• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I didn't like Micolash either. I respect From for trying to vary the encounters but repeating the opening stages got so repetitive for me in NG+.

I think the most spectacular boss fight for me was probably the Shadows of Yharnam. Deep in a creepy forest next to a giant grave - yep I'll take that!

Being honest though, to me none of the bosses had the epic scale and build up as Ornstein and Smough, the deliberately intimate and 'ruined' fight with Gwyn or the fight with the Iron Giant on the roof of Sen's Fortress. Bloodborne's just a different kind of game.

Yarnham Stone acquired finally. Ihyll Level 1 Boss = rough, Level 2 Boss = pretty easy, Level 3 = pretty easy

Unfortunately...I missed two weapons during my first playthrough because I initially did not know what I was doing: Chikage & BoM.

I am in NG+ and rrreeeaallllyyy looking forward to Cainhurst boss in NG+.... but the real question is: Should I complete the Eileen quest line in NG+ or just fight her so I can get BoM?

Melchiah

I ended up beating him with constant parries, fight was funny.

I beat him with a co-op partner, after failing a handful of times by myself. It took two tries even on co-op. I might try to beat him solo at some point though. It might be a bit easier now when I'm at level 200. He's pretty hard to parry though.

Teach me your ways.

Well, I was probably over-leveled some. Ran Ludwig +10 in 2hand form.

Though some would probably suggest otherwise, I locked on to the Boss. Run up, dodge through any swipes (though, after first going into the zone, he always did a one hand slam while I was running up so I just ran around that). L2 (overhead swing), L2 (overhead swing). From there, it varied on what he did. Tried to stay around his left leg as his right leg would do a stomp. Sometimes he would stomp or slam that would knock me down even if I was under him. Then (most of the time) I either had time to pop a vial or get some rally hits in. I mixed between L2 and R1 depending on whether I was saving back some Stamina for a dodge or escape and often would be able to get behind him and get several hits in before he could turn around.

If he jumps back away from you, run at him, dodge through any attack and L2 a few times again. If he feels like he is just getting to you a bunch, back off a good distance and heal up then charge back in there. If you can, try to back him up against a wall. Final 1/3 of health, pop Fire Paper.

Being underneath is also great because it blocks most of the blood poison rain he does. And while it is doing that, you are getting in free hits. Double win.

Number one advice is this is a boss where you want to dodge into its attacks/body. You feel like you could dodge backwards and/or move to the sides but the thing had crazy reach and usually there was not a good opening to attack with that kind of strategy.

Good fight. I might try Evelyn instead of Blunderbuss against him as well. He used to spam the throwing blade on me, which made healing hard, but I don't recall him doing that jump attack as much as in your fight.
Yeah I swear this game is completely random with boss attacks. Everybody has a completely different experience with them. Like with how I probably got the most docile version of the Defiled Watchdog compared to everybody else. I think one of my previous attempts he threw the twin blades a few times.

Melchiah

Yeah I swear this game is completely random with boss attacks. Everybody has a completely different experience with them. Like with how I probably got the most docile version of the Defiled Watchdog compared to everybody else. I think one of my previous attempts he threw the twin blades a few times.

And I think that's one of the great things about this game. The Watchdog didn't do the area attack against me at all, which I remember happening in your fight. I've fought BSB three times, and in Ailing Loran she was more docile than in both of the main game playthroughs.

And I think that's one of the great things about this game. The Watchdog didn't do the area attack against me at all, which I remember happening in your fight. I've fought BSB three times, and in Ailing Loran she was more docile than in both of the main game playthroughs.
And I believe your version kept charging at you, I only got it once. Makes me wonder if some of these bosses have even more hidden attacks. I know there's this aerial charge attack the watchdog does, but this has never been done on me.

Melchiah

And I believe your version kept charging at you, I only got it once. Makes me wonder if some of these bosses have even more hidden attacks. I know there's this aerial charge attack the watchdog does, but this has never been done on me.

It only charged three times when I beat it, but during the preceding tries it happened more often and was always the death of me. That's why I tried to keep more distance in the final battle, but after the initial charge there was none until the last phase began. I've never witnessed the aerial attack personally either.

It only charged three times when I beat it, but during the preceding tries it happened more often and was always the death of me. That's why I tried to keep more distance in the final battle, but after the initial charge there was none until the last phase began. I've never witnessed the aerial attack personally either.
I think I saw the aerial charge in a Fextralife video.

I saw the aerial charge a few times on my fight(s).

Which brings me to Defiled Amy fight... Saw videos where they said just get by the tail and leg during the final phase and Amy jumps forward. Never saw that happen once. Usually straight up and back down on me. Did they patch that cheese or was I just unlucky?

Melchiah

I saw the aerial charge a few times on my fight(s).

Which brings me to Defiled Amy fight... Saw videos where they said just get by the tail and leg during the final phase and Amy jumps forward. Never saw that happen once. Usually straight up and back down on me. Did they patch that cheese or was I just unlucky?

It didn't happen with me either, but I was whacking the tail instead of standing idle there, after Evelyn + Bone Marrow Ash combo failed. Jumped only once, and right on top of me.

Frodo

Rant: Chalice dungeons are a whole lot of bullshit.

Good idea in paper, but terrible execution. Boring, repetitive and uninspired dungeons... urgh.

Manu

Well, I was probably over-leveled some. Ran Ludwig +10 in 2hand form.

Though some would probably suggest otherwise, I locked on to the Boss. Run up, dodge through any swipes (though, after first going into the zone, he always did a one hand slam while I was running up so I just ran around that). L2 (overhead swing), L2 (overhead swing). From there, it varied on what he did. Tried to stay around his left leg as his right leg would do a stomp. Sometimes he would stomp or slam that would knock me down even if I was under him. Then (most of the time) I either had time to pop a vial or get some rally hits in. I mixed between L2 and R1 depending on whether I was saving back some Stamina for a dodge or escape and often would be able to get behind him and get several hits in before he could turn around.

If he jumps back away from you, run at him, dodge through any attack and L2 a few times again. If he feels like he is just getting to you a bunch, back off a good distance and heal up then charge back in there. If you can, try to back him up against a wall. Final 1/3 of health, pop Fire Paper.

Being underneath is also great because it blocks most of the blood poison rain he does. And while it is doing that, you are getting in free hits. Double win.

Number one advice is this is a boss where you want to dodge into its attacks/body. You feel like you could dodge backwards and/or move to the sides but the thing had crazy reach and usually there was not a good opening to attack with that kind of strategy.

Ha, thanks! I already beat the boss and the game though, it's just that it was nowhere near "pretty easy" for me.

Good idea in paper, but terrible execution. Boring, repetitive and uninspired dungeons... urgh.

They can surprise you every once in a while.

Manu

Oh god Lol, I escaped that situation by killing the wolf through the door with the whip. Sometimes it really pays to use weapon clipping through shit to your advantage.

Indeed.

My Gascoigne strategy during his first phase consists entirely of charged R2s through the graves lol

Indeed.

My Gascoigne strategy during his first phase consists entirely of charged R2s through the graves lol
It really helps out in Upper Cathedral Ward since you can kill the Brainsucker with the key through the door with the whip. Makes the later room much more manageable with one less brainsucker.

I really need to do a whip run sometime.
I do not know why people shit talk that weapon. I got the platinum with my threaded cane maining character. It's quite effective and versatile once you get used to it. Sure it's not a charge R2 for the win weapon, but it's great to use.

Melchiah

I do not know why people shit talk that weapon. I got the platinum with my threaded cane maining character. It's quite effective and versatile once you get used to it. Sure it's not a charge R2 for the win weapon, but it's great to use.

Same here, excluding two boss battles on the first playthrough. The R2 spin-to-win seems like such a boring style to play.

Really? You never got one-shot by the magic missiles? You haven't had the pleasure of being killed in the air on your way into the arena?

I also killed Micolash first try. In fact it was the only boss I killed first try outside of Upper Cathedral Ward (which I left for the end after even depth 3 chalices so I was overleveled), so it's not because I'm awesomesauce or anything: it just seems to be a quite luck-based boss. I don't even remember what those missiles are or what you mean by killed in the air. :D

Unfortunately...I missed two weapons during my first playthrough because I initially did not know what I was doing: Chikage & BoM.

Can you even miss the Crow Hunter's Badge? I though it dropped from her no matter how she died.

How deep are you? The first few are boring, but they start getting much better around layer 3.

I also killed Micolash first try. In fact it was the only boss I killed first try outside of Upper Cathedral Ward (which I left for the end after even depth 3 chalices so I was overleveled), so it's not because I'm awesomesauce or anything: it just seems to be a quite luck-based boss. I don't even remember what those missiles are or what you mean by killed in the air. :D
Yeah if he never does the magic attack it's a trivial fight for sure, so if he doesn't do it during your first attempt I can see how you'd just breeze through.

What I mean by "killed in the air" is that sometimes when you drop into the last area, he'll do that magic attack as you're falling and you're dead before you can even do anything.

Melchiah

How deep are you? The first few are boring, but they start getting much better around layer 3.

I beat also Paarl, Amygdala, and CE on the first try, but I was probably overleveled for the first two. I tend to have problems with the more aggressive bosses, like Gascoigne, Abhorrent Beast, and Pthumerian Descendant. I was also never targeted by missiles, while I was in the air during the fight against Micolash.

The chalice dungeons definitely get better after the first ones. Isz, and its alien theme, was probably my favorite of them. Hated the Chime Maidens and their red spiders in Loran.

Can you even miss the Crow Hunter's Badge? I though it dropped from her no matter how she died.

I totally missed her somehow and never saw her once. That's okay because my mistake allowed me to set up this final picture this afternoon:
40Qg26U.jpg

Almost looks like the Bath Messengers are cheering my achievement...

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
got that platinum :)

after the defiled dungeon it was pretty much in the bag.

still didn't enjoy this game as much as other From Soft games.
Bloodborne was a bit soulless when it was all said and done.

Melchiah

got that platinum :)

after the defiled dungeon it was pretty much in the bag.

still didn't enjoy this game as much as other From Soft games.
Bloodborne was a bit soulless when it was all said and done.

Nah, Lovecraftian horror always wins over medieval fantasy in my book, and the combat is so much better. I also like how the inventory isn't bloated (apart from blood gems), and you can concentrate on mastering a set of weapons with different characteristics.

EDIT: On a side note, I think there are two kinds of players, those who like to have a wide variety of weapons with different aesthetics, and those like me, who want to stick with one and make it stronger. I actually prefer it this way, as it always pained me in other RPGs where you had to abandon the weapon you used for a more powerful one, eventhough the one you had was visually more to your taste. I've also kept on using Staff of the Void in Dragon Age: Inquisition, as the better ones just didn't please my eyes.

Soulless is the last thing I would call Bloodborne. Sure it's not as varied and content packed as the other Souls games, but it has the most style and creativity put into it of the 4.

Kweh

Almost at the end of my 2nd play through and only just found that you can go behind the building in the Hunters Dream. Anything worthwhile happen there other than being able to decorate your Messengers?

Soulless is the last thing I would call Bloodborne. Sure it's not as varied and content packed as the other Souls games, but it has the most style and creativity put into it of the 4.

Yeah if you played the other souls games in depth you can find BB lacks variety and interconection between the areas but the art direction and atmosphere is superb.

Almost at the end of my 2nd play through and only just found that you can go behind the building in the Hunters Dream. Anything worthwhile happen there other than being able to decorate your Messengers?

You can find Gehrman sleeping there, you can "talk" to him and he will give you interesting bits of lore

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
the art direction and atmosphere is superb..
Bb didn't do it for me but I absolutely agree.

lol...That "soulless" comment was a bit of a pun. I'm surprised that went over so many heads. It has gotten me curious about cosmic horror though.

Frodo

Just killed Amygdala on the Defiled Chalice. Hope it goes straight to amygdala hell. Fucking bastard.

Super special thanks for the two hunters who were super helpful and didn't die.

Holy shit, best PvP kill(s) ever LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPs_v2JAwjo

(Sorry if a repost, my first time seeing it)

OMG! That would make me so mad, but it is so funny! lol

Edit 2: why do I always get stuck OUTSIDE the fog wall?
Does it happen to you guys as well? Being summoned and not being able to enter the boss area?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Edit 2: why do I always get stuck OUTSIDE the fog wall?
Does it happen to you guys as well? Being summoned and not being able to enter the boss area?
In some cases you can only cross the wall once the host has engaged with the boss (i.e. makes the boss lifebar appear). So for example against Rom, you'll be stuck outside the door until the host jumped down the lake and aggroed Rom for the first time. For Martyr Logarius, it's only once the host walked a bit further to trigger the cut scene where the boss appears. And so on.

Not sure if that's what you're referring to. If you mean you are unable to cross the wall for the whole duration of the boss fight, then I have no idea, never happened to me.

Top Bottom