• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

But Yang is literally the moody inferior. At least Yun has charisma, they both talk their shit but you will NEVER see Yun come to watch Yang fight.

Yang is better,

Being serious in a fight =/= moody

This is why Vega wears a mask.

[edit]

I hope they don't go overboard with the costumes this time around. Some of the costumes got way too silly in SF4, I'd rather them do "cool" costumes than silly ones.
They can do both.

Yang is better,

Being serious in a fight =/= moody.
He's moody because he actually has a inferiority complex in regards to Yun's natural fighting talent and the fact that he pulled the girl that he always wanted.(Although Shaomei is a decent catch.)

Yun said:
vs. Yang: "Don't be so angry! If you're so sulky, all your little friends
will call you Mr. Sulky!"
Despite that inferiority complex it doesn't make Yang too much of a bottom feeder. He's just Beta, but they are both assholes when it comes to everyone else.
Which is why I fucks with them.

I'm genuinely starting to believe the last two SFII characters are Sagat and Balrog. Four heroes, four villains. People have been clamoring for a charge character, and hey Balrog is one! Sagat is pretty shoto-y, we always have room for one or two dozen more. Hopefully the blue area on that map is not just for Alpha characters. We all need Juri. All of us.
I think Balrog is in but Sagat really isn't part of shadaloo or a villain (if he ever really was) anymore. Not really SFII but I can see Juri getting in instead if the row is actually SF4 characters, though after Vega I'm not counting Sagat out. lol
Don't forget Rolento and El Fuerte.

Straight garbage tier characters.
Don't hate on my boy Rolento.

Village

He's moody because he actually has a inferiority complex in regards to Yun's natural fighting talent and the fact that he pulled the girl that he always wanted.(Although Shaomei is a decent catch.)

Despite that inferiority complex it doesn't make Yang too much of a bottom feeder. He's just Beta, but they are both assholes when it comes to everyone else.
Which is why I fucks with them.

" Beta" you know that isn't a thing right? You know that's not real?

Also they kind of both shit on eachother, I don't think there is much of an inferiority complex there

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yang is better,

Being serious in a fight =/= moody

They can do both.

Of course but I'd rather than just stick with cool costumes. I can't help but groan a bit when I see some of the corny costumes that made it into SF4.

iXsKPP0.jpg

AqrZIZCl.jpg

y u do dis capcom

Then there's all the robot costumes.

" Beta" you know that isn't a thing right? You know that's not real?

Also they kind of both shit on eachother, I don't think there is much of an inferiority complex there
In a lot Yang's quotes he compares himself to Yun and even have moments where he feel uncertain in contrast of Yun's confidence in their ability and disinterest in the rivalry.

I think Balrog is in but Sagat really isn't part of shadaloo or a villain (if he ever really was) anymore. Not really SFII but I can see Juri getting in instead if the row is actually SF4 characters, though after Vega I'm not counting Sagat out. lol

Don't hate on my boy Rolento.

literally get out

High level Rolento is braindead play. El Fuerte is just not a street fighter character. Any character that relies 100% on 50/50 mixups doesn't belong.

I present to you: https://youtu.be/VGfNbxDOcUs?t=1h6m7s

The Crow King

Neo Member
We still get 3 completely original characters for the game. That's what is really crazy.

I mean we could speculate all day about returning characters, but the new ones? Who knows what kind of crazy shenanigans could be in store?

Vice

High level Rolento is braindead play. El Fuerte is just not a street fighter character. Any character that relies 100% on 50/50 mixups doesn't belong.

I present to you: https://youtu.be/VGfNbxDOcUs?t=1h6m...atleast Super Turbo and those games are fine.

Raitaro

I don't think he came out of nowhere. He's on a very short list of characters from Street Fighter 2 that I wanted to see in SFV. He also is a pretty unique archetype in Street Fighter 2 which is important to consider as Capcom wants these characters to be very different from each other.

I love how they changed Vega for V. I've always loved the character design but felt he was somewhat boring to actually play as in IV.

While I'm definitely glad for you in that case, you wanting something isn't really an answer to my question my friend ;-)

What I asked is if there were any clues for Vega's inclusion that we could have derived from Capcom's hints or actions or their partners', like Vega being greatly changed in Omega mode or him getting a toy version or something. If so, perhaps that would help us decipher who else might be coming instead of us going by the (in)famous rumor lists.

Oh, Vega's blonde in this game. Took me a long time to figure out what was off about him. Kinda like how Geese Howard had eyebrows in his KOF XI character selection profile.

Yep, I agree. Why oh why did Capcom feel the need to make this Spanish warrior a blonde (somewhere around IV I guess) when he once was a proud brunette? Blond hair imo should be a somewhat rare feature used to help differentiate a character - not a hair color that is shared by most and serves to be the standard. This isn't Holland, Germany and Scandinavia Fighter, Capcom. (I'm half joking here of course, but honestly I am a bit bummed out by the amount of blondes in the game currently, from a character aesthetic variety standpoint that is.)

Raitaro

Still holding out hope we will see Q appear in the roster.

One of the coolest characters in Street Fighter history imho. Would love to see him come back

Sorry for double posting but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Q return either! Him, Alex, Urien and (a slightly re-imagined) Sean are my most longed for SFIII vets to return at this point.

Guile and the new Nash don't place alike tho so he's no filling any spot. In fact they probably changed up Nash because of Guile. I don't think he'll be on the initial roster tho.

How crazy it would be if we't get a completely redesigned Guile, though...

Yep, I agree. Why oh why did Capcom feel the need to make this Spanish warrior a blonde (somewhere around IV I guess) when he once was a proud brunette? Blond hair imo should be a somewhat rare feature used to help differentiate a character - not a hair color that is shared by most and serves to be the standard. This isn't Holland, Germany and Scandinavia Fighter, Capcom. (I'm half joking here of course, but honestly I am a bit bummed out by the amount of blondes in the game currently, from a character aesthetic variety standpoint that is.)

Blonde Fighter V

Pompadour

While I'm defintely glad for you in that case, you wanting something isn't really an answer to my question my friend ;-)

What I asked is if there were any clues for Vega's inclusion that we could have derived from Capcom's hints or actions or their partners', like Vega being greatly changed in Omega mode or him getting a toy version or something. If so, perhaps that would help us decipher who else might be coming instead of us going by the (in)famous rumor lists.

Well, I don't put any stock into toys or Omega mode being an indicator of who is coming back. I mean, Dee Jay was dramatically different in Omega mode and I doubt we will see him again.

The qualities that dictate whether we will see a character from IV again seems to be a combination of popularity and uniqueness. Vega is both pretty popular and plays pretty uniquely for an SF character. People say "Oh, why Vega over Sagat?" for instance. Sagat isn't likely to make it in immediately as she plays similarly to a shoto despite his popularity.

Mista Koo

I'm genuinely starting to believe the last two SFII characters are Sagat and Balrog. Four heroes, four villains.
But then why would Cammy be placed to the far right instead of next to Chun-Li?

Yep, I agree. Why oh why did Capcom feel the need to make this Spanish warrior a blonde (somewhere around IV I guess)
WFuoYEp.jpg

More like around Alpha.
I think Asians have an ideal image for Europeans/white people where they have to have blond hair.

Scotia

Banned
That would be a big middle finger to us SF3 fans. Classic SF2 characters and "muh early 90s nostalgia" be damned.

This. At times I wished I liked the World Warriors more than I like the New Generation because I'd be happier a lot more often.

emag

I'm pretty confident that the last two in the green box are a WW (probably Guile or Zangief; slot between Chun and Dictator) and a NC (Fei, Hawk, possibly DeeJay; slot above Cammy). Claw takes the slot above Dictator. I suppose it's possible that Juri (or Viper) is in that NC slot, but that doesn't really fit with the overall layout of the character select screen.

Im probably thinking about some other game but wasnt there a character being an old chinese man rocking drunken master style?

Gen's as close as you'll get in Street Fighter (1, Alpha series, IV series).

I hope they don't go overboard with the costumes this time around. Some of the costumes got way too silly in SF4, I'd rather them do "cool" costumes than silly ones.

I would pay good money for an option to disable DLC costumes and alternate colors on my screen.

People are talking like SF3's roster was a "huge risk" that scared people away from SF...

This is revisionist history that doesn't take the environment of SF3's release into account.

Like I said before, in the time between SF2 and SF3, LOTS of Street Fighter related games were released. And, all of those games repped the SF2 cast very well.

We had 5 versions of SF2. We had 2 versions of SFA which had lots of SF2 characters. We had SF The Movie, which had lots of SF2 characters. We had SFEX, which had lots of SF2 characters. We had the VS games which had lots of SF2 characters.

The franchise was already being run into the ground in only 6 years, with the same characters showing up over and over. Heck, when SF3 released, SFA3 was already in production...with, you guessed it, EVEN MORE SF2 characters.

All of these SF2-heavy games came out, and they weren't exactly selling like hot cakes anymore at the time. What makes you all think that if SF3 were filled with SF2 classics, it would have performed much better than those other games? SFA3 barely managed to sell a million...and that's because it was released on a popular console, the PS1 (SF3 didn't even get a true console release, so it never got a chance to sell anything).

SF3 is the popular scapegoat, but it really had little to do with the temporary disappearance of the series. The 6 year flood of pre-SF3 games did much more damage. If you were Capcom at the time, you would have shaken up the roster, too...because what else could you do? Release ANOTHER SF2-like game?

For most people SF2 and the world warriors ARE Street Fighter.

They accept some new dudes being introduced from time to time, but the core and product identity of the game is what SF2 defined back in the early nineties.

If you deviate too far away from that identity, people get confused.

Zubz

Banned
this is lookin like the least interesting SF roster ever at this point

hopefully the newcomers deliver

I mean, who knows? Maybe the green box is still mainline SF characters instead of SFII fighters, and we'll still see Alex and 2 Alpha characters, alongside Juri? A man can dream...

Clawww

I'm assuming vega will have a brown hair alt color, like his color 10 had blonde hair in SFIV.

i doubt we'll get 10 colors this time but I'm sure we'll be able to play brunette vega

For most people SF2 and the world warriors ARE Street Fighter.

They accept some new dudes being introduced from time to time, but the core and product identity of the game is what SF2 defined back in the early nineties.

I think you're under estimating the amount of new blood in the SF scene today that might not have even been alive or old enough to play SF2 an entire 24 years ago.

"Street Fighter" now, is SF4, not SF2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom