• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
11823128_807032132747954_6320350780768798648_o.jpg

11823056_807031992747968_6341036134950153393_o.jpg

11850441_807032169414617_287400288432254155_o.jpg

Hmm something looks slightly off I can't put my finger on what though.

The trees.

Here's some shots of the good version of Majora's Mask (in GlideN64):
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/524/18784947482_ae10feb0fa_o.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/301/18763636936_31f9683fdc_o.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/416/18602144218_c9119aa392_o.jpg[IMG]

It's an oddly beautiful game in it's awkward, polygonal way.

[/QUOTE]

It's because it has such a solid art style. Although clumsy in places, it's the oddities in design that pull the aesthetic together - same goes for Ocarina, though to a slightly lesser extent. People always say these two N64 games didn't age well, but I disagree...

Nerrel

I upgraded to a 970 and it really beats Dolphin's ass. I can run most games at 4x IR with 4xAA now without a hitch.

I'm in the middle of RE4 and it looks great:

20530431666_b8c825271d_o.png

19935819393_6d1ce77558_o.png

20563188121_4fd2d1e10a_o.png

It's kind of sad, as this is the last time I'll likely play this version. Steam version + Albert and Chris' texture pack means 60fps, camera control, and a much better retexture job.... as long as the Steam controller can hold its own against the Wii remote, it's going to be the definitive way to play.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I upgraded to a 970 and it really beats Dolphin's ass. I can run most games at 4x IR with 4xAA now without a hitch.

I'm in the middle of RE4 and it looks great:

20530431666_b8c825271d_o.png

19935819393_6d1ce77558_o.png

20563188121_4fd2d1e10a_o.png

It's kind of sad, as this is the last time I'll likely play this version. Steam version + Albert and Chris' texture pack means 60fps, camera control, and a much better retexture job.... as long as the Steam controller can hold its own against the Wii remote, it's going to be the definitive way to play.

Have you tried a GlovePie setup to try and play with a Wii Remote?

epmode

The Wii remote breaks the game. It might be fun to play a rebalanced version of the game but I always go back to traditional controllers with RE4.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
They look nearly as good as Smash 4 Wii U. If you told me this was a current gen title, I'd believe you had I not been as familiar with the series as I am.

It looks good but like, c'mon bud.

8MylgUZ.png
zIFLKNY.png

Some stuff texture packs unfortunately can't fix

Nerrel

Have you tried a GlovePie setup to try and play with a Wii Remote?

RE4 doesn't offer a cursor aiming option, so there's no way to recreate the same control scheme. Instead, the entire camera will move with every little shake of the remote, and I've yet to find a script anywhere online that lowers the IR sensitivity enough to make that playable. I tried it in RE: Rev 2 and it was a nauseating mess.

It worked great in RE5, though.

The Wii remote breaks the game. It might be fun to play a rebalanced version of the game but I always go back to traditional controllers with RE4.

It breaks the game in the best possible way. Having controls that are too good is never a bad thing. It would have been nice if they spent more time rebalancing the Wii version, but I could never go back to the clumsiness of dual analog if I tried.

3HBUBhV.jpg

o7oIGvp.jpg

gsCFGZD.jpg

4x Native, FXAA. 1280x1024 with black bars. The character models in this game have so much detail. Any suggestions on getting better AA or downsampling options in PPSSPP?

Dicer

Banned
3HBUBhV.jpg

o7oIGvp.jpg

gsCFGZD.jpg

4x Native, FXAA. 1280x1024 with black bars. The character models in this game have so much detail. Any suggestions on getting better AA or downsampling options in PPSSPP?

Sorry but compared to the PCE original, it's all kinda gross...it even moves all janky in comparison, but if for some crazy ass reason people prefer this one, I'm glad it can be "cleaned up"

So what's the deal with per-pixel lighting in Dolphin? I can't find a comparison online, is it more accurate? How does it affect performance?

Daedardus

So what's the deal with per-pixel lighting in Dolphin? I can't find a comparison online, is it more accurate? How does it affect performance?

Here you can find the difference between per-pixel and per-vertex lighting. Per-pixel is usually the more accurate solution. It isn't much of a performance drop on modern hardware, but don't except amazing results with it too. The only reason why it's not enabled by default is that it can cause slight glitches in some games, but with the recent improvements to the emulator those are far and few between.

Nerrel

Here's a comparison:
PPL OFF
PPL ON

Basically, it makes the lighting more dynamic - highlights are brighter while shadows are darker. Curved objects will also appear rounder, which gives a little more depth to the image. You can especially see that the tree on the right is now shaded like a cylindrical object should be, with the side opposite the light source shadowed, whereas before it was a flat looking uniform shade.

It's usually only a few fps worth of performance, so it's worth keeping on at all times in my opinion. Though in some games, like Skyward Sword, it won't do anything at all.

Here's a comparison:
PPL OFF
PPL ON

Basically, it makes the lighting more dynamic - highlights are brighter while shadows are darker. Curved objects will also appear rounder, which gives a little more depth to the image. You can especially see that the tree on the right is now shaded like a cylindrical object should be, with the side opposite the light source shadowed, whereas before it was a flat looking uniform shade.

It's usually only a few fps worth of performance, so it's worth keeping on at all times in my opinion. Though in some games, like Skyward Sword, it won't do anything at all.
And this is more accurate to original GC and Wii lighting?

Here you can find the difference between per-pixel and per-vertex lighting. Per-pixel is usually the more accurate solution. It isn't much of a performance drop on modern hardware, but don't except amazing results with it too. The only reason why it's not enabled by default is that it can cause slight glitches in some games, but with the recent improvements to the emulator those are far and few between.
I guess that's my answer. Strange, when I was first started using Dolphin per-pixel lighting was causing black squares in the middle of spider webs in Twilight Princess, so ever since then I've stopped using it and assumed it was the less accurate solution.

Nerrel

Dolphin's developers had it described as an "enhancement" in the settings tab in earlier revisions, which implies that it's not how the original systems would have looked. It should be more accurate in terms of realistic lighting physics, though. I don't really care if it's faithful to the Wii/GC or not, the point of an emulator like Dolphin is enhancement beyond the original hardware's capabilities. PPL definitely looks better.

Dolphin's developers had it described as an "enhancement" in the settings tab in earlier revisions, which implies that it's not how the original systems would have looked. It should be more accurate in terms of realistic lighting physics, though. I don't really care if it's faithful to the Wii/GC or not, the point of an emulator like Dolphin is enhancement beyond the original hardware's capabilities. PPL definitely looks better.
Thanks, that's the information I was looking for.

bomblord1

Banned

I guess that's my answer. Strange, when I was first started using Dolphin per-pixel lighting was causing black squares in the middle of spider webs in Twilight Princess, so ever since then I've stopped using it and assumed it was the less accurate solution.

No

Nerrel

Just finished what must be my 90th playthrough of RE4. Feels good:

20457661960_05c095682d_o.png

20368697428_a4ba4818d5_o.png

20619409136_1f93065cfc_o.png

This is one of the few games where 4xIR makes a noticeable difference on a 1080p screen, probably because the game's native res was always sub-480p. With per pixel lighting, custom textures and AA it honestly looks better than RE6.

bomblord1

Banned

This is one of the few games where 4xIR makes a noticeable difference on a 1080p screen, probably because the game's native res was always sub-480p. With per pixel lighting, custom textures and AA it honestly looks better than RE6.

Jesus. But yes that looks gorgeous

Layell

It looks good but like, c'mon bud.

8MylgUZ.png
zIFLKNY.png

Some stuff texture packs unfortunately can't fix

yeah I can't add polygons, and I'm not touching shaders at the moment. Plus the fact Wii can't do normal mapping is a huge barrier to making it exactly like Smash 4. But do try to make a fairer comparison now.

11_mario04.jpg

1Ul4SVW.png

Peterthumpa

Zelda Wind Waker, GC version, trying to mimic the HD version look with some additional bells and whistles.

XoXBkV3.jpg

k5TRjhd.jpg

VyjYvCS.jpg

Dolphin, Ishiiruka release 418, AO and a little bit of DoF, AR Code for proper widescreen. Hypatia's texture pack. Reshade Framework with tonemapping, bloom, SMAA and a bit of film grain @ 1440p. Steady 30 FPS.

bomblord1

Banned
Zelda Wind Waker, GC version, trying to mimic the HD version look with some additional bells and whistles.

XoXBkV3.jpg

k5TRjhd.jpg

VyjYvCS.jpg

Dolphin, Ishiiruka release 418, AO and a little bit of DoF, AR Code for proper widescreen. Hypatia's texture pack. Reshade Framework with tonemapping, bloom, SMAA and a bit of film grain @ 1440p. Steady 30 FPS.

But why film grain?

Spladam

Yeah, I could never get the Wii version to emulate right, but I played the GC version a bunch (it was my favorite game on both systems) until Capcom released it on Steam. Yay!

Seik

Banned
Started a Twilight Princess game today, with Tomoya's HD texture pack.

It does make a solid enough difference to me!

gz2e01-6o9qr7.png

gz2e01-7ivr8m.png

Peterthumpa

1JjAjX7.jpg

Yjq7sHd.jpg

fjObPCO.jpg

Dolphin Ishiiruka - 1440p, SSAO, DoF, Texture Pack and Reshade Framework wit bloom, tonemapping, film grain and deband filters.

Daedardus

Finally got around ripping some new games, and tested Kirby and Twilight Princess. TP looks pretty good without texture pack. While the Tomoya one isn't bad, it doesn't really feel the same as the original game. There's some weird glitch going on with the water, in that the shader effect of the waves gets put on Link, resulting in some weird ghosting that moves around.

Kirby looks pretty nice too. There's isn't very much detail to be gained, but everything looks very clean. Textures have this fuzzy feel to them, which is appropriate for the game in my opinion. Haven't played much so couldn't take more interesting screens.

rk5p01-4uwut5.png

rk5p01-5ufufy.png

rk5p01-6ftuqq.png

This is at 5x IR, 16xAF, 8xMSAA, PPL, vanilla for the rest. Runs at 60 fps all the time, I think I can easily do it at 6xIR.

Dolphin Ishiiruka - 1440p, SSAO, DoF, Texture Pack and Reshade Framework wit bloom, tonemapping, film grain and deband filters.

Oh god that's horrible. The film grain ruins everything, can you retake them without it?

Peterthumpa

Oh god that's horrible. The film grain ruins everything, can you retake them without it?

Could try the next batch without it. However, the film grain does look pretty good in motion (less pronounced) making it look "less clean", which IMO, removes a bit of the "dated" feel from the game. Give it a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_r5jqAYlzY

It also helps with aliasing, since using SSAO and DoF does impact performance and makes it impossible to render at high internal resolutions without severe frame rate drops.

Daedardus

Could try the next batch without it. However, the film grain does look pretty good in motion (less pronounced) making it look "less clean", which IMO, removes a bit of the "dated" feel from the game. Give it a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_r5jqAYlzY

It also helps with aliasing, since using SSAO and DoF does impact performance and makes it impossible to render at high internal resolutions without severe frame rate drops.

Oh yeah, that's better. The difference between motion and screenshots is always so big, most of the time I think a screenshot I took looks like ass. It still looks a bit toned down though, like the colours have less 'pop'. I think the clean look actually makes it more of timeless classic. I've recently beaten WWHD on the Wii U so I have no interest in thinkering with the game now, but I'll have to give it a whirl in the next year or so.

Peterthumpa

Oh yeah, that's better. The difference between motion and screenshots is always so big, most of the time I think a screenshot I took looks like ass. It still looks a bit toned down though, like the colours have less 'pop'. I think the clean look actually makes it more of timeless classic. I've recently beaten WWHD on the Wii U so I have no interest in thinkering with the game now, but I'll have to give it a whirl in the next year or so.

The reason is your recent Wind Waker HD playthrough. That remaster is on a league of its own. Can't closely replicate it but the results are good enough for me without a Wii U. :(

So in order to play Xenoblade Chronicles X in december I thought I will give his predecessor a second playthrough. After beating it years ago on the Wii I will try it now due emulation with my new rig. Man this game looks stunning with HD textures and stuff. It looks and plays awesome, I can't touch this on Wii itself or n3DS anymore.

Just a quick grab from the beginning:

sx4j01-2easmb.png

I'm always really pleased with how Xenoblade Chronicles looks on Dolphin. Makes me wanna abandon my n3DS progress and start over.

Super Mario Bros. 3, NES (RetroArch, 1024p, easy-CRT shader)

hFRlNWx.png

Donkey Kong '94, Game Boy (RetroArch, 1024p, Game Boy Pocket shader)

ioiyJ0k.png

Super Mario RPG, SNES (RetroArch, 1080p, easy-CRT shader)

o5cjWVY.jpg

Type_Raver

I'm always really pleased with how Xenoblade Chronicles looks on Dolphin. Makes me wanna abandon my n3DS progress and start over.

Super Mario Bros. 3, NES (RetroArch, 1024p, easy-CRT shader)

hFRlNWx.png

Donkey Kong '94, Game Boy (RetroArch, 1024p, Game Boy Pocket shader)

ioiyJ0k.png

Super Mario RPG, SNES (RetroArch, 1080p, easy-CRT shader)

o5cjWVY.jpg

Wow that looks great!

I occasionally play snes emulated with snes9x on my Surface Pro 2, using a snes like USB controller.

Couple questions, where do i get that easy-CRT shader from? Or is it an option within the RetroArch emulator? Other question, does it require much cpu/gpu power?

Id love to play the games on the go with this look on the Surface Pro 2.

tbd

Finally a game whose texture mods make it actually look better and not odd in any way. The new grass is stunning.

sx4p01-60nks5y.png

Brilliant work.

Finally a game whose texture mods make it actually look better and not odd in any way. The new grass is stunning.

Brilliant work.

So in order to play Xenoblade Chronicles X in december I thought I will give his predecessor a second playthrough. After beating it years ago on the Wii I will try it now due emulation with my new rig. Man this game looks stunning with HD textures and stuff. It looks and plays awesome, I can't touch this on Wii itself or n3DS anymore.

Just a quick grab from the beginning:

Looks impressive. What are your setups?

Top Bottom