the same time because of Christopher Randolph's gloriously over the top performance. But, I like the character so much so I still felt pretty shitty during those events.

I think it depends on the player. Personally I think that most MGS games have terrible stories, great characters and some even great meaning. I think people tend to mix all of that when they say "MGS has good story", for example MGS2 (IMO) has the best message in the entire series, MGS3 has the most consistent "plot" and the most charismatic characters, MGS1 was ahead of its time in several departments and MGS4 had a climax that may never be topped in the series.

Good post and I agree. "Story" encompasses so many things. Of course, most videogame stories are usually terrible and you can make an argument for these games as well. That being said, there are numerous factors as to why a lot of people enjoy them nonetheless.

Alienous

It isn't much for plot, but Splinter Cell: Blacklist is a great stealth game based mostly on interior areas. The gameplay of Blacklist and Ground Zeroes are quite similar.

Roldan

There's nothing to be concerned about, it just depends on how you want your MG to be honest. If you're longing for a linear straight cutscene heavy game well TPP ain't for you. If you liked what you saw in GZ then I think you'll be fine.

It's just a reference.

I really liked GZ <:
Also, TPP is proving to be an upgrade of Peace Walker in almost every regard — and I loved PW. So yeah, I'm pretty hyped.

Sendero

Just a note on lethal weapons being useless, you can get s-ranks in GZ despite killing every person on the base.
Perhaps in Easy or certain missions with lots of extra points? I distinctly recall to have gotten an A on Hard in GZ (not sure which one), and the only difference was that I killed 1 soldier (a RPG shooter in a helicopter).

Either way, in Ground Zeroes you could use lethal weapons to make noise+distract, turn off lights, damage turrets, vehicles and cameras, etc. So, no need to restrict yourself to the tranquilizer gun and CQC.

Vagrant

Perhaps in Easy? I distinctly recall to have gotten an A on Hard in one mission, and the only difference was that I killed 1 soldier (a RPG shooter in a helicopter).

Either way, in Ground Zeroes you could use lethal weapons to make noise+distract, turn off lights, damage turrets, vehicles and cameras, etc. So, no need to restrict yourself to the tranquilizer gun and CQC.

It's all points based, some missions have less margin for error (no prisoners to rescue). Basically, if you kill, you need to make up points somewhere else, be it rescuing people, not getting seen, no reflex, retries etc. If I recall correctly the difficulty doesn't change the points required for each S-rank. What mission was that? Jamais Vu? I think I got an S-rank on the hard mode Kojima mission despite killing one person accidentally.

It's all points based, some missions have less margin for error (no prisoners to rescue). Basically if you kill you need to make up points somewhere else, be it rescuing people, not getting seen, no reflex, etc. If I recall correctly the difficulty doesn't change the points required for each S-rank.

The most limiting factor in getting S ranks in GZ is time. But if you play normally and go lethal it may be impossible to get and S rank in almost all missions at any difficulty. Also I think the mission where you rescue Kojima is impossible to S rank if you go lethal.

Servbot24

Banned
Open world games are just not good.

This one will have great gameplay though, which is a huge rarity in this genre. Will be interesting to see hoe it pans out.

Vagrant

The most limiting factor in getting S ranks in GZ is time. But if you play normally and go lethal it may be impossible to get and S rank in almost all missions at any difficulty. Also I think the mission where you rescue Kojima is impossible to S rank if you go lethal.

I checked, I had a retry not a kill, oops. Like I say, it depends on the mission, but yes time is a major factor. The main mission, you can play slow, lethal, and get the S-rank. You can also S-rank the eliminate the enemy threat mission killing both, even playing relatively normal.

injurai

Banned
Open world games are just not good.

This one will have great gameplay though, which is a huge rarity in this genre. Will be interesting to see hoe it pans out.

I am worried about pacing, sounds like the guy just bored himself with his own play style. If Kojima took any clues from RDR I think this will be a phenomenal game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to the whole video, yeah, it appears the Jeux Video guy didn't use any of his lethal weapons ("all collected dust") and then got "stuck" insofar as he found himself unable to complete certain missions without better non-lethal gear. Okay. This stuff about requiring specialized Mother Base R&D items to complete missions doesn't sound like an actual requirement for those items, just a personal inability to complete the missions with this self-imposed extremely limited toolset.

Running around a battlefield taking out everyone silently and non-lethally and then sending them all back to your base *shouldn't* be easy, or even encouraged. It's mentioned that he then became frustrated and had to go around doing side ops specifically recruiting high value targets who added a lot to his Mother Base output. Right.... so recruiting high value targets, a lot more important than knocking out and Fultoning every single soldier you see. Sounds like the game is handling this appropriately?

Some ambiguity in the statements as summarized by the video creator, but the impressions are kind of difficult to take seriously overall.

I get the impression it's the lack of attention to Motherbase early on that's the root of most of his problems. I can't say any of this has dented my enthusiasm one jot.

Yes. Loved MGS and MGS2. After that, not so much. I liked 'gamey' mechanics like guard vision cones and grid based layouts. The more open environments riht at the start of MGS were really alienating. I keep meaning to try playing again to see if it clicks but I've never completed 3 or 4

Honestly? No. I think that kind of line-of-sight, top-down style of stealth evolved over 4 games and peaked with MGS2: Substance. I welcome the formula being shaken up.

cackhyena

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but Volume is coming out soon. MGS is an inspiration for that one to a degree. I'm looking forward to it.

Gurish

Yea I agree, I would kill for a bigger scale traditional MGS (not as claustrophobic as MGS1 but much smaller than 5) with lots of gameplay improvements (like we are seeing in MGS5) but with a linear progression and not open world and without mother-base as well and on current gen only running at 30 fps so it would be at the top technically.

I really don't like the direction MGS5 is taking, though I appreciate the fact that the series always evolving and trying new ideas, just don't like what I've seen from MGS5.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

As a matter off fact, yes, that's exactly what I want.

This game runs afoul of many of the reasons I like and play Metal Gear Solid in the first place, I'm nervous as hell about it. The Mother Base management in particular sounds awful and hearing that it's a big part of the game is a huge red flag for me.

That being said, I DID like Ground Zeroes so I do have some hope.

Aurongel

As a matter off fact, yes, that's exactly what I want.

This game runs afoul of many of the reasons I like and play Metal Gear Solid in the first place, I'm nervous as hell about it. The Mother Base management in particular sounds awful and hearing that it's a big part of the game is a huge red flag for me.

That being said, I DID like Ground Zeroes so I do have some hope.
Previous games in the series will continue to exist, MGSV is the logical evolution of what those games *wanted* to be. MGS always prided itself on deep tactics integrated into the gameplay and honestly, the base building in TTP is just a modern example of that.

One of my biggest issues with Peace Walker is that it doesn't give you shit until you're long finished with the story missions and have grinded your way through more shitty vehicle fight missions than could ever be enjoyable. You finish the story with your tranq gun, a couple of rifles and a couple of rocket launchers, which felt like such a step back from previous Metal Gears.

I'd be really disappointed to see MGSV repeat that same mistake, especially if it turns out that all the neat stuff we've been seeing in gameplay demos can only be unlocked after dozens of hours of Mother Base building and crafting. I don't need a Fulton Launcher unlocked right off the bat, but the extremely barebones loadout that Peace Walker saddled you with was a real drag.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to the whole video, yeah, it appears the Jeux Video guy didn't use any of his lethal weapons ("all collected dust") and then got "stuck" insofar as he found himself unable to complete certain missions without better non-lethal gear. Okay. This stuff about requiring specialized Mother Base R&D items to complete missions doesn't sound like an actual requirement for those items, just a personal inability to complete the missions with this self-imposed extremely limited toolset.

Running around a battlefield taking out everyone silently and non-lethally and then sending them all back to your base *shouldn't* be easy, or even encouraged. It's mentioned that he then became frustrated and had to go around doing side ops specifically recruiting high value targets who added a lot to his Mother Base output. Right.... so recruiting high value targets, a lot more important than knocking out and Fultoning every single soldier you see. Sounds like the game is handling this appropriately?

Some ambiguity in the statements as summarized by the video creator, but the impressions are kind of difficult to take seriously overall.

Yeah, from what I read, this is actually well design, it's how games are supposed to be.

One of my biggest issues with Peace Walker is that it doesn't give you shit until you're long finished with the story missions and have grinded your way through more shitty vehicle fight missions than could ever be enjoyable. You finish the story with your tranq gun, a couple of rifles and a couple of rocket launchers, which felt like such a step back from previous Metal Gears.

I'd be really disappointed to see MGSV repeat that same mistake, especially if it turns out that all the neat stuff we've been seeing in gameplay demos can only be unlocked after dozens of hours of Mother Base building and crafting. I don't need a Fulton Launcher unlocked right off the bat, but the extremely barebones loadout that Peace Walker saddled you with was a real drag.

It doesn't seem like it, he was unlocking things right from the beginning, with stealth items unlocking at "level 15". At least we're unlocking before the end of the game, rather way after it. It seems to have improved.

Spinluck

Don't get me wrong I love MGS but the idea that the awful shoddy storytelling is part of what makes it great I really do not buy into at all. It's laziness, it takes time and literary talent to craft an immersive and meaningful story. The nonsense that MGS has devolved into is not that and Kojima is many great things but he is a lazy and bad storyteller.

The games are still great but personally I think they would be even greater if their half baked pseudo-politics was instead intelligent and meaningful stuff that made a statement that is relevant to the world, and if they reigned in characters a bit to make them more relatable.

I always thought MGS games had garbage stories. MGS1 was tamed and straight forward but from there on... Eh.

MGS3 is the only one I liked, but even that has its problems.

Yup, agreed. "I have ignored several major features of the game, so why am I having trouble making any significant progress?" It works very much like Peace Walker. If the player doesn't take the time to develop their Mother Base nor engage in Side Ops and Outer Ops, then they are going to struggle and hit an insurmountable roadblock, and yes, self-inflicted pacing issues will arise. This will happen at one point or another, no doubt, whether it be early on or 70% of the way through the game, should the player ignore such key elements. MGS has always been a series that gives players so many tools to work with, and the Mother Base system in TPP just takes that to another level. As far as the previewers' self-imposed weapon and gadget restriction, well, there are very creative ways of being able to strip enemies of their power, in a non-lethal manner, even without the help of a tranquilizer gun, if Ground Zeroes is anything to go by! Anyways, as a bit of a side note, I find it baffling, the number of people who are willing to go into a game - that they spend their hard-earned money on - with the mindset of "I'll avoid this, that and the other" without considering the thought of giving it a go. This attitude ensures that the person in question will shortchange themselves, and will probably lead to a frustrating experience with this game in particular.

Yup, agreed. "I have ignored several major features of the game, so why am I having trouble making any significant progress?"

To me it sounds very much like he did try to engage with Mother Base as much as possible, but he felt the game turned him away in the early hours by not giving him the tools he needed to do it. To an experienced Metal Gear player it doesn't quite ring true (I'm pretty sure I could Fulton every guard in Ground Zeroes with nothing but CQC, for example), but I can see that being a pretty common complaint among reviewers.

The way I see it, KojiPro has to assume that pretty much nobody played Peace Walker (they want to sell this game to the widest audience possible, and that game sold terribly outside Japan), so all this Mother Base stuff will be completely new to most casual players. MGSV has to be designed in such a way to really convey to players early on that *you should be doing this*, especially if it's going to be required for later-game events. I can see it being a pretty controversial and divisive element in most reviews, much like Arkham Knight's Batmobile; a completely new, heavily featured and absolutely non-optional mechanic in an established series.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
To me it sounds very much like he did try to engage with Mother Base as much as possible, but he felt the game turned him away in the early hours by not giving him the tools he needed to do it. To an experienced Metal Gear player it doesn't quite ring true (I'm pretty sure I could Fulton every guard in Ground Zeroes with nothing but CQC, for example), but I can see that being a pretty common complaint among reviewers.

I dunno, it sounded to me like he pelted through the main missions to see as much as possible and all but ignored MB till he got stuck.

@Kojima_Hideo
&#12300;MGSV TPP&#12301;&#12399;&#12458;&#12540;&#12503;&#12531;&#12527;&#12540;&#12523;&#12489;&#12434;&#20351;&#12387;&#12383;&#33258;&#30001;&#28508;&#20837;&#12290;&#12414;&#12378;&#12399;MB&#12434;&#22823;&#12365;&#12367;&#12377;&#12427;&#28858;&#12395;&#12356;&#12429;&#12435;&#12394;&#12511;&#12483;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531;&#12434;&#12371;&#12394;&#12377;&#12290;&#12511;&#12483;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531;&#12399;TV&#12471;&#12522;&#12540;&#12474;1&#35441;&#12398;&#12424;&#12358;&#12394;&#24863;&#12376;&#12290;&#30130;&#12428;&#12383;&#26178;&#12399;MB&#12395;&#24112;&#36996;&#12289;&#12418;&#12375;&#12367;&#12399;&#12469;&#12452;&#12489;OPS&#12290;MB&#12395;&#24112;&#12427;&#12392;&#12381;&#12371;&#12391;&#12418;&#12489;&#12521;&#12510;&#12399;&#36914;&#12416;&#12290;&#12511;&#12483;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531;&#12434;&#37325;&#12397;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#12392;&#22823;&#12365;&#12394;&#29289;&#35486;&#12364;&#28014;&#12363;&#12403;&#19978;&#12364;&#12427;&#12290;

Kojima just tweeted this. Rough translation suggests that it is related to the very discussion of pacing and progression, if anyone would be willing to translate!

oldboss

@Kojima_Hideo
&#12300;MGSV TPP&#12301;&#12399;&#12458;&#12540;&#12503;&#12531;&#12527;&#12540;&#12523;&#12489;&#12434;&#20351;&#12387;&#12383;&#33258;&#30001;&#28508;&#20837;&#12290;&#12414;&#12378;&#12399;MB&#12434;&#22823;&#12365;&#12367;&#12377;&#12427;&#28858;&#12395;&#12356;&#12429;&#12435;&#12394;&#12511;&#12483;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531;&#12434;&#12371;&#12394;&#12377;&#12290;&#12511;&#12483;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531;&#12399;TV&#12471;&#12522;&#12540;&#12474;1&#35441;&#12398;&#12424;&#12358;&#12394;&#24863;&#12376;&#12290;&#30130;&#12428;&#12383;&#26178;&#12399;MB&#12395;&#24112;&#36996;&#12289;&#12418;&#12375;&#12367;&#12399;&#12469;&#12452;&#12489;OPS&#12290;MB&#12395;&#24112;&#12427;&#12392;&#12381;&#12371;&#12391;&#12418;&#12489;&#12521;&#12510;&#12399;&#36914;&#12416;&#12290;&#12511;&#12483;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531;&#12434;&#37325;&#12397;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#12392;&#22823;&#12365;&#12394;&#29289;&#35486;&#12364;&#28014;&#12363;&#12403;&#19978;&#12364;&#12427;&#12290;

Kojima just tweeted this. Rough translation suggests that it is related to the very discussion of pacing and progression, if anyone would be willing to translate!

At work so have to do this stealthily and fast.

TPP lets you infiltrate an open world freely. First you'll complete missions in order to expand your motherbase. Those missions are kind of like episodes form a TV series. To take a break from the main ops you can either return to MB, or tackle some side ops. You'll be able to witness some story progression even when going back to MB. The story will start to emerge once you've completed a lot of missions.

Nothing new I think.

Pez

You should play.Republique. It's good. =)

TPP lets you infiltrate an open world freely. First you'll complete missions in order to expand your motherbase. Those missions are kind of like episodes form a TV series. To take a break from the main ops you can either return to MB, or tackle some side ops. You'll be able to witness some story progression even when going back to MB. The story will start to emerge once you've completed a lot of missions.

Nothing new I think.

Awesome! Thanks!

MNC

Nothing new I think.

Wow so those ¨episodic¨ things... are only for the first few missions?

shocky2002

Neo Member
Yea I agree, I would kill for a bigger scale traditional MGS (not as claustrophobic as MGS1 but much smaller than 5) with lots of gameplay improvements (like we are seeing in MGS5) but with a linear progression and not open world and without mother-base as well and on current gen only running at 30 fps so it would be at the top technically.

Pretty much turned me off at "30fps". When will this cinematic experience fad ever end?

Top Bottom