• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
This community is starting to go to crap. (Rocket League, not GAF.)

3 straight games a team goes down 2 goals. One person wants to forfeit. Other doesn't. So the one who wants to forfeit starts afking, or playing for the other team.

Makes me not want to play it anymore.

This is 2v2, by the way.

Make that 4 games in a row.

Grinchy

Banned

3 straight games a team goes down 2 goals. One person wants to forfeit. Other doesn't. So the one who wants to forfeit starts afking, or playing for the other team.

This is 2v2, by the way.

That happened a couple times last night to my friend and me when we did 3v3. We had just beaten the #10 and #11 dudes in 2v2 and we were all jazzed up. We went to 3v3 and had some idiot try to leave after we got scored on once and then he just drove around on the walls the whole game.

I had two of my best "I hope this works" hail mary-type goals today. I'll upload them later, but all the "wow!" and "nice shot" spam from the opposing team was beautiful, haha.

AwShucks

This is 2v2, by the way.

All I play is 2v2 ranked and have not encountered much of this, fortunately.

It's all luck who you are paired with. When I play with randoms I have awful stretches and good stretches and sometimes it changes game to game. Met some great people and then some complete turds. 2v2 has been best bet w/randoms as only 1 other person to worry about.

It's all luck who you are paired with. When I play with randoms I have awful stretches and good stretches and sometimes it changes game to game. Met some great people and then some complete turds. 2v2 has been best bet w/randoms as only 1 other person to worry about.

Most of the time it's not so bad. But it's been happening much more frequently lately. Happened once on my team. Happened on the other team 3 straight games.

Miff

So... I just started and I'm playing through the tutorials, and I'm really struggling to get enough height to hit Aerial balls. At the moment I'm pulling back to flip whilst jumping and just about manage to hit the bottom half of the ball. Am I doing it wrong? Or is it just practice?

kaiyo

So... I just started and I'm playing through the tutorials, and I'm really struggling to get enough height to hit Aerial balls. At the moment I'm pulling back to flip whilst jumping and just about manage to hit the bottom half of the ball. Am I doing it wrong? Or is it just practice?

Hold x to jump higher, and if you need to aim yourself up and use boost to fly higher, then do a flip by tapping x and holding the left analogy stick in the direction you want to go ( you have like 2-3 seconds to do a flip)

Soulflarz

Banned

Well, the real answer is: you just started, ignore real aerials in gameplay for now. Missing one is very punishing, and the rule of thumb is basically that if you can't make the same angle on the ground, you can't make it in the air.

So really, just enjoy the game for now, learn the basics and more advanced shots, then try to learn some aerials :3

Dr Prob

Banned
Never really gave much thought to changing vehicles after reading variations on the "small hitbox differences/nothing major" explanation concerning vehicle differences a bunch of times, but today I was in a little funk so I switched from Octane (which I'd been using exclusively since launch) to Paladin just to switch things up a bit.

wtf. Probably overstating it just because it's fresh, but those two cars feel completely different. The Paladin has some crazy-ass turning radius and seems to be more prone to being flipped through even incidental contact. Only positive being that aerial stuff seemed easier to line up, though that could just be an optical thing as opposed to something tangible.

Going to get to the bottom of this! And by that I mean go and fuck around on YouTube because someone probably tested this ages ago.

Well, the real answer is: you just started, ignore real aerials in gameplay for now. Missing one is very punishing, and the rule of thumb is basically that if you can't make the same angle on the ground, you can't make it in the air.

So really, just enjoy the game for now, learn the basics and more advanced shots, then try to learn some aerials :3

Yep. And I'd also recommend not to focus too much on the tutorials. Their usefulness has its limits, especially when you're new to the game. So much of the game is about reacting to and anticipating what your opponents are doing, keeping in mind all that could happen in any given situation, knowing when to take your chance or when to hang back, where to hit the ball, the possibilities and dangers of the wall....etc. All this and more can only be learned through match experience playing with/against other players. In the tutorials you're all by yourself, no opposing player in goal or going for the aerial at the same time as you (and possibly from a better position). Being able to theoretically land every aerial helps, of course, but only so much. Imagine a football player going for a header or a NFL receiver catching the egg: By himself he'll get it every time, having to fight another player for it simultaneously, though, is decidedly different.

So, just play the regular modes and get used to their dynamics. I firmly believe that's the best practice you're going to get. Chances are high you'll be matchmade with players of similiar experience or skill, you will find success and you will fail but that goes for all skill levels of Rocket League as player's ambitions & expectations keep rising. But in case you feel you're too detrimental to your own team or want to practice more advanced stuff, maybe try out 4v4. It's chaotic as fuck but you have three other players trying to correct any mistake you might make. Playing against bots is an option as well, but only for the ground play, I'd say. "Air game" doesn't really seem to be part of their vocabulary.

Hold x to jump higher, and if you need to aim yourself up and use boost to fly higher, then do a flip by tapping x and holding the left analogy stick in the direction you want to go ( you have like 2-3 seconds to do a flip)

The window for the "X-flip" following the initial jump is 1.5 seconds long, to be precise. It's not always the best option, though. Sometimes you want to have a lighter touch on the ball, for example when setting up teammates or lobbing the ball over opponents.

akileese

I really need two more people to do threes with. I'm in silver tier and consistently losing simply because I keep getting drawn against premades. I know they're premades because I draw them over and over again. I was getting close to 600 and now, due to drawing 9 straight premade groups over two days, I'm down under 530.

Anyone up for some 3s later tonight (much later, I'm about to go out) or tomorrow? Definitely looking for people I can play with regularly on PS4.

i cant play this game tonight

why am i sooooo bad

On the plus side I scored my first ever aerial goal earlier today! feels good man

KjRzog.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AOgLy5KEbU

v1lla21

Yup, a little gaf tourney that I play with my brother is totally eSports.
I mean, we are playing for a little prize and is going to be somewhat competitive comes off as rather esport-ish. I get what you're saying though. Lol. I don't follow esports but rocket League is the only one that seems like it's made for it without a lot of bullshit.

Sadly eSport morons ruined this for everybody..

Nah. They'd just be morons then. I'd guess most actual e-sport players would embrace the challenge of mastering new and fancier maps. It'll still be about two teams trying to outscore each other - that's all you need for competitive play. Plus, the current best players all played and loved the original game, so Kronovi will be ready for new maps and wherever he goes, others will follow.

Hasney

Nah. They'd just be morons then. I'd guess most actual e-sport players would embrace the challenge of mastering new and fancier maps. It'll still be about two teams trying to outscore each other - that's all you need for competitive play. Plus, the current best players all played and loved the original game, so Kronovi will be ready for new maps and wherever he goes, others will follow.

I heard that people barely ever played the other maps which is exactly why they only went with standard maps only. I don;t mind if they're there really, but it would have to be a different playlist and then if some playlists don't have enough population, I guess "casual morons" would have ruined the game.

I heard that people barely ever played the other maps which is exactly why they only went with standard maps only. I don;t mind if they're there really, but it would have to be a different playlist and then if some playlists don't have enough population, I guess "casual morons" would have ruined the game.

Ah ok, didn't know that. Maybe they just weren't any fun or most people really do like it simple. In any case, releasing them by the end of the year and keeping them off ranked playlists, as they apparently intend to, would be way too late as most (casual) players will have moved on to the Battlefronts of this world at that point. Better to release them and watch & act on people's reaction now, I'd say.

Personally, I wouldn't mind them either, I think. Though I'd also be content with just minor modifications, like making the goals bigger and placing them up on the walls.

Zoracka

Just bought this game om pc after playing exclusively on PS4 since the beta. I remember the PC alpha version running really well, but it's like night and day.

Since I just started playing on pc, and my rank resetted, I'm looking for a couple of people who wants to play 3v3 ranked (or 2v2). I'm between 1.1k and 1.2k on Ps4, but I'm getting tired of grouping with randoms. I haven't played that much on pc yet, so my rank is only around 600.

I'm located in Danmark, EU and would prefer other people from EU. When not a weekend, I'm usually available after 17:00 CEST (UK time +1, Berlin/Paris time). I do have a mic.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zoracka/

Grinchy

Banned

Then again, getting into online games was often a bit on the shifty side. You might see a ton of servers in the server browser with 50+% of them not actually being active. So just getting into a game could be a pain at times.

If you were hosting, you'd almost always start on Urban to attract people to come to your room. When people were there, they might want an Urban rematch. If they stayed, everyone might start voting in the other maps.

I feel like if the online server list and matchmaking wasn't so spotty in battlecars, people would have played the other maps a lot more. Whenever I got rooms with people who wanted to actually play, we often ended up voting through all the maps. It's just that Urban was the default starting place.

Is there any difference between the maps besides their looks? Are some of them slightly bigger or smaller or something? If not, what does it matter which one you're on?

hao chi

Is there any difference between the maps besides their looks? Are some of them slightly bigger or smaller or something? If not, what does it matter which one you're on?

I don't know if Utopia is bigger or if the starting positions are a bit differently placed on that map, because on that one if you start diagonally from the ball you have to turn more to reach it, while the boost pad is also directly behind you, so you don't have to do a slight turn if you're going to do a backflip to reach it while your teammate goes for the ball.

Other than that I believe they're all the same, just cosmetic differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom